PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops questions

Doug
02-20-2011, 12:09 AM
:mrgreen:

My wife said you had a flat water rate, no meters. Correct? Is it true the hydro is increasing a fair bit to pay for upgraded metering? I cant move there if its to expensive. :lol:

Everything she finds is more than here. Although some of the housing seems reasonable.

I going to live next to Steve..... :tea: The we can drive over together to visit Brad.......:eyebrows:

sick lid
02-20-2011, 01:05 AM
Meters are coming, but there is only one thing to remember- Kamloops versus Manitoba

Skimmerking
02-20-2011, 01:14 AM
ya its more expensive for hydro vs manitoba.
its .587 per KW here

and ya ok you do have better water. ad its humid there too. and why on earth Doug would you wanna live close to a Retired Navy guy. can anyone say. liquid soap. "

bend over and I'll slip ya a bar of steel Billy!!!"

bloat
02-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Don't forget about our high municipal taxes here too!
its a great city to live in, and its close to every outdoor recreation amenity, but expensive to live in.

StirCrazy
02-20-2011, 07:04 PM
its .587 per KW here

and ya ok you do have better water. ad its humid there too. and why on earth Doug would you wanna live close to a Retired Navy guy. can anyone say. liquid soap. "

bend over and I'll slip ya a bar of steel Billy!!!"

its humid where? definatly not in kamloops concidering we are classed as a semi arid desert.

Hydro is not going up to pay for water meters as the water is a city owned utility and hydro is provincialy owned, and in fact most people will end up paying less for there water with the meters, but that allso will depend on how much you water your lawn. when I moved here I could not believe the water waist, for instance my sprinkler system was set to water ever second day, I switched it right away to every 3rd day and this year I will try every 4th day

Steve

StirCrazy
02-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Don't forget about our high municipal taxes here too!
its a great city to live in, and its close to every outdoor recreation amenity, but expensive to live in.

taxes arn't bad, kinda on the lower side of average. I am paying less than I did in langford, and for the same house in alberta I am paying over 1500 bucks less so I can't complain there, but also a lot of people here seamt to group the city utility into there taxes and that part will be going down with the water meters also.

Steve

StirCrazy
02-20-2011, 07:08 PM
:mrgreen:

I going to live next to Steve..... :tea: The we can drive over together to visit Brad.......:eyebrows:

actualy there are some nice houses here for sale and that would work out good.. I could leave my tank shut down and just build things for your tank, and help you so I wouldn't need one here :mrgreen:

as for Brad, its his turn to drive up and see me :wink:

Steve

StirCrazy
02-20-2011, 07:37 PM
its .587 per KW here

yup huge difference we are .0627/KWh :mrgreen:

what is your natural gas price in manatoba out of curosity.. this is the first time I have owned a houe that uses natural gas for heat and hot water ours is 7.94/GJ which is 1/2 the price of nat gas in Victoria.

its funny as my house in vic was electric heat with a gas fireplace and when I added everything up water, power, gas, garbage, ect... we are paying 200.00/month less in kamloops than we wer
e in Vic.

Steve

bloat
02-20-2011, 11:40 PM
you mentioned you water every third day....better watch it; as the city will fine you if you don't water on your designated day (odd or even)

as for taxes....do your own research....you'll find municipal taxes are among the highest...compared to similar sized cities across canada....and they have continually been going up.
Brand new houses, 3-4 bedroom, can expect to pay between 4-5K a year.

Doug
02-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Those taxes you quoted for a new house are the same or worse here. Winnipeg & Brandon are terrible for property taxes.

I cant compare as thats one thing I have not checked yet, but have been told its similar or cheaper than here.

I asked if hydro rates were going up Steve because of the smart meters they are app. switching to?? Would guess its to cover that cost. Cant comment on gas, as all electric but Mike should know, he has gas. Not much difference in hydro rates at present.

Why did you pick there from Victoria Steve, if you dont mind me asking.

I,m looking as family members, {daughter & her husband, {and my boss} & grandkids}, are likely moving there. No to mention my brother lives in Langley. And although my oldest boy is still here in Manitoba, my youngest is in Hinton, just up #5.

