PDA

View Full Version : anemone keeps walking

kevNnic
06-15-2010, 06:05 PM
well it seems everynight i go to bed and shut the tank light off and wake up the next morning my bubble tip has walked to a new position, the first night he moved a couples inches down to another rock, and than this morning i found him at the bottom of my tank in the sand? how can i prevent him from walking around to much and getting sucked up into my powerhead.. :sad:

its only been two days since i got him, so i plan on feeding him tonight.

Coleus
06-15-2010, 06:13 PM
I dont think there is a way to make him station. He will eventually stay once he found a good location but if something happens to tank like a new flow or new light, he is gonna walk again.

I would love to hear if someone knows how to make him stay in one spot.

kevNnic
06-15-2010, 06:15 PM
lol its pretty neat to watch him, he kinda rolls about. But im a little un easy with him movin around about the tank.

i guess i need to do more research for lighting, so far i have been running my t5's for about 10-12hrs a day and then just natural to no light at all.

Ian
06-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Mine was in the same place for months and then anbout 3 months it split. now both move around a fair bit it seems they can't find a nice comfy place. for what its worth they are both growing and seem very healthy.

kevNnic
06-15-2010, 06:24 PM
and you dont have any concerns about it possibly getting sucked up by the powerhead? it seems to be nice a healthy looking, bubble tips look great, i kinda feel bad though, its walking around and all my clowns wont leave him alone. lol

Coleus
06-15-2010, 06:31 PM
It sucks when it starts to move. My bubble rose tip anemone end up getting sucked up by the powerhead. Also killing most of coral that on his path.

kevNnic
06-15-2010, 06:35 PM
so i should be concerned than. I would hate to see it get hurt, maybe if it find a nice rock again i will move it to the opposite end of the tank and hope all goes well.

muck
06-15-2010, 06:38 PM
In the meantime... cover up those powerheads...

whatcaneyedo
06-15-2010, 06:39 PM
I had a bubble tip for about a year until I sold it and I've observed them in 4 friends tanks in the past. From what I've seen they never really stop moving around. Occasionally they take a break for a little while but then they're on the road again in no time. If you dont have anything else with them that could get stung and your intakes are well guarded its not such a big deal. But if you plan on loading your tank up with coral at some point you may want to pass it on to someone else eventually.

kevNnic
06-15-2010, 06:47 PM
my powerhead sits quite high in the tank, but i will be putting some mesh around it when i get home, providing i still have an anemone. so far all i have in my tank is 4 clown fish, and dont plan on adding anything else for a while.

kien
06-15-2010, 06:55 PM
I had a bubble tip once that kept moving around until it moved right into a powerhead as well :cry: Definitely keep a close eye on it and maybe cover those powerheads as muck suggested.

I also have two rose bubble tips in my tank and they have not moved since I put them in the tank 9 months ago. What I've observed is that if they get a chance to implant their foot into a cave or a hole where they can retract their entire body into it (for whatever reason) then they never feel the need to move. Of course, that spot has to have enough light as well. My bubble tips do that often, they'll spend hours shriveled up in their caves sometimes, but they NEVER leave their caves. In fact, I move one of them around frequently while attached to that rock with the hole that his foot is planted it.

kevNnic
06-15-2010, 07:02 PM
i will look at the power head tonight and cover with mesh as i would really hate to lose a cool create like this.

ponokareefer
06-15-2010, 08:52 PM
I've got my RBTA positioned on a long skinny rock with a leather coral on one end, and a toadstool leather and gorg at the other end. It bounces back and forth along the rock, but never leaves it. The corals don't do well when it stays at one end for a long period of time, but it always moves again. This has been going on since last fall, and the corals have continually grown. Here is a picture of the anemone on its rock.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/ponokareefer/P1000156.jpg

kevNnic
06-15-2010, 09:19 PM
looks great. I will safe guard my powerhead just incase, whats the best way to do it so it doesn't look tacky?