PDA

View Full Version : Christy's 180 build

Pages : [1] 2 3

christyf5
11-07-2009, 10:27 PM
FINALLY!

So I've had this tank for almost a year now, drove out to Red Deer to get it last December, then put it in storage for awhile, then moved it to the new house where its been sitting on the floor. I've also collected a few other tanks for sump and such, along the way all hanging out in the basement. Its pretty busy down there. Finally today my husband decided it was time to get started (plus I mentioned that I was thinking about asking my Dad to come over and help me do it, nothing spurs a guy on like telling them you'll get your Dad to do it :razz:).

So heres where the tank will be going, its going to be in wall with the display part here:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7496.jpg

And the backside of that wall, yup its loadbearing and I'm seeing this is likely going to slow us down as my husband, Matt, is rather leery of approaching this part:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7497.jpg

A strategically placed shelf hid the fact that two of the posts were almost cut cleanly through, lucky they had the idea to just slap on a piece of wood to help out :rolleyes:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/Img_7498a.jpg

It was just wood paneling so it came off pretty easy except for one chunk and the heating ducts were removed. Its amazing how poorly some work is done in houses. Some parts were screwed together, some not. And no duct tape was used (Mike Holmes would be appalled! :wink:).

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7502.jpg

After that it was fun times with electrical so being massively electrically uninclined, I tackled the tank. It had a painted on background that I've decided I don't want. I'd rather see through the tank and then I can affix a removable background so I can see in the tank when I'm working on it from the back as well as the front.

Tank before:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7500.jpg

Tank after:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7504.jpg

Thats a lot of paint!
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7503.jpg

Then everything came to a grinding halt as the F word was muttered repeatedly and progressively louder. Turns out it was the result of this:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7516.jpg

As you can see, it clearly doesn't fit the box. Well duh, anyone could see that before you hooked all the wires to it. I think we'll blame that on Matt coming down with a cold.

Anyhoo, I'm pleased that we got this far. Progress!!:mrgreen:

Tom R
11-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I can't believe that you have waited this long to get started.

Oh well I guess there is more to life than our Aquariums.

Good luck

I will be following along so keep us up to date.

Tom R

hillegom
11-07-2009, 10:49 PM
one step at a time. The plan is looking good. How big of a header will you be installing?

Delphinus
11-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Mmm, demolition. :) Best part of a reno project!!!

christyf5
11-07-2009, 10:54 PM
I can't believe that you have waited this long to get started.

Oh well I guess there is more to life than our Aquariums.

Good luck

I will be following along so keep us up to date.

Tom R

Me neither!! Although when it came to light that it was a load bearing wall, it wasn't like I could just go at it with the sledgehammer like I had hoped to do. Otherwise this would have been done long ago :razz:

christyf5
11-07-2009, 10:55 PM
one step at a time. The plan is looking good. How big of a header will you be installing?

I have no idea. I know what you're talking about but yeah, thats about it. Um a big one? :razz:

Jason McK
11-07-2009, 10:59 PM
YAHHHH Finally. Looks like a great start

J

JDigital
11-07-2009, 11:04 PM
WHOOOOO!!!!... I can't wait to have my own place where I can tear out walls for a tanks...

Look forward to following this build.. Do you have an estimated time of "completion"... aka saltwater/cycle?

christyf5
11-07-2009, 11:16 PM
WHOOOOO!!!!... I can't wait to have my own place where I can tear out walls for a tanks...

Look forward to following this build.. Do you have an estimated time of "completion"... aka saltwater/cycle?

Yes I do, it was September 2009 :razz:

Frankly I think I'll be lucky if I have it up on a stand by December but you never know. We're redoing our kitchen (ordered from Ikea) and as soon as that gets here I think it likely takes priority.

As soon as I can get that hole in the wall I'm good to go, I can build the stand myself and have some people over for a tank lifting party. Its basically just been that damn hole in the wall that has been holding everything up so far.

Skimmerking
11-07-2009, 11:26 PM
lets go young lady you have some nerve just posting that now. but you may beat some one else who has a bigger one :lol::lol::lol:

JDigital
11-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Its basically just been that damn hole in the wall that has been holding everything up so far.

Well considering those vertical supports were basically cut through anyways, and the house hasn't fallen yet, you should be good to go! :mrgreen:

michika
11-08-2009, 12:11 AM
I was hoping this was coming giving your FB status today!

Your puppy looks like she/he? is feeling neglected, checking out the action in hopes of getting some lovin'.

cprowler
11-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Very cool!

For me the best part of a in-wall is the fish room behind, very jealous.

I like your idea for the removable background.

Looking forward to following this one

Lance
11-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Nice start Christy. Looks to be a real nice set up................................... (Wish I had a fish room :sad:)

lastlight
11-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Will this be viewable front and side? or just front? Can't wait to see more. I love tearing stuff up but at first it can be daunting.

christyf5
11-08-2009, 02:05 AM
I was hoping this was coming giving your FB status today!

Your puppy looks like she/he? is feeling neglected, checking out the action in hopes of getting some lovin'.

He's a boy (Barney) and yes he was right in there wondering what was going on and why he wasn't the center of attention, as usual. Then he got a tennis ball and was happy for the five minutes it took him to rip it to shreds (usually its 30 seconds but he was inside the house and knows not to make a mess, but since nobody was looking.... :wink:)

christyf5
11-08-2009, 02:09 AM
Will this be viewable front and side? or just front? Can't wait to see more. I love tearing stuff up but at first it can be daunting.

Well in an ideal world I would have reset the door back two feet so that the tank was still in that wall but the side was viewable to the room as well. However, I don't live in an ideal world and Matt isn't interested in the extra work (plus it would look kind of silly in the fish room having a door set back two feet into it). Anyway, the side will be viewable inside the fish room and that was the best I could do. The far side with the overflow will be pretty much up against the wall so no viewing there.

