PDA

View Full Version : lockrookie's 50g tank build

lockrookie
06-12-2010, 12:50 AM
i bought a 50 g tank i was going to use as a qt tank and just have too many other ideas. and i need to keep my mind busy so here it goes.

im going to build this tank like a mini peninsula tank like ive been seeing so many of you doing. it has inspired me i want to set this tank up in our basement for our daycare kids. tax right off? i can try. as well im always tired of looking at a tank from one side i see the kids always fighting for a spot to see whats going on. thus the peninsula or room divider style will be made. besides they love the clown fish and i think i will keep minimal fish and more corals.. maybe. stock list will be decided later

i currently have a 20g fw that sits up against the wall with mollies.. i used to have ciclids but a heater malfunction cooked them. well not all some survived and now reside in a daycare parents home tank. it will eventually become the sump. i will rehome the mollies and already have found a new home for the 7 inch long plecostomus.

so this is what i got so far:
50g tank
20g sump
quiet1 4000 return
3 10g tanks to slice up and drill for overflow
going closed loop with another pump i have instead of powerheads
most plumbing parts still need a few more pieces
heaters

still need:
hole bit
skimmer
lumber for stand i have a cool idea for the stand to make it kid safe....no peeking till its done
timer bar
lights i have some but they wont last long only pc light.
adhesive
and whatever else i cant think of atm

lockrookie
06-12-2010, 03:13 AM
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/tank2plan1.jpg

here is the basic design that is most common there will be changes and even as i look at the drawing i know what i want to change.

hardest and scariest parts will be cutting the glass for overflow... yes i could just cut a chunk out but that would be too easy. if i break the glass well that will make it easier ill just get it pre cut and replace. all in all this build is to see how far i can go with as much do it yourself as i can. i may even build my own skimmer. im also going to keep track of all costs so i know how much it costs me in the end. and how much it should cost a new person to start in the hobby, with a basic tank and a small amount of research.

im also not thinking of doing a sand bed but instead a rock bed. i want to smash live and dry rock and lay the rubble on the bottom of the tank. i have seen bare bottom and various sand bottom but not a live rock bottom. maybe make it a complete zoa or green star polyp bottom after growth. still undecided. time will tell.

kien
06-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Cool :). Peninsulas seem to be very popular these days :)

lastlight
06-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Hmm that's a very simple and very easy to construct canopy. Will make working in there a breeze. Will it sit over the lip of the tank or will there be some daylight visible through there? According to your drawing little fingers will fit in that gap even with the lid shut.

I'd leave a small gap maybe so you can blow fans across the water and get that cooling to still work for you like an open top tank.

lockrookie
06-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Hmm that's a very simple and very easy to construct canopy. Will make working in there a breeze. Will it sit over the lip of the tank or will there be some daylight visible through there? According to your drawing little fingers will fit in that gap even with the lid shut.

I'd leave a small gap maybe so you can blow fans across the water and get that cooling to still work for you like an open top tank.

we have ac in the house and my 90 at this time has no cooling on it just vented sucking the ac into the top tank is never over the 80 mark. but i do want to add fans to the 90. as far as this tank goes im thinking led diy setup so heat shouldnt be too much of an issue the whole lid will be wired with led's. with a plastic guard to keep moisture away. i will take note of the heating issue tho to make sure i make room for adjustments thank you

as far as the lid i wish it to overlap the glass to keep fingers out.. theh kids in the daycare know fairly well where thier fingers dont belong we keep our parrot down there and fingers are usually no where near the cage:) i want this to look as clean and simple as possible i will be keeping a list of costs so ppl who are starting can see how much from start to begining what it costs before they jump in.

and well hobby/addictions should have a bit of experimentation. its what makes it fun.. and yes i know they are popular it just seems to be an ideal way to look at a tank. i want an inwall oneday but for now i play with a 50g i paid 50$ for.:)

lockrookie
06-17-2010, 06:05 AM
i have officially come across my first hurdle in this build. the tank has a inset border around three sides my assumption was that it was to hold a lid inside the tank. now i was hoping that the builder only siliconed the edges not the flat to the glass.. my hopes are now crushed.

so now i have to figure out how im going to separate these pieces of glass from the tank or its going to look like crap so far i have tried razor blades thin screw driver but it seems like it was clamped tight and no room to slowly peal the silicone off. i am thinking my only dangerous option it to chip it away untill im able to scrap the rest off. or leave it be and build a trim to cover the ugly. if you have any suggestions or ideas it would be appreciated. i really would like to remove it if possible.
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN0418.jpg

Kryptic4L
06-17-2010, 06:10 AM
id be talking to the builder if i were you

lockrookie
06-17-2010, 06:15 AM
its a used tank built by joe blow whatchamacallit not a pro builder or i would it fairly thick glass

jzz30tt
06-17-2010, 06:16 AM
piano wire or guitar string. Get it started on one edge and gently pull/saw through. Tis how you get glass out a car.

lockrookie
06-17-2010, 01:12 PM
i wish there was room to fit between the two for wire. i thought of that.. but they must have clamped it tight. i cant even get a razor blade between the two.

lockrookie
06-17-2010, 11:51 PM
well i used my hammer/locksmith tool with razor blades and pliers, flat screwdriver and slowly chipped separated the two pieces of glass( with alot of sweating and nervousness) so far without damaging the glass i still have the two short sides to do. hopfully it goes the same

also i picked up a diamond bit for notching the one panel for the overflow i am going to test it out on one of the chunks i took off first before i attempt the tank and maybe on a 10g. practice makes perfect. if i can succeed without breaking it i will be a happy camper. the upside is the bit is the perfect size i can make it in one pass and should reduce vibration and breakage.

then i have to plan put the next scary part drilling the holes for the overflow and for the closed loop/flow tree to hide in the rocks.

will let you all know if i get the rest of the glass off with out breakage

lockrookie
06-18-2010, 03:20 AM
so good news i got that crappy glass off and have decided to re silicon the whole tank better safe than sorry

bad news my work netbook fell on the floor and screwed up the display and i have to take it in to get fixed. the month has been bad:(

