PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with your current saltwater setup?

kien
10-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Just curious to see what the current satisfaction level is with everyone's tanks :)

There are things that I would like to change and things I'm always working on, but overall I'm fairly happy with what I've got going on.

lockrookie
10-20-2010, 07:54 PM
i posted yes but with a bit of reluctance. i love my tank as well as the tank in training. but my main display needs an overhaul it was a fresh water setup turned salt and now there is soooooo much i hope to change. but i still love it the same.

reefwars
10-20-2010, 07:59 PM
I voted yes as now that I'm down to one little tank with little maintance it's actually fun to just watch lol ask me again in a month or two lol:)

Parker
10-20-2010, 08:02 PM
I posted no, I like the way the tank is set-up but I'm unhappy with how the tank it self looks. It needs much improvment before I'llbe happy with it.

ElGuappo
10-20-2010, 08:20 PM
i posted yes but need about 20lbs of rock to finish my scape..

MitchM
10-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Nope. I'm taking down 2 tanks and setting up 1 larger one.

Mitch

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Voted no, even though the tanks are doing well. Mainly I'm looking to reduce the amount of rock and corals in my 210g to increase swimming space for the fish. Also planning to eventually upgrade my current 165g in a couple of years to a 280g 6' x 30" x 30" or if I take out my front window, maybe even bigger.

Anthony

Myka
10-20-2010, 10:11 PM
I voted "Meh". I have lots of changes I need (want lol) to do. I have a bunch of lighting equipment I need to build into a canopy so I can finally ditch my ghetto light set up. I want to build a new stand with a dry area separated from the sump area for electrical, and a place to hide my top up bucket. I want to get an electrician in to install dedicated breakers.

Hmmm...what else? :lol:

The corals an inhabitants are doing pretty well. I gotta quit messing with it though so the colors can really come out again.

Milad
10-20-2010, 10:14 PM
No i want a bubble king and a fish room

shrimpchips
10-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Nope. That's why I'm putting up a new one this week! :D

Funky_Fish14
10-20-2010, 10:46 PM
I voted meh... my system is happy and healthy, like the critters inside, but I just wish I had more time to tinker with it and get it totally finished.

michika
10-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Nope, because my new tank isn't up an running yet.

Lance
10-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Yes, No, Maybe?
I don't think I'll ever be totally satisfied with my tanks. Even when they're doing well I want brighter colours; better PE; I like my aquascaping; I don't like my aquascaping; I shouldn't have bought that piece of equipment I should have went with the other one. etc etc Always fretting about something: Just like an old woman! :biggrin:

Delphinus
10-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Yes, No, Maybe?
I don't think I'll ever be totally satisfied with my tanks. Even when they're doing well I want brighter colours; better PE; I like my aquascaping; I don't like my aquascaping; I shouldn't have bought that piece of equipment I should have went with the other one. etc etc Always fretting about something: Just like an old woman! :biggrin:

+1

I always want better so I don't mess with things enough, and yet I find, I can never make it better anyhow, only worse. Hmmm, I'll move this rock over there? Hmm, no, that's worse, I'll put it back the way it was. No wait now it doesn't fit right even where it came from and it's now worse. Put it back to the original change spot. Hmmm no that's worse again still. Everything I do makes it worse. So from that perspective even though I don't mess with things anywhere near often enough, I also do it far too danged often! :p

Zoaelite
10-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Time for a change SPS is going, complete LPS is coming.

I'm happy with it all, but I could always be happier :lol:.

cale262
10-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Meh... I hope I'm never happy with them,...Once I'm happy with the progress or feel anything is completely finished and there is nothing left to improve upon I quickly loose all interest...

mark
10-21-2010, 12:45 AM
did the meh but a leaning toward yes.

Frustrations with stock aside (but am so happy that the bryopsis seems to be disappearing on it's own) if to do over probably would have configured the drains, CL intake and returns a little different, plus smaller overflow chambers. Would be an improvement but nowhere enough (or required) to justify pulling all apart and starting over.