I think the reason its taken so long was simply that, it was daunting and Matt was worried about how to put new headers in as he doesn't want to leave 6 feet of that floor upstairs unsupported while he does it. I still don't know whether he is going to use teleposts or what, he mutters about it every once in awhile, but who knows.

christyf5
11-08-2009, 02:42 AM

I was just informed 2x10s. Then something about there being two and some 3/4 inch plywood because the other posts are 2x6's and they have to be equivalent in width when all is said and done or some junk :razz:

Mrfish55
11-08-2009, 02:48 AM
Great start, are you comming for the tour tomorrow? you should bring your husband, we can chat about the renos, I'm no expert but I have done 2 inwall installs now and almost have all the little things figured out that will make life easy. Looking forward to the progress.

christyf5
11-08-2009, 03:56 AM
Yep I'll be there tomorrow :biggrin: My husband isn't coming, I think he plans on spending some quality time with the couch :razz: but I'd love to hear any tips/tricks you have to give on in-wall builds.

new but handy
11-08-2009, 04:20 AM
evening
I will draw up a picture tommorow to show you what a header is, how to support everything and everything you need to know if you would like.
you don't need any 3/4" plywood. if the opening is to be about 6' I would use a 3 ply 2x10 header. 2 ply is probably enough but I don't know what is above.
I have been a builder for 16 years. I actually just built the new retirement home in Naniamo right above the firehouse bar. (good sushi):mrgreen:

christyf5
11-08-2009, 04:36 AM
Hey, thanks. I had my husband explain some of it tonight. He said that he was going to go with 3 2x6s which had a certain width and because the 3 2x10s had a different width when put together that for some reason both sets of 3 had to be the same width?

I think he knows what he's doing, its just me that doesn't :razz:

hillegom
11-08-2009, 04:44 AM
I am not an engineer, but I think 2- 2x10s will hold more weight than 3- 2x6s
Its the depth of beams that hold more weight. I am sure someone here will enlighten.

christyf5
11-08-2009, 02:33 PM
um ok, so it was explained to me like this. Currently there are 2x6's running vertically (ie. holding up the floor). To beef up support on either side of "the hole" my hubby is going to put 3-2x6's. Then for the actual header part (or what I think of as the header, which is the horizontal part) he is going to use 3-2x10s).

Does that make more sense? You guys are probably better off waiting for the photos to see what I mean, I'm sure my crappy explanations are just creating more questions rather than answers :razz:

fishytime
11-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Makes perfect sense to me(Im a carpenter).....gonna be sweet when its done looking forward to this build....is this the tank the euro-reef is for, or are you already using it?

Lance
11-08-2009, 02:50 PM
um ok, so it was explained to me like this. Currently there are 2x6's running vertically (ie. holding up the floor). To beef up support on either side of "the hole" my hubby is going to put 3-2x6's. Then for the actual header part (or what I think of as the header, which is the horizontal part) he is going to use 3-2x10s).

Does that make more sense? You guys are probably better off waiting for the photos to see what I mean, I'm sure my crappy explanations are just creating more questions rather than answers :razz:

It makes perfect sense. The wall has 2x6 studs and the new header will be 3x2x10's.

lastlight
11-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm lost. The tank's a wood build now? 2x6 panels with starphire 2x4 viewing panes?

christyf5
11-08-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm lost. The tank's a wood build now? 2x6 panels with starphire 2x4 viewing panes?

of course, sheesh that was what I was trying to say all along! wasn't I clear enough :razz:

christyf5
11-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Makes perfect sense to me(Im a carpenter).....gonna be sweet when its done looking forward to this build....is this the tank the euro-reef is for, or are you already using it?

yeah for the new tank, I'd be using it already but it wouldn't fit in my sump cabinet. No sump cabinet on the new tank so we're golden!:biggrin:

cprowler
11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
What euro-reef do you have?

christyf5
11-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Currently I'm running an CS6-2, on the new tank I'll be running a RS-250:biggrin:

cprowler
11-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Cool, good to see your staying in the Euro-Reef club. :thumb:

christyf5
11-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Cool, good to see your staying in the Euro-Reef club. :thumb:

Yeah, I must say, I'm a pretty big Euro-Reef fan :love:

cprowler
11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah me too, you should see the size of me. :lol:

hillegom
11-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Hey, thanks. I had my husband explain some of it tonight. He said that he was going to go with 3 2x6s which had a certain width and because the 3 2x10s had a different width when put together that for some reason both sets of 3 had to be the same width?

I think he knows what he's doing, its just me that doesn't :razz:

Sorry, when I read this I thought the 2x6s were going horizontal. They are actually going vertical, so now I understand perfectly as well:biggrin:

christyf5
11-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Yes sadly my lack of knowledge of construction terms can be ineffective at times. Yhe word I was looking for at the time was "stud" but it escaped me (besides, at that time I still don't think I knew what was going on let alone what I was talking about :razz:)

christyf5
11-09-2009, 02:40 AM
BC Ferries ruined my reef meeting today, but the day wasn't all lost. Got some more progress on the fishroom!

Ok so we got the teleposts up to support the ceiling while we ripped out the guts of the load bearing wall. (my husband loves making faces for the camera)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/Img_7517a.jpg

Backside of the wall (the actual fish room)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/Img_7518a.jpg

Matt had a good ole time with the sledgehammer :razz:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/Img_7519a.jpg

Open sesame!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/Img_7521a.jpg

Shoring up the studs (the 2x6 part :wink:)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/Img_7525a.jpg

Getting the header in (the 2x10 part :wink:)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/Img_7530a.jpg

Tada!!! And the ceiling didn't even fall in! :razz:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/Img_7531a.jpg

Skimmerking
11-09-2009, 02:42 AM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

HEADER's i like it I like It

cprowler
11-09-2009, 03:54 AM
Cool...you must be get'n excited.

christyf5
11-09-2009, 04:51 AM
yeah I am, we've got most of the plans for the stand firmed up. I may actually get it on the stand next weekend!!!

