PDA

View Full Version : Do you smoke in your house????? vote for more than 1 if nessisary

ElGuappo
06-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Just wondering who smokes in their house... just wondering as skimmers are air driven and it may or may not have adverse affects on the tank chemistry.

naesco
06-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Just wondering who smokes in their house... just wondering as skimmers are air driven and it may or may not have adverse affects on the tank chemistry.

It's 2010. I would be surprised to see that anyone would admit smoking tobacco products in their home.

pelle31
06-10-2010, 09:58 PM
It's 2010. I would be surprised to see that anyone would admit smoking tobacco products in their home.

I don't quite get your statement. Its my house if I want to smoke in it I will.

The Grizz
06-10-2010, 10:32 PM
I DO smoke my cigar's in the house. I pay the mortgage so I do what I want when I want.:twised:

The Grizz
06-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Whow a double post. Opps

pelle31
06-10-2010, 10:58 PM
I DO smoke my cigar's in the house. I pay the mortgage so I do what I want when I want.:twised:

Thats a man after my own heart!!!!

PoonTang
06-10-2010, 11:27 PM
so that would bring up the question...If you smoke a big fatty of BC Bud in your house, do the fish get a buzz?

StirCrazy
06-10-2010, 11:30 PM
when I did smoke, I never smoked in the house. I hated painting more than I hated going outside for a smoke.

Steve

pelle31
06-10-2010, 11:30 PM
so that would bring up the question...If you smoke a big fatty of BC Bud in your house, do the fish get a buzz?

Not if its skunk weed!!!:)

StirCrazy
06-10-2010, 11:31 PM

why, is inside a persons house now concidered public space?

Steve

lastlight
06-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Smoking inside is fine guys but please be advised you need a minimum 6 foot long room to smoke in.

Mrfish55
06-10-2010, 11:58 PM
I wonder if some Texada Timewarp in a bong hooked to the air intake would ease the tension in the reef, Question is would you chop up the Twinkies or throw them in whole.

Seriously tho, I dont smoke and visitors are kicked out and kept away from the skimmer air intake so it is not sucked into the tank.

Edmonton newbie
06-11-2010, 12:36 AM
im with you on this one grizz only my mortgage is non issue its paid for :razz:

mark
06-11-2010, 01:46 AM
If I was a smoker, would seem a silly being more worried about the effects on the tank over myself. Be more if it's okay for me, it's okay for the tank.

no_bs
06-11-2010, 07:04 PM
We do smoke in the house, but never near the fish room. In the midst of building our new fish room, i have planed to have it a smoking room. All tanks are in wall, with a sump room which will be totally sealed with it's own ventilation, so the smoke(be it good or skunkin) will not be an issue. Only the good stuff will be allowed in the sump room.:lol:

macky
06-11-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't smoke. I wouldn't let anyone smoke in my house or car.

JonT
06-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Never smoked in the house when I was a smoker (two years since I quit)

Skimmers do react to the O2 levels in the house. Most notice it after parties. The skimmers react differently when many people are over.

New homes in the summer notice it too (unless they have a good HVAC system)

bignose
06-12-2010, 12:43 AM
I smoke outside for my childrens health not necessarily the fish.

ALBERTA REEF
06-12-2010, 04:23 AM
I don't smoke. But hear are my thoughts to the question at hand. We are all striving to have that perfect tank but controlling what goes in to our tanks. Smoking in the house, the air that is polluted by smoking is now introduced into the tank. Even small parts of smoke PPM. Read the side of a pack of smokes. All that goes into your tank by the skimmer air intake. You might as well pour oil in your tank BP!

TheKid
06-12-2010, 05:29 AM
I smoke outside for my childrens health not necessarily the fish.

Well maybe u should worry about your own health for your childrens sake.

Being the son of a smoker I personally hate all smokers. They are selfish, ignorant, and weak. When you tell them to quit they'll give the "it's an addiction" speech, BS!!! Quit all excuses!! If you really cared about your children or your health you would stop without ever looking back.

I know what it's like to have an addiction because for a few months I was addicted to weed, and as i saw what it was doing to me I quit and I was only 14.

This is my 2 cents, take the advice or leave it, it's your grave your digging.

lastlight
06-12-2010, 05:32 AM
:pop2:

Pazil
06-12-2010, 05:34 AM
I am quite sure that smoking affects the tank chemistry....... I am also sure cooking does as well... Perhaps we should not cook or eat around our tanks either.

Pazil
06-12-2010, 05:37 AM
They are selfish, ignorant, and weak. When you tell them to quit they'll give the "it's an addiction" speech, BS!!!

