PDA

View Full Version : dead turbo snail bad? crabs are eating it..

kevNnic
09-20-2010, 03:17 AM
I have a dead turbo snail in my tank, that appears to have just kicked the bucket, is in a tough place to get at, but it appears all my blue legged hermits are doing a number on him, will it be ok to stay in the tank being the crabs are devouring him? i added a little prime to the water just incase, i can fish him out but its gonna be a giant PITB.

Feed back please!

Wayne
09-20-2010, 03:21 AM
Yeah one snails won't create enough of a spike to harm anything :) Its an expensive meal for the crabs but they should take care of him.

kevNnic
09-20-2010, 03:24 AM
ya i did some searching online and i didn't think it would be enough, they do seem to be enjoying my 8$ snail as we speak damn things!

thanks for the quick feedback!

Delphinus
09-20-2010, 03:27 AM
I find I can always notice when a snail has kicked off. The tank has a bit of an "off" look to it for a few days. If you pull that snail out now before the flesh is all gone, for example ... it will be in your top 5, maybe even top 3 most-foul-smelling things you've ever smelled. It's probably not that great to leave in there. However that said, my tank is littered with snail shells of those that didn't make it, and the tank lives on. I pull them out every few months or I let the urchins pull the shells out of crevasses and then I pick them off the urchins.

reefwars
09-20-2010, 03:30 AM
UmmMm in a large system a small snail won't do mch but a Mexican turbo snail gets pretty nasty ,I lifted one once that had been left for a long time when I lifted it nothing but black tar came out two days later had a tank crash , not saying t was my snail but they turn pretty ugly. If I were you And ts a bg mexcan turbo I'd take the time to remove it :)

Wayne
09-20-2010, 04:05 AM
I had two turbo snails kick the bucket at the same time. Small spike but cleared up in 2 days in my 29G. If its a big mexican turbo snail I agree with Reefwars that you should pull it.

I would assume that if the crabs have found it, there won't be much left by tomarrow mourning.

kevNnic
09-20-2010, 04:26 AM
there is about 5-6 fairly large blue hermits all over it at the moment, i will inspect tomorrow and ensure its gone or it will be removed.

Lampshade
09-20-2010, 05:58 AM
+1 on the smell, wow. I had one was stuck in a powerhead behind my rocks for a couple days before i noticed my skimmer pulling excesive skimmate. It got put in the garbage Thursday night and taking the garbage out on Friday morning nearly made me keel over. The next snail I thought that the garborator would be better... The only thing worse than the smell was the array of snail guts across my kitchen. Good luck.

kevNnic
09-20-2010, 03:47 PM
well i pulled the shell out this morning to inspect it and there was nothing left in it. looks like the crabs did the proper job cleaning up. also noticed a work like looking thing eat the snail shell, looked like a bristle work possible, first time i had ever noticed that.

Wayne
09-21-2010, 03:43 AM
well i pulled the shell out this morning to inspect it and there was nothing left in it. looks like the crabs did the proper job cleaning up. also noticed a work like looking thing eat the snail shell, looked like a bristle work possible, first time i had ever noticed that.

Nice the way nature kinda takes care of it self :)