PDA

View Full Version : Nanaimo

Hotpants
11-19-2010, 04:17 PM
HI,

I am going to be setting up my saltwater tank soon. I was going to get the RO water from my grocery store, but I learned that stores will sometimes supplement minerals back in it. I'm not entirely sure they do this, all I know is that its gone through a RO filter and says its purified. Is this fine to use? Anyone have suggestions on where to find good water? Does anyone know any good stores in the Nanaimo-Parksville area?

Cubeman
11-19-2010, 07:45 PM
I've used the water from Save-On foods exclusively for over a year with no problems encountered with water parameters. I'm in Campbell River but I don't imagine the filtration system is any different in the Nanaimo store.

Sean
11-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Iv been using safeway water from culligan and its been going good. It does get expensive and becomes more of a hassel when you want to clean the tank. :)

PoonTang
11-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Save yourself alot of hassle and expense and get yourself a rodi unit. You are going to be going through ALOT of water in the future.

christyf5
11-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I took my TDS meter to a few stores and couldn't believe the TDS was higher or the same as what was coming out of the tap. There is a water store in the north end near the Brick that may be a bit better but I don't think they change the cartridges often enough at the local grocery stores for the amount of water they go through. Its fine for drinking but IMO, not good enough for SW fish tanks.

There are a lot of used RODI units for sale right now, you'd just have to replace a few filters and you'd be good to go. I spent a lot of time fighting various algaes suffering along with water from the grocery store before breaking down and buying my own RODI unit. I really wish I'd done it sooner as my tank totally turned around and has paid for itself over and over in my less frustration and increased appreciation of my tank :biggrin:

Cubeman
11-19-2010, 11:35 PM
I posted above about getting my water from Save-On for the last year and voila today my wife surprises me with a 4 stage ro/di from BWI, contacted right through this site! And I thought she never paid attention when I prattled incessantly about my tank.

Chaloupa
11-20-2010, 12:50 AM
I posted above about getting my water from Save-On for the last year and voila today my wife surprises me with a 4 stage ro/di from BWI, contacted right through this site! And I thought she never paid attention when I prattled incessantly about my tank.

WOOT!!! One of my best investments!