PDA

View Full Version : clam death

hound96
11-16-2010, 05:21 AM
why do they melt down for no reason parameters are perfect this is the 3rd one out of 8 in 2 years WTF

Ian
11-16-2010, 02:08 PM
have a look for pyramid snails arround the base of your clams ..these will wipe them out fast and are hard to see until it is to late.

hound96
11-16-2010, 02:49 PM
been down that road already i have a canary wrasse to eat them plus i inspect them weekly and if i see anything strange , the one last night seemed to be getting eaten by a bristle worm but i thought they only went after rotting flesh

Myka
11-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Unless it wasn't actually a bristleworm...? Lots of worms that look similar, but aren't. Google "worm eating clam", and lots of stuff pops up.

BlueTang<3
11-16-2010, 10:16 PM
I head read some threads on other sites before saying that bristle worms on a clams foot will actually stress them out enough to parish. Its a good idea to keep them on a base.

hound96
11-16-2010, 10:41 PM
i have 3 on the sand and 2 on a rock but i am buying a mcoskers wrasse next week

ScubaGirl
11-26-2010, 07:02 PM
My squamosa clam has died. :cry:

The pyramid snails got to it and killed it. It was fine a couple of days ago with great reaction time so I am just stunned today to find the mantle all retracted and no reaction from the clam when it's touched. Upon turning it over, it was infested with tiny white pyramid snails. I had no clue, being a rookie at this (less than a year). I tried to scoop as much of the immediate substrate out as well. I just love clams and would love to have more in my tank but what should I do to get rid of/control these snails? I read that certain wrasses eat them? Your thoughts/experience with this? How often should I be inspecting the bottom of the clam in the future? I thought it was good to leave it alone to do it's thing and attach itself (in error!). How long do I need to wait before getting another one? What is the life span on these snails? What else do they host on?

I've been concerned about the loss of a couple of turbo snails lately. I've been blaming it on the blue hermits in the tank that have grown rather large. Would these snails go after them as well?

I love my tank and so far I've been pretty fortunate with some wonderful advice from the two LFS. This loss is hitting pretty hard though. I'm in there feeding corals, I could have easily looked at the clam while I was in there. :cry:

ScubaGirl
11-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Also, how close do I need to watch water parameters after this? Should I be concerned? 2 weeks ago, all was well.

gobytron
11-26-2010, 08:21 PM
pyramidellid snails.:wink:

ScubaGirl
11-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Thank you for correcting me.

hound96
11-27-2010, 12:11 AM
a canary wrasse or yellow coris wrasse will eat pyramid snails i haven't seen one in my tank since i put my canary wrasse in

ScubaGirl
11-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Thank you. I will research them as well. My LFS recommended a leopard wrasse over the 6 line because we have a couple of shrimp. Any thoughts on that? I want to make a decision and let them know tomorrow so I can get in on their next order.

Been picking these damn snails off my rock/substrate periodically all afternoon. Sadly, there are a few. There were 30+ on the clam alone.

I'll know for next time. I'm not giving up on clams. I like them way too much.

The Grizz
11-27-2010, 01:47 AM
having similar issues but can't seen to find and snails but have had one clam done in by bristle's. I know they where bristles because one stuck me when I was moving the clam to inspect.

hound96
11-27-2010, 03:16 AM
thats why i'm buying the flasher wrasse for the bristle worms also arrow crabs and dottybacks work good, the arrow crab will eat the bigger ones, my problem is the other half thinks they look too much like spiders and won't let me get one.

as for the wrasses the leopard would be the better of the two to get IMO they definitely look nicer as well.

The Grizz
11-27-2010, 04:09 AM
Ok then Leopard Wrasse it is if I can find one. Anyone in Edmonton or Calgary if you see some please let me know.:biggrin:

hound96
11-27-2010, 04:32 AM
like i said the flasher wrasse for bristle worms , the leopard wrasse coment was for the question for which one i think is better to have out of the leopard or the 6 line but for clam protection i have a canary and a flasher.

The Grizz
11-27-2010, 04:42 AM
OOOHHHH my bad :biggrin: I really want to protect my clams and future clams. I have a small 6 line and a pink face wrasse but I thought I saw the pink face pick at one of my clams.

ScubaGirl
11-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Too late! Canary is on order. Should be here soon.

Here's a pic of the culprits:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6170093&l=ac372d882e&id=693751760

hound96
11-30-2010, 02:46 PM
well another one bites the dust, o lost the squamosa today :cry:
2 days in a row i've been pulling bristle worms off him so now i'm not messing around i got an arrow crab coming home tonight cuz the big squami is coming today and i aint messin around:twised: