PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Puffer ate my glass Floating Thermometer!!!

bulletsworld
12-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I have a 9" Porcupine puffer (named Stewie..a.k.a Griffie) that decided to swallow my floating thermometer!!! (picture of one in the link below)! :shocked: I'm not sure why he decided to touch it after it has been there all along. I'm beating myself up that I even had it in there. Glad I heard the water splashing around, as I was trying to help Stewie spit it out, however the glass broke and tiny silver balls fell all over the sand bed! :shocked: I was in a panic to google what the tiny grey beads are, if they were Mercury or not. I removed all the fish (almost all), in case it contaminated the tank. Tried to remove as much tiny beads as possible, although impossible. Even though I removed a good chunk of sand bed.

I suspect the puffer swallowed some glass (pieces not found) and some tiny beads. He hasn't eaten for the last two days. Is my porcupine puffer poisoned himself?? If only I could pump his stomach, like humans can have done. Or have a drug to pass it out quickly, like a laxative.

The tiny beads... I'm reading are most likely are lead. Do you think Lead could poison a fish? How about.. what the ill effects would be to the tank if not all the lead balls could be removed???? Looking for any feedback.

Thanks a bunch

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ht-httfloats

sphelps
12-09-2009, 06:17 PM
I believe the metal balls are lead or another heavy metal, added simply for weight to keep the base down. They are certainly not mercury. As long as you got the majority out they shouldn't cause any problems in the tank.

As for the puffer the swallowed glass will certainly have an effect, the metal not so much. If the puffer continues not to eat it's likely dieing and you should consider doing the humane thing at that point.

Sorry for your luck.

The Codfather
12-09-2009, 06:19 PM
The new thermometers are not mercury, I believe a alcohol of some sort. I have no idea of the side effects, the small metallic balls in the base, once again I do not know exactly what they are, but i have had a few break in my tank when my regal got angry with them. No ill effects in my tank, of course he didn't eat it though. Sorry i cannot be of more help.
Bob

bulletsworld
12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
I believe the metal balls are lead or another heavy metal, added simply for weight to keep the base down. They are certainly not mercury. As long as you got the majority out they shouldn't cause any problems in the tank. As for the puffer the swallowed glass will certainly have an effect, the metal not so much. If the puffer continues not to eat it's likely dieing and you should consider doing the humane thing at that point. Sorry for your luck.

I'm not entirely sure if the puffer ended up ingesting the broken glass; however I tried to piece most of it together to see and a small chuck is missing. I even re-aqua scaped this entire 230gal tank to look for the pieces, with no luck. I'm sure he must of swallowed some beads of lead (or whatever it is) though. I can't see how he couldn't. I will wait to see if the puffer continues to not eat. Although, he's still is swimming around like nothing happened. He is a big boy and a tough fish, wish me luck, cause I'll need it.

Thanks for the reply.

bulletsworld
12-09-2009, 06:33 PM
The new thermometers are not mercury, I believe a alcohol of some sort. I have no idea of the side effects, the small metallic balls in the base, once again I do not know exactly what they are, but i have had a few break in my tank when my regal got angry with them. No ill effects in my tank, of course he didn't eat it though. Sorry i cannot be of more help.
Bob

Your post is helpful. I wondered if anyone ever had one break in their tank and if it affected anything. Thanks for the reply. :biggrin:

The Codfather
12-09-2009, 06:37 PM
My regal smashed them constantly, I ended up leaving the thermometer in the sump. I don't know why, but he hated them, as far as I know, i have had no ill effects, just gathered up what i could each time.

bulletsworld
12-09-2009, 06:45 PM
My regal smashed them constantly, I ended up leaving the thermometer in the sump. I don't know why, but he hated them, as far as I know, i have had no ill effects, just gathered up what i could each time.

K.. that makes me feel a bit better. I will add the fish back to the setup. I was worried it would poison the whole setup, cause I can't get all the tiny silver beads. Although.....hopefully my blue boxfish, by blowing the sand to discover her food, doesn't find a silver bead and mistake it for food pellets. :shocked: *faint*

fishoholic
12-09-2009, 07:24 PM
:jaw: Yikes! I had no idea that fish would break let alone eat a thermometer! I hope everything works out for you.

my2rotties
12-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Told you he ate anything he could fit into his mouth:lol:

my2rotties
12-09-2009, 07:27 PM
I forgot to mention give him forzen peas, it always worked when he ate snails and stuff he should not eat... good old Griffie, I see he has settled right in. He loves frozen peas too.

bulletsworld
12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Told you he ate anything he could fit into his mouth:lol:

CRAP! I remember you telling me that, now that you mention it! Gawd, you gotta love him but what a little bugger!

I forgot to mention give him forzen peas, it always worked when he ate snails and stuff he should not eat... good old Griffie, I see he has settled right in. He loves frozen peas too.

