PDA

View Full Version : Running Carbon and Heating Question

Eb0la11
02-13-2011, 12:45 AM
What are you guys using to run carbon in your tanks? Right now Im just using a HOB filter but the waterfall noise it makes annoys me and I want to change. What do you guys suggest? It has to be quiet.

Also, how much Wattage is suggested per gallon of water to heat? I have a 200 gallon or so aquarium and I feel like its somewhat under heated but not really sure. Any rule of thumb for that?

toytech
02-13-2011, 12:51 AM
For my 50 gal and my 15 gal i have canister filters that i run carbon and phos guard in mesh bags . The canisters are almost otherwise empty and just help with flow .

globaldesigns
02-13-2011, 12:52 AM
I run Kent Reef carbon in 2 bags. Each bag has .5 litre and I put one in each bubble trap area, running passively with the current in my sump.

for temp, I use a 300W heater, but use a digital thermometer... Keeping my tank stable at 78.

Eb0la11
02-13-2011, 12:54 AM
I run Kent Reef carbon in 2 bags. Each bag has .5 litre and I put one in each bubble trap area, running passively with the current in my sump.

for temp, I use a 300W heater, but use a digital thermometer... Keeping my tank stable at 78.

How big is your tank global? I forget...

I have a 300W as well, but is that enough for 200gallons of water? I mean my lights add heat too of course...

globaldesigns
02-13-2011, 12:59 AM
How big is your tank global? I forget...

I have a 300W as well, but is that enough for 200gallons of water? I mean my lights add heat too of course...

My Display is 180G, sump is 105G. My temp doesn't fluctuate much with only one 300W heater. so I think you would be ok. The only way for you to know is to monitor your temp.

Eb0la11
02-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Maybe my heater is just not calibrated or something. Its brand new like about 2 months ago I bought it but my temp still seems like it wont climb much more than 77 even when I tell the thermo to raise the temp more.

amoreira
02-13-2011, 03:06 AM
Best way to control temperature is with a digital controller that uses a temperature measurement with heaters and coolers. That being said, I hear temperature control is not so critical. In the wild water temperature can fluctuate considerably with cold/warm currents that come in and out, as well as with rising/falling tides. I think that +/- 1 C fluctuation wouldn't cause any problems.

As for carbon, I run Rox 0.8 in phosban reactor. That stuff is the best. I buy a 5 gallon pale of it for about $260 and that lasts me a year. It keeps the water sparkling free from any yellowing organics and absorbs any pollution that would come from a household environment.

pyke
02-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Best way to control temperature is with a digital controller that uses a temperature measurement with heaters and coolers. That being said, I hear temperature control is not so critical. In the wild water temperature can fluctuate considerably with cold/warm currents that come in and out, as well as with rising/falling tides. I think that +/- 1 C fluctuation wouldn't cause any problems.

As for carbon, I run Rox 0.8 in phosban reactor. That stuff is the best. I buy a 5 gallon pale of it for about $260 and that lasts me a year. It keeps the water sparkling free from any yellowing organics and absorbs any pollution that would come from a household environment.

where are you buying your Rox 0.8 I can only find it at BRS but shipping a 5G pail must cost more then the carbon?

amoreira
02-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I buy the Rox 0.8 from BRS and shipping is around $30.00. It ends up being cheaper than buying from the local fish shop by a long shot.

e46er
02-13-2011, 08:10 PM
i run carbon thru a two little fish reactor seems to work well
Kent marine reef carbon and about $30 a year for 120G
oh for heat i have a 150W heater but it rarely runs the MHs keep the tank warm enough