However at this stage of life, cost of living is pretty important.

Perhaps something out a bit or in Chase or elsewhere not to far away.

muck
02-21-2011, 05:17 AM
Cant comment on gas, as all electric but Mike should know, he has gas.
:pound:

bvlester
02-21-2011, 07:36 AM
I moved back here in 2006 from the Peg the climit is sort of like Carberry Manitoba the winters are far better than Manitoba. I hate those -50's temp days. Taxes I find are a little less than in the Peg. cost of living is a bit less cheeper to heat your house here. the electric is similar. my gas is about $40 per month on equal payments, we do supliment with wood heat. lots of hunting and fishing here many out door activities around Kamloops.

Bill

Doug
02-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks Bill. Sounds like some good comparisons. Hmmm, wood heat. I miss mine. Always wanted a property where I could cut my own.

Yes Ryan, I realize I said that. :lol: :lol: But he does. :D

StirCrazy
02-21-2011, 05:19 PM
you mentioned you water every third day....better watch it; as the city will fine you if you don't water on your designated day (odd or even)

as for taxes....do your own research....you'll find municipal taxes are among the highest...compared to similar sized cities across canada....and they have continually been going up.
Brand new houses, 3-4 bedroom, can expect to pay between 4-5K a year.

nope I went and talked to the city, and asked them if they were more interested in water concervation or with which day and they said the third day is better and they made a note on my property file about it.

I don't find the taxes that bad, in Leduc they were higher and I don't see how a brand new 3 bedroom house is going to pay 2500 to 3500 more than my 3 bedroom house. Maybe if you have one of the 800000.00 buck houses in the fancy areas but a normal house will be no where near that much.

Steve

Skimmerking
02-21-2011, 05:28 PM
yup huge difference we are .0627/KWh :mrgreen:

what is your natural gas price in Manitoba out of curiosity.. this is the first time I have owned a house that uses natural gas for heat and hot water ours is 7.94/GJ which is 1/2 the price of nat gas in Victoria.

its funny as my house in vic was electric heat with a gas fireplace and when I added everything up water, power, gas, garbage, ect... we are paying 200.00/month less in kamloops than we wer
e in Vic.

Steve hey Steve ya i think that its .0587 per KW so its pretty close i didn't think yours was that cheap too. Wow pretty cheap liviing there in Kamloops I didnt know that it was that dry there really when I was up visiting Leah it was humid there.

StirCrazy
02-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Why did you pick there from Victoria Steve, if you dont mind me asking.

we for me I wanted to go back to alberta, but the wife had family here. so it was a compromise, but I am realy happy with it, it is a big city with a small town attitude, it took a while for me to get used to everything being closed on the weekends except the big box stores, but there is a huge sence of comunity and lots of stuff going on. there is a farmers market during the spring to fall seasons down town every sat and wensday. very good city for sports and out door activitys. a friend of mine wants me to get a quad so he can start showing me fishing holes.. aparently there are over 200 lakes with in 1 hour of kamloops.

the summers are hot.. damn hot but I love it, the winters are mild with a normal low of -10 and high of 0 but we do get cold snaps down to -20 (lows)

as for where to buy I went with water.. I ended up deciding I didn't want to be on a well so I bought in dallas on the river side. one block from me there is a house for sale for 2.2 mill :mrgreen: accros the street therte is one for sale for 280. nice quiet area bigger lots (hard to find now) and a bunch of good niebours

Steve

bvlester
02-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Steve is in a good area and he is right we have everything needed and with a trip to the coast once in a while you can have it all, Vancouver is only 3.5 hours away. hay Steve Manitoba get stinking hot in the summer and has a tun of humidity to go along with the heat. I spent 15 years there growing up. I do like the summers but they can keep the winters. When i went back there in 2003 the first winter got down to -50's without the windchill. I had to work outside in it, I worked for MTS. Scientists have sed that if you lived in Winnipeg you can live just about any where in the world. it gets hotter than a dessert and colder than Antarctic.