Thats an excellent idea! I will try that. :biggrin:

JDigital
12-09-2009, 07:43 PM
I ended up leaving the thermometer in the sump.

Which in all honesty, is where stuff like that belongs.

Sorry to hear about this, hope he pulls through, but I would be worried about any glass shards be may have going through his digestive system. :sad:

my2rotties
12-09-2009, 07:44 PM
You will also know if he has an upset belly if he starts inflating himself to realign his stomach folds. Does he have a cave in there for him to go under. He used to go into a cave in my tank so the powerheads didn't send him spinning off. He will be fine, just give him lots of peas for fibre... he ate so many snails and is still alive. He will inflate to throw up whatever is bothering him, and it does look pretty gross. When he threw up snail shells, he would often try to swallow them again.:wink:

CRAP! I remember you telling me that, now that you mention it! Gawd, you gotta love him but what a little bugger!

Thats an excellent idea! I will try that. :biggrin:

my2rotties
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
He will be fine... he never ate glass at my place, but with the amounts of snails he would crush and eat, I would think he can take this. He will just inflate himself a lot to get rid of it... if he is not inflating, it is not posing a problem to him I am thinking.

Leeanne, has he been inflating himself at all? He does love frozen peas and whenever he was off his food due to indigestion he would readily eat them. He poops them out very quickly too... kind of reminds me of a cow.:lol:

Don't worry about him, he's fine.

Sorry to hear about this, hope he pulls through, but I would be worried about any glass shards be may have going through his digestive system. :sad:

bulletsworld
12-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I ended up leaving the thermometer in the sump.

TJDigital... Thank you CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! I do keep one in the sump; however I like to also monitor my tank above as the temperture is always different with the MH lights on. Perhaps in the near furture I will invest in a controller unit to monitor temp. :biggrin:

bulletsworld
12-09-2009, 08:11 PM
He will be fine... he never ate glass at my place, but with the amounts of snails he would crush and eat, I would think he can take this. He will just inflate himself a lot to get rid of it... if he is not inflating, it is not posing a problem to him I am thinking.

Leeanne, has he been inflating himself at all? He does love frozen peas and whenever he was off his food due to indigestion he would readily eat them. He poops them out very quickly too... kind of reminds me of a cow.:lol:Don't worry about him, he's fine.

Thats a good point...he has not inflated since the incident. He will inflate after he has chocked on snails or mussel though. I never thought about that. I'm keeping my eye on him though. I would be crushed if anything happened to him. I tried peas with him once. He hasn't had them in a while. I will try that. Good idea! *superhugs*

bulletsworld
12-09-2009, 08:16 PM
:jaw: Yikes! I had no idea that fish would break let alone eat a thermometer! I hope everything works out for you.

Thanks Laurie! *superhugs*

I will keep everyone posted with the outcome. I've used these floating thermometers for YEARS with no problems. If anything this experiance may help others.

my2rotties
12-09-2009, 08:32 PM
:lol: yeah, but you never had Griffie... I would have never thought he would try to eat that either though... he's a floating pair of eye balls and stomach. I know he will be fine and I am still so glad you adopted him Just don't get wrasses or gobies... mid you it would give him a hobby. He loves to hunt, but he can't catch Damsel fish of course, but maybe it might give him something more productive to do with himself.

Thanks Laurie! *superhugs*

I will keep everyone posted with the outcome. I've used these floating thermometers for YEARS with no problems. If anything this experiance may help others.

kien
12-09-2009, 09:06 PM
I just skimmed through this thread.. are we talking about a fish here, or a monster??? What I read was, there's something swimming in your tank that likes to puff up and throw up glass shards to maim snails so that he can ingest them whole ?!?! :surprise:

my2rotties
12-09-2009, 09:07 PM
He's a monster to anyone that can fit into his big mouth...:mrgreen:

I just skimmed through this thread.. are we talking about a fish here, or a monster??? What I read was, there's something swimming in your tank that likes to puff up and throw up glass shards to maim snails so that he can ingest them whole ?!?! :surprise:

christyf5
12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
TJDigital... Thank you CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! I do keep one in the sump; however I like to also monitor my tank above as the temperture is always different with the MH lights on. Perhaps in the near furture I will invest in a controller unit to monitor temp. :biggrin:

What about one of those "thermometers" that sticks to the outside of the tank (its like a long rectangular sticker and the temperature turns green when it hits the right number)? I know they're pretty cheesy but they're also pretty accurate :biggrin:

manaf
12-09-2009, 10:50 PM
hey dont worry!! mine broke in my tank too but the red stuff was still in the glass and didnt leak but the balls went everywhere and my tank is totally fine its been a month now and no problems!

Funky_Fish14
12-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Hope Griffie pulls through! He'll probably be fine. I dont think the lead in him will cause enough of a problem, since it will be only short-term exposure. The glass, not so sure. It is fairly sharp. But I guess they can regurgitate no problem so?