OR.... Maybe they just enjoy smoking!!!:rolleyes:

TheKid
06-12-2010, 05:40 AM
Enjoying something that will either speed up yor death or give you a serious cancer doesn't make sense to me. Smoking ruins families and lives, especially mine. I would lovebto live in a world with out smoking.

Pazil
06-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Enjoying something that will either speed up yor death or give you a serious cancer doesn't make sense to me. Smoking ruins families and lives, especially mine. I would lovebto live in a world with out smoking.

Me Too!!!!..... And also no drugs, alcohol, pollution, murder, rape, etc.etc.etc.etc.............

Oh Well.... Back to reality.....

lastlight
06-12-2010, 05:43 AM
I will say I shared your sentiments when I was your age and both my folks were smoking. The three of us kids gave them such a hard time that eventually they did smoke.

I'm pretty sure the OP just wants to discuss the effects of smoke on the tanks though. I think it must have a negative effect myself.

On a related note I keep the bathroom door shut for a few hours after I'm done in there because I notice my corals brown out if I don't.

ALBERTA REEF
06-12-2010, 05:45 AM
I guess we hit a nerve here! :lol:

TheKid
06-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Me Too!!!!..... And also no drugs, alcohol, pollution, murder, rape, etc.etc.etc.etc.............

Oh Well.... Back to reality.....

Classic smokers response. A firm expample of a person trying to change the subject to hide the fact that they are relayant on a carcingenic to have a good time.

ElGuappo
06-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Yes the question was directed at tank side effects. and was mostly aimed at smokers......

What i shoud have asked was "of those that smoke cigarettes by their own free will and realizing that it is infact bad for your heatlh aswell as others............Blah blah........insert rant........Blah blah......... , who smokes in the house?" yes i enjoy the odd du MAURIER every now and again...

Side Note: THIS IS A HOT BUTTON ISSUE APPARENTLY !!!!!!!

On a related note I keep the bathroom door shut for a few hours after I'm done in there because I notice my corals brown out if I don't.

sorry but i cant help myself.... my new sig.....

StirCrazy
06-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Classic smokers response. A firm expample of a person trying to change the subject to hide the fact that they are relayant on a carcingenic to have a good time.

I don't think your contributing anything to this discussion.. why don't you find an anti smoking board to stand on your righteous soap box. have you ever smoked your self? if not how do you pretend to know, and don't try say you know adiction as you were adicted to weed, you wern't you liked weed as it is not adictive.

Steve

TheKid
06-12-2010, 04:54 PM
I was just sharing my sentiments with you guys, as being a child with a mother who smokes and has for over thirty years it's a hard thing to see her health slowly deteriorate because of stupid piece of paper wrapeed over a plant. Unfortunately I know smoking will kill my mom but apparently although she won't admit it is the fact that smoking is more important than the time she will be on earth. And then when she gets a cancer she will be regreatting that she ever tried it and then she will quit. These are my 2 cents and this is where I will my conversation.

Blue-Wolf
06-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Being an Ex-Smoker, I used to smoke in my home. Once my kids were born, I quit smoking in the house and opted to smoke in the garage or outside. Also quit smoking in my car because of the kids. Now that I have quit smoking completely for over a year, I can say I do miss it at times, but wouldn't go back to it myself. I guess if you smoke in your home it depends on your surroundings as well as your attitude about them. However, that being said, it is a choice, wether you agree with it or not.

As far as smoking affecting tank chemistry, I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe it would be a measurable change even tho I am sure it does in some way affect the fish and the other tank inhabitants.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Mrfish55
06-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Just applied to the government for a 2 billion dollar grant to study the effects of cigarette smoke on aquarium inhabitants, fingers crossed it gets approval and I recieve the cheque soon :silly:

marie
06-13-2010, 01:11 AM
Just applied to the government for a 2 billion dollar grant to study the effects of cigarette smoke on aquarium inhabitants, fingers crossed it gets approval and I recieve the cheque soon :silly:

Call me when the cheque comes in, I will help you spend it responsibly :razz:

Pazil
06-13-2010, 01:36 AM

Just for the record I am a eX-smoker... However, I do respect others choices!!

Pazil
06-13-2010, 01:39 AM
Call me when the cheque comes in, I will help you spend it responsibly :razz:

x2:mrgreen:

Zoaelite
06-13-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't smoke cigarettes personally but if my friends are looking to smoke it's as simple as walking outside. If you have ever walked into the house of a person who full time smokes inside you understand why, if it's powerful enough to stain the ceiling then I'm sure it can cause adverse reactions in our tanks.

Pot on the other hand is a whole other story :lol:, I somehow have permafried my fish they now always seem to be hungry :razz:.