Doug
02-23-2011, 01:09 AM
we for me I wanted to go back to alberta, but the wife had family here. so it was a compromise, but I am realy happy with it, it is a big city with a small town attitude, it took a while for me to get used to everything being closed on the weekends except the big box stores, but there is a huge sence of comunity and lots of stuff going on. there is a farmers market during the spring to fall seasons down town every sat and wensday. very good city for sports and out door activitys. a friend of mine wants me to get a quad so he can start showing me fishing holes.. aparently there are over 200 lakes with in 1 hour of kamloops.

the summers are hot.. damn hot but I love it, the winters are mild with a normal low of -10 and high of 0 but we do get cold snaps down to -20 (lows)

as for where to buy I went with water.. I ended up deciding I didn't want to be on a well so I bought in dallas on the river side. one block from me there is a house for sale for 2.2 mill :mrgreen: accros the street therte is one for sale for 280. nice quiet area bigger lots (hard to find now) and a bunch of good niebours

Steve

Thanks Steve. I was looking at one in that area just the other day.

Steve is in a good area and he is right we have everything needed and with a trip to the coast once in a while you can have it all, Vancouver is only 3.5 hours away. hay Steve Manitoba get stinking hot in the summer and has a tun of humidity to go along with the heat. I spent 15 years there growing up. I do like the summers but they can keep the winters. When i went back there in 2003 the first winter got down to -50's without the windchill. I had to work outside in it, I worked for MTS. Scientists have sed that if you lived in Winnipeg you can live just about any where in the world. it gets hotter than a dessert and colder than Antarctic.

I,m ok with the cold Bill. I did spend 30yrs. in Thompson, so its actually somewhat mild in Brandon in comparison. :lol:

For sure the short drive to the coast is attractive to me, with my brother in Langley. A day trip to JL or Wendall,s also sounds pretty good. :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
02-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Thanks Steve. I was looking at one in that area just the other day.

which side of the hiway? you have to be carfull as the ones on the south side of the highway stuck up against the valley are pretty shady all the time, and the ones on the north side of the hiway but south of the river still are in the pounding sun all day (it is about 5 degrees hotter at my house than it is down town kamloops) if you go up the hills an out of the valley you can get a winter that is a month to 2 months longer, than the lower valley will have.

if you need me to you can PM me with some addresses you are interested in and I can take some strait up pics of the front and let you know what the area is like.

Steve

StirCrazy
02-23-2011, 05:55 AM
hey Steve ya i think that its .0587 per KW so its pretty close i didn't think yours was that cheap too. Wow pretty cheap liviing there in Kamloops I didnt know that it was that dry there really when I was up visiting Leah it was humid there.

is Leah in Kamloops? its never humid here except when its raining. the valley here is a micro climate.

heres a few weather facts on Kamloops

ranked #1 for hottest summer in canada
#1 for most days over 30 degrees
#13 for mildest winter
#11 for warmest year round
#2 for the driest city
#3 for the most dry days
#10 for lightest wind speed year round.

Steve

bvlester
02-23-2011, 05:59 AM
do you have a relater you are working with I know a few in the city there is a couple that I know that are really good people. Thompson now you are talking cold winter and long at that. You don't thaw out up there till June some years....:lol::lol::lol: By the way if you by right on the river it stays a bit cooler in the summer, you get a nice breeze moving down river a lot of the time.

Any way good luck in finding a house.

Bill

StirCrazy
02-23-2011, 02:28 PM
By the way if you by right on the river it stays a bit cooler in the summer, you get a nice breeze moving down river a lot of the time.

Bill

actually not necessarily true, it is hotter at my place than in town in the summer, but I have found if you are on the other river then you are right as they get the wind coming from the north funneling down the valley. by my place we have the sun shining on the valley all day because the valley runs east and west and trust me there is no cool breeze :mrgreen: but there usually is a little one about supper time which cools it off to about 32 degrees by 11pm. good for drinking beer on the patio :wink:

bvlester
02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I never said when there was a breeze but I remember a friend of mine many years ago lived along the river closer to town than you though and there seemed to be a breeze in the evenings. We didn't hang out at his house very often as we were young and not so bright and decided the bar was a better place to drink beer and spend all our money at..
We would have saved so much if we would have just drank at one of our places.