Mrfish55
11-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Now thats a way to start a build, case of Vodka and start smashing down walls :thumb:
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/Img_7530a.jpg

christyf5
11-09-2009, 04:55 AM
LOL, I wondered when someone would point that out. Theres even more booze in the first photo! :wink:

Dez
11-09-2009, 05:12 AM
I had originally planned on actually making the viewing pane smaller so that I wouldn't see various powerheads and the wavebox but eventually scrapped that as it would just make the viewing pane smaller than I'd like. One day if I do a custom tank I'll plan it better for that sort of thing. For now I need to experience the entire 6x2 fee

Hi Christy,

Have you considered an external wavebox? All it requires is ONE hole drilled, and a DIY glass box siliconed on the outside of the tank. I am SOOOO glad that I did it as I hate having visible pumps, pipes, boxes etc inside my tank. It is so worth it to do it since you don't even have the stand built yet and you can take your time on the build. Are you going with a closed loop?

GREAT start on the build! Is the tank going to be flush with the wall or will you be able to see a ledge around?

Another option to hide the wavebox is to go with the same Ikea mirror that I went with on my 5 x 2 x 2 tank and it would cover 6" on either side of the tank and still allow access at the top. This way any pumps on the side of the tank wouldn't be visible. You'd just have to put the wavebox toward the front pane and the pumps toward the pump. This would still allow you to see the deep corners.

Just some thoughts and ideas while you have the tank empty :)

lastlight
11-09-2009, 06:34 AM
The tough part is DONE. It's all fun and games from here congrats!

christyf5
11-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi Christy,

Have you considered an external wavebox? All it requires is ONE hole drilled, and a DIY glass box siliconed on the outside of the tank. I am SOOOO glad that I did it as I hate having visible pumps, pipes, boxes etc inside my tank. It is so worth it to do it since you don't even have the stand built yet and you can take your time on the build. Are you going with a closed loop?

GREAT start on the build! Is the tank going to be flush with the wall or will you be able to see a ledge around?

Another option to hide the wavebox is to go with the same Ikea mirror that I went with on my 5 x 2 x 2 tank and it would cover 6" on either side of the tank and still allow access at the top. This way any pumps on the side of the tank wouldn't be visible. You'd just have to put the wavebox toward the front pane and the pumps toward the pump. This would still allow you to see the deep corners.

Just some thoughts and ideas while you have the tank empty :)

I did consider the external wavebox however, that would have to be a custom deal as I don't trust my own work and the tank is already assembled and ready to go. At this point if they broke the tank drilling it I would be SOL as I don't have the money to buy a new one (those days are long over sadly, hello mortgage payments!).

As well, I will be going with the same style of framing you have as I think it looks damned fine and I love the idea of being able to take the top of the frame off for access into the tank. However, I'll be doing my own thing as I've lusted after a full 6 feet for so long, there is no freaking way I'll be hiding 6" on either side...thats a whole foot!!! :razz:

I'm still working on the whole flush/recessed mount. Mostly we're trying to figureo out how the stand will work if we do go with a flush mount. So the wall will have to be beefed up, however I don't really want the stand as part of the wall and my husband is convinced that offsetting the tank on the stand will create new pressure points that won't be supported. Beats me, I just said it would be fine but he isn't convinced :wink:

Lance
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Good Start! I'm loving the size of your fish room (wish I had a fish room :cry:)
Regarding the removable back for the tank: Did you see Dave's black curtain set-up the last time you were over? It works slick as hell.

Chaloupa
11-09-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm so very jealous!!! Look at the size of that fishroom!!!! *sigh* NICELY done! Can't wait to see it.

And I gotta say I'm part of the Euro-reef loving club too. Christy picked me up a new RS250 also around when she got hers and it rocks. I love it and man does it stink!

lastlight
11-09-2009, 04:19 PM
There are very few instances in life when something stinking is a sign of quality and performance. Gotta love this hobby!

christyf5
11-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Good Start! I'm loving the size of your fish room (wish I had a fish room :cry:)
Regarding the removable back for the tank: Did you see Dave's black curtain set-up the last time you were over? It works slick as hell.

Yeah, thats where I got the idea from :wink:

PoonTang
11-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Good job so far Christy. Keep it up.

christyf5
11-11-2009, 03:44 AM
Took the trim off the tank tonight. Man, it ain't pretty underneath, guess thats why they covered it up with trim :razz: Oh well, once its in the wall nobody will notice anyways...for the most part.

Oh and the next time you see a "wow I'm upgrading with a used tank!" post from me please send me a virtual kick in the head. I was assured that this tank had "just one minor scratch that you really have to look for". I think the fish must have played kickball with the rocks up against the front glass, there are some major scratches and not just a few of them, some are widely highlighted by green algae. However when I went to pick up the tank it had already been drained and sitting for awhile. I think the back of the tank has less scratches than the front :sad:

Delphinus
11-11-2009, 04:05 AM
Might not be too bad once there's water in there. Worst case scenario, if it's just the bottom, hope to heck that DSB's/plenums come back in style and just bury the scratches. Garden eel tank anyone???

christyf5
11-11-2009, 04:07 AM
Might not be too bad once there's water in there. Worst case scenario, if it's just the bottom, hope to heck that DSB's/plenums come back in style and just bury the scratches. Garden eel tank anyone???

:rofl: yeah maybe if I put a 8" sandbed in there nobody will notice :razz:

yeah you never know, if I can keep the scratches clean maybe they'll be okay.

Delphinus
11-11-2009, 04:07 AM
Or or or .. !!! Take a page from lastlight's "things I'd do different if I did it again" and cover the bottom few inches with trim or similar (tiles?) so that the glass is covered but you can still see over the lip and then the bottom. Might help with that whole BB tank look too. .. ?

christyf5
11-11-2009, 04:08 AM
Or or or .. !!! Take a page from lastlight's "things I'd do different if I did it again" and cover the bottom few inches with trim or similar (tiles?) so that the glass is covered but you can still see over the lip and then the bottom. Might help with that whole BB tank look too. .. ?

I'd have to cover like the bottom 8" :razz:

Maybe I'll just pretend I have a child in the house and cover them with fish stickers or something :razz:

lastlight
11-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Not the greatest news but I think if you're diligent with cleaning the glass it won't be too noticeable. This also isn't your last tank so don't sweat it =)

christyf5
11-11-2009, 04:44 AM
Well Tony suggested turning it around so that the backside becomes the front. Then I just hide the overflow with drywall, put the wavebox behind it et voila! I don't get to experience the full 6 feet which blows but my god I HATE scratches in the glass, one of my biggest pet peeves.