The Grizz
06-18-2010, 03:40 AM
Sounds like this has been a tough build so far for you Jeff. Don't forget picture's as we are all pic junkie's :lol: And you might have to get your wife to take the picture of you :frusty: or :drinking:. Hope it get's better for ya dude.

lockrookie
06-18-2010, 04:25 AM
lol yes it will be a tough build i knew it would be from the start i dont have a picture of it but... picture in your mind glass box sitting infront of guy holding hammer. razorblades in hand pounding on glass box. pausing to make sure the cracking sound is the glass he wants to break. look of relief repeat

this build will most likely take awhile just on the basis that im in no hurry. i still have to re arrange our daycare to find a spot for it. and i want to try some ideas i have gotten from other reefers with my twist to it. like a flow tree. i want to have a closed loop hidden beneath the rocks flowing out of the rocks and holding up the rocks like a rock rack. its in the thought process. i just dont want any of the plumbing/returns to be showing if i can help it. on an upside so far there has been no blood sacrifices just my laptop which is under warranty...

The Grizz
06-18-2010, 04:30 AM
I built mini sprayer bars for my closed loop and build islands over them so the flow could come out from the front of the rock. So far it seems to be working ok.

lockrookie
06-18-2010, 04:33 AM
ok good then i havent been sniffing too much solvent.. just nervous of drilling the bottom pane of glass i have to plan it well measure 50 time drill once

lockrookie
06-19-2010, 10:44 PM
well..... notching didnt work, i tried, the vibration from the dremel just popped the teeth off but i did successfully get the panel cut out without breaking the glass. go me. so i will have to find, purchase, and make a plastic background with notches in it. i dislike the eggcrate look.

then i took the dremel and smoothed it out with a sanding polishing bit to make sure there where no sharp edges.tonight i will re silicone the tankand then i have to build the overflow box. i took apart one 10g tank last night and cleaned off the glass. all i have to do is cut to size. im undecided if im going to make the overflow go all down the whole side of the tank or shorter but i am going to design it to have eggcrate inside (removable) to use carbon and filter floss. kind of a prefilter sytem before the sump.

one thing im having trouble finding is the piping parts for the overflow. i dont want to drill the holes for it and find that i made them too big to small. i may go to rona tonight and see what i can find but home dumpo has nothing.

will post pics later tonight sorry none of me working on it just end results

lockrookie
06-20-2010, 06:18 AM
here are the pics so far with glass removed from inside tank (see previous picture) and the notch cut out of the panel
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6466.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6467.jpg

here is the overflow box not glued together but i did well in my cuts and will be sealed shortly i still have to cut the over flow holes but im unsure on the hardware for it as of yet.
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6469.jpg

and in position just to make sure it was wide enough
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6471.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6472.jpg

DCDN
06-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Its looking good so far. Looking forward to seeing it finished

lockrookie
06-20-2010, 07:31 AM
thank you its been fun so far and i did end up with my first blood sacrifice forgot to sweep the deck after i cut the tank walked out in socks stepped on a shard of glass. so now that thats over with it should be smooth sailing

btw this is the bit i used on my dremel: 36$ but i can use it for work.. locked out of your car?? i will drill a hole in your window easy open fresh air lol. yes i know tempered glass but its would be funny.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/21565_XB-LF1_3.jpg

lockrookie
06-21-2010, 04:19 AM
just a couple more pics.. working on the overflow grill tonight install it tomorrowhttp://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6473.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6474.jpg

lockrookie
06-22-2010, 05:49 AM
so the wife gave me an idea im not sure if i will do it or not. but i may try to make a diy 3d background fro this tank with bilt in frag rack.. but i may not keep it even if i build it. it may be intersting especially if it gets coraline algea build up then again it wont be easy to clean but hopefully the snails will help with that. ive seen ppl do it for fresh water but cant find any sites that have used it for salt. what are your thoughts?

lockrookie
06-24-2010, 12:18 AM
well i picked up some dry rock and some eggcrate to start my 3d aquascape. will most likely not start it untill tomorrow night. i am going to try to build my return outlets into the rock work and vito the closed loop to reduce costs if i have to ill add a powehead once all is running. i will try to take pictures of all the steps i take but im sure i will change things periodicly through this build. hopfully it doesnt look like crap in the end:)

lockrookie
06-27-2010, 11:02 PM
well i have one more coat to put on but i thought id post pictures of what i have been up to for the last week on my diy 3d rock wall part 1 for this build.

egg crate

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6476.jpg

attachiing rock with zip ties

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6477.jpg

filled with great stuff foam

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6479.jpg

epoxy'd and dusted with sand only one more coat left but you get the idea.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6480.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6481.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6482.jpg

burtonboy
06-28-2010, 12:50 AM
Tank is looking good! Did u cut out the section for the overflow yourself or did u take it somewhere to get that done? What tool did u use, and was it hard to do? Bachground looks nice

Daniel

lockrookie
06-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Tank is looking good! Did u cut out the section for the overflow yourself or did u take it somewhere to get that done? What tool did u use, and was it hard to do? Bachground looks nice

Daniel

this whole project is a diy marathon. i am trying to do absolutely every aspect myself if possible or cost effective. so yes i cut out the over flow myself with a rotozip diamond bit it cost me 36 bucks but i can re use it for my work. it wasnt too hard to do just keep it wet and it cut like butter. then i took a dremel sanding bit and smoothed out the glass edges to reduced the blood sacrifices. i also cut out the overflow holes with it took a bit to penetrate but once a hole is made the rest is easy

and thank you part two will be an island tree/ return line circulation system hopefully if i can figure it out

Slick Fork
06-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Where did you pick up the Dremel bit? Is there a specific name/part number I can look for? How did you stabilize the glass to reduce vibration? I'm looking at doing something similar with a 33 gallon but the glass is much thinner so I'm worried about vibrations

Madreefer
06-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Your 3d rock wall is cool. Good job. I've only seen it once before but it was ceramic I think.