If your main tank temperature is that much different than your sump temperature, then I dont think you have enough water-flow going. + The 'floating thermometer' is not really accurate if the top is bobbing around sticking out of the water exposed to the lights and air just above the tank. A thermometer placed right where the tank's drain empties into the sump is the perfect spot for it. That will give you a reading pretty darn close (i'd bet less than half a degree) of your main tank provided you have correct circulation.

Sticky 'strip' thermometers are no good IMO. They measure the outside air temp/glass temp of the tank, not so much the water temp. Sorry to dissagree Christy? But tank's ive seen with those on, they always read differently than the in-tank thermometers.

Good luck with Griffie!

Chris

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 01:24 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess to anyone without a 9 inch porcupine puffer this might sound weird. I gotta say they are cool fish though. Tons of fun character. Although they do get bored after time and can kill for fun, even if its a glass thermometer. :lol:

my2rotties
12-10-2009, 01:39 AM
Guess you had better get a couple of Damsels for him to hunt... don't get Gobies, we know what happens to those already. He will never get damsels but maybe they will give him a hobby which he seems to be needing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess to anyone without a 9 inch porcupine puffer this might sound weird. I gotta say they are cool fish though. Tons of fun character. Although they do get bored after time and can kill for fun, even if its a glass thermometer. :lol:

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 01:41 AM
hey dont worry!! mine broke in my tank too but the red stuff was still in the glass and didnt leak but the balls went everywhere and my tank is totally fine its been a month now and no problems!

PHEW! Good to know. Glad to hear your tank suffered no ill effects as to todays date.

I'm glad Stewie (a.k.a Griffie) spit out the end of the red stick and ball, located in the glass that displayed the temp. Hmm... I don't think the red stuff can leak out, since I know my puffer broke it. I was right there and never seen red leak out. Hmm... now I wonder what the red tube is made of and if it leaks too? *scratching my head now* Never thought I would be researching every piece of a thermometer to see what its made of, after all these years of using one. :shocked:

Funky_Fish14
12-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Oh I was going to add:

Dont kill yourself over it, but, I would probably try to get as much of the lead balls out as you can. After all, it IS lead, lol. But definetly dont suck up all your sand over it.

Better safe than sorry though, I think? :)

Cheers,

Chris

TrailFish
12-10-2009, 01:56 AM
I believe that the red "stuff" is just coloured alcohol commonly used in thermometers (no problem with such a small amount). The beads as everyone has said are lead shot. The lead shouldn't be a problem at the pH of your tank (i.e. won't leach over time). (If your pH dips low enough to cause leaching you have bigger problems to worrry about :) ). My biggest concern would be the fish ingesting glass and if its still ok then the worst has past. Have you posted of picture of this monster fish?

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 02:01 AM
If your main tank temperature is that much different than your sump temperature, then I dont think you have enough water-flow going. + The 'floating thermometer' is not really accurate if the top is bobbing around sticking out of the water exposed to the lights and air just above the tank. A thermometer placed right where the tank's drain empties into the sump is the perfect spot for it. That will give you a reading pretty darn close (i'd bet less than half a degree) of your main tank provided you have correct circulation. Sticky 'strip' thermometers are no good IMO.

You have a good point, perhaps I don't have enough water-flow going, I will look at that. With the floating thermometer, if I think to get another one, I will put in tanks drain box. That would work. Thanks for your feedback!

Marlin65
12-10-2009, 02:34 AM
I would like to see a picture of this eating machine.:biggrin:
Hope he pulls through swallowing glass is not a good thing not at all like a snail glass is razor sharp. Good chance he will be okay but swallowing glass is nasty stuff.

Marlin65
12-10-2009, 02:44 AM
You have a good point, perhaps I don't have enough water-flow going, I will look at that. With the floating thermometer, if I think to get another one, I will put in tanks drain box. That would work. Thanks for your feedback!

You should really be running a controller on your heaters or chiller (If you run one.) Heaters are know to fault out and stick in the heat position :twised: a controller will give you the correct temp and will prevent you from over heating. I am sure there are a few of us that have killed off our tanks because of a faulty heater. No need for a glass thermometer that way.:wink:

Funky_Fish14
12-10-2009, 04:52 AM
Agreed with Marlin. I run a digital thermometer in my tank, as well as a heater that is seperate from the control unit with it's own probe measuring the temperature. Redundant, and not that expensive.

fishhunter8
12-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Could you not just run a magnet along the bottom to collect all the lead balls? I still believe the glass would be more worriesome but if the lead balls bother you or they try to get eaten... don't know too much about salt water yet but I though this might help.