I'm seriously thinking about doing this. Gonna go inspect both sides tomorrow.

Lance
11-11-2009, 05:00 AM
Maybe try filling the tank with enough water to cover the scratches and see how bad they are before you make up your mind as to what to do.

christyf5
11-11-2009, 02:28 PM
yeah theres a fair bit of crap still left on the glass so i'll go at it with the vinegar tonight and put a bit of water in to see how it looks.

JDigital
11-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Well Tony suggested turning it around so that the backside becomes the front. Then I just hide the overflow with drywall, put the wavebox behind it et voila! I don't get to experience the full 6 feet which blows but my god I HATE scratches in the glass, one of my biggest pet peeves.

I'm seriously thinking about doing this. Gonna go inspect both sides tomorrow.

I remember a build thread somewhere on RC where someone did that. Covered the front ends of the tank with the wall, gave quite a cool effect when looking in as it looks wider than in appears at first glance.. If you know what I mean... I'll try and find it (like a needle in a hay stack)

christyf5
11-11-2009, 11:37 PM
I remember a build thread somewhere on RC where someone did that. Covered the front ends of the tank with the wall, gave quite a cool effect when looking in as it looks wider than in appears at first glance.. If you know what I mean... I'll try and find it (like a needle in a hay stack)

Ooh that would be cool :cool:

christyf5
11-11-2009, 11:39 PM
So today I came home from work, to this:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7534.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7535.jpg

Wheeee!!!!!:Banane03:

Lance
11-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Excellent!
Husbands sure are special aren't they?........................... I tell my wife this all the time.

lastlight
11-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Haha too true. We almost deserve merit badges for some of the things we do. That's looking great!

Jason McK
11-12-2009, 12:47 AM
WOW Congrate Matt Looks Great ;)

J

Borderjumper
11-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Wow.. Matts gonna get sum tonight!:wink:

christyf5
11-12-2009, 04:33 PM
So I've been working on this for the last half hour. Somehow I thought the plumbing would be more complex and I needed to ask you guys your opinions. Turns out its pretty simple but I'm posting my fantastic art anyways.

Yeah MS Paint! :razz:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/tankplumbing.jpg

Jason McK
11-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Ya it's fairly straight forward. You could be like me and over complicate it to the point of ridiculousness, but that usually doesn't work well :)

Do you need all 3600GPH from the Dart? If not you could build a manifold like CProwler to drive Phosban reactors, CA Reactors, Skimmer or what ever

http://www.zld.ca/reef/IMG_0062.JPG

Delphinus
11-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I would move the beefier union to the inlet side of the Dart. Plus I like how you have stepped up the pipe diameter from the sump to the pump inlet. Clever thinking!

You may wish to find a smaller Wavysea though. That thing is taking up WAY too much space in your display!

christyf5
11-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Ya it's fairly straight forward. You could be like me and over complicate it to the point of ridiculousness, but that usually doesn't work well :)

Do you need all 3600GPH from the Dart? If not you could build a manifold like CProwler to drive Phosban reactors, CA Reactors, Skimmer or what ever

http://www.zld.ca/reef/IMG_0062.JPG

Well I don't have 17 holes in my tank, just the one :razz:

No I don't need all the gph from the dart, I just figured what with the 20km of pipe from the dart to the tank I wouldn't end up with much gph left.

That manifold is pretty sweet actually. However, I like everything to run on individual pumps, I use more electricity and put more heat into the tank that way. Besides, frankly that thing looks too complex for me :razz:

apexi
11-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Doing a 180 inwall is like having a car parked in your house longterm. There are may structural considerations that need to be taken into account. I consulted couple structural engineers when I was building mine due to the potential longer term impacts and also it being a part of a new house build.

For your tank stand, I would recommend that you double up on the posts and use some cross bracing just to be extra solid. It doesn't take much extra work to do, and when you're done the stand will be totally rock solid; an important consideration especially for any kind of inwall tank build. Since you're making the tank a part of the house, you want to make sure the stand is totally solid with vertical loads and resists any kind of potential lateral movement, such as what would occur in an earthquake.

If the tank is on the main floor (not basement), than you definitely want to take a look underneath to make sure there is proper structural support to prevent your floors from slowly sagging (has happened to people).

Best of luck!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/rotapowered/stand.jpg

PoonTang
11-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Christy. Just make sure that when you do your plumbing you try to plan for the future. Adding a few blanked off T's to the drain and return wont cost you much and if you ever decide to add anything in the future (fuge etc) it will save alot of time. Dont forget a union in your drain system also.

christyf5
11-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Christy. Just make sure that when you do your plumbing you try to plan for the future. Adding a few blanked off T's to the drain and return wont cost you much and if you ever decide to add anything in the future (fuge etc) it will save alot of time. Dont forget a union in your drain system also.

Good idea, thanks for the tip about the T's!! As for the union in the drain, why and where to put it??

Lance
11-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Christy, if you put a gate valve on the return line and the drain line you will have complete control of the flow. Also makes it easy for water changes, etc.

christyf5
11-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Christy, if you put a gate valve on the return line and the drain line you will have complete control of the flow. Also makes it easy for water changes, etc.

Of course!! LOL, I had them on a list of plumbing parts I made ages ago. Looking at them this morning I was wondering why I had them on there. Thanks! :biggrin:

PoonTang
11-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Put a union on the drain just below the tank incase you ever need to take it apart for cleaning or if you need to pull your sump or replace your tank etc. Have a look at the plumbing photo in my build thread.

fishytime
11-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Put a union on the drain just below the tank incase you ever need to take it apart for cleaning or if you need to pull your sump or replace your tank etc. Have a look at the plumbing photo in my build thread.

or you could just go with flex....like I did:wink::mrgreen:

lastlight
11-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Black flex is the runner-up-sexy to grey sch 80. I condone the use of both.

christyf5
11-13-2009, 01:56 AM
There will be no sexy plumbing on this tank build. Don't have the resources for it. :neutral:

lastlight
11-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Oh yeah you want to have water in the tank in LESS than 1.5 years. I always overlook that =)

christyf5
11-13-2009, 02:17 AM
LOL!!! I'm looking at getting water in it next weekend. Or at least wet!! :lol:

fishytime
11-13-2009, 02:51 AM

To hell with the kitchen???:lol:

christyf5
11-13-2009, 02:57 AM
kitchen?? what kitchen?? :razz:

Sadly its being picked up this weekend. Maybe I'll have to call in sick next week.