lockrookie
06-30-2010, 01:53 AM
Where did you pick up the Dremel bit? Is there a specific name/part number I can look for? How did you stabilize the glass to reduce vibration? I'm looking at doing something similar with a 33 gallon but the glass is much thinner so I'm worried about vibrations

i picked up the dremel bit from home depot for 36 bucks. to be honest i drilled the holes in the overflow box which was the glass from a 10g tank very thin very fragile cut like butter didnt even use water.

here is the bit http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=906277&Ntt=906277&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumberbut i think i got ripped the website is cheaper

or you can use this bit but definately use water to keep it cool
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=906276&Ntt=906276&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

lockrookie
06-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Your 3d rock wall is cool. Good job. I've only seen it once before but it was ceramic I think.

thank you it was a fun project but i will tell you this the epoxy gets you high and the smell take awhile to fade i have to try and soak it in water and hopefully it fades.

or maybe i should just sit in the room for awhile inhale some fumes and think of the next rock tree/return flow formation for the rest of the tank maybe in technicolour.

i know i will have to put some live rock in to seed the dry rock but once seeded ill remove it unless it looks cool with it

Doug
06-30-2010, 02:52 AM
Great build thread. And a build thread it is. :D

Good job on the overflow. Love the back wall. Looks like a very good job.

Wayne
06-30-2010, 03:04 AM
That is an awsome wall! I very well might consider something like that for my next tank. Any worries about the polyurethane foam leaching chemicals in to the water?

lockrookie
06-30-2010, 03:32 AM
from what i read no, the epoxy seals it and protects it from uv that could break down the foam but from all the threads on reef central no one has had any problems whatsoever and some made walls for over 165g tanks. much more involved than my teeny wall in comparison. maybe i should test it with damsels just in case..... hehehe j/k

Wayne
06-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Well thats awsome then!

4lti7ude
06-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Rock walls are siiick
Nice construction on the overflow. Looks like its OEM :biggrin:

Question about the rock wall tho. How heat proof is the great stuff?

kevNnic
06-30-2010, 06:39 PM
looking great so far!

lockrookie
06-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Rock walls are siiick
Nice construction on the overflow. Looks like its OEM :biggrin:

Question about the rock wall tho. How heat proof is the great stuff?

how do you mean heat proof? i dont plan on burning it:) and it will be submersed in water and i would think it should handle the heat of a tank from the threads ive read no one has had any issues that i know of and my heater itself will be in the sump not touching it. i can tell you its hot today and its been baking outside nothing seems to be swelling or shrinking due to it. and its out side right now until i get it soaking in water to help remove the smell hopefully of the fiberglass resin

and thank you for the compliment all of you it was a first try. i really should hjave tested a piece of glass first before i just started in on it. but i got excited. and lucked out

Polscot
07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
im bulding a foam wall right now also, what epoxy did u use, will Elmers spray adhesive work? how do i know what kind im aloud to use

Greenmaster
07-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Looks like a good build I will be watching.

lockrookie
07-09-2010, 03:44 AM
im bulding a foam wall right now also, what epoxy did u use, will Elmers spray adhesive work? how do i know what kind im aloud to use

i actually used fiberglass resin it seemed to work alright i had to do 3 coats to get the effect i wanted. i brushed on the resin and rubbed sand into it with bits of seashells. true test will be when the tank is running:) i wouldnt use a spray myself i dont think it will get thick enough to mix with the sand. the can of resin was only 17 dollars.

Looks like a good build I will be watching.

thank you its been fun thus far. currently working part 2 diy rock sculpture/return flow. im trying to hide the return lines within the rock pile with a flat rock shelf to use as a frag rack. hopefully i will get enough flow from the return pump i wont need to use any power heads or in the least very little power heads.

and i am following your build as well very cool tank

lockrookie
07-17-2010, 04:45 AM
well its taken a bit but im starting back on my build. got delayed buy company then a death in the family. so here we go.

i didnt take pictures of the complete build of this so ill try to explain.i used eggcrate as a base then tie wrapped piping to the eggcrate the one tube is sealed so that the water will push out through the two output pipes holding my flat frag rock shelf. and tied all the rock to eggcrate and pipe acordingly.

i still have to epoxy and sand/shell mixture to the foam but this will give you an idea of what it will look like and is the final rock piece. next part of the build is the stand/hood. im still unsure of lighting if i will do the led route or diy t5's 6 to 8 bulbs. still resesarching costs for most economical route.

anyways here are the pics by next week i should have all cotas of epoxy on and more pics.

jeff

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6486.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6485.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6487.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6484.jpg

thanks for loking

lockrookie
07-19-2010, 04:20 AM
well the dry rockwork is done next step is stand and plumbing. here are the last pics of the rock work other than live rock i have to purchace to seed the dry rock or to build in between the two.

oh yes i have decided to name part 2 rock sculpture/return, my i was here rock. named after the random rocks you see stacked here and there. anyways here are the pics

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6490.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6489.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6491.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6492.jpg

Greenmaster
07-19-2010, 04:24 AM
I love your rocks :D

lockrookie
07-19-2010, 04:30 AM
I love your rocks :D

thank you. the second one is a heavy sob but my return line is built into it i forgot to mention i tested it and both pipes flow like a dream from the rockwork.

lockrookie
08-20-2010, 02:27 AM
so i made a stand for the tank (just framed not finished yet) stuck a 20g tank under it and did some plumbing. so tonight i just did a fresh water test for the plumbing/ flow.

well first thing i should have leveled the tank before i started but nothing overflowed. close but it worked. i have to tweak the return it leaks a bit but thats minor

the biggest problem i am having is my one diy rock wall floats. sooooo i have to figure out how to make it not float. this is going to be a challenge.

just thought id give an update since its beena few weeks

Greenmaster
08-20-2010, 02:42 AM
To make it not float you can attach some marble or tile to the bottom... or you could glue it to the tank...

lockrookie
08-20-2010, 03:06 AM
definately do not want to glue it. if i get bored of it i want to be able to remove it. and i know duct tape wont work :idea: but the marble idea is a thought other than itchanges the hight of the structure which will cause me a problem with the over flow it would have to be thinner than 1/4 inch. i may try notching a portion behind it out. i have a spare koralia #1 magnet/suction cup i can try to attach to the structure. ill have toremove it and dry it out and see.