Bill

StirCrazy
02-23-2011, 05:00 PM
I never said when there was a breeze but I remember a friend of mine many years ago lived along the river closer to town than you though and there seemed to be a breeze in the evenings.

Bill

ya was probably closer to where the two rivers join

Steve

Doug
02-23-2011, 05:20 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/02/22/bc-hydro-proposed-rate-increases.html

Just stopped home for a sandwich and reading this.

StirCrazy
02-23-2011, 06:24 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/02/22/bc-hydro-proposed-rate-increases.html

Just stopped home for a sandwich and reading this.

heck the only time my electrical bills are that hi is during the summer when the AC is running. other wise mine are about 1/2 of there "average" as you get towards the coast there is a larger number of houses with electrical heat which cranks up the average. I pay 44 bucks per month for electricity on equal billing.

interesting article though as even a 30% increase over 3 years only means BC will still be one of the two cheepest provences in Canada which is the same as it is now. but that also reflects the price in 3 years if they increases are all aproved. right now we are the cheepest as we are 6.27 and manatoba is 6.30 but this is also assuming that no one else raiases there rates also which it looks like almost every provence is going to do.

do as you would any where else. make sure what ever you buy has natural gas heat and hot water and the electricity is minimized.

Steve

Doug
02-23-2011, 10:52 PM
do you have a relater you are working with I know a few in the city there is a couple that I know that are really good people. Thompson now you are talking cold winter and long at that. You don't thaw out up there till June some years....:lol::lol::lol: By the way if you by right on the river it stays a bit cooler in the summer, you get a nice breeze moving down river a lot of the time.

Any way good luck in finding a house.

Bill

No realtor yet Bill. Still in the looking stage. Yes, some late springs and early winters there but I enjoyed all of my time in Thompson.

which side of the hiway? you have to be carfull as the ones on the south side of the highway stuck up against the valley are pretty shady all the time, and the ones on the north side of the hiway but south of the river still are in the pounding sun all day (it is about 5 degrees hotter at my house than it is down town kamloops) if you go up the hills an out of the valley you can get a winter that is a month to 2 months longer, than the lower valley will have.

I will keep that in mind.

if you need me to you can PM me with some addresses you are interested in and I can take some strait up pics of the front and let you know what the area is like.
Steve

Thanks for the offer. May do when the time comes. We are still just looking, until the kids make the final decision. I think they are going out in a month to look for a place.

:lol: I was even looking at a place up in Blue River but thinks thats to much commute. :lol:

StirCrazy
02-24-2011, 06:38 PM
:lol: I was even looking at a place up in Blue River but thinks thats to much commute. :lol:

ya and that probably the worst strech of highway between here and alberta in the winter.. and there is nothing there LOL.

I have to go through there on sunday.. always icy there.

Steve

bvlester
02-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Blue river get a tun of snow cold and alot of mosketoes in the summer if you think Manitoba has alot wait till you see Blueriver. Clearwater is a bit better and you can still get a good deal on a house there. I looked a 3600sf house there they only wanted 170 for it mundyou that was when we came back here, but in Kamloops it would have went for 400 - 500k.

Bill

Doug
02-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Heh,heh. After 30 yrs. driving to and from Thompson, including multi trips ever winter out west for bowling, not much in the way of highway travel can surprise me. Yea, dont need those skitters anymore Bill.

Its a bit to far away anyways. At one time though somewhere like that would be my preference but not my wifes. :lol:

I,m off to look for Clearwater Bill.

Skimmerking
02-25-2011, 02:14 AM
hmmmmm moving aren't ya Dougy :redface: that is ok Tammy will sell your place here and she knows of Realtors in Kamloops too so you are taken care of.

mike31154
02-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Have you considered Vernon? Only an hour drive south of Kamloops. Three lakes to enjoy in the summer, great ski hill Silver Star. Not quite as crazy as Kelowna for Real Estate.

Doug
02-26-2011, 07:25 PM
hmmmmm moving aren't ya Dougy :redface: that is ok Tammy will sell your place here and she knows of Realtors in Kamloops too so you are taken care of.

Not a sure thing yet bud. :smile:

Have you considered Vernon? Only an hour drive south of Kamloops. Three lakes to enjoy in the summer, great ski hill Silver Star. Not quite as crazy as Kelowna for Real Estate.