PoonTang
11-13-2009, 03:06 AM

I have water in mine :razz:
aquascaping in 2 days :)

christyf5
11-13-2009, 04:32 AM
I have water in mine :razz:
aquascaping in 2 days :)

Lucky bastard! :wink:

muck
11-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Don't forget you need an air compressor to clean the lines out periodically.

lastlight
11-13-2009, 02:45 PM
+1

christyf5
11-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Don't forget you need an air compressor to clean the lines out periodically.

huh?

muck
11-13-2009, 04:17 PM
huh?

"Here Matt... Hold this end while i pressurize the line a bit to blow all the built up crud out." :lol:

P.S. Ask Lance. :mrgreen:

christyf5
11-13-2009, 04:25 PM
LOL, oh right, forgot about that one!! :razz:

Lance
11-13-2009, 04:31 PM
:redface: Never gonna live this one down, am I guys?

lastlight
11-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Not until you take the money shot in the face buddy.

christyf5
11-13-2009, 08:37 PM
stand is pretty much done

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7537.jpg

put in a catwalk (I'm too sexy for my tank :wink:)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7539.jpg

bit of a hiccup, the plumbing store I like is closed today and the only other one in town has everything behind the counter, including a bunch of men that would rather not see "the wife" come in for plumbing "you just leave it to me, little lady" :rolleyes: So I don't bother going there.

I'm off to Vancouver this weekend, maybe I can find some stuff there. Suggestions?

don.ald
11-13-2009, 08:55 PM
vancouver!! forget the plumbing and buy corals:mrgreen::mrgreen:

christyf5
11-13-2009, 09:10 PM
vancouver!! forget the plumbing and buy corals:mrgreen::mrgreen:

LOL, yeah I know. But I have no less than 3 full frag racks right now. I'm not saying I'm NOT going to buy any corals but really they're less of a priority than say, another aquatronica powerbar, spaflex and a host of various plumbing parts and the new coral magazine :razz:

New bigger tank trumps corals. Especially when I'm so close to having it up and ready.

I'm still taking my softsided cooler on wheels with me tho :wink:

So yeah, I'll post pics of the corals I've bought on Monday then.... bwahahahahahah.

Lance
11-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Good job! Like the catwalk idea.

Lance
11-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Ok, you're home. The kitchen is done. Now let's get back to the build PLEASE! :mrgreen:

christyf5
11-17-2009, 05:50 PM
LOL, yeah right. Stalled out due to plumbing issues (and lack of availability as well as lack of brain so some will be shipped later this week and some I have to drive to Duncan for). Hopefully that will be rectified soon.

lngrhaul
11-18-2009, 02:56 AM
lack of brain so some will be shipped later this week and some I have to drive to Duncan for).

I need me some new brains as well - where do you get yours and how much??:lol:

christyf5
11-18-2009, 03:09 AM
Ugh, my skimmer just died. Pump needs a new impeller (I hope its just that). I wish I could fit the big skimmer into the stand. Crap, I was just in Van too :neutral:

fishytime
11-18-2009, 03:43 AM
Ugh, my skimmer just died. Pump needs a new impeller (I hope its just that). I wish I could fit the big skimmer into the stand. Crap, I was just in Van too :neutral:

ugh!....lovely timing huh? Some of us really take for granted the convenience of having LFSs close by....hope you get it sorted out soon Christy.

christyf5
11-19-2009, 03:58 AM
Ordered a new impeller, should be here tomorrow hopefully :biggrin:

Did some plumbing shopping today and bought some stuff this past weekend too :mrgreen:

I ended up buying a 2" bulkhead as the tank was drilled for it previously, I'm reducing it to 1.5" because I would have to buy about 12 feet of 2" PVC and I only need about 5-6' which is a waste. So I bought a bunch of reducers instead so I can do that in the 1.5 as well I am going to run from the dart with the spaflex but up the left side of the tank with PVC (and strap it to the wall I think) before I go back to spaflex for the wavy sea like Dez has done. I think the rigidity will serve well at that end of the tank, that way if someone bumps it, it won't move.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7543.jpg

I'm gonna do the return plumbing with spaflex, course I totally forgot to get some while I was in Van :doh: so it should arrive Friday.

Bought a couple new corals as well from Ocean Aquatics, they had some nice stuff, it was hard to control myself :razz:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/nov%2018%202009/IMG_7541.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/nov%2018%202009/IMG_7542.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/nov%2018%202009/IMG_7550.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/nov%2018%202009/Img_7551a.jpg

christyf5
11-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks to Wendell at OceanAquatics, for his speedy delivery of my skimmer impeller. Got it in and its working like a charm! :mrgreen:

Trying to wrangle a few people to get the tank on the stand, tonight possibly :biggrin:

PoonTang
11-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Christy, does that powerbar have Individual switches?

christyf5
11-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Christy, does that powerbar have Individual switches?

No its part of my Aquatronica controller system.

christyf5
11-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Progress!!

"Glass half full" (oh it goes painfully slow)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7581.jpg

Dart pump mounted with rubber feet to absorb any vibrations (best we could do around here)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7583.jpg

rubber feets (we mounted them upside down for better stability)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7584.jpg

Why I got a second Aquatronica Powerbar or "every electricians nightmare"
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7582.jpg

Wavy sea mounted (stuff in background is the RODI line and a clamp holding it in place)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7587.jpg

Thats about it. It should really be more exciting than that. Oh I also glued most of my PVC together today. PVC glue is disgusting, now I remember why I never glue anything :razz:

As well the sump is off being drilled and should be ready Tuesday so I can get the whole system up and running then. Then its just check for leaks, fling some salt in and get some rock in there :humble:

Oh and then theres all the finishing junk :razz:

Skimmerking
11-23-2009, 01:13 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm plumbing looks great christy

hillegom
11-23-2009, 02:04 AM
In addition to those feet on your pump, you could place the pump onto some of that wetsuit material. I have also seen mouse pads for the comp made out of the same material. It absorbs vibrations well.