Been thinking about a mod for a Herbie for years and is fairly simple but again it's wouldn't be a lot of gain. Other fairly simple thing would be to add another MH light to the existing 2 - 250W but was getting good SPS growth before the crash so why? There's also replacing the Ca reactor with a dosing system but it's like the other things really more just to play.

hound96
10-21-2010, 01:29 AM
i wish it was bigger

whatcaneyedo
10-21-2010, 01:43 AM
i wish it was bigger

I wish it was bigger too... oh wait are we taking about fish tanks or...? Never mind. :sad:

I voted meh. There are several things I want to do differently when I can afford my next tank upgrade. Coast to coast overflow, in-wall, and closed loop.

Skimmerking
10-21-2010, 01:54 AM
No i want a bubble king and a fish room
you ass dont tell me that about a bubble king Now lol

I look at it this way we are never happy in this hobby there is always something that we can do to fix, make, break, change, buy, sell until then we are stuck in our own little bubble.:mrgreen:

The Grizz
10-21-2010, 02:07 AM
My vote was NO only because I need to re-do the rock, add in my loc-line to the closed loop, figure out why my Duncans are dying, frag some of my zoas off some of my rock and put on plugs, find a really SMALL Blonde Naso and Powder Blue...................and so on :biggrin:

Mrfish55
10-21-2010, 02:46 AM
Is anybody ever truly happy with what they have? When I set up the 300 it was supposed to be my best and last and set-up so no upgrades would be required, now two years later I have a 90 gal corner, a 750 FOWLR and I am doing a complete overhaul on the 300, (lets not forget the pair of 80gal bowfronts sitting in the carport) can you believe my wife also gave me the green light to go bigger! I think I need a newer bigger house and a much higher paying Job.

christyf5
10-21-2010, 05:23 AM
I'm basically happy with my tank and the contents. I could do without the majanos but I'm powering my way through them. Two things I would change 1. the tank itself, wicked scratches which are teh suxor 2. I'd love a quieter overflow and if I did it again I'd get one of those herbie setups.

PoonTang
10-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Meh. My fish are good. My corals are good but I am still suffering from lame ass PE on my acros. Milles should look like Milles, not staghorns. My equiptment for the most part is good but there are a few upgrades I would like. Already dreaming of a big upgrade someday.

Duffer2
10-21-2010, 07:24 AM
NO!!!

Bryopsis, aptasia, and manjos waging gorilla warfare. Saw a bit of each about 3 weeks back and said, I should really do something about it. I went away last week for work, came back and the tank is overrun by all three.

NO!!!!!

paddyob
10-21-2010, 06:10 PM
I just set up my third marine tank... which is my first sump sysytem.

I literally just added my coral this week... so I can say yes to my equipment but the display itself needs some "work" to get it right.

Arok3000
10-21-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm happy with my tank, the way it's setup, and the scape.

I'm unhappy that I'm not home enough to appreciate it, and I am torn on a new lighting scheme that I've been putting off for far too long.

Meh.

lastlight
10-21-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm really happy with things as they are but I have started cleaning my basement out so I can play with my masking tape down there while things mature and grow out upstairs.

blacknife
10-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Unhappy with:
loud gurgling single side drilled hole overflow.
my DIY sump that does not fit in the stand so sits behind it making it really hard to tweak anything that needs tweaking.
constantly blackening sand.
Dottyback that i like that is keeping me from really getting any more fish even though i could fit a few more in the tank.
would really prefer a bigger tank that would let me get more fish.

happy with:
things in general seem to be in better shape. the war on algee is not won but things look better most of the time.
being home from work every day lets me ensure things are good every day instead of 10days wife ignored/4 days to much fussing around.

Add on or replacement is in the works but it still will not be big as i want.

Sunee
10-21-2010, 09:59 PM
No, cause I just ordered a new aquarium last week to upgrade my biocube. Can't wait for it to get here!!!!

DiverDude
10-21-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm a solid 'NO'.

