PDA

View Full Version : Vortech Mp10/40 ecotech upgrade

asylumdown
02-26-2011, 02:18 AM
I have a Vortech MP10, a Vortech MP20, a Koralia 2 and the return from the sump powering the flow in my 90 gallon. I've got the Vortech's set on reef crest mode and things have been going great, but I'd really love to ditch the Koralia altogether.

I just ordered the ecotech upgrades for my vortechs, turning my MP20 in to an MP40 w/wireless, and the MP10 in to an MP10 ecotech w/wireless. They are on opposite sides of the tank, an I'm planning on slaving the MP10 to the MP40.

Has anyone here had experience with these guys? I've got a fully mixed reef, lots of SPS and LPS, so I'm not sure what mode/what power to run the new controllers at.

BlueTang<3
02-26-2011, 02:21 AM
It all depends on your substrate if you have fine sand it will be blown everywhere by a mp40 on high. I have best luck in purple (reef crest mode)

asylumdown
02-26-2011, 02:35 AM
Are MP40s really that much more powerful than MP20s? they're the same pump, just different drivers...

BlueTang<3
02-26-2011, 03:31 AM
What they do is just increase the speed with new programming in the driver. Max speed with the 20's 2000 gph max speed with your your new 40 3200 gph. You will notice a increase in the level of audible noise on the dry side but it depends on the speed you run the pump at.

mike31154
02-26-2011, 03:48 AM
I run the two MP40W ES on my 77 in the EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode (TSM) at just under max power. Occasionally I'll also switch them to the EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode. I upgraded the drivers to EcoSmart models some time ago and figure since I paid for the drivers with the new EcoSmart modes, why not use them? The EcoSmart modes provide the most benefit when you have 3 pumps in Master/Slave configuration, one on each end and one on the back glass. On your 90 gallon, two MP40s with the MP10 on the back glass would be ideal, then you could definitely lose the Koralia. With an MP40 & an MP10, you'll probably need to keep the Koralia going on a tank your size with SPS corals, depending on your aquascaping I suppose.

The MP20 to MP40 upgrade includes a larger power supply in addition to the new driver. This provides the added power to drive the MP40 to the significantly higher max flow rate over an MP20.

asylumdown
02-26-2011, 03:50 AM
thanks!

I notice in your signature line that you've got 2 MP60s. I'm building an in-wall 320 gallon tank (6'x3'(34" actually)x30") in a house I'm building right now. Still trying to decide how to power supplemental flow on top of the return pumps given that the tank will be open on both long sides. All of my pumps will need to be on the far sides of the tank, so I was thinking either 4 MP40's or 2-4 MP60's

How do you have your MP60s arranged in your tank? If they're opposite each other, do you find they're powerful enough to not leave big dead spaces in the middle of the tank?

asylumdown
02-26-2011, 03:57 AM
I run the two MP40W ES on my 77 in the EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode (TSM) at just under max power. Occasionally I'll also switch them to the EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode. I upgraded the drivers to EcoSmart models some time ago and figure since I paid for the drivers with the new EcoSmart modes, why not use them? The EcoSmart modes provide the most benefit when you have 3 pumps in Master/Slave configuration, one on each end and one on the back glass. On your 90 gallon, two MP40s with the MP10 on the back glass would be ideal, then you could definitely lose the Koralia. With an MP40 & an MP10, you'll probably need to keep the Koralia going on a tank your size with SPS corals, depending on your aquascaping I suppose.

The MP20 to MP40 upgrade includes a larger power supply in addition to the new driver. This provides the added power to drive the MP40 to the significantly higher max flow rate over an MP20.

You can slave two pumps to one master? I thought one master could only have one slave (and for all the rest of you... Get your minds out of the gutter!)

The Codfather
02-26-2011, 04:00 AM
yes you can slave multiple pumps to one master. Personally I would go with 4 40's, it will give you better placement options.

asylumdown
02-26-2011, 04:03 AM
yes you can slave multiple pumps to one master. Personally I would go with 4 40's, it will give you better placement options.

I was afraid you were going to say that.

500 bucks per pump... gulp! Save for retirement, or have an awesome tank...

good thing I'm still young!

Smudge
02-26-2011, 04:06 AM
I am running 2 MP40 ES on my 150 and more than enough flow for me. Usually run them in Tidal or Nutrient Transport mode. I don't think there is a limit on the amount of slaves you can have. If in doubt go to Ecotech site and download the manual.

The Codfather
02-26-2011, 04:10 AM
I was afraid you were going to say that.

500 bucks per pump... gulp! Save for retirement, or have an awesome tank...

good thing I'm still young!

Know what you mean, they are quite pricey and I am not totally sold on them yet. I have 2 mp40w es right now, but have opted to use 4 tunze wave boxes in my new build, I know they are quiet and bought all 4 used with a 7095 controller for about 800 total. I will try the tunze first, but may go to the vortech's down the road.

puffer
02-26-2011, 04:20 AM
Great timing!!!

I have a 300g (6ft) in the wall tank for a mixed reef and I just purchased 2 MP40's. My tank's been cycled for a while but just firing it back up. Assuming that I have 2 towers of live rock spaced away from the back wall, what are your thoughts on best placement of these 2 MP40's and the modes plus I have up to 4 additional powerheads?

Someone suggested to place one at each end and face them against each other to give a random current and a different person suggested against it because they counteract each other therefore not maximizing the flow. Your thoughts?

Thanks

The Codfather
02-26-2011, 04:27 AM
Great timing!!!

I have a 300g (6ft) in the wall tank for a mixed reef and I just purchased 2 MP40's. My tank's been cycled for a while but just firing it back up. Assuming that I have 2 towers of live rock spaced away from the back wall, what are your thoughts on best placement of these 2 MP40's and the modes plus I have up to 4 additional powerheads?

Someone suggested to place one at each end and face them against each other to give a random current and a different person suggested against it because they counteract each other therefore not maximizing the flow. Your thoughts?

Thanks

Download the manual, it will give you an idea for placement and options. With the pumps at opposite ends, you can achieve a few different things, but again, depends on what effects your after.

asylumdown
02-26-2011, 04:38 AM
just ordered a second MP40... I'll try and slave them all together and see how it goes.

I shouldn't be getting this excited about water pump. I really shouldn't.

BlueTang<3
02-26-2011, 05:47 AM
just ordered a second MP40... I'll try and slave them all together and see how it goes.

I shouldn't be getting this excited about water pump. I really shouldn't.

I have the 2 60's opposite sides of the tank on opposite corners. I am having a few issues with the pump and having difficulty getting service. I think the next pumps i buy will be tunze also.

mike31154
02-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Options for configuration with mulitiple VorTechs is almost limitless. Your wallet is the limiting factor I reckon. Number of slaves as already mentioned is unlimited. You can also build separate master/slave groups on the same system. Some folks even run them all randomly on their own schedule for some really chaotic results.

Surprised to hear there are issues with the MP60s. As far as service is concerned, IME EcoTech is generally very responsive and forthcoming.

asylumdown
02-27-2011, 12:12 AM
I've been looking at videos of what these puppies can do on pulse mode. My tank water level is full to the rim when the return pump is running so I don't think I'll ever be able to use those modes, but this will give me 2 MP40s and 1 MP 10 on my system. I'm going to put the MP40s opposite each other and the MP10 on the back wall and play around with things and see what I can achieve in terms of flow patterns.

Nutrient export mode looks interesting, but if it makes to much of a wave there's going to be water all over the floor...