Lance
11-23-2009, 03:21 AM
Christy, how did you make out with the scratches in the glass?

christyf5
11-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Christy, how did you make out with the scratches in the glass?

I didn't really. Turns out I couldn't turn the tank around as the spot to drill the hole for the overflow would have been a mass of 2x6's and stuff so not possible. So the front of the tank is the front of the tank. For the most part there are only a few really deep scratches that you can zero in on from about 10+ feet away. The rest are "cosmetic" and I would imagine they will be less noticeable to the average joe if I can keep them clean of algae.

I wish there was something like what those windshield chip repair guys do for aquariums :neutral:

Borderjumper
11-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Its gonna be so awesome Christy! Keep the pictures coming.

Tom R
11-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Looking Good

Tom R

christyf5
11-28-2009, 05:06 AM
Its alive!!

Tank is full, leaks are plugged and water is circulating (although its really hard to tell in this picture).

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7590.jpg

Thanks to Chin, my wavysea isn't sagging into the water, who the hell designed the mount that came with it anyways? :confused: Man am I glad I bought that thing at the frag swap. I forgot I even had it :razz:

Oops I just noticed that this was the pic I took before I realized it actually WAS sagging in the water. I remounted it higher up on the mount and its out of the water now :redface:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7592.jpg

Adding the salt!!! Whole box of RBS and then some :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7593.jpg

Delphinus
11-28-2009, 06:42 AM
:rockon:

cprowler
11-28-2009, 11:58 AM
:clap2:

Lance
11-28-2009, 04:58 PM
:Banane30:

Parker
11-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Wow, this is coming together fast! Looks Great!

christyf5
11-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Waa! The LFS has no rock. Man all this hurrying to get the tank ready and now waiting. *sigh* One of the few times I hate that I had the forethought to prepay for rock while I had money :razz:

hillegom
11-28-2009, 10:10 PM
No LR? Just a temporary snag. The build has been moving, and looks good! Be proud of that.
Maybe you could come to the lower mainland, there are a few people selling LR!

christyf5
11-28-2009, 10:19 PM
No LR? Just a temporary snag. The build has been moving, and looks good! Be proud of that.
Maybe you could come to the lower mainland, there are a few people selling LR!

I know, J&L even has a sale on it right now. For less than half of what I paid. Amazing how screwed over we get on the island. I'd feel bad asking for my money back at this point though.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-28-2009, 11:27 PM
I know, J&L even has a sale on it right now. For less than half of what I paid. Amazing how screwed over we get on the island. I'd feel bad asking for my money back at this point though.

Christy, if you buy other reefing stuff from that LFS, maybe ask them to do a partial refund, keep some credit there for future purchases & use the rest to come into the Lower Mainland to snag the rock you need at cheap prices now. That way they get future business, and you get your LR & save money. Just explain that you need the rock asap, but can get other stuff from them later.

hillegom
11-28-2009, 11:36 PM
I wonder if you can get a price adjust like at the bay? My wife says a lot of stores do that actually.

christyf5
11-28-2009, 11:44 PM
yeah I dunno, I might go ask him about it actually.

PoonTang
11-29-2009, 12:07 AM
yeah I dunno, I might go ask him about it actually.

I think I know where you are talking about. I got his last few pieces :twised:
You could always get some from Scott if you dont want to travel to Vancouver.

christyf5
11-29-2009, 01:04 AM
I went and talked to him, turns out I got a pretty good deal so I'm gonna wait :biggrin:

christyf5
12-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Got my rock!!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7599.jpg

Rather anti-climactic eh? :razz: Oh well, at least the tank is moving along :biggrin:

Lance
12-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Whoo Hoo!
Are you going bare-bottom again? Are you using some of the rock from the 90g?

christyf5
12-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Yep bare bottom and I'm using all of the rock from the 90. The 180 only has 60lbs in it so far. 60lbs sure don't look like much, I'm wondering if I should supplement it with some of that dry stuff. Then again maybe it will look alright once I get the rock from the 90 in there.

Lance
12-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Yep bare bottom and I'm using all of the rock from the 90. The 180 only has 60lbs in it so far. 60lbs sure don't look like much, I'm wondering if I should supplement it with some of that dry stuff. Then again maybe it will look alright once I get the rock from the 90 in there.

Yeah, good idea. See what you've got first, I'm sure you'll come up with an awesome reefscape!

Jason McK
12-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Oh there's the pictures I've been looking everywhere. Silly me.

Looks Great Christy just about ready for some SPS

J

Leah
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Christy,

It will look great when you transfer stuff over. I am so jealous. If you were only closer I am
redoing my rock in my 95 and will have lots of extra. I want to try a more open scape. If you guy's come to the Okanagan keep me in mind.

StirCrazy
12-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Just a question? why didn't you put up the drywall befor you started the tank, it is going to be real hard to keep the drywall dust out of your system now and it makes a tone of dust finnishing drywall.

Steve

Mrfish55
12-11-2009, 09:42 PM
I think she is doing panelling to match the rest of the room, I did my drywall after and no dust, just need to be carefull with the application and no sanding, knock off the high spots with a damp sponge.

Delphinus
12-11-2009, 09:44 PM
She didn't want to follow my example. I don't blame her. ***I*** don't want to follow my example...

JDigital
12-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Just a question? why didn't you put up the drywall befor you started the tank, it is going to be real hard to keep the drywall dust out of your system now and it makes a tone of dust finnishing drywall.

Steve

Easy fix...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENdtNQbQCjE

christyf5
12-29-2009, 04:11 PM

Steve

Didn't want drywall. I hate it when its not professionally done, I always think I've sanded it to hell and back and that the seams will be nice, then you get it painted and it looks like arse.

