PDA

View Full Version : New Koralia Evolution powerheads.

ickmagnet
03-05-2010, 05:20 AM
I have always wanted a set of powerheads that will make waves but everything is so damn expensive. If you want Tunze or Vortech, you'll be spending over $1000 for just two!!! The koralia 4 programmable pumps are cheap but the brain is like $400 and they won't work with any other wavemaking powerbar.

I was just surfing through the net trying to find some cheap alternatives and stumbled upon koralia's new powerheads called the "evolution" series. I'm sure a lot of you have heard of them but I just read about them today. Anyways, the largest size ones put out 1400 gph and are smaller than the koralia 4s. They will work with any wavemaking device- even those cheap wavemaker powerbars. they apparently don't click when they start up. Some guy has tried them out and he said they are working fine for him. The powerheads are only like $50!!! I don't know if they have come to Canada yet but i ordered 4 today from marinedepot.com for like $200. I just have to buy a cheap powerbar controller and I'm good to go.

I'll write a review when i get them

BC564
03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
That would be awesome.....interested in your findings.

chris121277
03-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Tagging along here, let us know how they work out

Jackie
03-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Interesting

mseepman
03-26-2010, 11:19 PM
So have these arrived and do they meet your expectations?

ickmagnet
03-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Sorry, I do have them but have not connected them yet. I did my big tank switchover last weekend and will be doing the powerheads tomorrow. I'll write a review on them tomorrow. My bad.

flazky
03-27-2010, 02:08 AM
heya, did you have to pay for customs from marinedepot? =O...like how much was the shipping?

ickmagnet
03-27-2010, 11:56 PM
To answer the last question, I did not have to pay anything for shipping because marinedepot will ship anything for free in the US if it is over 170 bucks or something. I bought four of the pumps and had them shipped to an address in Bellingham (distant relatives). haha. If you don't know anyone near the border, there are a lot of people on this website that do who will be more than willing to help you out.

I paid GST and PST on the pumps. It came to like 20 bucks but sometimes they will just let you through.

Ok the quick review:

I connected all 4 of the koralia evo (1400 gph) to the redsea wavemaster all alongside one side of my tank. I turned it on and I was dreading a clicking noise (pumps turning on and off) but it never came. In fact, I had to put my hand in the tank to see if they were even working. They are silent and are at least as strong as my koralia 4 (1200 gph). I will try to attach a pic to compare the size difference. So far, I am impressed but durability will be the key determining factor and unfortunately, that can only happen with time. I'll update again after a few weeks. Even pintos drive awesome straight out of the dealership. But so far, so good!

ickmagnet
03-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Trying to send a side by side comparison of the new koralia and my old koralia 4 but apparently I don't have enough space. How do i fix that?

scar_11
04-29-2010, 05:11 AM
any update

Bloodasp
04-29-2010, 05:22 AM
There is actually a slight defect with koralia evo. This came straight from their site:

Hydor has discovered a slight modification is necessary to ensure the proper functioning of some Koralia Evo Pumps.

The issue is that some pumps can run backwards over time when used with certain timers and wavemaker devices.

The problem can usually be corrected by a simple cleaning of the impeller bushing, bushing o-ring and bushing housing with any safe solvent such as rubbing alcohol.

Hydor will soon have a modified bushing and bushing housing available to the consumer at no charge.

Please contact Hydor USA at any time for assistance at 916-920-5222 or 866-493-6787 or hydorusa.office@hydor.com

ickmagnet
05-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Thanks for that bloodasp.

So far so good with mine.

I did notice one thing however. I mentioned earlier that they were completely silent. this is not true. My reeflo pump was shut down for 2 days and as a result, I could hear a lot of other things going on in the tank. One of them was a soft click you would hear every minute or so when the pumps turned on and off. this was likely happening on the first day i got them but just was not noticable due to the pump noise.

Having said that, the noise is not loud or annoying and the pumps continue to work fine.

Still recommending them!

Interior_Reef
05-07-2010, 06:25 AM
We have sold several of the controllable koralias, and all of our customers have had nothing but good comments about them.

I have the GHL Hydor controller, with 2 x K4 controllables, running off my Profilux, and 3 x Evo 1400's. I am very impressed myself with all of the recent powerheads from Hydor.

ickmagnet
12-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Update on the evos:

One of them stopped working and another one clicks. The two other ones are working fine.

Lampshade
12-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I tried my kora's on a cheap wavemaker timer, worked for about a day, then they wouldn't start. I noticed the reverse start sometimes too. I'm interested to see how this goes.

whatcaneyedo
12-11-2010, 02:10 AM
I picked up two of the new 4's for my frag system a few months ago. I did some reading on RC and the general concensus is that they should not be used on timers so I've just left mine running constantly.