Actually we have talked about it but not looked at real estate there. If not someplace in the middle may be nice.

mike31154
02-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Well yeah, if you don't mind living out in the boonies, there are probably some good deals to be had on larger properties out of town. There's not much between Vernon & Kamloops as far as communities though, very small towns, Westwold, Falkland. Salmon Arm or Sicamous a little farther east on Hwy 1 might also be worth looking at.

Doug
05-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Some questions from the missis.

----do you get a property tax rebate like we do in Manitoba, {$700 school tax rebate}?

----is that correct that you pay health care premiums?

mike31154
05-24-2011, 01:25 AM
Yes, if you live in your principal residence, there's a two stage property tax rebate. Basic Grant for just living there & Additional Grant if you're a senior 65+. I qualify for the Basic and it was just over $700 on my home this year.

Don't recall about the health care off the top of my head, but if there is, it's not much.

Doug
05-24-2011, 01:50 AM
Yes, if you live in your principal residence, there's a two stage property tax rebate. Basic Grant for just living there & Additional Grant if you're a senior 65+. I qualify for the Basic and it was just over $700 on my home this year.

Don't recall about the health care off the top of my head, but if there is, it's not much.

Thanks Mike. I will pass that on to her. Not 65 yet but getting closer. :lol:

StirCrazy
05-25-2011, 01:00 AM
yes we pay health care premiums. I think full rate would be 32/month, and it is scalled back depending on your income.

Steve

Doug
06-22-2011, 08:07 PM
yes we pay health care premiums. I think full rate would be 32/month, and it is scalled back depending on your income.

Steve

My bro said they pay $52 each in Langley. Seems like a bit much in comparison to what you guys are saying.

Cell phone question. My MTS plan is expired and was going with Rodgers on a new Iphone. Is Rodgers fine there? I would wait and perhaps use Telus in a bundle but a friends does not work when she comes here.

StirCrazy
06-23-2011, 03:40 AM
My bro said they pay $52 each in Langley. Seems like a bit much in comparison to what you guys are saying.

Cell phone question. My MTS plan is expired and was going with Rodgers on a new Iphone. Is Rodgers fine there? I would wait and perhaps use Telus in a bundle but a friends does not work when she comes here.

Hmm, I just looked it up, 57/month is the full rate. if you make under 30K/year there are discounts, we pay 32/month for the whole family but that is through the wifes work. I would pay about 24 bucks a month based on my pension. heres a chart showing the discounts
http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/premium.html#temporary

the problem is most good jobs got plans so we don't know what it realy costs, and normaly if you don't have a good job it is close to free :wink:

rodgers works, but telus as much as I hate to say has the best coverage in BC and AB. I am with telus myself but only till shaw starts with cell phones :mrgreen: I did have rodgers and was rather disapointed with the coverage in BC.

if you still thinking about the outlying area's forget about the cell.. lots of the small towns don't have coverage once your off the main hiway and even on it in some places. they are slowly getting all the holes filled but still a ways off.. for instance when I go to work I leave here and go to boston bar.. that whole area in the fraser canyon is very pourly serviced for cell. cell is comming there but there still in the planning phase so I can see it being a year or two at least then, and then you will need a phone that works witht he system as Telus isn't going back wards to older cell formats, so if the phone is to old it probably won't work, but you should be eligible for a free phone. I would just leave it till you move here. let your rodgers go month to month and when you get established go to telus get a free top of the line phone for being a new customer. then you don't have to pay again to change the number, ect...

Steve

bvlester
06-23-2011, 05:52 AM
Some questions from the missis.

----do you get a property tax rebate like we do in Manitoba, {$700 school tax rebate}?

----is that correct that you pay health care premiums?

correct me if I am wrong, Manitoba does have health care premiums too they are just hidden in your tax return I can not remember where. That way everyone that files a tax return pays, Alberta use to do this also a long time ago. I think it is a better way to do it but on the good side I seem to get back way more money out here than I did in Manitoba on my tax return.

