PDA

View Full Version : in-wall tank people, need help

christyf5
11-09-2009, 04:37 PM
ok yet another question!

So I'm currently waffling over the whole recessed/flush mount in the wall. So mounting it flush with the viewing wall would require some bulking up of the wall to hold some of the weight.

I wanted to build the stand to the same dimensions of the tank, yet offset the tank forward to make up for the width of the wall (theres a lip of concrete on the floor that is the width of the wall). So behind the tank the stand would stick out a few inches so I could set stuff on it or possibly stand on it if needed (yay/nay?).

Now because the tank won't be supported completely by the posts at the back (since it will be set forward) do I need to shore up the sides of the stand with extra upright posts?

Is it just miles easier to do a recessed wall tank? I mean after all its only a few inches :razz:

Lance
11-09-2009, 05:02 PM
ok yet another question!

So I'm currently waffling over the whole recessed/flush mount in the wall. So mounting it flush with the viewing wall would require some bulking up of the wall to hold some of the weight.

I wanted to build the stand to the same dimensions of the tank, yet offset the tank forward to make up for the width of the wall (theres a lip of concrete on the floor that is the width of the wall). So behind the tank the stand would stick out a few inches so I could set stuff on it or possibly stand on it if needed (yay/nay?).

Now because the tank won't be supported completely by the posts at the back (since it will be set forward) do I need to shore up the sides of the stand with extra upright posts?

Is it just miles easier to do a recessed wall tank? I mean after all its only a few inches :razz:

The exposed part of the stand at the back is a great idea. (It will be at least 6" wide, as the wall is 2x6. The stand, if built properly will be plenty strong, you won't need extra posts.

untamed
11-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I really like the idea of having the stand stick out a bit into the back room so that you can stand on the edge. I have this on my tank and wish that I had actually made the edge larger (mine is only 6"...8" might be better/easier to stand on). The fact that the stand sticks out and creates a catwalk on the backside makes some of the plumbing more difficult, but it is worth it. I use mine every day. In fact, the bar out front really came to be because I wanted a catwalk on the frontside as well.

Is there no way you can remove the front wall and just build the stand so that it is flush with the wall? Basically, the stand itself would become the wall under the tank. This would create a bit more space under the stand as well.

You mention some sort of concrete lip on the floor...just build the stand right over top of the lip. The vertical beams of the stand at the front would push weight down onto the top of this concrete lip, while the back of the stand would push weight down onto the floor directly.

If the stand is larger than the tank to produce that catwalk on the backside, you don't need any extra beefing up of the sides. You just need to ensure that the stand floor (or roof) is firm. In my case, the top of the stand is 2x6's on edge set about 1 foot apart. Those distribute the load to all sides of the stand. These can easily carry the weight shifted 8" or so from the edges...or just the back edge in this case.

You can see the 2x6 floor on top of the stand in the pics below. It is basically two parts: 2x4 walls...and a 2x6 (on edge) floor that sits (attached by large screws) on top of the 2x4 walls. A structure like this would support the weight even if the stand were considerably larger than the tank itself....just like how your sofa doesn't fall through your upstairs floor just because it is the middle of the room.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/untamed_photos/Aquarium%20Construction/100_0226.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/untamed_photos/Aquarium%20Construction/100_0227.jpg

workn2hard2day
11-09-2009, 05:21 PM
So I'm currently waffling over the whole recessed/flush mount in the wall. If you are still waffling, start cleaning your front glass/tank backwards for a few weeks. :biggrin:

Mrfish55
11-09-2009, 05:24 PM
If you look thru my build thread http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55914&highlight=750 you can see how I did mine, basically a platform, one end sits in the opening on a short wall and the other supported by legs (I have another short wall in the middle of mine but you will not need that) This way once trimmed out the tanks is very close to flush with the wall.

Dez
11-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I love having the tank flush with the wall. I had the builder beef up the wall that the tank is resting on. It's even finished with drywall, so my tank is resting on foam/plywood/drywall/studs only on the wall portion of it. No matter what you do, make sure you have access in the front. I've talked to so many people that have no access in the front and it proves to be a pain.

sphelps
11-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Can't you you just cantilever part of the stand into the wall so the tank is flush and yet the stand is not part of the wall?? If you build your stand properly there is no reason why the edge of the tank has to line up with the support.

lastlight
11-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Yeah when the top from for the tank is built...whether it's 2x4 or 2x6 you're having some hang off the back to stand on. Have it hang over the front a bit too. The tank can definitely hang over a bit. See it all the time with metal stands but it should work here too. You can always toss a few 2x4 studs under the overhang bit.

apexi
11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
IMHO, mounting the tank flush with the wall with some trimming makes for a nice finished look. That's the way I did it, flush with the drywall, and casing on one side to create a "picture frame" look from one side, and custom cabinetry on the other side.

Delphinus
11-09-2009, 10:32 PM
+1 on the flush trim

lastlight
11-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Not to hijack but Apexi...that install is incredible! You need a build thread here!

StirCrazy
11-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Christy, if you took out all the studs under the header what is hard about building the front edge of the stand as part of the lower wall? all it means is you build you stand in place and you individualy cut the studs to the proper size to keep everything level, only adds about 1/2 a hour to the rough framming of the stand at most. then you make it so you tank will rest on the studs, so when you put your drywalkl up the tank will be recessed 1/2". then you can get some nice moulding and wrap this 1/2" and onto the wall which will give you a nice finnished look.

I wouldn't even concider not building it into the wall as IMHO a inwall tank should look like a picture on the wall.

Steve

christyf5
11-10-2009, 03:06 PM
yeah its not difficult, I just don't want the stand to be part of the wall. That way if we ever move again, it will be easy to take apart and I won't have to rebuild the stand.

Not rocket science, I just wondered about the tank being offset on the stand mostly :biggrin:

Delphinus
11-10-2009, 03:15 PM
I had the same consideration with mine. The way I look at it, the drywall is attached to the stand. If I move, I can take the tank and stand with me, and I'll have to re-2x4 the hole left by the stand and tank removal, and slap a new piece of drywall up over that. However, if I moved and decided to take the tank with me, I'd have to re-2x4 the hole anyhow where the tank was, so it's not really any more work. Speaking as someone with a slight modicum of authority in the topic of "things that will slow down a tank build", in the grand scheme of things some 2x4's and a piece of drywall are among the least of your worries. :p If I was in your position, I'd make the tank glass flush with the wall. It looks WAY better this way (like Steve said it should be like a picture). :mrgreenn:

christyf5
11-10-2009, 03:17 PM
yeah I think I'm gonna go flush with the wall. I just like the look better :biggrin:

Pescador
11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
The only reason I wish I would have recessed my tank further in the wall or left more room on the sides, is that 4" strip on the sides where the wall is that you can't reach with the magnetic scrapers.
It's a pain for me to clean those two spots with the long handle scraper.
With the oak trim recessed like a window sill it's also nice to have the ledge in front.