PDA

View Full Version : LF: Anything and everything! Just getting started.

bryceschutte
06-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Hello all! UPDATE: I'm set up and started!

I am new to the forum and am already very excited to adsorb a tonne of knowledge. I have had multiple fresh water and brackish water tanks in my life time.

Now I really want to make the jump to saltwater. So I come to the Calgary members to help me get started. I am going to have a lot of time on my hands for the next few months but not a lot of money. Long story short, I will be on short term disability.

I am looking to start a tank from scratch. I have 2 tanks that I am debating on using as my first attempt. A 45 gal bow front or a 110 gal. Went with the 45 gal for now. I'm thinking the bow front because I for surly cannot afford the sand and live rock to get started as is. I have filters, lights, and a test kit that will work to get me started but I am reaching out for some assistance with a few other things for either really cheap or free.

Power heads - Anyone have one laying around?

Protein skimmer - I am debating on doing the DIY one listed in the forum but would need some assistance.
Decided that it can wait. Just need more water changes.

Live or dead rock - I am very willing to start with a small piece and add enough dead rock ( is that what you call it?) and wait the 3 months or whatever it takes for it all to be alive.
I was able to purchase 30lbs of live rock from P_mantis and got some not so live rock donated by whiteangelbw

Sand - From what I have been reading I can once again use not live sand and "seed" with some live sand. Either way I need both.
Half bag live sand donated by Coleus

Current pumps - I know there is a better word for theses. Just cant remember (NOOB!)
Useing my fluval 201

Live stock - This will have to wait awhile until the tank is well set up.
I have a clown on the way once my tank gets set up. Donated by P_mantis

Knowledge / a friend - Someone willing to take me under their wing and teach me how to get started the correct way.

I am willing to trade services for any or all of the things I need listed above. I can babysit your tank while you are on holidays not that I know anything about saltwater. I am great with computers and Iphone / Ipads. I can also jailbreak them for you. I was a gold smith for many years so i can give advice or repairs on anything Jewellery related. I am currently selling Used vehicles at Sunridge Nissan and can give you a really great deal on a vehicle.

I have wanted to get into this hobby since I saw my first Trigger fish. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

saltynuts
06-08-2010, 02:34 PM
welcome to canreef.

you can find skimmers on here for cheap.

live rock you can find good deals on it base rock helps save money. one of the vendors has a sale on right now 50lbs for $185 shipping included.

you can buy live sand or you can seed some sand.

as for salt what ever floats your boat.( i use d-d h2ocean)

refractor meter is the way to go. i have a spare one and can ship it down to you.

powerheads depends on tank size and what your keeping.

let the games begin. you,ll get lots of info from canreefer,s. go out and meet some reefers, pick their brains, come up with a plan.
and have fun.

kevNnic
06-08-2010, 02:49 PM
i wouldn't waste time with dry rock, i have 30lbs of it and so far its quite boring. lol although benefical in the long run, Alot of guys sell their fully cured live rock on here for 4$ a pound. i would keep an eye out for that cuz its worth it. unless you play the waiting game.

eg. i purchased the 30lbs of dry rock for 4.99$ a pound, expensive, you can find live rock for cheaper on this site,

welcome to the site. Im still learning more than i can remember, its actually quite scary!:razz:

everyone i have dealt with have been great people, and eager and willing to help!

enjoy the reefing!

kevin

bryceschutte
06-08-2010, 05:54 PM
welcome to canreef.

you can find skimmers on here for cheap.

live rock you can find good deals on it base rock helps save money. one of the vendors has a sale on right now 50lbs for $185 shipping included.

you can buy live sand or you can seed some sand.

as for salt what ever floats your boat.( i use d-d h2ocean)

refractor meter is the way to go. i have a spare one and can ship it down to you.

powerheads depends on tank size and what your keeping.

let the games begin. you,ll get lots of info from canreefer,s. go out and meet some reefers, pick their brains, come up with a plan.
and have fun.

Wow. Thanks for the uber fast reply. What do you want for the refractor? HA HA I dont even know what I does but it sounds like I need one.

kevNnic
06-08-2010, 06:33 PM
your refractor meter measures your salinty, and your specific gravity which is the amount of salt in your water, I beleive most like to keep it around 1.024. As water evaporates your specific gravity will increase because the salt doesnt evaporate, so topping up your tank and consisitant water changes will keep it where you want it to be!

hope that makes some sense.

whiteangelbw
06-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Hi Bruce, I am the one who recommened the site to you from kijiji. There are alot of helpful people on here and they are great. A refractometer is for measuring the salinity of your water, they are great to have. I do have a 250 watt Stealth heater for you (never been opened) and some used to be live rock but now dry. I had some in my tank and after a few months couldn't tell the difference between the live and dry. I will let you know when I am coming in to the city next.
Angela

slough shark
06-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Are those tanks you have drilled?
derek

bryceschutte
06-08-2010, 08:41 PM
i wouldn't waste time with dry rock, i have 30lbs of it and so far its quite boring. lol although benefical in the long run, Alot of guys sell their fully cured live rock on here for 4$ a pound. i would keep an eye out for that cuz its worth it. unless you play the waiting game.

eg. i purchased the 30lbs of dry rock for 4.99$ a pound, expensive, you can find live rock for cheaper on this site,

welcome to the site. Im still learning more than i can remember, its actually quite scary!:razz:

everyone i have dealt with have been great people, and eager and willing to help!

enjoy the reefing!

kevin

I would love to go with pretty live rock from the start, but BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET. I have very limited funds to get started but a tonne of time. I will have more money after the summer.

kevNnic
06-08-2010, 09:53 PM
there is someone on here right now selling LR for 2.50$ a pound, there are alot of great deals to be had which will end up being less than the dry rock most likly is what i was getting at. I baught my LR for cheaper than my dry rock..:sad:

but it definetly takes time!

bryceschutte
06-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi Bruce, I am the one who recommened the site to you from kijiji. There are alot of helpful people on here and they are great. A refractometer is for measuring the salinity of your water, they are great to have. I do have a 250 watt Stealth heater for you (never been opened) and some used to be live rock but now dry. I had some in my tank and after a few months couldn't tell the difference between the live and dry. I will let you know when I am coming in to the city next.
Angela

WOW thank you Angela! Where do you live? Maybe I will be heading your way soon?

