PDA

View Full Version : Produce question

bvlester
12-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I don't know if this is in the right area move please if it needs to be moved. Anyways do you use PurpleUp and how do you find it working for you?
I am thinking of useing it and wondering if it works or for that matter even does anything.

Thank you,
Bill

sphelps
12-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I believe it's mostly just a calcium supplement with a few other additives like iodine which may or may not do anything. You should get equivalent results from using a simple two part dosing method which will maintain alk as well.

Myka
12-03-2009, 02:09 AM
What he ^ said. Imo, Purple Up is really just a glorified calcium supplement.

RuGlu6
12-03-2009, 02:17 AM
did NOT do anything in my case

tgoeujon
12-03-2009, 04:34 AM
i tried it faithfully for a year with no noticeable result, then i switched to a two part and it seems to have more noticeable results

Wright
12-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi could someone explain the two part dosing method , do i just add equal parts of calcuim and iodine to my tank.

Thanks

freezetyle
12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
A 2 part solution is basically a way to manage your calcium and dKH levels. i don't think many of them include Iodine. but in a lot of cases as long as your doing water changes with a good salt you should't have to worry about iodine. some of the veteran reefers may have found different but when i tried adding iodine to my tank i didn't really notice any change really

xtreme
12-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi could someone explain the two part dosing method , do i just add equal parts of calcuim and iodine to my tank.

Thanks

This is a good link on how to make your own two part and how to dose it.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

bvlester
12-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks guys I am using this produce started the end of last week and it has made a difference in that when I was using Kent liquid calcium I didn't see any extra coralline growth but after using purple up for a while I have found that there is coralline growing in quit a few new spots. But, the big difference is in the old growth wow is it looking nice and bright and on the rear glass there is alot of purple spots showing. This could be in part because I added another power head. Kent cal did nothing for my tank but cost me money this was cheaper per OZ and it is a larger bottle. Just my opinion and it seems to be doing some thing in the way of new growth.

I just wanted people’s opinion on the produce nothing else, not a lecture of how I am wasting my money or some thing like that. I have seen it no here before, and I have had it happen before. Remember no one knows how much some one has payed for a product, when giving a opion about a product money is not the factor unless it is asked about. The product and how it worked for you is what matters.

If you are interested in what I did I used the recomded dose every 2 days. I know everyones tank is a little bit different and one product may not work for the next person.
The bottle says it has ionic liquid calcuem, crushed cal 10micron, strontium, magnesium, carbonate and iodine.
Bill

Myka
12-04-2009, 01:27 AM
I just wanted people’s opinion on the produce nothing else, not a lecture of how I am wasting my money or some thing like that. I have seen it no here before, and I have had it happen before. Remember no one knows how much some one has payed for a product, when giving a opion about a product money is not the factor unless it is asked about. The product and how it worked for you is what matters.

Bill

Bill, I don't see anywhere in this thread where someone gave you a "lecture" at all. Pretty simple, straight forward answers. No one mentioned it being a waste of money. However, when giving reviews it is perfectly acceptable for someone's opinion to be that a product is a waste of money...you are asking for their opinion after all. There are lots of reasons why Purple Up may have worked for you, and it may even be the product itself (or coincidence, etc). Cheers!

Btw, it is often the case that low alkalinity is a limiting factor in coralline growth. Purple Up would provide that for you to a certain extent. Are you testing calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium?

Canadian
12-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Bill, I don't see anywhere in this thread where someone gave you a "lecture" at all. Pretty simple, straight forward answers. No one mentioned it being a waste of money. However, when giving reviews it is perfectly acceptable for someone's opinion to be that a product is a waste of money...you are asking for their opinion after all. There are lots of reasons why Purple Up may have worked for you, and it may even be the product itself (or coincidence, etc). Cheers!

Btw, it is often the case that low alkalinity is a limiting factor in coralline growth. Purple Up would provide that for you to a certain extent. Are you testing calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium?

+1

Someone's a touch sensitive.

TrailFish
12-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Ditto, don't take offense. This hobby engenders strong opinions.

In my experience basic good calcium/alkalinity will promote coraline algae. If if makes sense for you to add it through Purple Up, do as you see fit. I read awhile back that strontium may be a limiting factor in coraline growth and perhaps "Purple Up" supplements this as well. When I first started out (8+ years ago) I was worried I wasn't getting enough coraline growth and I was adding a strontium supplement. A few years later (well after I stopped adding strontium, but after installing a calcium reactor) It was hard to keep with the required scrapping of coraline on the viewing panes.

Happy Reefing.

bvlester
12-04-2009, 06:07 AM

not in this thread on one other and was not a lecture about a product I had bought at the time I aked about 1 product i was looking and and others and I got a lecture about the product I was looking at and I didn't pay retail for it as I bought it before the guy decided to lecture me.

So I asked a question a bout a product that I am using and clarified that after and why I realy do not see a problem with that. I was just trying to get honst opinion if that is not aceptable on here then I will not do it again.