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 03:34 PM
What about one of those "thermometers" that sticks to the outside of the tank (its like a long rectangular sticker and the temperature turns green when it hits the right number)? I know they're pretty cheesy but they're also pretty accurate :biggrin:

I thought of one of those. But I figured they arn't to accurate. :lol:

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 03:37 PM
You should really be running a controller on your heaters or chiller (If you run one.) Heaters are know to fault out and stick in the heat position :twised: a controller will give you the correct temp and will prevent you from over heating. I am sure there are a few of us that have killed off our tanks because of a faulty heater. No need for a glass thermometer that way.:wink:

Very good point! Now that you mention it I did have this happen a few years back (caught it on time though) I'm looking to buy a controller. Any suggestions on one? :mrgreen:

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Could you not just run a magnet along the bottom to collect all the lead balls? I still believe the glass would be more worriesome but if the lead balls bother you or they try to get eaten... don't know too much about salt water yet but I though this might help.

:) BRILLIANT! :) i WONDER IF IT WOULD WORK???!! I almost want to tell the boss I'm going home early to... Wait a sec, I am the boss! :lol: Hmm.... I wonder if this would really work though?? Now I wonder if my Tunze magnet would work... hmm....ponder. GOOD SUGGESTION! Thank YOU! I will keep you posted if it works! :mrgreen:

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 03:50 PM
UPDATE: On Stewie (a.k.a Griffie) the porcupine puffer...

I spoke to soon about him NOT inflating himself. Late lastnight he was blowing up like a big balloon over and over. Poor lil buddy. Although..he wouldn't touch the peas, he did swallow the krill whole. He seems to be having trouble chewing. I'm thinking he cut his mouth on the glass when he had the floating thermometer almost all the way in. :( However; at least he had some food!!! WOoHOOOO! Now he doesn't want anything to do with me. Dashing away from me when I come to the tank. He's acting as if I may have made him swallow the darn thermometer! Usually Stewie follows me around as I walk by. He won't even let me pet him now, he dashes away. :( Humanizing the puffer aside, he's not him self and doesn't want to socialize. Which tells me he most likely is under the weather with lead balls and perhaps glass shards. :( I will continue to monitor and update. I will see if I have some pictures of my pet monster handy.

my2rotties
12-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Yup he has indigestion... not much you can do aside of trying peas and krill. I would imagine if he is inflating he has not tore his stomach up from the glass enough stop him from doing so. I would think this is a good sign but I am not sure. Whenever he did this at my house you would swear he had difficulty chewing as well, but I think it is from him trying to upchuck what is bothering him.

When he had indigestion here, he would not eat for up to a week, and was fine. I would take a shrimp or prawn and almost tease him with it for trigger a feeding response. Be careful when you do this, since once he strikes he tends to get both fingers in his mouth along with the food. How do I know this? He almost came out of the tank with my fingers once. He didn't do much damage but it hurt.

Like you mentioned to me a long time ago... he is getting really bored and needs some sort of stimulation. I am thinking you need a couple of fish you don't care about much for him to hunt. He was a big boy when he was caught, and I think he was hunting in the wild for too long to be totally happy in captivity at times. He is still the largest puffer I have ever seen.

UPDATE: On Stewie (a.k.a Griffie) the porcupine puffer...

I spoke to soon about him NOT inflating himself. Late lastnight he was blowing up like a big balloon over and over. Poor lil buddy. Although..he wouldn't touch the peas, he did swallow the krill whole. He seems to be having trouble chewing. I'm thinking he cut his mouth on the glass when he had the floating thermometer almost all the way in. :( However he ate!!! WOoHOOOO! Now he doesn't want anything to do with me. Dashing away from me when I come to the tank. He's acting as if I may have made him swallow the darn thermometer! Usually Stewie follows me around as I walk by. He won't even let me pet him now, he dashes away. :(

I will try to get a picture of Stewie for ya guys.

mike31154
12-10-2009, 04:16 PM
I thought of one of those. But I figured they arn't to accurate. :lol:

I use a number of different thermometer types including the stick on cheapies. IME, the stick on is within half a degree Celsius (yes I prefer C over F) of the two digital thermometers in the display. I've seen plenty of threads with folks reporting that the digitals are off. No type of thermometer is foolproof. One of the ones I liked the most was in fact a floating glass thermometer/hydrometer combination. The hydrometer part of it was accurate as well when compared to my refractometer. It's well established technology, needs no batteries etc, the drawback being that they're breakable as you've experienced.

As far as accuracy, how much is really needed in the hobby? I often see folks reporting a salinity of 1.0264 on their refractometers. What's up with that last decimal point? The scale makes it almost impossible to read off that level of accuracy, it's at best a guess. If you just need a quick check to ensure you're heaters aren't malfunctioning, a stick on thermometer will do that for you nicely. Even if it's off a few degrees, it will keep you in the 'ballpark' so to speak.