Remember to keep every recite including when you come out and look for a place to buy as they are all deducible. I had so many recites I carried about half of the amount over to the second year I lived here. If you do the simple deduction you get back way less. It is KM times a set amount of cents per KM it never works out to be anywhere close to the same amount.

Bill

bvlester
06-23-2011, 05:59 AM
Just a note on the cell I would go with Telus or Bell as Bell piggybacks Telus and pay them for the service and the same in the east Telus piggybacks Bell and pays them. Telus does own a couple small companies. They own mike's and some one said they own Koodo also not sure about that. There is another one can't think of it right now.

Bill

Doug
06-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Hmm, I just looked it up, 57/month is the full rate. if you make under 30K/year there are discounts, we pay 32/month for the whole family but that is through the wifes work. I would pay about 24 bucks a month based on my pension. heres a chart showing the discounts
http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/premium.html#temporary

the problem is most good jobs got plans so we don't know what it realy costs, and normaly if you don't have a good job it is close to free :wink:

Thanks for the info and link Steve. Perhaps its included in my benefits from my company I,m retired from? Have to check that. I would be over the amount for sure.

rodgers works, but telus as much as I hate to say has the best coverage in BC and AB. I am with telus myself but only till shaw starts with cell phones :mrgreen: I did have rodgers and was rather disapointed with the coverage in BC.

if you still thinking about the outlying area's forget about the cell.. lots of the small towns don't have coverage once your off the main hiway and even on it in some places. they are slowly getting all the holes filled but still a ways off.. for instance when I go to work I leave here and go to boston bar.. that whole area in the fraser canyon is very pourly serviced for cell. cell is comming there but there still in the planning phase so I can see it being a year or two at least then, and then you will need a phone that works witht he system as Telus isn't going back wards to older cell formats, so if the phone is to old it probably won't work, but you should be eligible for a free phone. I would just leave it till you move here. let your rodgers go month to month and when you get established go to telus get a free top of the line phone for being a new customer. then you don't have to pay again to change the number, ect...

Steve

Interesting. The kids packaged their home phone, internet and tv with Telus but not cell,s yet. Telus must have a total inclusive package then, if thats the case. Perhaps I will check their website.
I can wait, the Iphone5 is coming soon anyways. :D

Doug
06-23-2011, 01:38 PM
correct me if I am wrong, Manitoba does have health care premiums too they are just hidden in your tax return I can not remember where. That way everyone that files a tax return pays, Alberta use to do this also a long time ago. I think it is a better way to do it but on the good side I seem to get back way more money out here than I did in Manitoba on my tax return.

Remember to keep every recite including when you come out and look for a place to buy as they are all deducible. I had so many recites I carried about half of the amount over to the second year I lived here. If you do the simple deduction you get back way less. It is KM times a set amount of cents per KM it never works out to be anywhere close to the same amount.

I,m going to check out Telus. Guess nobody likes Rodgers out there?

Thanks

Bill

It could be inclusive in our taxes Bill. Darned if I know. Everything here is hidden in someway. LOL. I would guess elsewhere also.

Those moving expense claims are only if your working after the move, are they not? That may be the case, depending on what we do. I did claim it here when I moved from Clear Lake into Brandon, {I was working}, but not from Thompson to Clear Lake as I was retiring.

StirCrazy
06-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Those moving expense claims are only if your working after the move, are they not? That may be the case, depending on what we do. I did claim it here when I moved from Clear Lake into Brandon, {I was working}, but not from Thompson to Clear Lake as I was retiring.

get a part time job long enought to claim stuff then quit :mrgreen:

Steve

bvlester
06-25-2011, 03:16 AM
It could be inclusive in our taxes Bill. Darned if I know. Everything here is hidden in someway. LOL. I would guess elsewhere also.

You do not have to be moving to a job as long as you find a job within 90 days I believe.

We moved here in Aug with no job to go to and I found one in Oct I was able to claim everything.

Bill

Doug
08-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Bill

Bill are you saying here that you pay less provincial income tax than Manitoba. At $120/month for the two of us we would need to then save close to $1400/year on income tax to break even.

Doug
08-04-2011, 09:01 PM
We also have an auto insurance discussion going. You still do have government auto insurance. Is it full insurance or do you need to supplement it with private?