Bill

bvlester
12-04-2009, 06:31 AM
well sorry guys purple up dose add other stuff to the water I do believe it maybe a bit of a coinidence also. everyones tank is a bit different I did say that. Here one of the insidences asked a question about HOB skimmers the one I had been looking at was a aqua medic T1000 I ask which skimmers are better no monies mentchened no one responded and I believe I posted that I bought an aqua medic T1000 multi. THe next thing I see is sone one blasting me for spending $27?.00 or something like that on that skimmer when I could have bought one that was better. well at the time I was limited to what I could use as my sump was not finished as I didn't have glass to make the baffels. So I had to buy a HOB by the way I payed 70 US including shipping. and It is now in my sump when I moved it and cleaned it I lost one of the plastic flex washers and didn't notice. It was not working any where near the way it was in the tank so I investigated the issue when cleaning and figured there should be 2 of these plastic flex washers. phoned aqua medic $4.00 or so and they payed to ship 2 of the washers. These Protien skimmers are german engineered but they opened a factory in the southern US. They have been making protien skimmers for years and way back when if you had there stuff you had top of the line equipment. That is why I bought the skimmer as no one replied to a post and when they did ..well you know the rest. I am not saying they are the best but I went with what I know and It work realy good takes out dark almost black smelly skim. I have seen people on here and other boards lecture others. I know I am lecturing you guys and I am sorry. Maybe I had a bad day I don't know. I just don't know if people are asked for an opinion why someone has to jump in and lecture them.

anyways thanks for the info and the discresion guys. and have a good night.
Bill

the marine apprentice
12-04-2009, 08:57 AM
when i first started my saltwater tank back last january the dude at the lfs told me to use purple up, so i did, and i got amazing results with it, a few months ago i stopped using it because it drives your calcium out the roof and i wanted to start having nice coral in my tank. when i was doseing it i only had some xyena, some gsp, and a colt coral, and they seemed to thrive in the conditions. but then i tried some lps and sps and it didnt do anything. but my rock is pretty damn purple though.
so i think it is all personal prefferance if ya want to use it or not. i stopped using it on my 90g, but i might use it on my cube which is gonna be softies only,

Canadian
12-04-2009, 10:11 AM
well sorry guys purple up dose add other stuff to the water I do believe it maybe a bit of a coinidence also. everyones tank is a bit different I did say that. Here one of the insidences asked a question about HOB skimmers the one I had been looking at was a aqua medic T1000 I ask which skimmers are better no monies mentchened no one responded and I believe I posted that I bought an aqua medic T1000 multi. THe next thing I see is sone one blasting me for spending $27?.00 or something like that on that skimmer when I could have bought one that was better. well at the time I was limited to what I could use as my sump was not finished as I didn't have glass to make the baffels. So I had to buy a HOB by the way I payed 70 US including shipping. and It is now in my sump when I moved it and cleaned it I lost one of the plastic flex washers and didn't notice. It was not working any where near the way it was in the tank so I investigated the issue when cleaning and figured there should be 2 of these plastic flex washers. phoned aqua medic $4.00 or so and they payed to ship 2 of the washers. These Protien skimmers are german engineered but they opened a factory in the southern US. They have been making protien skimmers for years and way back when if you had there stuff you had top of the line equipment. That is why I bought the skimmer as no one replied to a post and when they did ..well you know the rest. I am not saying they are the best but I went with what I know and It work realy good takes out dark almost black smelly skim. I have seen people on here and other boards lecture others. I know I am lecturing you guys and I am sorry. Maybe I had a bad day I don't know. I just don't know if people are asked for an opinion why someone has to jump in and lecture them.

anyways thanks for the info and the discresion guys. and have a good night.
Bill

Again, I'm shocked by your hypersensitivity here. I don't see how you were "lectured" until you actually complained about being "lectured".

Two things:

1) I don't understand why you're asking for people's opinions on a product that you've already bought and have apparently already formed a favourable opinion of. What's the point? You like the product. Do you need someone to validate your opinion? If you think it was a worthwhile purchase then good for you - carry on with life.

2) If you ask for people's opinions about a product don't be surprised if they respond with unfavourable reviews. Oftentimes product opinions are centred on their perceived value. For example you'll hear people say things like BK skimmers are nice but aren't worth the money. That's their opinion. People are entitled to them. Sometimes they may not be the best informed opinions but such is life.

bvlester
12-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Two things:

1) I don't understand why you're asking for people's opinions on a product that you've already bought and have apparently already formed a favourable opinion of. What's the point? You like the product. Do you need someone to validate your opinion? If you think it was a worthwhile purchase then good for you - carry on with life.

2) If you ask for people's opinions about a product don't be surprised if they respond with unfavourable reviews. Oftentimes product opinions are centred on their perceived value. For example you'll hear people say things like BK skimmers are nice but aren't worth the money. That's their opinion. People are entitled to them. Sometimes they may not be the best informed opinions but such is life.[/QUOTE]

1) I was just wondering if it was just coincidence and that I was wasting my money. I wanted o try it as nothing was happening with the Kent product. these products are all mass produced and one batch of calcume may have more or less in it. Or maybe it just takes along time for coriline to grow in a newer tank. I have been out of saltwater for quite a while and my memory is not what it once was.

2) I exspect peoples opinions to very and some to be a bit on the intence side. But I don't exspect people to lecure some one else. and once again as I said before no-one lectured me before I posted the one post clarifying that I was useing the produce and why. That is all.

there is not offence taken. I some times get things tied up when explaining them and go in a circle and I am sorry for that.

bye for now,
Bill