very good ideas tho thank you i wasnt thinking marble, any other ides are welcomed.

lockrookie
09-04-2010, 09:16 PM
yet another update..... i had searched for a long time for a sump gave up and posted on used regina a lf ad. i just felt a 20g sump just would not cut it for this build, even though all i run is a 20g sump on my 90(which works great, and this is only a 50. and poof within a day i had a reply from a guy who sold me a 36x12x15h. all was well with the world.

so the work began cleaning, scraping, measuring. and this is what i came up with. i got a lot of help searching sites for what other ppl did and liked this design. only downside is i have to make some plumbing adjustments but all in all im quite happy with it.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6497.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6498.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6501.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1089.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1091.jpg

on and end note i think i did well no leaks no changes just have to finish the stand/ paint stand get a skimmer(pending) and order my30" 250w mh with pc lighting. (i will retrofit t5's in it at a later date).

Greenmaster
09-05-2010, 05:12 AM
Coming along nicely

lockrookie
09-05-2010, 04:13 PM
thanks its been a blast building i need to work onmy syliconing skills if i could do a nicer job id build these things onn the side for ppl just cause i love doing it. all internal glass from the sump i cut and came from ppls discarded borken tanks.

lockrookie
09-09-2010, 06:19 AM
ordering my light for 50g tomorrow 30" 250w mh with actinic pc bulbs and blue moon light. i hope it works out well. will most likely need to add a cooling fan to the hood but this is why im ordering it now to test before i finish the hood.

lockrookie
09-14-2010, 04:46 PM
i was going to wait to post these untill i had more done but i cant just a couple pics of the stand thus far i still have to hide the overflow and build the hood. which i cant do untill my lights arrive as well i have to change my overflow plumbing with adding the 36" sump its a sraight drop to the skimmer section/begining of the sump.

anyways here are the pics

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6502.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6503.jpg

Rbacchiega
09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
yessssssssssssss

lockrookie
09-14-2010, 07:19 PM
im guessing you approve lol

Rbacchiega
09-14-2010, 07:23 PM
great idea with the return coming through the rock formation...This is going to be one clean looking tank from the looks of it. I'll be following this one along for sure!

lockrookie
09-14-2010, 07:31 PM
thank you and welcome aboard

lastlight
09-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Rad love that idea. I have considered this a few times but in the end get a little impatient with the scaping bits and forego the pvc framework altogether. Great way to make use of return flow I think and it serves two purposes: flow and support! Where are the outputs located?

That layout looks beautiful btw. Still allows fish to complete the track around the front too.

lastlight
09-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Lmao. Just noticed the locks. I guess it's a fitting addition for you huh? :lol:

lockrookie
09-14-2010, 08:16 PM
under the flat stone/built in frag rack one on each end of the stone covered by foam and epoxy and sand to look like the rest of structure as seen here

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6489-1.jpg

lockrookie
09-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Lmao. Just noticed the locks. I guess it's a fitting addition for you huh? :lol:

the locks on this tank are to keep the littlest of the daycare kids out but a key will be near it at all times in case of an emergency.

but being a locksmith does have its perks.. wife cant lock me out.. and interesting jobs for our cities finest... the stories i can tell.

lockrookie
09-16-2010, 10:48 PM
sooooooooooo a little bit of a lighting issue..the company i was ordering from and have ordered from before keeps deleting my order. so im looking into other options possibly. which will not have moonlights which is ok i have a remedy fro that. just waiting onthe dimentions.. do you think 150W MHL with 2 x 2bulbs 2Ft Fixture be enough lighting? i dont know if ill have much for sps in it. but id hate to underlight it.

lockrookie
09-17-2010, 06:42 AM
i think i found a replacement but its going to be tight the tank foot print is 35" x18" and the light will be 30" x 15" so i have a teeeny bit of room to spare :lol: ill have to order it tomorrow it is a 250wmh with atinic pc bulbs it should be good enough to grow anythng. hopefully

lockrookie
09-23-2010, 06:31 AM
just a breif update

lighting on its way shortly thankfully
skimmer on its way
hood in limbo atm
one timer power bar bought (second power bar maybe this weekend)

lower part of stand painted and plumbing almost complete here is a pic thus far

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6505.jpg

lastlight
09-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Nice work with the stand...white is SO the new black it's crazy! Will the overflow side be turned towards the wall?

Greenmaster
09-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Looking good.

lockrookie
09-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Nice work with the stand...white is SO the new black it's crazy! Will the overflow side be turned towards the wall?

thank you i had to go white to match the decor in the basement i would have prefered natural maple like my 90g. yes the overflow will be up against the wall when i move it downstairs im building it in one of our spare rooms upstairs untill we are ready to move it to its final resting place. it will be up against the main support beam wall hard to explain. easier to show when it gets there there.

Looking good.

and a thank you to you as well

lockrookie
09-24-2010, 08:55 PM
well skimmer arrived "thanks again stircrazy" and looks great. just have one slight problem to get it to sit in 7" of water i have to raise the skimmer (which i planned on) but since i went with a 36'" sump i now have a 2x4 hindering my raising the skimmer. ooooops. so tonight /this weekend i now have to modify the stand slightly.

at least ill have something to do i guess.

lockrookie
09-29-2010, 05:21 AM
ok so im stuck waiting for the lights tobuildthe hood i have a vaague idea on what im going to do but till they show im booooored.

so to keep myself busy (at least for a day) i have decided to paint thebackwallsl of my sump. why... i dunno just because and it will hide the wires. so im going to paint it white to match the stand so i wont have to see the mess of wires in and around the tank... and blue in the refugium area.

am i losing my mind? or would you do the same to pass the time?

