PDA

View Full Version : Sump for 33Gal

Maverick00
04-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Hello Canreef! not only am i new to the forums, im new to the whole aquarium set up to begin with. Im currently running a 33gal tank, heater, 2 pumps for water movement, and skimmer. Contents in the tank are 6 chromis, 4 hermit crab and some weird red eyed crab i got with the 39lbs of live rock. Id like to build a sump to hide the skimmer and heater, what size of sump would be recommended for the size of tank and does anyone know a good sump 101 article? thanks in advance.

Bloodasp
04-01-2010, 07:43 PM
At least half your tank. Bigger if possible. Think of what chambers you want in there and the size of the equipment you are going to put in.

Dolf
04-07-2010, 06:28 AM
How much room do you have? A larger volume of water will help with stability- both in the case of something dead and salinity. I suppose it will all depend on what you want in your sump. Adding live rock? Cheato? A deep sand bed? Bioballs? internal or external skimmer? Filter socks? Internal return pump or external? An automatic top off? Any reactors? Do you have the space for a 220 Gal sump on your tank :)?

Yes, a million questions (my whole role on the board is comprised of increasing the total number of questions rather than just answer them.) I will see if I can not find an article on a sump and sump design- but for now I would say look at some of the build threads.

toxic111
04-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I have the same size tank, & I went with a 25 gal sump that works for my needs, I have the skimmer section, return & Fuge. If you search for threads started by my name you might be able to find the pics of it.

Never mind, here it is: http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59473

Maverick00
04-14-2010, 03:34 AM
thanks for the info guys, guess ill sit down with a pen and paper and try to come up with a design. That looks awesome Toxic, much cleaner, i just got a phosban reactor and these 1/2" hoses are quickly becoming an eyesore.