PDA

View Full Version : How did you get rid of majanos?

christyf5
10-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I've tried a few different things without success. They're everywhere and I'm getting frustrated.

karmafarmer
10-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Joe's Juice worked for me

ScubaSteve
10-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm assuming that you are plagued with them but what has always worked for me is is to take the corner of the razor blade I clean my glass with and stick it under the foot of the nem and carefully peel him off. I've got it down to about a minute per nem. Worked for me but I was never at plague proportions. I think I had about 50 (in a 40g) and it took me a little over an hour one night. Done. I left four of them on an isolated rock cuz the ones I have a super flourescent and people like them. They haven't gone anywhere since and none came back on the other rocks.

ponokareefer
10-08-2010, 07:21 PM
I put a smaller rock overtop of the majano, and the next day it was sitting on top of the small rock. Just make sure you don't crush the majano or else it won't be able to move. I then took the small rock out of the tank to the sink and scraped it off the rock with a knife. I cleared out a lot of majano's that I previously had this way.

Chowder
10-08-2010, 07:29 PM
I sell them to unsuspecting people as Bubble Tip Anemones.

Borderjumper
10-08-2010, 07:45 PM
I sell them to unsuspecting people as Bubble Tip Anemones.

Muhahahah:mrgreen:

MitchM
10-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi Christy,

I stumbled across this electronic zapper gizmo the other day.

http://glassbox-design.com/2010/killing-aptasia-with-electricity/

I haven't looked up yet where to buy it though.

Mitch

PoonTang
10-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Christy, are they on all of your rocks, or just a select few? One possibility, and I know you wont like it, is to remove each rock 1 by one and kill it off or scrub the living bejesus out of it then put it back. You could do like 1 per week or something and it shouldnt upset your tank too much. Yes you will have to unmount some frags but I'll take any of the broken bits :twised: How is the skimmer now, settled down?

Wingin It
10-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Joe's Juice worked for me, but I only ever had 2

Lampshade
10-08-2010, 09:14 PM
I bought some rock recently that i should have quarentined before adding to my tank. The guy had majono's, and there was a couple on the rocks, figured i'd blast them and that'd be that. I had a bunch at one point, i've been injecting them with lime juice(i don't have lemon in the fidge). Most of them die quickly, and havn't returned, a few stubborn ones though, they'll take the hint soon. Seems to be working very well for me, I add about 2cc's of lime juice to my tank at a time, takes out about 4-5 majono's. they curl up imediatly and some melt away, others return. I've heard they're easy to manually remove after they've been injected, i'm going to try that with the last 3-4 i have in my tank that have lived through 2 dosings.

Delphinus
10-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Butterflies did the trick for me eventually. The real trick is getting them to stop destroying all the good stuff.

I like the zapper idea. Have to try that!!

christyf5
10-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Hi Christy,

I stumbled across this electronic zapper gizmo the other day.

http://glassbox-design.com/2010/killing-aptasia-with-electricity/

I haven't looked up yet where to buy it though.

Mitch

Yeah I did see a DIY site for that but I suck and well when electricity is involved.....see my signature :razz:

christyf5
10-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Christy, are they on all of your rocks, or just a select few? One possibility, and I know you wont like it, is to remove each rock 1 by one and kill it off or scrub the living bejesus out of it then put it back. You could do like 1 per week or something and it shouldnt upset your tank too much. Yes you will have to unmount some frags but I'll take any of the broken bits :twised: How is the skimmer now, settled down?

They're on some/most rocks. Clusters on some rocks and a single one on others. Most of the rocks can't be removed though :neutral:

Lance
10-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Bloody Majanos! I hate them guys! I've been using kalk paste and lemon juice on them. It does slow them down but in a big tank you can't possibly get them all and soon they're back in force. I'm considering a Butterfly though I'm already maxed out for fish in this tank. :noidea:

christyf5
10-08-2010, 10:04 PM
LOL, thanks for the 3 "you are so screwed" votes guys :razz:

I'm not sure if I'd call it a plague. Some rocks have almost a dozen on them, other rocks have one but it seems like every rock has one and some of them are fairly large. I just hate pests in my tank and it really makes it hard for me to appreciate the tank when all I really see is the majanos every time I look at it :neutral:

I have tried Joes Juice but I can't remember if I had majanos at the time. The aiptasia destroyer just makes them curl up and then later on they come back with a friend. Haven't had success with lemon juice either and I have no idea where my kalk went to.

marie
10-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Hehehe, I got rid of mine by giving all the liverock to Lance :twised:

Lance
10-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Hehehe, I got rid of mine by giving all the liverock to Lance :twised:

Hey, that's a pretty good idea, flog them off on someone else! I'll have to try that.