P.S. I'm LOVING this site. Thanks for the recommendation.

bryceschutte
06-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Are those tanks you have drilled?
derek

No not drilled. How hard is it to drill them?

bryceschutte
06-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Angela

P.S. It's Bryce, not Bruce.

bryceschutte
06-08-2010, 10:32 PM
there is someone on here right now selling LR for 2.50$ a pound, there are alot of great deals to be had which will end up being less than the dry rock most likly is what i was getting at. I baught my LR for cheaper than my dry rock..:sad:

but it definetly takes time!

To bad they are Selling it in Vancouver and I am in Calgary.

kevNnic
06-08-2010, 10:56 PM
ya sorry, didn't even notice. There is always lots in the FS threads so keep an eye out. even if u buy a couple here and there. I wouldn't purchase and dry rock locally as it was expensive from my experience. Online seemed like a nice source though. Sounds like you have had some nice luck in this thread already.

Hope everything works out for you!

globaldesigns
06-08-2010, 11:21 PM
If you want a top notch skimmer, I have a EuroReef RS180 with new pump and impeller. It will do 180gallons without an issue. If you do some research you will find these to be sought out skimmers and top quality.

PM me if interested. I am firm on the price ($250), but if you want it is ready to go.

bryceschutte
06-09-2010, 03:54 AM
If you want a top notch skimmer, I have a EuroReef RS180 with new pump and impeller. It will do 180gallons without an issue. If you do some research you will find these to be sought out skimmers and top quality.

PM me if interested. I am firm on the price ($250), but if you want it is ready to go.

Sounds like a great skimmer. I'm just poor.

thanhjenn
06-09-2010, 04:08 AM
Welcome! be patient. You are in Calgary, there are always lots of good stuff for sale in Calgary and at very good price.

whiteangelbw
06-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Hi Bryce, I will be in Calgary on Friday, are you working and till what time. I might need some computer work in the near future :smile:

bryceschutte
06-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Hi Bryce, I will be in Calgary on Friday, are you working and till what time. I might need some computer work in the near future :smile:

I work until 6pm on Friday. I live in the se. call me when you get to town 403-477-6101

slough shark
06-10-2010, 04:59 PM
No not drilled. How hard is it to drill them?

Well, I've never drilled a tank myself, however i know there are people in calgary with the know how and proper drill bits to do it. For the most part and the general correspondence on Canreef it only costs a case of beer to have the holes drilled from a fellow reefer.

It's just my opinion, but it might be a good starting point to have the tank(s) drilled, sump tank built or installed. These are relatively inexpensive things to do since you have the tanks already. I know you're on a budget, however, there is a lot of up front cost to get going so maybe put the refractometre/ LR on the back burner for now.

Start going through all of the build threads and different things people have done with their setups. I've thrown away so much money just from jumping into a piece of equipment or Livestock that just wont work. I suspect a lot of people on this website will tell you the same. Learn from our mistakes!

Can't wait to see it come together, have fun!
derek

bryceschutte
06-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Well, I've never drilled a tank myself, however i know there are people in calgary with the know how and proper drill bits to do it. For the most part and the general correspondence on Canreef it only costs a case of beer to have the holes drilled from a fellow reefer.

It's just my opinion, but it might be a good starting point to have the tank(s) drilled, sump tank built or installed. These are relatively inexpensive things to do since you have the tanks already. I know you're on a budget, however, there is a lot of up front cost to get going so maybe put the refractometre/ LR on the back burner for now.

Start going through all of the build threads and different things people have done with their setups. I've thrown away so much money just from jumping into a piece of equipment or Livestock that just wont work. I suspect a lot of people on this website will tell you the same. Learn from our mistakes!

Can't wait to see it come together, have fun!
derek

I have 1 member shipping me a free refractometer so thats not a problem. I have another member giving me some free live sand. I am purchasing 30lbs of live very curred rock from another member (he's even giving me a free clown fish). I have a fluval canister a heater and some decent canreef lights. I have a light timer. I think all I need to get it all together is a protein skimmer and a bag of salt. Oh and maybe some more sand and rock. Am I missing anything?

slough shark
06-10-2010, 05:27 PM
I've only been up and running for about a year now, so Im not the best person to be giving direction. I'm hoping one of the veterans can chime in here to help you out......

Start going through the tank journal forum. There are tonnes of pics and setups, tanks of all sizes, shapes, simple set ups and expensive.....

Ill do my best however, its raining out so I've got time......

Need some dimensions and parameters.... Are the tanks drilled? Are you running a sump tank?
Tell me every piece of equipment you have....

The reason I ask is when I first set mine up I was so excited to get going that i made a bunch of rookie mistakes in the beginning. Problems that i can help you avoid.

hound96
06-10-2010, 08:24 PM
i don't know if you have an aqua giant there but if you do and its like the 2 that are here in edmonton i have gotten a few real nice pieces of dry rock for 2.50 lb