Theres panelling in the rest of the room anyways and I like the look of it. My husband wasn't impressed though, the panelling is twice the price of drywall (I had no idea :eek:) and its hard to work with. There was much swearing and complaining on his part, as well as an "I told you so" on mine, when we noticed that the prepainted sections could be easily peeled off with a fingernail so they needed to be sanded and primed before painting :razz:

Hopefully more pics today, we're going to frame the tank :biggrin:

Tank is almost cycled too, nitrates are about 10 although I wouldn't be surprised if I could maintain nitrates in an empty tank :razz:

andestang
12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
This is looking really good :) Can't wait to see the aqua scape. When I go to do a new set up I think I'm going to add mostly dry rocks, the pests with live rock still cause me grief to this day. Keep up the good work.

Lance
01-03-2010, 03:33 AM
Four days without an update? C'mon Christy, we're anxiously waiting for news and pics!

muck
01-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Four days without an update? C'mon Christy, we're anxiously waiting for news and pics!

Asmodeus is slacking lately on requesting pictures?
Making us do it... :lol:

Skimmerking
01-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Yes that is right mister.. now ask again MUCK yes Im using the VULCAN MIND SENSE.....

:wink:

christyf5
01-03-2010, 05:39 AM
LOL, there hasn't been much progress lately. The inlaws have arrived so its kind of slowed things down. I'll try to get some pics for you tomorrow :biggrin:

lastlight
01-03-2010, 06:02 AM
I've seen a few tanks in-wall like yours is Christy and what really impresses me is when the rock slopes up on either end with low rockwork or sand showing in the middle...not quite symmetrical though. Only an idea I'm sure whatever you have planned will be bomb =)

Here's a fairly densely packed scape that illustrates what I'm talking about although this particular tank is not in-wall. The design could always be thinned some.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/totm/index.php

christyf5
01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm hoping to do something like these with two "bommies" and a pass through. I can't find the other pic I had but basically from a top tank point of view, the two bommies were offset and you ended up with an "angled crevasse" look that was pretty cool.

lastlight
01-03-2010, 04:56 PM
I think we're all the same here. Saving random fts shots as we surf the forums. I must have hundreds of inspiration shots. I get what you're aiming for though and that will be nice to watch fish navigate.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-03-2010, 08:08 PM
I think we're all the same here. Saving random fts shots as we surf the forums. I must have hundreds of inspiration shots. I get what you're aiming for though and that will be nice to watch fish navigate.

Hmmm maybe I should start saving pictures too. I never save them and then often can never find them again.

lastlight
01-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Justin even the pics you sent me went into my random folder of goodness.

Nobody get any fast ideas...it was interior design =)

christyf5
01-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I think Brett should share his aquascaping photos in a new thread, I've only found three that do anything for me, I need more inspiration!

christyf5
01-04-2010, 03:13 AM
progress!

today I moved the wavysea from its position on the side of the tank:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7592.jpg

to the front of the tank:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7671.jpg

Yay me! :becky:

christyf5
01-04-2010, 03:32 AM
man not even one sarcastic comment :razz:

More progress.

So this is the tank room, not the fish room but the nice relaxing spot to watch the tank.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7666.jpg

Yeah theres a whole ikea kitchen in there. Thats also why the next photos suck so hard. Its hard to balance on various boxes while taking photos :rolleyes:

Hmm, didn't take any photos of putting the paneling up. Oh well, imagine what its like putting paneling up, with swearwords and stuff.

Got the tank framed. This color we used in our bathroom and since we had a whole can I thought I'd try it on the frame. I didn't really like it. The frame is MDF and weighs a ton but it was only $2 a foot compared to the lovely other real woods I had picked out which were $20 a foot :p So the MDF is screwed into the wall and then wood puttied over the countersunk heads.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7667.jpg

Then I went to the store and bought the color I originally wanted (it sucks buying those halfy cans of paint, they're so pricey!). Got the low VOC paint so I didn't have to turn off the skimmers.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7672.jpg

So the original plan was to copy Dez's tank frame idea, it was perfect except for the fact that my tank is longer and we don't have an Ikea here (but mail order is fun, you should try it with a kitchen sometime!). However, my husband announced that he couldn't do the dowels so he wanted to use hinges to provide access. Of course that didn't work either because you can't lever up the pointy parts of the frame (they get really tight before they start to flip upwards). So we ended up having to make a couple of cutouts:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7670.jpg

And the lid now louvers up via 4 hinges that allow the lid to be raised 170 degrees. Of course it weighs a ton so it doesn't stay up on its own. I gotta find a big stick somewhere.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/tank%20reno/IMG_7674.jpg

So ya, thats about all that got done. Now I just need to get the light rack built and I can move stuff over :D

Mrfish55
01-04-2010, 03:37 AM
Looking good, need to do something about the kinky hose on the wavy, and I would cover it to slow down algae growth, big difference with the panelling and trim. How are you making out with the light rack?

lastlight
01-04-2010, 03:37 AM
I'm not sure I am seeing this right. So you cut the corners off your frame? Why not mount a few full extension drawer slides vertically so the top frame piece slides up and out of your way?

christyf5
01-04-2010, 03:39 AM
Looking good, need to do something about the kinky hose on the wavy, and I would cover it to slow down algae growth, big difference with the panelling and trim. How are you making out with the light rack?

Yeah that kinky hose was just temporary to get the tank going. I'm going to replace it, likely with a piece of the same hose, unkinky and covered in electrical tape. Cuz thats how we roll here :razz:

My light rack builder is MIA, hopefully he emails me in the next few days or I'm gonna have to find me a pro-fessional.

hillegom
01-04-2010, 03:41 AM
To keep up the canopy door, you could try one/two of those small gas shocks that hold up your hood on your car or canopy for your truck etc.
Princess auto has them as surplus and cheap

christyf5
01-04-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm not sure I am seeing this right. So you cut the corners off your frame? Why not mount a few full extension drawer slides vertically so the top frame piece slides up and out of your way?

Yeah apparently that wasn't an option. Unless its something I can buy ready made by myself, I just get what I get. This is what I got.

Lance
01-04-2010, 03:48 AM
I really like the colours on the panels and trim. Very nice. You should be able to find some kind of heavy duty hinge to hold up the canopy lid. I don't like the stick idea: too easy to knock it loose and have the lid come crashing down on you or the tank.