StirCrazy
08-05-2011, 01:22 AM
We also have an auto insurance discussion going. You still do have government auto insurance. Is it full insurance or do you need to supplement it with private?

either or. you can go ICBC for everything but collision through ICBC is generaly more expensive than privat if you have a good driving record.

I don't know what insurance is like in manatoba, but I pay about 600 for basic, and comprehensive on my diesel truck. only thing I don't have is collision but my trucks paid off.

for the BC medical I would call the BC goverment that deals with that, if your retired I can't see them charging you that.. I don't know anyone personaly that pays over 36 bucks per month, but I don't know many millionairs either :mrgreen:

ok I just did some looking and full rate is 60 bucks per month, family of 2 is 109/month and 3 or more is 120/month. that is based on a parson making over 30,000/year, i don't know if they could pensions as income for this purpose, so you would have to make some inquires.

Steve

bvlester
08-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Bill are you saying here that you pay less provincial income tax than Manitoba. At $120/month for the two of us we would need to then save close to $1400/year on income tax to break even.

sorry it's been a while since I have been on here. What I am saying is you do pay health care in Manitoba it gets claimed on the income tax return out there. Here we pay for it but it is graduated. I believe if you are under 29,000 family income its free and about there is a fee depending on you income. You may have to pay 120 per month it all depends on your income.

bvlester
08-05-2011, 07:00 AM
either or. you can go ICBC for everything but collision through ICBC is generaly more expensive than privat if you have a good driving record.

I don't know what insurance is like in manatoba, but I pay about 600 for basic, and comprehensive on my diesel truck. only thing I don't have is collision but my trucks paid off.

for the BC medical I would call the BC goverment that deals with that, if your retired I can't see them charging you that.. I don't know anyone personaly that pays over 36 bucks per month, but I don't know many millionairs either :mrgreen:

ok I just did some looking and full rate is 60 bucks per month, family of 2 is 109/month and 3 or more is 120/month. that is based on a parson making over 30,000/year, i don't know if they could pensions as income for this purpose, so you would have to make some inquires.

Steve

Hay guy I do know pensions are included in the calculations, my parents are older in their 70' + Dad just passed in January I believe she went done to the 36 dolor rate.

Steve there are a lot of wealthy people nit that far from your place to bad they all live on the river.
Bill

StirCrazy
08-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Hay guy I do know pensions are included in the calculations, my parents are older in their 70' + Dad just passed in January I believe she went done to the 36 dolor rate.

Steve there are a lot of wealthy people nit that far from your place to bad they all live on the river.
Bill

I know lots of people with money, problem is they work and have company health care.. are all pensions included? that would suck, as I am ok with my military pension I am still included in the pensionairs health car plan which is reduced rate but for people with normal pensions that don't have a health care link and then ccp on top of that could easialy brake the 30000.00 max for dicounts. so at 29,999.00 you pay about 36 bucks/month at 30,000.00 you pay 66 bucks. I think its liknda stupid my self one of the only two or three provences that even charges for health care.

Steve

Doug
08-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Yep agreed Steve on the provinces that charge. Just plain stupid. Should be reflected in provincial income tax. I dont see how anyone can call over $30000 in the millionaire club. :lol:

So if we dont have two tier health care, how the hell come some pay more than others. :lol:
Wonder if its individual or family income. Thats a large difference for some. To many damm variables. Guess we will just find out when we arrive.

So many little things, another thousand or so a year here and a few hundred more here, and few hundred more here. It adds up if ones not careful and when on a limited budget, it requires some scrutiny. Or just work like I do here, but the option or not to if wished, would be nice.

I do appreciate the help with the info. Guess lunch is on me when I get there. :D

Skimmerking
08-06-2011, 01:06 AM
ya ya yayya your not moving away from me Doug you are here stuck in MB just like me.

Doug
08-06-2011, 01:22 AM
ya ya yayya your not moving away from me Doug you are here stuck in MB just like me.

:lol: Sorry. My granddaughters hug better.