Snappy
06-15-2010, 08:06 PM
To me it only stands to reason that something that will kill people can't be good for corals & fish either but interestingly enough, I know a few people with incredible reefs that smoke around their tanks. That said, since smoking causes people's skin to turn yellowish, wrinkled & leathery over prolonged use perhaps the changes it causes in the coral's tissue looks cosmetically appealing to us but I am pretty sure a few of my buddy's corals have a bad cough & can't taste their food.:razz:

burblecut
06-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Being the son of a smoker I personally hate all smokers. They are selfish, ignorant, and weak.

Harsh!

I'm also a son of a smoker. Never bothered me. My father was unselfish, not ignorant and very strong. Best guy ever actually, still is! He quit a good 10yrs ago. Good for him.

You shouldn't judge a book by it's Cover, that's more unhealthy than a cigarette.

My 2 cents.:whistle:

Megalodon
06-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Heck no I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. I recently lost a good friendship over it. She kept coming to my house and being inconsiderate with her smokes. I would make her go outside on the patio and she would complain. Then she'd insist on having to keep the door open even though the smoke was wafting in and complain I wanted it closed. Then she'd insist on putting out her smokes in my plant pots instead of the ash tray and complain I wanted her to pick them out. Then one Friday night we were having drinks and she flipped out on me for not letting her smoke INSIDE, and at that point I asked her to stop smoking at my house entirely, even on the patio.

And that's what ended our friendship. I'm a "bad host, bla, bla, bla..."

daniella3d
10-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Beside smoking being some of the most stupid thing humans can do, I don't smoke (quit) and I don't let anyone either smoke in my house. Off topic but I wish that smokers would not throw their cigarette butt everywhere in the environment like they do, as if it would mysteriously evaporate on its own. They create more pollution all together than all the oil spill.

viperfish
10-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Holy crap, I missed reading this one! There's a kid that hates his father (even though he probably wouldn't have the things he has now if it weren't for him), some gal that thinks cigarette butts cause more damage than the Gulf of Mexico! I think we need to call Jerry Springer. I'll tell you one thing that's worst on your health than cigarettes, STRESS, and some of the non smokers here seem pretty high strung. To the Kid with the righteous attitude; we all have our vices, and no one is perfect. I think you'll find (after you get a few years under your belt) that everyone has a little sinful enjoyment that they shouldn't be doing but that's what makes us human. I couldn't imagine living life being a chronic worrier about all things health and environmental related, and hating everyone that weren't the model human being. Focus on the good things (you can still be responsible about the environment) around you and you may not live a terribly long life but at least it will be a good one. I see a kid who has had a serious "hate on" for his parents, you my friend are wasting precious time. Even the young and healthy can develop life threatening illnesses, and those "evil" people that have nasty habits can live a long life so leave it at that and don't be so miserable!

Wait a second... what the heck does this have to do with smoking and skimmers LMAO! Oh well just my 2 cents.

michika
10-20-2010, 01:47 PM
We smoke a cigar or two once and awhile in one room in the basement. So far one, or two cigars over the course of a month or two seems to have no impact whatsoever on our skimmer.

Although I think an effective case could be made against the smell of skimmate being hazardous for your health. That or its an amazing diet product; smell that skimmate? Now think of eating?

When people say that smoking, or large numbers of people impact their skimmer performance, what exactly are you seeing/experiencing? Do you think its just related to the higher CO2 presence?

phi delt reefer
10-20-2010, 01:49 PM
My wife likes to smoke with a drink from time to time. I like to "rig" her smokes (lighter flint :))and give them away whenever I have the chance. The wife just puts up with my antics because she has no other choice besides quitting which she chooses not to do.

I hate the smell of them and i also almost lost a couple friendships because of it. In high school my buddies used to smoke in my parents car on the way to a party all the time and i told them not to countless times. I got in some serious trouble for it and one idiot even burnt a hole in the seat. I got back at them though - i took up smoking for a single month and would out cigarettes on their carpets and seats purposely. I am a reasonable person to a certain extent - then i can get mean :biggrin:

Now that i have kids and my own house my friends are more respectful of my wishes and i have been somewhat accommodating too. I set up a smoke area in my back yard with a couple enclosed ashtrays that i make THEM empty once every couple of months. No one is allowed to smoke so my kids can see them and if any butts are left outside of the ashtray its the wifes job to clean em up cause it definitely wasn't me and you can sure as hell bet she was out there with them when they were having a "Drag".

Smoking in your own house is so trash - dont even try to tell me it isnt :biggrin:. Good luck on ripping out all of your carpets/repainting every surface in your home if you ever decide to sell it. Smoking cost way to much money - you might as well just spend it on your tank or put it an education fund for your kids.

ok now that i got that off my chest...