By the way, who is this Lance idiot?

marie
10-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Hey, that's a pretty good idea, flog them off on someone else! I'll have to try that.

By the way, who is this Lance idiot?

Just for the record, I did tell you they were there :mrgreen:

Lance
10-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Just for the record, I did tell you they were there :mrgreen:

Oh I know Marie. :lol:
I actually was positive I had gotten them all. I had the rock in a container for two weeks and scrubbed them continually. They are tough little beggars!

aquajeep
10-09-2010, 02:00 AM
joes juice worked well,also boiling water but u have to turn off pumps for a bit.

Millepora_Maniac
10-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi Christy,

I wish there was a salection somewhere in between "you are so screwesd" and "Boilded/got rid of rock"

I am so screwed, and I'm getting rid of my rock. Problem is that I'm not allowed to post up my frags for sale anymore, I guess I have too many, and the moderators pulled the post:sad:.
This really screws you up, cause if you have as much SPS as I do, and this many Majano's the only thing to do is frag the corals down to nothing and then soak the rock in fresh water, or boil them:cry:.
I made it through five rocks or so out of twenty or more, and then my posts started getting pulled, so I hope that the moderators are a little nicer to you if you end up having to go down the same road that I did.

I wish you luck, and hope that you can get rid of those buggers.
Happy Reefing - MM

christyf5
10-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I don't think my "infestation" is nearly as bad as yours if you're having to pull all your rock. I'm somewhere in between "gee there are a lot of majanos in there" and "its going to get really ugly in about 3 months or so". I'm too lazy to pull my rock out and really do anything about it but I will go at it with either some sort of biological means or chemical (I've been reading about a 4N solution of sodium hydroxide that is supposed to work wonders and I have access to that so I'll definitely be trying it). I'd love to get one of those majano zapper thingys they look like they're the answer.

Madreefer
10-15-2010, 03:00 PM
I zap them. Works good and really easy to build your own for about $20. There is a DIY thread on it on this site already. Not actually a zapper but more of a acidic effect on them.

gobytron
10-15-2010, 08:45 PM
I would love to see a pic of a prolific Mojano infestation as i have neve actually seen one...

at least mojano are a little prettier than Aiptasia...

reeferious
10-17-2010, 10:11 AM
out of desperation first tried a butterfly aruga that cleaned up majano then wreaked havoc on the lps. went onto seagrass filefish and now no more majano or aptasias.

Bblinks
11-18-2010, 09:48 PM
PEPPERMINT SHRIMP WORKED ON MY 72 GALLON, COPPERBAND BUTTERFLY, JOES JUICE.

michika
11-19-2010, 06:05 PM
I added a "you're so screwed vote".

Things that have worked for me, and I run a majano farm!
- Lemon juice injected into the stalk, this requires precision and skill.
- Kalk paste in a syringe injected into the stalk. Kalk scares me, but its about as effective as lemon juice.
- When you get fed up just take expoxy or super glue and glue over them. Worked for me on a few stubborn ones. Also was pretty cathartic.
- Mojano zapper, I bought all the parts, I just have to assemble it, so I'll let you know how it goes.

christyf5
11-19-2010, 10:21 PM
LOL, thanks Catherine :razz:

I ended up trying the 4N sodium hydroxide route. Works like a charm and I've gone on two killing sprees so far with a third scheduled. I just kill them as I find them and a couple rocks I have just removed from the tank and either removed the majanos manually or doused them liberally with the sodium hydroxide due to the sheer numbers of majanos on them (there are only a couple rocks like that with 10+ majanos).