Rbacchiega
09-29-2010, 05:08 PM
we're waiting on a ride to home depot right now so we're building a bp oil rig out of kinnex (sorta like lego) to sit in the tank until all the plumbing etc is done and the rockwork gets here...that way it's not an empty box

lockrookie
09-29-2010, 07:33 PM
is not empty it does have the rock work in it.. i am just slow these days with work so i need to keep occupied or ill go crazy so im planning every different way i can to keep wires andeverything neet and tidy. yes i know itis going ina daycare where the kids will beat the crap out of the stand hitting it with toys and what not. but i can look good once.

on that note i just finished painting the sump. letting it sun dry (again it was a usless thing to do but why not right) have purchased the lumber for the hood so when the lights show up.there is no delays. and will be going out to used computer places to find fans for cooling inside the hood willmost likelyhave them turn on when the mh light turns on.

as well this afternoon in search of sand not fond of that seashell bottom look. a fellow reefer has a bag i am purchasing.. i need to see if what is out there if i need more.

lockrookie
09-30-2010, 12:45 AM
ok proof of my boredom is here my painted sump pics...roll your eyes and shakeyour heads now...my wife did

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6506.jpg

with skimmer and refuge light
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6507.jpg

and a couple with refuge light on
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1245.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1246.jpg

lockrookie
09-30-2010, 03:28 AM
we're waiting on a ride to home depot right now so we're building a bp oil rig out of kinnex (sorta like lego) to sit in the tank until all the plumbing etc is done and the rockwork gets here...that way it's not an empty box

you got me thinking that i should make the hood out of white lego but then there is that chance of the lights melting it lol it would be different tho. imalso thinking that i should get something on the tank daycare themed like on the door and other side a fish pushing a carriage with baby fish in it... id have to find someone to draw it up tho im not very artistic.

lockrookie
10-04-2010, 09:03 PM
just a small update:

lights have arrived in canada....yeah!!!... just awaiting arrival should be this week. as soon as it arrives i will be hard at it making the hood and cooling system.

got some live rock off a fellow reefer/daycare parent. thanks jorjef. so with that and a few pieces i have in my 90g's sump it should be enough to seed my diy rockwalls aprox 30-40lbs

i set up a20g holding tank for some of the live rock. running it with my fluval for now. will be rebuilding it later this winter as a frag tank/qt tank w10g sump for new fish and future corals. just running 3 pc bulbs on it for now may get a mh pendant or something later.

already in the holding tank is a gbta chillin awaiting it's new home.

thats it for now. more pics after the light shows

Rbacchiega
10-04-2010, 10:15 PM
you got me thinking that i should make the hood out of white lego but then there is that chance of the lights melting it lol it would be different tho. imalso thinking that i should get something on the tank daycare themed like on the door and other side a fish pushing a carriage with baby fish in it... id have to find someone to draw it up tho im not very artistic.

Maybe some Dr Seuss fish stencils?

lockrookie
10-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Maybe some Dr Seuss fish stencils?

good idea searching now:) thanks

lockrookie
10-07-2010, 06:47 PM
the wife vito'd teh stencil idea.. for now...but....

the lights arrived today woo hoo. let the hood build begin.. i alredy see acouple issues with the hood but ill work it out didnt take account of the ballast for the mh. ill find room tho. so tonight and tomorrow i will figure out how to mount this beast and post pictures of the light.

the fun begins again. my first mh fixture. even if it is cheap lol

lockrookie
10-08-2010, 01:27 AM
ok so here it is the pics of the light im sorry im not a great photographer. all said and done im going to like this light. switched the 14k bulb with the 20k bulb right away and will start with that.

here are a couple pics before i figure out how im going to mount it in the hood. ill leave the tank shot for when i have the light mounted.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1298.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1296.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1291.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1300.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1302.jpg

Greenmaster
10-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Looks snazzy.

lockrookie
10-12-2010, 05:30 PM
so..stand is done just have to find a spot to mount the ballast preferably away from moisture of any sort. i figured a way to mount the light to be able to easilybe remove for maintenance. its not how i wanted my hood originally but i think all in all it will do the trick.well here are the pictures

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1814.jpg

with lights on

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1815.jpg

lid open

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1817.jpg

light mounted with hooks ..alum rod.. light rests on the rod with the chanel meant for original mounting legs

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1819.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1821.jpg

and now i have to wait until november to put it in its final resting spot.. its going to be difficult and we may not be able to wait but i need to prep the daycare for a few changes first.

hope you've enjoyed the build as much as i have

lockrookie
10-17-2010, 12:32 AM
well did some work today, moved the tank in to its final resting place. a couple of hiccups but it there now. no water will be in it untill wed/thurs going to do a couple water changes on my 90 and keep the water in a holding tub with power heads. then do another water change on my 90 on tuesday which should give me close to 30g of water for the 50. then i will mix up a new batch of water and start adding water to the tank.

as well i will be rinsing the sand and adding it to the tank as i fill it. the the sand clouds commence. when that is done i will let it run check for leaks/ problems. so hopefully by friday the tank will be running under its own steam.

as for stocking list this is what i will have for now:
in my 20 g holding tank.. fish will be added when im sure cycle is complete...

2 perc clowns ( had two babies 1 got too close to power head(my fault) will find him a friend later may he reast in peace)
1 red scooter blenny
1 cleaner wrasse
1 domino damsel (was in my 90 with a friend.. friend hated him will now go to a new home in 50)
1 cleaner shrimp (currently in 90 hopefully i can catch one of the 2)
1 mandarin dragonette ( will be added once copods start to thrive)
1 green bta
1 ricordea ( have to frag it)

stuff i still need to get:

snails
linkia star
and something for a sand sifter
more corals definately a couple sticks.

well thats all for now:mrgreen:

Scubasteve23
10-17-2010, 02:13 AM
im very impressed with the progress so far..great job

lockrookie
10-17-2010, 05:45 PM
im very impressed with the progress so far..great job

thanks scubasteve i hope to have pictures of the tank in its spot later today. i have been busy doing water changes and cleaning the area. there still is a bit of finishing work to be done but i want to wait until the tank is setled in thecarpet before i do that. all plumbing ishooked up and filtration set. i will have to buy carbon sometime this week.