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Here is some pictures of Stewie (a.k.a Griffie)

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac82/bulletsworld/stewie3.jpg

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac82/bulletsworld/stewie1.jpg

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac82/bulletsworld/stewie2.jpg

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac82/bulletsworld/stewie4.jpg

Pictures don't do justice, as he looks small in pictures. I assure you need a bucket to get him out of the tank. :lol:

my2rotties
12-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Ooohhhh you got a Norman too!!! My guy is doing great. I took him off of frozen foods to slow down his growth. He is as big as Griffie now! Norman is the fastest growing fish I have ever had.

I miss my big fatso... but my smaller fish sure don't. He looks awesome!

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I use a number of different thermometer types including the stick on cheapies. IME, the stick on is within half a degree Celsius (yes I prefer C over F) of the two digital thermometers in the display. I've seen plenty of threads with folks reporting that the digitals are off. No type of thermometer is foolproof. One of the ones I liked the most was in fact a floating glass thermometer/hydrometer combination. The hydrometer part of it was accurate as well when compared to my refractometer. It's well established technology, needs no batteries etc, the drawback being that they're breakable as you've experienced.

As far as accuracy, how much is really needed in the hobby? I often see folks reporting a salinity of 1.0264 on their refractometers. What's up with that last decimal point? The scale makes it almost impossible to read off that level of accuracy, it's at best a guess. If you just need a quick check to ensure you're heaters aren't malfunctioning, a stick on thermometer will do that for you nicely. Even if it's off a few degrees, it will keep you in the 'ballpark' so to speak.

GOOD POINT! Well said! I do have digital thermometers ($15 a piece new) that I use for my tub transfers. I have found them to only last me a few months before they go, battery goes low, salt build up on the probe, or water splashes on them. However the gauge reads a bit inaccurate at times against the same brand thermometer but as long as its close. I used glass cause I used it against the others to see what is correct. Especially when the digitals read all different in the same water. It's time for a controller!

Dear Santa... Let me explain. Hehe

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Like you mentioned to me a long time ago... he is getting really bored and needs some sort of stimulation. I am thinking you need a couple of fish you don't care about much for him to hunt. He was a big boy when he was caught, and I think he was hunting in the wild for too long to be totally happy in captivity at times. He is still the largest puffer I have ever seen.

He's the largest puffer I've ever seen! I was surprised when I first seen him. I did get a orange spoted goby he hasn't been able to catch, although I wish he would. Goby is digging big holes under my rock and tumbling it. I can't even catch that lil bugger!! I was hoping Stewie could for me. :lol: I also put a lawn mover blenny and a damsel in there with no luck of him catching.

Hey did you ever see the video of the lady that did work out routines infront of her porcupine puffer and he followed. I gotta see if I can find that video. Its so neat! Next I will try work outs in front of Stewie to see if he responds. :lol: This time I doubt he's bored but a little under the weather. I know the silver lead balls he injested can't be good for him.

Skimmerking
12-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Good Old Griffie there what a nutbar. he should be CANREEF'S mascot.

my2rotties
12-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Never saw the videos I bet Griffie would do it though. Just tie a shrimp to your waist, or dress in clown fish colours:lol: Griff would get the gobies by herding them into the corner where my overflows were. Generally they would go into the over flows and drown in the sump downstairs from the rushing water. Then he bit my Mandarin in half remember? He hunts a certain way but he never bothered my LMB. Get a clown fish, he will love you forever... he seems to really enjoy those! Just kidding! He does love those though. He also enjoys wrasses, and after my Mandarin finally died he was looking for him forever. They are supposed to be poisonous and it did not bother Griffie a bit to eat half of it. I doubt that a belly full of lead would bother him either...

Give him time for a hunting strategy for the gobie, he will figure it out since he has nothing but time.

He's the largest puffer I've ever seen! I was surprised when I first seen him. I did get a orange spoted goby he hasn't been able to catch, although I wish he would. Goby is digging big holes under my rock and tumbling it. I can't even catch that lil bugger!! I was hoping Stewie could for me. :lol: I also put a lawn mover blenny and a damsel in there with no luck of him catching.

Hey did you ever see the video of the lady that did work out routines infront of her porcupine puffer and he followed. I gotta see if I can find that video. Its so neat! Next I will try work outs in front of Stewie to see if he responds. :lol: This time I doubt he's bored but a little under the weather. I know the silver lead balls he injested can't be good for him.

my2rotties
12-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Hahhaaaa!!! No kidding, the butthead.

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 05:58 PM
ooohhhh you got a norman too!!! My guy is doing great. I took him off of frozen foods to slow down his growth. He is as big as griffie now! Norman is the fastest growing fish i have ever had. I miss my big fatso... But my smaller fish sure don't. He looks awesome!

edit

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 06:02 PM

ROTF! :lol: :lol: :lol: That would be too funny! :laugh: He could do it! He loves posing for the camera! Hehe

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Never saw the videos I bet Griffie would do it though. Just tie a shrimp to your waist, or dress in clown fish colours:lol:

I could just see myself now...dressed in a clown fish costume, doing aerobics in front of the tank. Derek and my neighbours would think I finally lost my NOODLE! :laugh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

my2rotties
12-10-2009, 06:19 PM
You really must go to Elite and see George, Colby's cowfish... he is HUGE! Makes Norman look wee. I grew Norman out quickly so he could handle my powerheads in the tank. When he ate Griffie's puffer chow and frozen foods he grew very rapidly. I now have him on more vegan fare but he gets frozen food treats. I still need to come by and see your tank one of these days. I have had really bad Laryngitis and cannot even speak to my clients. I see the phone ringing and can't answer it.

