PDA

View Full Version : 90g 4 foot upgrade to 125 6 foot, is it worth it??

tony_3a
03-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Hey guys, Im having a tough time with this one.

I currently have a 90 mixed reef, and am contemplating going up to a 125, but im wondering in your opinion is it worth it?

I want to be able to keep a couple tangs or angels, something along those lines, it would be for about 2 years i would assume then something bigger.

Thanks for any input :)
Tony

On one more thing, do you think i could use my 6 bulb t5ho tek light for the six foot, just put it up a bit higher to cover out outer sides, i actually wouldnt think it would be that bad, the tank im looking at is double corner overflows that are black, might be kind of cool. (sorry for the wait dj drew).

naesco
03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Hey guys, Im having a tough time with this one.

I currently have a 90 mixed reef, and am contemplating going up to a 125, but im wondering in your opinion is it worth it?

I want to be able to keep a couple tangs or angels, something along those lines, it would be for about 2 years i would assume then something bigger.

Thanks for any input :)
Tony

On one more thing, do you think i could use my 6 bulb t5ho tek light for the six foot, just put it up a bit higher to cover out outer sides, i actually wouldnt think it would be that bad, the tank im looking at is double corner overflows that are black, might be kind of cool. (sorry for the wait dj drew).

It it worth it.
Ask anyone who has kept a tang or two in a four-footer and has moved up to a 6 footer.

The behaviour of the tangs is really noticeable. Instead of kinda just hanging around the tangs change to a fish that is motoring back and forth and obviously enjoying the difference. You can almost see them smiling at you and thanking you.

Aquattro
03-04-2011, 03:45 PM
I didn't notice any difference in my tangs going from a 90 to a 180, although they now have room to get up to fragging speed.
But, bigger is always better, it gives more room for fish and corals to grow. 90 to 125 isn't a huge jump in volume, but does give you an extra couple of feet to add more coral. Lots of 180g tanks up for sale lately at really good prices, maybe go for a bigger upgrade :)

StirCrazy
03-04-2011, 04:49 PM
not worth it in my opinion. you will not be able to use your lights and get coverage and strength. now if you were to go to a 6 foot tank that is 2 foot wide then it is worth it as you get more front to back space which had more of a dramatic effect than going longer.

as for the tank.. the tank is still narrow and realy can't tunr around any better, so there is where wider is better also. people tend to try justify there getting a longer tank by saying there tangs are more happy, don't want to bust anyones bubble but tangs are a fish and have no emotions, so how are they felling happier, and how did they tell you what they are felling for that matter :rolleyes:

Steve

tony_3a
03-04-2011, 05:21 PM
This is very interesting, lots of varying opinions, i would go larger, i would like the extra space, but the thing is, i live in a townhouse and this tank is in my living room against a wall, and i think a 180 would just be too big and look out of place. I guess any input on that subject would be appreciated too. Also it seems the cost of equipment goes up a lot.

Thanks again guys
Tony

tony_3a
03-09-2011, 09:47 AM
I am still thinking guys, any more input from anyone? I am right on the fence???

Thanks again
Tony

The Codfather
03-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Just a thought, but if I was looking at an upgrade, I would get the largest tank possible for the area I had. That being said, you figure a 180 is too large, is it the 24" width that's the problem? If your limited to an 18" width, aside from getting a custom build, your getting to a limited amount of tanks available.
A 72" 135g is already 24" deep, I think an option is going longer to an 96". If this is not an option, this tank might be the size your looking for. There is nothing worse than upgradeing just to realize you should have gone bigger. Just remember your going to increase your volume by 1/3, this is going to increase your costs as well in the future for maintainance, as well as a possibility of equipment upgrades.
Just my thoughts. An upgrade is good, but a lot of work comes with it.

lastlight
03-09-2011, 03:11 PM
I'd personally only upgrade if it was both length and width. My wife has said the same before so take that for what it's worth.

naesco
03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I am still thinking guys, any more input from anyone? I am right on the fence???

Thanks again
Tony

Sitting on the fence, eh.
Sit back and picture these fish swimming in your tank.(video stolen from amoreira)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8EDNWgfQEA

Aquattro
03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
I'd personally only upgrade if it was both length and width. My wife has said the same before so take that for what it's worth.

Um, this is a family show, mister!!

lastlight
03-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Um, this is a family show, mister!!

Brad come on now. What I meant was it helps to have your significant other on-board with the decision. Makes it happen =)

Parker
03-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Brad come on now. What I meant was it helps to have your significant other on-board with the decision. Makes it happen =)

You aren't concerned that she was thinking about upgrading?

lastlight
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
You aren't concerned that she was thinking about upgrading?

Certainly not when I'm staring at a 400g 3 feet from my laptop that's full of water lol.

The Grizz
03-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Forget the 6' and just go to the 8'er X 2' X 2' it would be the best decision you ever made :twised:

tony_3a
03-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Hahaha awesome guys, thanks for the input, i will admit, the fish in the video do seem a lot more relaxed than mine do right now, they are all healthy and such, but there is for sure some aggression between my angel and the tangs.

Also on another note, my wife says any more width would not fit in the living room its going in. :redface:

Thanks for everything.

If dj drew doesnt hate me to much, and gives me a good deal, i think ill go for his tank.

Tony

Ps, i think the 4 foot will be fine, his has duel corner overflows, so theres not much area that would not have light on it.