equipt in the sump:
uvsteriliser by <aa>
odysea pump for refugium
quiet1 4000 fro return (still have toputa gate valve onthis just incase)
vertex in180
heater 300w

still have to set the lines for fill limit once filled and label what cord is for what when and why mind you i stilhavent done thaton my 90 yet and its almost been a year.

lockrookie
10-17-2010, 09:26 PM
well here it is. tank in place just a few minor trim to add and add water,live rock,sand. so next weekend it should be wet and running.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1841.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1837.jpg

thanks for looking

jeff

Rbacchiega
10-17-2010, 09:36 PM
That looks great!!!!!

lockrookie
10-18-2010, 06:36 AM
im hoping using water from the 90 will help with the cycle. i have about 30g so far and will have another 15 monday night and will mix up 15 more fresh which is over kill after sand/rock displacement. never hurts to have to much. i should be able to fill it wed or thurday night.

i will tell you, this is doing wonders for my 90, water is crystal clear and everything is happy. i am going to have to make a point to do water changes like this at least once a year.

reefwars
10-18-2010, 06:42 AM
Nice job on the stand and inlove the white it's going to make your tank really bring out it's color :) good job with the trim too:)

freezetyle
10-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Holy. First time checking out your build. Great work on the Rocks! Beautiful stand and hood to match!

lockrookie
10-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Nice job on the stand and inlove the white it's going to make your tank really bring out it's color :) good job with the trim too:)

it had to match the decore....my wife insisted

Holy. First time checking out your build. Great work on the Rocks! Beautiful stand and hood to match!

before i bought my locksmithing company i was a contractor with my father. we used to do everything from lifting homes up and building basements to finishing carpentry. my wife just calls likes that i am hady.

we built the stand for my 90 as well. this one is done out of maple. next year i hope to change it from 15"w to 18-19 "wide to make it a 120+

this is an old pic i need to take new one
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6124.jpg

lockrookie
10-21-2010, 08:04 AM
update:

this is what i know so far. water is in tank, salinity 1.026 achieved. sand in tank,may the clouds of sand comence live rock added. all equiptment running.and most importanty.....NO LEAKS..

only issues i have at the moment is

hood doesn't cover water line fixable just have to trim from the inside but it will have to wait until the weekend. i know its not the end of the world to see the water line.. but im picky.

secondly heat with all the equiptment running my temp is at 81-82 so i definately have to look into fans or something to cool the water ill know more whati have to do in a few days.i may try to run a couple pumps out of the water so that the pump doesnt add heat.

will have pictures up running as soon as water clears and adustments are made

lastlight
10-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Really like the stand and the rock already looks natural and it's dry!

I hope the dayhome has nothing but soft toys in it. I'm nervous just thinking about it. My wife ran one I know full well what that entails and it's scary!

lockrookie
10-21-2010, 08:56 AM
the kids are great not too abusive but...kids will be kids. when never know what they will do next and thats the fun of having them around. the way i look at it is this, if the tank didnt break with me pounding on it with hammers and razor blades earlier in the build it should handle a few bumps here and there.. i hope.

so far the only mishap was a little one spit on the tank. i think it was thier way of christening it?? i guess it is better than peeing on it. but themainthing iswatching theri excitement. so far this week they have been peeking in it, hoping a nemo will emerge from the sand cloud and make them go aweeeeeeeee. for me that makes the risk worth it.

lockrookie
10-22-2010, 05:59 PM
just a quick update water is clearish levels seem good waiting for a spike(if there is one). i added two huge fans and temp now sits at 78-79 at this time. which was better than the 82 83 it was at. added the live rock for seeding all is well with the world.

fishytime
10-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Live rock is in and IT..IS.....ALIVE!!!:mrgreen:.....looking good man.....

lockrookie
10-23-2010, 05:28 AM
Live rock is in and IT..IS.....ALIVE!!!:mrgreen:.....looking good man.....

thanks i appreciate it. i like getting your guys input. im still green only a year old reefer well will be come dec/jan. so im sure im making a few mistakes here and there.

on the other side here are some pics will most likely re aquascape once the dry rock is well seeded.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1843.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1848.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1847.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1855.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1856.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1854.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1853.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN1858.jpg

Greenmaster
10-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Looks good. I'm patiently waiting for your cycle to finish so I can see fish...

lockrookie
10-23-2010, 06:57 AM
kids keep hoping the same thing.. how is your tank going havent seen any updates in awhile....

Greenmaster
10-23-2010, 07:41 AM
kids keep hoping the same thing.. how is your tank going havent seen any updates in awhile....

... :frusty: your not supposed to ask about that... I did a couple water changes... it takes about 2.5 hours to fill my tank... I left it for about 2.75.... that was fun... check back around the end of November... I'm now hopping for fish before Christmas...:lol:

lockrookie
10-23-2010, 07:50 AM
it takes time my first tank was a pain in the asterix. it will be well worth it in the end. my fingers are crossed for you

Cliff
10-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Look'n good lockrookie

I'm looking forword to seeing some stock in there

lockrookie
10-31-2010, 02:11 AM
small update:

tank is running like a charm except overflow is a bit noisy but i hope to fix that shortly temp max's out at 80.1 and all levels are awesome. using used water from the 90 worked great. so great that im starting to get hair algea. will nip that in the butt. right away. moved one of my baby clowns into the tank.. lovin it and picked up a purple lta from pats( not going to attempt its true name). i have 4 12mm fans inthe system to keep it cool running on a computer fan controller so i can adjust speed as needed.

other than that nothing else new.

lockrookie
11-04-2010, 04:53 AM
another boring update with no pics. maybe tomorrow. i picked up some things from local reefers. im lovin it.