I got this 30 gal as a test. I rationalized that if I could keep a small amount of livestock alive, healthy and happy then I'd get a bigger tank.

Well, the tank I bought came with a Hair Algae problem and while I seemed to have it licked for a little while but it came back and I have tried everything to get rid of it -no luck.

I'm stuck now. I've decided the rock is to blame (sure, blame inanimate objects for your failures...) so now I'm torn as to if I should shut down, replace the rock and keep the tank, or go to the bigger tank and put 1/2 new rock and this rock -but only after I've boiled it.

I'm in for over $2k on this ****y little 30 gal so I'm thinking long and hard about upsizing when I couldn't even manage this little tank. IF the rock really is to blame then I'd be ok, if not, I'm just enlarging the size of my problem.

:neutral:

Fish Head
10-22-2010, 12:21 AM
meh. mainly because this tank was setup in haste. When we finally moved in (3months) late , it was cold out and my pail of live rock and the few inhabitants i had left over from the 135 crashing were not happy. bought this one from a fellow reefer. Looking to get a new one this winter once i build a garage to build the stand, canopy etc etc.

saltynuts
10-22-2010, 01:56 AM
i,d like to find a cube tank(again)

Wayne
10-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Meh. I still wanna add stuff, its ok... But it could be better (read: BIGGER)

Aquattro
10-22-2010, 04:19 AM
If I wasn't worried about water damage, I'd put a hammer through mine. So that's a NO vote.

But, I'm gonna try again with my new 180, plus I bought a 29g biocube for the baby's room. One of these HAS to do better than my current tank....

Douglas
10-22-2010, 09:48 PM
I voted yes, but if I could change a few things, or would have researched a few more designs before and during my build, I would be happier with it.

Cliff
10-23-2010, 02:49 AM
I'm in the process of setting up my first salt water tank and I can't make up my mind how to arrange my dry rock before I even add my live rock to start cycling it. Already change it 4 times and I'm still not 100% on it

Dez
10-23-2010, 04:32 AM
Super happy with everything. The only real regret i have is not starting out with a brand new tank, so i live with the scratches of the previous owner, so I'm with Christy on this one. Other than that, my corals are growing too fast. I'll probably end up getting rid of all corals in a year and then starting over from frags again.

BWI
10-26-2010, 07:45 PM
i have a hair algae problem right now sooo Meh. its clearing up though sooo

DisneyCoralReef
10-28-2010, 05:13 PM
The last option for not having a set up, made me giggle. I have the equipment, but won't be starting up the tank until we move :lol: it's interesting to see how many people are unhappy with their set up. Its interesting to hear what makes everyone unhappy. It seems you can never be happy enough with it!

DisneyCoralReef
10-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Meh... I hope I'm never happy with them,...Once I'm happy with the progress or feel anything is completely finished and there is nothing left to improve upon I quickly loose all interest...

Aren't you right. It's the way I've always been with everything. As soon as I feel I've finished what I wanted to finish with something, then I lose interest. I agree that I also hope I can always find a new challenge to take on, to always have something to work on and improve. Well said.

(sorry for the double post :redface:)

viperfish
10-28-2010, 05:50 PM
My tank really brings out the OCD in me. I get it to where I am happy then I stare at it for a few days and if there is one thing out of place (which there usually is) it drives me out of my mind until I change it. I've tried moving a couple of rocks and ended up re-aquascaping the whole tank! I know it's the single reason for half of my failures in this hobby but it sooooo hard to resist!

Bblinks
11-18-2010, 07:53 PM
DO I LIKE MY TANK, YES. IS THERE ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT, ALWAYS. I REALLY ENJOY MESSING AROUND WITH MY TANK AND SETUP, ASIDE FROM WATHCING THE SEED OF YOUR HARD WORK COME TO FRUIT, I LOVE TO TINKER WITH EVERYTHING. ALWAYS LEARNING:idea: AND TESTING TO ACHIVE A BETTER OR THE BEST SETUP.