We still need to get this Marine betta to you. I have done nothing with my tank at all, and have no new additions of any kind. If you want a fish with a lot of personality I would get a Sargassum trigger if I were you. My guy Dave is a hoot! Of course Bananaman is the the star of the show most times... I ahve never seen another Banana wrasse anywhere. If I could catch your foxface I would give her back to you. I grew her all out really nice as you know. The tangs don't even mess with her anymore. Chad the Regal Angel is thriving but he has pretty much murdered every soft coral I had in my tank, and my toadstool are chewed to heck now too. My tank is slowly turning into a FOWLR, but I am okay with that. My fish need to swimming space.

More pictures please!!!

No longhorn cowfish is as COOL as NORMAN!! Norman is AWESOME! I LOVE NORMAN! And if I may add... Norman is the largest longhorn I have EVER seen!!! :biggrin: I know you wanted me to one day take him...BUT..You will have him forever. So.. one day when I was shopping and seen a adorable longhorn with no parasites, very healthy, I couldn't resist the lil guy! Especially when he came to the glass! I named him Luigi and he's buddies with Stewie (a.k.a Griffie) These longhorn cowfish grow super FAST! He was smaller when I got him.

I also got a blue boxfish, named Dotty. What a sweetie! I'm happy to get her on pellets, nori and mysis. After all she would only eat sponges when I first got her. So finally got her on the other stuff...finally! Took me a bit. But she eats all day long, always grazing and doesn't grow! Maybe a tiny bit but thats it. Doesn't grow like the longhorns do. Thats for sure.

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 07:02 PM
I found one video showing puffer aerobics...although not that good quality. I have seen a better video years back that was very cool, but I can't find it now. Check this one out below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsvONE2Lkr4

Think Stewie (a.k.a Griffie) would go for this... with a clown suit on and some good background beats? :laugh:

my2rotties
12-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Hahaaa that fish looks like he wants to eat her. Poor guy is begging like he is going to die :mrgreen:

I found one video showing puffer aerobics...although not that good quality. I have seen a better video years back that was very cool, but I can't find it now. Check this one out below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsvONE2Lkr4

Think Stewie (a.k.a Griffie) would go for this... with a clown suit on and some good background beats? :laugh:

bulletsworld
12-10-2009, 08:03 PM
I still need to come by and see your tank one of these days. I have had really bad Laryngitis and cannot even speak...

Yes, you do! Your welcome anytime. Hope you get better soon. I can only imagine how frustrating that would be.

We still need to get this Marine betta to you. I have done nothing with my tank at all, and have no new additions of any kind.

Yes, the Marine betta has got a home whenever. If it wasn't for the crazy weather and my crazy Christmas schedule I would drive out there to see you in Brad Creek. Which reminds me I still have to get the powerhead I left at your place. This weekend I'm off to Edmonton, then the week after off for Christmas in B.C. Wanna meet up in the New Year?

Chad the Regal Angel is thriving but he has pretty much murdered every soft coral I had in my tank, and my toadstool are chewed to heck now too. My tank is slowly turning into a FOWLR, but I am okay with that. My fish need to swimming space.
I've had the full reef over the years and then I get a really cool fish that eats corals and I end up saying screw it to the reef. There is different aspects of the hobby for sure. Although I admire the reef tanks, I'm more for the fish. I've done the reef already for many years. I like fishy time! It's a small sacrifices I make to have the wonderful and unique species.

my2rotties
12-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Yes the New Year will work for me!!! That means I have an entire year to try to schedule something with you:wink: I was in the sump room last night and saw the power head sitting there, LOL!

I like the fish aspect much more as well. My Kenya trees won't grow because of Chad (the Regal angel) either, he has killed all my scolmias too... little bugger. My CBB is not being nice to the softies either! What can ya do? I tried fish whispering by holding up a feeding stick... it works but I get really sick of standing there looking like a nut job.:surprise:

I love my fish, they are so tame they swim in and out of my hands when I am feeding. That to me is the biggest reward in this hobby... they trust me. That is why when it come time for the betta to go home, YOU will be the person with the fish net:twised: The Bananaman even takes food out of my hand now, but we both scare each other since I am afraid he might clip me with those brutal teeth.