Back on topic - smoking probably does affect your tank parameters. I read that some tanks have crashed from people using aerosol cleaning products in the same room as the tank so smoking shouldn't be much different. Do it outside if you can I guess - or in your bathroom with a window/fan on if its "not an option" :rolleyes: No point in risking it especially since most of us have thousands of dollars invested in our setups.

gobytron
10-20-2010, 01:59 PM

This may be the most ridculous comment you have made to date, but I can't be sure...

can you eloborate on that?
I'd love to know what judgement you're passing on people and the basis for it...

rjengen
10-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I use a vapourizer all the time downstairs to assist in my anger management treatments :redface: and have always wondered what it would be like, to be a fish, and have a hit off my vapourizer...what a trip! I

Rbacchiega
10-20-2010, 06:10 PM
*lights cigarette*

I imagine heavy smoking around a tank would affect it, but I'm thinking HEAVY smoking...like a pack.

BUT here's my stand on the whole "smokers are bad" issue. *drag on smoke* Yes, its a vice and an addiction, yes alot of us who smoke realize its bad for our health. I like to think I am a considerate smoker though. Before lighting a smoke in someone else's house or car etc I always ask if it's okay with them...but in my house, damn right I smoke....it's MY house. I have opened windows/doors etc and stood outside in my own place though if I have guests over who it bothers. I also smoke alot when I'm drawing or painting...I think that comes with the territory of tattoing though...alot of tattoers smoke.

When I was in the hospital for 2 months due to heart attacks (long story)...they weaned me down...not off. To quit cold turkey would have caused too much stress on my system the doctors said...not to mention that 4 out of 5 of my regular nurses and my heart surgeon smoke as well. Yes, I have cut down alot....used to smoke damn near 2 packs a day and now am about a pack every 3 days or so...but whatever. It might just be my weird outlook, but the way I see it, I've died already (was dead for 8 minutes and in ICU for a week after that) and they STILL gave me 10mg of nicotine a day...weird.... Also, I know some old time tattoers (we're talking people who have been tattooing 30+ years) who when they thought about quitting their docs told them the same thing...they have been smoking for so long that to quit would probably cause more harm than good...they have all cut down, but still smoke.

My great uncle turned 100 in May. I asked him why he thinks he's lived so long. His answer: "I drink 3 glasses of wine a day, smoke a pack a day, and mow my own lawn"....

I also know of people who AFTER they quit for a number of years had more health problems than when they were smoking

(end long, useless rambling rant with really no point at all)

ElGuappo
10-20-2010, 06:55 PM
well my favy part of this thread so far is how opinionative some people are...

did you ever stop tho think hat these people that smoke in your cars a and houses without asking are just a$$holes? smoking doesnt make you inconsiderate... some people are just... well you know and this has nothing to with smoking or not it is a personallity trait... quit blaming the good people at players and de maurier for you friends short coming s as a person...

PS what are you non smokers going to when we smokers rebel and start taking over the world... keep pushing us into a corner and it will happen..

and is my throwing a butt out my car window really any worse for the envirnment than the non smoker who drives a car that burns more oil than gas??????????

Parker
10-20-2010, 07:46 PM
It's unfortunate that this thread deteriorated into a discussion on whether smoking was unhealthy or socially acceptable in your own home when it was really meant to be about whether is has an undesirable affect on your reef tank.

Who here doesn't do something detrimental to your health? You may not smoke but how may Baconators do you eat a week? You may eat healthy but you strap on a parachute and jump out of planes on weekends. Unless you live in a bubble it's all about acceptable risk. Smokers accept the risks of smoking. Surfers accept the risks of surfing. This isn't a conversation around the effects of smoking and children, the elderly or smoking in public. It's about the affect smoking has on reef tanks....

Rbacchiega
10-20-2010, 07:53 PM
It's unfortunate that this thread deteriorated into a discussion on whether smoking was unhealthy or socially acceptable in your own home when it was really meant to be about whether is has an undesirable affect on your reef tank.

Who here doesn't do something detrimental to your health? You may not smoke but how may Baconators do you eat a week? You may eat healthy but you strap on a parachute and jump out of planes on weekends. Unless you live in a bubble it's all about acceptable risk. Smokers accept the risks of smoking. Surfers accepts the risks of surfing. This isn't a conversation around the effects of smoking and children, the elderly or smoking in public. It's about affect smoking has on reef tanks....

well said Parker....mmmmm baconators.:hungry:

Zoaelite
10-20-2010, 09:21 PM
well said Parker....mmmmm baconators.:hungry:

KFC Double down would of made me happier :lol:, It always baffles me when I walk into Wais and his whole store stinks like cigarettes. At least give your customers the option and smoke outside.

Anyone have any studies on cigarette smoke diffusing into water? Maybe we are all wrong and the effect is so insignificant that nothing gets effected.