PDA

View Full Version : uv sterilizers

Steve_the_nucks_fan
02-23-2010, 08:43 PM
just wondering info on uv sterilizers? do you need to have one? just looking for some feed back. new to reefing. thx everyone

imcosmokramer
02-23-2010, 09:11 PM
You don't need to have one, but they won't hurt either. If you do choose to get one, make sure it's rated for the size of your system. I'll get you a link with info in a sec.
________
California Medical Marijuana Dispensaries (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

imcosmokramer
02-23-2010, 09:13 PM
"Ultraviolet sterilization is a proven, dependable, and effective method for controlling and eradicating algae spores, bacteria, and protozoa (i.e. ich) present in the water column. UV sterilizers destroy disease-causing pathogens as water is pumped through the unit.

Ozone has been used for many years in drinking and waste water treatment plants throughout the world for sterilization and purification of water. Ozone is a very reactive form of oxygen that can destroy an enormous variety of liquid waste materials and toxins. In the aquarium, ozonizers offer a simple, highly effective method of maintaining a clean and stable environment.

As a rule of thumb, we recommend 1 mg/hr for every 2 gallons of aquarium water. Click here for more information on using ozone in your aquarium."
________
Terpsichore (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Terpsichore/)

Steve_the_nucks_fan
02-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey thanks for the info. I might get one in the near future but right now I think I'll go with out. But again thanks.

The Grizz
02-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I have 2 on my 155, when i first put them in was not sure if they were doing anything. After about a month I noticed a big change in the algea reduction in my tank. Well worth every penny, I have a 30W going into my new 165 gal.

kien
02-23-2010, 11:34 PM
I have never used a UV sterilizer but always wondered, don't they kill the good micro organisms along with the bad ones?

Seamazter
02-24-2010, 01:11 AM
yes Kein, anything alive that passes by the bulb in long enough contact time gets fried.

Your amphipods isopods copepods all die in contact with uv light, not only them but thier food source too, any live phytoplankton will be killed, this will stop your system from creating the food your micro organisms require.

I have used UV before as well as ozone, and they most certainly do what they are said to do, i choose now not to though in order to have a diversity of marine fauna in tank.
Im certain my corals are happier because of it, there are other ways to control the benifits you get with UV or Ozone. Proper husbandry and knowlage being the largest.

When i did use UV it eradicated my tank of Ich, for that i was very happy, however now my cleaner wrasse has something to eat, Same for micro algea from the tank glass, UV rids it but then my tang has nothing to nibble on.

Uv is bad for anything alive that passes by..

viperfish
02-24-2010, 01:49 AM
Like pretty much everything in this hobby, there is no absolute answer. There is no doubt they do work, I don't think they erradicate everything (good or bad), the only way to catch everything would be to run the return pump through it and most people's flow rate is too high to kill anything, let alone everything. There are charts with most UV units to tell you the recommended flow rates. I have a 36 watt on my 180 LPS/Softie and no UV on my 90 SPS tank and I can honestly say I have no issues with either tank. The fact of the matter is do you NEED a $5K light fixture, a $2K BK skimmer, or a UV? They would all be nice to have but you can do just fine without them, and good husbandry is better than any of these things.

kien
02-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Like pretty much everything in this hobby, there is no absolute answer. There is no doubt they do work, I don't think they erradicate everything (good or bad), the only way to catch everything would be to run the return pump through it and most people's flow rate is too high to kill anything, let alone everything. There are charts with most UV units to tell you the recommended flow rates. I have a 36 watt on my 180 LPS/Softie and no UV on my 90 SPS tank and I can honestly say I have no issues with either tank. The fact of the matter is do you NEED a $5K light fixture, a $2K BK skimmer, or a UV? They would all be nice to have but you can do just fine without them, and good husbandry is better than any of these things.

So if your 90 sps tank is doing well without a sterilizer then why are you running one on the other tank? I'm just curious :-). Seems like an added expense that you don't need to run? Again I'm not criticizing I'm
just curious! :-)

Seamazter
02-24-2010, 02:35 AM
For a fish only setup UV is good, but for a reef setup it does good things, you must only then decide what you prefer the actions of the UV or the results of having more of the benifitial organisims as well as the bad without.

Many people only see the noticable actions of the UV (less desiese or less micro algea) and forgo seeing the actions it has on the other live micro organisms in thier reef.

If you can say even at a 50% death rate of live plantonic life is worth the benifit of having the reduction of the other more harmfull lifeforms is something you can agree with then by all means give it a shot.

I however preffer to keep a large diversity of life in my reef, and wouldnt use UV or Ozone ever again.

viperfish
02-24-2010, 02:36 AM
So if your 90 sps tank is doing well without a sterilizer then why are you running one on the other tank? I'm just curious :-). Seems like an added expense that you don't need to run? Again I'm not criticizing I'm
just curious! :-)

At one point I had a problem with ich, I had an adult Emperor Angel and a Bluethroat Trigger infected, I was prepared to throw anything I could think of at it to help them get rid of it, Cupramine in the QT, garlic, and of course the UV. I ended up losing the battle with ich and lost my two fish, I kept the UV running to help kill free floating parasites. I have never rid the tank of ich 100%, my Cleaner Wrasse keeps that in check, so obviously the UV doesn't completely rid the tank of parasites although I'm sure it helps. I couldn't run it fallow for a few months because I would need a very large QT which I don't have. The rest of the fish are good though. My other tank has never had ich, and until I run into it I don't see the need. As far as algae goes, I don't see any difference in the tank with vs the one without. I think high nutrients and lighting have the biggest impact on algae and introducing fish without quarantine is probably the biggest cause of ich, UV or not.

Steve_the_nucks_fan
02-24-2010, 02:53 AM
Thx everyone. I think with everyones insight I'm not going to run one. I have a good skimmer so I'll stick with that for now. Thx everyone.

MMAX
02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I was considering running a UV sterilizer when I was doing research on my backyard pond because everyone said you have to run one if you want clear water. I found a company out of the States who said otherwise. What happens when the water is passed through the system? Sure it will kill all the nasty stuff that causes algea and other things but it also kills your beneficial bacteria. Not worth the extra cost, just my 2 cents.

wickedfrags
02-24-2010, 12:36 PM
IME, if you have a reef UV will provide no measureable benefit. Claims UV units will reduce algae...well that is misleading, because it will not help with that (despite what the big box store may tell you). Chances are if you used one for 3 months you would see not difference in your tank and want your money back. I was sold one back in the day before I knew better, I recently chucked it.

If you have a fish only tank UV can be quite useful AT controling waterborne parasites if a properly sized unit with proper flow is used.

ntotheblue
03-16-2010, 01:33 AM
good with parasites like ich,but a uv sterilizer shoud be put on a timer for 3-4 hours a day depending on the size of the bulb in comparison to your size of tank!algae blooms are a cause of alot of things not done right in your tank, best to see where you went wrong or what you're missing
over feeding,cycling,skimmer,filtration,husbandry,light ing,temperature,live stock etc....................

ntotheblue
03-16-2010, 01:35 AM
this is just my insight on a salt water set up! not much of an idea on a pond set up!!