So get the clownfish suit and make a video...:mrgreen: You will be famous!I am so glad you took Griffie and love him for his "personality" and appreciate him like I did. I still can't believe he ate what he did... mind you it fit into his mouth. What a bone head.

Yes, you do! Your welcome anytime. Hope you get better soon. I can only imagine how frustrating that would be.

Yes, the Marine betta has got a home whenever. If it wasn't for the crazy weather and my crazy Christmas schedule I would drive out there to see you in Brad Creek. Which reminds me I still have to get the powerhead I left at your place. This weekend I'm off to Edmonton, then the week after off for Christmas in B.C. Wanna meet up in the New Year?

I've had the full reef over the years and then I get a really cool fish that eats corals and I end up saying screw it to the reef. There is different aspects of the hobby for sure. Although I admire the reef tanks, I'm more for the fish. I've done the reef already for many years. I like fishy time! It's a small sacrifices I make to have the wonderful and unique species.

my2rotties
12-14-2009, 02:53 AM
How's Griffie these days?

bulletsworld
12-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Stewie has been under the weather. He's been laying on the sand bed alot. Today he tried to eat but seems to not be able to chew. It does look like he cut his mouth a bit, most likely on the glass. I noticed he has slowed down quite a bit. However I think he's on the road to recovery, since he did manage to swallow some food this morning and showed interest in it. Stewie's tough stuff. I'm sure he will recover.

All the rest of my fish, except for Stewie have been removed from the main tank & housed in another tank until I completely do a few water changes and find all the broken glass and silver lead beads. I was away this weekend, so I will try the magnet idea on the lead beads and dive in later this evening.

my2rotties
12-14-2009, 07:47 PM
In all the time I have had him, he never once laid on the sand bed. I wish we could take him to the vet. Keep trying the peas to see if he might pass out whatever he might have ingested.

Also he LOVES big chunks of frozen mysis. Expensive treat but he would ALWAYS eat it. I would be hand feeding it to everyone else and he would come gulp it up out of my hands and I did not argue.

Keeping both fingers crossed.

Stewie has been under the weather. He's been laying on the sand bed alot. Today he tried to eat but seems to not be able to chew. It does look like he cut his mouth a bit, most likely on the glass. I noticed he has slowed down quite a bit. However I think he's on the road to recovery, since he did manage to swallow some food this morning and showed interest in it. Stewie's tough stuff. I'm sure he will recover.

All the fish, except for Stewie have been removed from the main tank & housed in another tank until I completely do a few water changes and find all the broken glass and silver tiny beads. I was away this weekend, so I will try the magnet idea after work.

hillegom
12-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Unfortunately lead is not attracted to a magnet. Only iron, (Fe) is. If those balls are lead, you will have to "find" them.

sphelps
12-14-2009, 08:55 PM
So has he eaten since the incident? If not you might want to consider my initial suggestion, it's not always easy to do the right thing but often very easy to do the wrong thing.

my2rotties
12-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Leeanne mentions that he has been eating, but his mouth could have injuries...

Griffie is a very large puffer and I have no idea of how someone would put this fish down. I don't even want to think about it yet... he is a tough fish and I am sure he will be fine.

So has he eaten since the incident? If not you might want to consider my initial suggestion, it's not always easy to do the right thing but often very easy to do the wrong thing.

sphelps
12-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Leeanne mentions that he has been eating, but his mouth could have injuries...

Griffie is a very large puffer and I have no idea of how someone would put this fish down. I don't even want to think about it yet... he is a tough fish and I am sure he will be fine.
I didn't see mention of it actually eating only trying to eat. You'd put the fish down by freezing it. Glass isn't like snail shells, it's much harder and when it shatters it can be extremely sharp. A person could easily eat and pass hard shells and many other objects but glass not so much. I've also kept puffers and they certainly are tough but rarely loose there appetite. IMO chances aren't good if it still hasn't eaten.

my2rotties
12-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Griffie has gone well over 10 days without eating when he ate snails he could not digest. If he was here with me, I would be hard pressed to put a giant puffer into a container and freeze him to death! This fish is more like a human being, or a house pet... to freeze him to death would be out of the question! I am sure I can speak for Leeanne on this as well. I know she will try the mysis when she sees to try it. If I did not live so far away, I would be down there like a shot.

I think it is too soon to do anything. I also recall being advised to feed him only once a week back when I got him. Give him a chance he will come through it, I know he will. I am very attached to this fish even though I don't have him anymore.

I didn't see mention of it actually eating only trying to eat. You'd put the fish down by freezing it. Glass isn't like snail shells, it's much harder and when it shatters it can be extremely sharp. A person could easily eat and pass hard shells and many other objects but glass not so much. I've also kept puffers and they certainly are tough but rarely loose there appetite. IMO chances aren't good if it still hasn't eaten.

sphelps
12-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Lets all hope for the best.

my2rotties
12-15-2009, 01:24 AM
It's all we can do...