5 head frogspawn....score!!!!!
watermellon zoas..15 polyps
red zoas and another zoa not sure the names but will find out 10 to 15 polyps each,,, cant wait till they grow.
some green fuzzy shrooms
and tomorrow a rose bubble tip nem for my one tiny clownfish to make home(hopefully)

possible this weekend a couple acros and millies from another reefer out of town.

viperfish
11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
That has to be some of the coolest aquascaping I have seen. Not too congested, your fish will love you for it!

lockrookie
11-05-2010, 05:20 AM
thank you i hope`they do like it i may change the live rock after it seeds the dry rock tho not 100% happy with it at the moment but it is a start.

lockrookie
01-10-2011, 12:15 AM
so i did a bit of algea scrubbing and figured id post a vid of how the tank is looking thus far still need to get some corals to add some color to the mix but other than the algea blooms its coming along. vid is taken with our new kodak camera.

click on photo for vid

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/th_103_0026.jpg (http://s998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/?action=view&current=103_0026.mp4)

this next vid is of the manderin and scooter

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/th_103_0027.jpg (http://s998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/?action=view&current=103_0027.mp4)

lockrookie
03-29-2011, 04:52 PM
so finally got a few new pics of things as to not bore you with the details here they are some old with growth.....some new.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_0272.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_0265.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_0264.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_0254.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_0244.jpg

and one of my emerald posing

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_0258.jpg

Skimmerking
03-29-2011, 05:03 PM
dude I love you sump the way you have the refuge in thee its lie floating cool idea

lockrookie
03-30-2011, 12:08 AM
thanks mike i saw someone do something simular when i did a search fro sump design online i just changed it a bit to work for me with overflow in refuge it just made sence at the time.

i just wish i could buildan 8 footer like yours but im running out of room in the house lol

ScubaSteve
03-30-2011, 01:50 AM
here are the pics so far with glass removed from inside tank (see previous picture) and the notch cut out of the panel
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6466.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6467.jpg

here is the overflow box not glued together but i did well in my cuts and will be sealed shortly i still have to cut the over flow holes but im unsure on the hardware for it as of yet.
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6469.jpg

and in position just to make sure it was wide enough
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6471.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6472.jpg

Hey, how did you cut the notch? I'm planning on the same cut in my build in a month.

lockrookie
03-30-2011, 03:21 AM
these are the things i used:\

a 50" clamp straight edge bought at home hardware
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Tools/Hand-Tools/Carpenter/Fasten-Holding/Bars/CLAMP-STRAIGHT-EDGE-50/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I1022165?Ntt=clamp+guide

a mastercraft router /dremmel but a bit bigger than a dremmel... some ppl use rotozips or dremmel as well.

i chose the router more so for the flat edge to keep cut straight... side note make sure glass not tempered... i was lucky i didnt check and should have

i used this bit on the router cut like butter. found it at home depot price range 36 to 40 bucks

i used thesame bit to cut the round holes for my drain pipes too worked well cut freehand... just a note dont use too thin of glass i had to rebuild the overflow cause i used 10g tank glass for it and broke it twice... durring the build...

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/21565_XB-LF1_3.jpg

best to cut outdoors and use garden hose to keep bit cool i had mine on mist
go slowly. you can polish the glass again with a dremel if you choose with a light sand paper bit. and i did the down cuts free hand marked on glass with marker

if you go too fast the glass may chip alot but if you cover with black acrilic it wont matter. after you have gone halfway tape the already cut side to help reduce vibrationas well as the glass falling on to opposite sideand cracking the glass. as an extra precaution lay some old rags under it to prevent as well. again things i didnt do but got lucky.

i hope i got it it all for you and this helps if you have more questions please ask and ill try to help.

matinbc
03-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Well. done lockrookie... I love tripping along these random builds on canreef. Its an awesome learning experience to see how different people do things differently. Some day I will have my own inwall tank. But in the near future I see myself upgrading from 90gal to 180gal or bigger. And alllll the great ideas I get from all the folks on this page are going to be used in my next build.

Keep the live stock pics comming.. Bet the kids just love that tank...:biggrin:

lockrookie
03-31-2011, 12:18 AM
thanks fr thekind words most of what ive done was from ideas ive seen on here and other places but some i just thought up in hopes it would work.

the kids do like it one in whom is 5 now asks about everything and tells everyone what i tell him... mind you at 4 he wantedto bea paleontoligist and can tell you everythign there is to know about the job.

matinbc
03-31-2011, 12:57 AM
hahaha... awesome.. get him spelling trachaphellia (I know thats not the correct spelling!?!) and I will start asking him for coral advice...:lol:

lockrookie
03-31-2011, 05:18 AM
he prolly could he is too smart for his own good

Skimmerking
09-18-2011, 02:27 PM
love this set up this would look good in my Condo hint hint

lockrookie
12-11-2011, 06:12 PM
so its time to post another vid .. got some new corals thanks to brandon aka stones for the awsome colonies of pink mill and nora acro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiyZU-2Nn1w&feature=youtu.be

Skimmerking
12-29-2011, 04:24 AM
I think that 50 gal needs to be at my house wanna trade

lockrookie
12-29-2011, 04:30 AM
lol your relentless

gregzz4
02-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Superb build. Really great job with what you pulled together.
I only see one magfloat. Why not 3 and let the kids do it for you :mrgreen:

lockrookie
02-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Superb build. Really great job with what you pulled together.
I only see one magfloat. Why not 3 and let the kids do it for you :mrgreen:

thanks greg... i had a dream...lol

yeah no i clean the glass. they are happy with feeding the fish even if the clowns try to bite the hands that feed them. and honestly i only need to clean the glass once every 3 days it gets a lil dusting on it.

it was a fun build but as a hint to all make rockwalls in summer so you can air out the epoxy that stuff is potent..but still my fav tank at the moment

lockrookie
04-02-2012, 05:58 AM
sooo i decided to do a major clean on the 50 today which involved removing the lid as im scraping and scrubbing getting bti by my clowns i happened to peekk into my overflow....i see pink and yellow hanging out on the bottom of the overflow im like wtf.. there is my missing gramma.. now i thought the gramma had died its been like 4 months since ive seen it. so score 1 for me i now have 4 fish in my 50 lol. fished him out got hmback in the display but now i have to add a screen so it doesnt happen again... and a lid to the new tank for future refrence there is no way ill be able to fish out anything n that tank if it gets behind. so surprised it was alive

gregzz4
04-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Glad to hear you found your buddy

4 months :shocked!:
Even 4 weeks would be huge.