Lance
11-19-2010, 10:33 PM
LOL, thanks Catherine :razz:

I ended up trying the 4N sodium hydroxide route. Works like a charm and I've gone on two killing sprees so far with a third scheduled. I just kill them as I find them and a couple rocks I have just removed from the tank and either removed the majanos manually or doused them liberally with the sodium hydroxide due to the sheer numbers of majanos on them (there are only a couple rocks like that with 10+ majanos).

+1 Sodium Hydroxide is far & away the best pest remover I've seen.

michika
11-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Is this the same stuff that you "appropriated"? What about us normal people who don't have an "awesome" job with such access? How would we find it?

christyf5
11-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Is this the same stuff that you "appropriated"? What about us normal people who don't have an "awesome" job with such access? How would we find it?

You should be able to find it at a soapmaking shop, its also known as lye. 16 grams per 100ml water equals a 4N solution. Half that amount would also work but the RC thread I read said the 4N solution was more efficient.

zum14
11-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Just to add here but im going for the zapper route for me, I looked at building my own but I contacted PaulB on reefsanctuary and he told me $95 shipped to BC. I dunno its a bit much but looks way more solid and sound then anything id jimmy together, real professional and it seems to work by all the reviews and from what I understand I think hes getting a patent on it. (my problem is id have to build one that looks the same as his and to do that and get all the parts,tools and such to work the materials hes using its not worth it for one)

christyf5
11-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Just to add here but im going for the zapper route for me, I looked at building my own but I contacted PaulB on reefsanctuary and he told me $95 shipped to BC. I dunno its a bit much but looks way more solid and sound then anything id jimmy together, real professional and it seems to work by all the reviews and from what I understand I think hes getting a patent on it. (my problem is id have to build one that looks the same as his and to do that and get all the parts,tools and such to work the materials hes using its not worth it for one)

Oh cool!! I wanted to get one from him as well but wasn't sure if he was selling them or what was going on. I would likely have mostly just zapped myself with a DIY one as I'm not all that handy. Let us know how it works out for you!

Zoaelite
11-20-2010, 02:18 AM
4N or 4.0M? Certainly something I will be trying as these things won't go away!

christyf5
11-20-2010, 02:24 AM
4N, 4M would melt everything I would imagine.

plutoniumJoe
11-20-2010, 02:47 PM
I only ever got one mananos and took the rock out and chiseled the portion of the rock away.

For aptasia I tried Aptasia X and Joe's Juice. I found the I think they are essentially the same product but for some reason I found that the Apatasia X kept better.

I thought I was pest free until I noticed a dime size aptasia in my overflow last night. Obviously my CBB can't get to it there.

Lance
11-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Oops! I got a little carried away with the sodium hydroxide today and burnt a few small holes in my Monti Cap. :redface: Stuff works great, but you gotta be careful with it. Luckily it only stays hot for a few seconds in the tank water. I think for my next killing spree I'll use a large spatula to keep it away from the good guys.

tuck
11-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I've tried Aptasia X, Lemon juice and Aptasia Destroyer. All 3 appeared to kill the little buggers but then WHAM! I now have an outbreak, there are hundreds of little ones and many of them are underneath rocks where I can't get at them.

So far the only thing that's actually worked is boiling rocks - but I can't boil all of them. So now I'm trying Berghia.

The Berghia have only been in a week, haven't seen them since, don't even know if they survived.

tgoeujon
11-25-2010, 08:59 PM
i think im at the thousands mark in my tank and im just waiting to hear of a fish that will deal with them, i tried injecting them but unfortunately i cant reach the bottom of my tank so they just spread again. ive considered removing and boiling the rock but its not really an option if i dont want to shut down. Is there any specific butterfly that has a taste for majanos ( i know cbb for aptasia but do they like majanos?) what about the seagrass filefish, is it a sure thing?

doch
12-09-2010, 02:02 AM
I will assume that thses guys will die the same as aiptasia... TORCH THEM!!! Pull the rock out, torch the bugger with a bic lighter... or better yet, one of those little torch lighters. It will pop, and turn black, at such time you can laugh and call it names.