Lets all hope for the best.

i have crabs
12-15-2009, 01:35 AM
freezing fish is a terrible idea if it actually came down to it clove oil is by far the best way to go, not that i want this to end up in that way

bulletsworld
12-16-2009, 07:11 AM

You might want to READ before you post. See
below for my past post:
he's on the road to recovery, since he did manage to swallow some food this morning and showed interest in it. Stewie's tough stuff. I'm sure he will recover.

bulletsworld
12-16-2009, 07:29 AM
You'd put the fish down by freezing it. Glass isn't like snail shells, it's much harder and when it shatters it can be extremely sharp. A person could easily eat and pass hard shells and many other objects but glass not so much. I've also kept puffers and they certainly are tough but rarely loose there appetite. IMO chances aren't good if it still hasn't eaten.

The fish is recovering and eating... End of story.

:shocked: WOW! I'd hate to be your fish!! You are QUICK to freeze a fish. I think you better go and do some research on how painful freezing is to a fish and how slow of a time it kills them. FYI - It's not uncommon for scale-less fish (puffers, boxfish, lionfish, etc) to stop eating for various reasons, especially after an injury occures. I have had porcupine puffers in the past not eat for up to two weeks and recover fully. Im not looking for or asking for feedback on what I should do with my injured puffer. However; I appreciate all the kind comments and support regardings Stewie's (A.k.a Griffies) recovery.

This post had gotten way off topic.

Now back on topic...The post is about personal experiance of having a glass, floating thermometer break in a tank and if they suffered any ill effects? How they removed the silver beads? Or did they?

Thanks a bunch :mrgreen:

bulletsworld
12-16-2009, 07:30 AM
freezing fish is a terrible idea if it actually came down to it clove oil is by far the best way to go, not that i want this to end up in that way

+ 1 :biggrin:

bulletsworld
12-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Unfortunately lead is not attracted to a magnet. Only iron, (Fe) is. If those balls are lead, you will have to "find" them.

I did try the magnet idea and you are CORRECT! It didn't work! The lead balls will NOT stick to the magnet. I just removed all the fish, parts of the sand bed, the best I could, running carbon and began a series of water changes.

The manufacter of these thermometers say that the very bottom of the tubes are made up of small parts of metal balls (to help sink) and lead balls.

Thank you for posting! :mrgreen:

sphelps
12-16-2009, 02:07 PM

:shocked: WOW! I'd hate to be your fish!! You are QUICK to freeze a fish. I think you better go and do some research on how painful freezing is to a fish and how slow of a time it kills them. FYI - It's not uncommon for scale-less fish (puffers, boxfish, lionfish, etc) to stop eating for various reasons, especially after an injury occures. I have had porcupine puffers in the past not eat for up to two weeks and recover fully. Im not looking for or asking for feedback on what I should do with my injured puffer. However; I appreciate all the kind comments and support regardings Stewie's (A.k.a Griffies) recovery.

Well obviously I missed that he was eating which is why I simply asked if he was. I don't see the need for the attitude, perhaps you should take your own advice before over reacting and making blunt and insulting assumptions. If a fish is sick and won't recover the humane thing to do is put it down, there are many ways to do this. I'm not pushing for anyone to kill there fish and I only made the suggestion based on the fish not eating which I clearly stated.

When someone becomes attached to a fish I see the situation the same as any other house pet in which case you wouldn't let it suffer and starve to death before making the right decision. This is the only reason I mentioned this option as it was clear the fish had many people that cared for it. If that makes me a terrible fish keeper or person in your books so be it.

Good luck with the fish, glad to hear he's eating.

bulletsworld
12-17-2009, 06:07 AM
Now back on topic...The post is about personal experiance of having a glass, floating thermometer break in a tank and if they suffered any ill effects? How they removed the silver beads? Or did they?

Thanks a bunch :mrgreen:

burrows14
12-17-2009, 06:16 AM

Good to hear:biggrin: My stewie is just a baby still but I changed my thermometer after reading this thread lol

bulletsworld
12-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Good to hear:biggrin: My stewie is just a baby still but I changed my thermometer after reading this thread lol

I'm glad to hear the post sent out awareness about the thermometers possibly breaking in a tank or in a fish mouth. I'm glad to hear your baby Stewie is going strong. I still get a kick out of us naming our puffies the exact same name! :lol: Porcupine puffers are soOoOo very adorable when they are just babies. They are sooOo curious too. Keep an eye on your little one. :biggrin:

Funky_Fish14
12-19-2009, 10:27 AM
If he was here with me, I would be hard pressed to put a giant puffer into a container and freeze him to death! This fish is more like a human being, or a house pet... to freeze him to death would be out of the question!

I would think it shouldn't matter what kind of animal it is... I would hope it wouldn't matter anyways. Im not saying freezing is right (it is infact inhumane), I just think the species or attachment level should be inconsequential in such a decision-making process.