In my old 125g FW I had a breeding pair of Sterbais ( SeaHorse Fanatic has them now ).
About, oh, I don't know, 4-6 weeks after their last laying session, I took apart one of the XP3 filters :washing: cleaned it all out, tossed the floss, rinsed the foams, and dumped the canister body out.
As the sink is emptying, there's a wiggler in the drain. It's another Sterbai :grab:
It survived all that time in the dark with only detritus. And that was from either an egg or a fry :shocked:
I threw it in the DT and it grew fast with fresh food :mrgreen:

lockrookie
04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
its nto lik he wasnt getting food he is quite fat and fiesty and doing well in the min dislpy again just a littlecolor faded little sun he will be good as gold

lockrookie
05-13-2012, 02:18 PM
RIP pink milli colony and torch coral... not sure what happened but the milli shed its flesh and the torch smelled rotten. ah well what can ya do... water change coming up.

lockrookie
07-23-2012, 11:07 PM
updated vid of daycare tank.. need more fish wrasse went missing a week ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkhHRmwQqVU&feature=youtu.be

lockrookie
11-07-2012, 05:50 AM
i was playing with my iphone and finally downloaded some pics i took some not so great but coo all the same

about 100g less than kiens room divider lol.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/IMG_0223.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/IMG_0222.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/IMG_0234.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/IMG_0232.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/IMG_0231.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/IMG_0228.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/IMG_0226.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/IMG_0221.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/IMG_0224.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/IMG_0216.jpg

kien
11-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Very nice! Love the 'nem tower!

lockrookie
11-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Lol thanks kien it's my I was here tower/ return tower. Which the nems seem to like they never move. Started with one then it went on a split spree of 4 sold the other two. has stayed at 2 since.

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

lockrookie
11-13-2012, 06:05 AM
So small hiccup today on this tank woke up to my wife saying the tank sounded funny so I go check and stepped in a puddle on the carpet. Happy joy. it seems the skimmer air intake got cloggex and cause spray over and emptied aprox 10g of water on my carpet.regretfully I had a few jobs to do so i threw some fresh water in the tank to get it to running level and quickly mixed up an overly rich batch of salt water. ran out to work got my jobs done and have been drying carpet and slowly adjusting salinity back to normal. Still not completed but daycare should be good to go by the morning. This tank has been the death of me for overflow recently. I think a overhaul and replaning is in order.

Overall the moral of the story check your skimmer for issues or possible issues more than once a year.. Lol and or invest in a good carpet cleaner.

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

gregzz4
11-13-2012, 08:22 AM
My skimmer overflowed overnight last weekend for no reason and puked all over my sump and floor ....

Nothing like keeping an eye on the equipment to see what is happening :smile:

lockrookie
01-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Beginning of the year update

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/DSCF0162_zps39071403.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/DSCF0163_zps16e6788f.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/DSCF0164_zpsd287fe01.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/DSCF0165_zps4e55504f.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/DSCF0166_zps58343b1f.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/DSCF0167_zps495e1b0e.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/DSCF0170_zps80ef10de.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/second%20tank%20daycare/DSCF0173_zpsee5296ad.jpg

JDigital
01-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Your anemones look awesome! Well, the hole tank does, but the nems really draw my eye in.

Good looking tank for the beginning of the year.

lockrookie
01-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Thank you I have a list of ppl who want one when either of the two split again. I'm so lucky they like that spot. I got the original from a friend locally. And almost lost them when they turned white.

fishoholic
01-10-2013, 04:56 AM
Looks great, the nems really catch your eye :biggrin:

lockrookie
02-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Well the tank is empty of fish and most coral that survived my lack of maintenance. And the cleaning and re building has begun. Most o the ugly paly rocks will be removed to wither away in a fresh water soak. Hopefully I don't get any toxic fumes from this.

The exciting news is the first upgrade for this tank since it began. This will make the tank sparkly

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/first%20tank/706C0146-4557-47EE-A3F2-AE186039C07B.jpg (http://s998.photobucket.com/user/lockrookie/media/first%20tank/706C0146-4557-47EE-A3F2-AE186039C07B.jpg.html)

gregzz4
02-10-2014, 10:20 PM
Oooo, new goodies
And holee long-time between posts :razz:

Hope it comes back to life soon

lockrookie
02-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Yeah this tank was running flawless until it just decided to crap out last fall nothing was added or removed so nothing was to report lol. but it's time to rebuild and renew. I just hope I can bring the nems back to life they are hurting right now may move them to my refugium in the 180 till they recover.

gregzz4
02-10-2014, 11:13 PM
I bet ya if you just keep up your water params and feed them a bit they will be fine where they are, as opposed to being moved around
After they recover some, back off the feedings before they split and voila !

lockrookie
02-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Starting a quick project at midnight turned into a 4 hour endeavour ..... Gonna be hurtin tomorrow I mean today. Anyways hooked up a Reefkeeper light to the tank I had layin around. Still need another power bar. But that went smoothly enough. Issues started when I decided to replace the halide bulb In the fixture and clean the fan out.. The fan was a Goner so in my infinite wisdom at 1 am I cut it out and threw in a new one.

The new one wouldn't start try another still nothing tinkered for 40 min to realize the old fan was 6volt and the new ones are 12 volt. So after some fancy redneck wireing the halide should not overheat. But I did contemplate throwing the radion on and be done with it but regretfully I have to do some reworking of the hood to mount it.

Will take pics of the mess this tank is in so we can add me to the hall of shame lol

lockrookie
03-09-2015, 03:54 AM
Video update for this tank it's changed a bit since the loss of my rose bubble tips. Hope to replace them this year.

Purple Kenya tree anyone?

http://youtu.be/GOg6xNHvbME

gregzz4
03-09-2015, 04:42 AM
Wow, a whole year already

Lots of changes since last years pics

lockrookie
03-09-2015, 04:50 AM
Yeah I haven't messed with this tank so much but can you believe those monti caps wher only 1 to 2" in December