StirCrazy
08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
:lol: Sorry. My granddaughters hug better.

whens the big date or have you found a place yet?

theres a house where I am for about 260K, but it has been on the market for a while and the older couple moved to a condo due to helth reasons so it might be able to be gotten a fair bit cheeper.

Steve

Doug
08-14-2011, 01:30 PM
whens the big date or have you found a place yet?

theres a house where I am for about 260K, but it has been on the market for a while and the older couple moved to a condo due to helth reasons so it might be able to be gotten a fair bit cheeper.

Steve

No actual date yet Steve. Still have commitments here to take care of first. We hoped to be on the way before winter but does not look like its going to happen.

StirCrazy
08-14-2011, 02:08 PM
No actual date yet Steve. Still have commitments here to take care of first. We hoped to be on the way before winter but does not look like its going to happen.

to bad, would probably be nice to not have to spend another winter in manatoba :wink:

Steve

Doug
02-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Nice. I see the hospital in Kamloops is stacking them in the hallways. No doctors available besides that. And you have the audacity to charge me $110/yr. for medicare and then tell me to pay my own yearly physical.

Where the heck am I moving to?

Skimmerking
02-10-2012, 12:34 AM
you wanted to go I told you

mike31154
02-10-2012, 01:07 AM
BC man, Bring Cash. They were stacking the patients in the hallways in Vernon as well. Code purples almost a daily routine. Built a brand new tower, finished last summer/fall. All good but Interior Health has decided to leave the top two floors empty due to lack of funds, or they're spending the funds elsewhere. Too many old guys like you & me taxing the health care system.

Doug
02-10-2012, 01:54 AM
BC man, Bring Cash. They were stacking the patients in the hallways in Vernon as well. Code purples almost a daily routine. Built a brand new tower, finished last summer/fall. All good but Interior Health has decided to leave the top two floors empty due to lack of funds, or they're spending the funds elsewhere. Too many old guys like you & me taxing the health care system.

I believe closed beds is the problem there also. Down from 400 + to just over 200 or so. Bring cash is ok but getting out of hand.

Doug
02-10-2012, 02:05 AM
And I agree on my generation taxing the system but I busted my arse for 40yrs. paying for that right when I get older and now have to wait in line behind many that never contributed diddly squat. Sure is equal treatment. Anyways thats getting political and I will get spanked so enough of that.

I,m going regardless. Our granddaughters have made all kinds of plans already. And thats whats important. :D

mike31154
02-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Wasn't too difficult for me to make the decision to live here, politics will be politics, in the end it's the same country. I think Ms Clark & her Liberals will be given their walking papers next provincial election. Whether things will change significantly is doubtful. It's the bureaucrats, lobbyists & large corporations that really run the show.

You've got it boiled down to the important stuff for sure, family.

StirCrazy
02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Nice. I see the hospital in Kamloops is stacking them in the hallways. No doctors available besides that. And you have the audacity to charge me $110/yr. for medicare and then tell me to pay my own yearly physical.

Where the heck am I moving to?

where did you hear this, I have been working 12 hour days for 5 days now (2 more to go) and I haven't heard anything about this on the news and or in the paper... never heard of them using the halls here either.. thats all been lower mainland.

Steve

Doug
02-10-2012, 01:50 PM
http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20120209/KAMLOOPS0101/120209796/-1/kamloops01/rih-overcrowding-worst-administrator-has-seen

and today

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20120209/KAMLOOPS0101/120209759/-1/kamloops01/union-calls-for-rih-ninth-floor-to-be-converted-for-patients

mike31154
02-10-2012, 03:15 PM
... never heard of them using the halls here either.. thats all been lower mainland.

Steve

http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/139049424.html

christyf5
02-10-2012, 03:48 PM
When are you making the big move Doug? :biggrin:

Doug
02-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Sometime on or before June 1st depending on when our place sells. Or if it does not sell by then, we have a problem. :lol:

StirCrazy
02-11-2012, 12:42 AM
hmm ok, I must have missed it in the paper, but thats todays paper so I havent read it yet either LOL.

ya real un normal, I have been there 6 times with the kids or myself in the last two years, once the daughter was checked right into a bed, the others I waited an hour at most for treatment, so this isn't normal if you were concerned about that.

Steve