Dez
01-04-2010, 03:54 AM
Nice progress Christy. Just wondering on the same lines as Brett, are the corners that were cut out screwed and glued back in then, or are they gonna be permanently missing. Your husband didn't have to use dowels, he could've just used some nails.

I bet you're glad you have front access though right?

cygmark
01-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Aww that looks so good, i am going to get my tank soo, i ordered a 180 gallon with external baffels and a sump, can't wait to get some tips and tricks from ya , love it you did such a nice job!

Josh

christyf5
01-04-2010, 03:59 AM
The corners were cut out and are removeable. I have to remove them before I flip the lid up. Its really not a huge deal just annoying. The frame is painted dark enough (and the room has crappy lighting) so you don't really notice it.

I had suggested that we square off the edges in a more contemporary design having the top overlap only one of the sides and rest on the other (bloody hard to explain). IMO it would have looked better and been more functional but oh well, like I said, I get what I get.

Yeah the front access is nice, I wouldn't have gone this route if I couldn't have access to the front, the tank would have stuck out into the room in that case.

Dez
01-04-2010, 04:02 AM
The corners were cut out and are removeable. I have to remove them before I flip the lid up. Its really not a huge deal just annoying. The frame is painted dark enough (and the room has crappy lighting) so you don't really notice it.

I had suggested that we square off the edges in a more contemporary design having the top overlap only one of the sides and rest on the other (bloody hard to explain). IMO it would have looked better and been more functional but oh well, like I said, I get what I get.

Yeah the front access is nice, I wouldn't have gone this route if I couldn't have access to the front, the tank would have stuck out into the room in that case.

You explained it well. I know exactly what you mean because I was going to do the same thing without mitres on the corners, just flat. I sort of illustrated it at the beginning of my tank journal. But I got what I got as well seeing that Ikea made it :biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing this reef grow!

lastlight
01-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Oh you put the missing pieces back later. See that's no biggie at all. Just a really quick extra step =) Frame looks really nice!

christyf5
01-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Oh you put the missing pieces back later. See that's no biggie at all. Just a really quick extra step =) Frame looks really nice!

yeah I guess I could have explained that part a little better eh?

Thanks, I'm really liking how the frame turned out. I'm so glad Dez found that Ikea mirror! Way to go Dez! :wink:

christyf5
02-22-2010, 02:03 AM
So electrical work was done and we consolidated some stuff to get me a couple more circuits for the tank. Currently I have two circuits on either side of the tank with a planned third one that I haven't decided on a location for yet.

As well......

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/IMG_8101.jpg

Light rack! Whee! Needs some paint and we're off to the races. I'm off on Friday so hopefully I can get this thing whipped into shape and ready to roll by then and then get it set up over the tank and move everything over for the weekend.

Oh and the tank may have fish in it. These guys followed me home :wink:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/Feb%2021%202010/IMG_8090.jpg
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Skimmerking
02-22-2010, 02:09 AM
how much was the cab ride for the FISH LOL

Delphinus
02-22-2010, 04:00 AM
Bellus! Nice! :)

lastlight
02-22-2010, 05:30 AM
The sliver of red on the Bellus is so BALLS. Nice score!

christyf5
02-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, the lighting on that tank is ambient plus a 65W CF unit I found in a box so the pics aren't that great but she really is quite stunning. I can't wait to get another and watch one of them change :biggrin:

Stephanie1974
02-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Great Job! It sure takes a while to get the job done properly, but you did an awesome job! It looks like I have quite a bit to learn before I can say I am advanced in the hobby.

christyf5
02-24-2010, 03:51 AM
LOL, ok this has been my last 24 hours or so, tank-wise.

Yesterday, race home after work to paint newly acquired light rack in the waning sunlight hours. Put cardboard on lawn to keep grass from attaching itself, set light rack on cardboard, get a coat of paint on, watch time to get second coat of paint before I have to race off to a cooking class. Come home, rescue light rack from cold and bring inside. Turn off skimmers as paint still smells to high heaven. Paint doesn't dry well at 5 degrees.

This am, look at light rack, not too shabby, couple spots look thin, maybe I'll get another coat of paint tonight. Turn room light on to provide ambient light for fish in new tank. Make sure new fish haven't jumped out (paranoia).

Afternoon...raining. No extra coat of paint (its spray paint and I need like a 30ft radius of nothing nearby as apparently I'm quite liberal with the paint). Phooey!

Come home after work, new wrasse deader than a doornail. WTF? Unimpressed. I loved that fish the second I clapped eyes on it. FML :cry:

Pout for awhile. Lets get this light in order. Ok, drill holes to insert eye bolts for hanging....drill useless, I'm gonna be standing here half the night to get one hole drilled. Set battery to recharge. Don't people use corded drills anymore? Matt finds me a corded drill and drills the holes for me and goes back to the hockey game.

Look up at beams. Hmm, they're not where I want them to be. Guess I'm gonna have to drill more holes. Lets place the rack where I want it and see where it measures up.

Hmm, rack doesn't seem to fit. WTF? Get out tape measure, rack is 72.5 inches long. $%#! I forgot the tank is set into the wall at the front and framed at exactly 72 inches. Guess I should have stressed that point. Go upstairs and eat dinner while pouting :razz:

Matt suggests cutting the edges of the "feet" tabs off as they're hanging over quite a bit. Solution! This proves to be more difficult than expected. Hacksaw seems to be missing. While he goes on the hunt, I figure I might as well splice the mogul socket onto the special plug that goes into the ballast. Seems easy enough. Trim off the plastic, get the wires set up. Where are the murets? Over there. Ok I'll just take the cords over there. %$#! Forgot the porcelain mogul socket is attached to the cord. Porcelain and concrete are two things that shouldn't meet at high velocity. Its now in two big pieces and fifty billion little ones. Awesome. Get out crazy glue, glue big pieces back on and finger to other part of mogul. Get finger off mogul, finger sticks to thumb. Me and crazy glue, yeah we're a good time.

Ok, most of the mogul socket is on there, good enough, what are the odds I'll cut myself on that sharp edge? Guess we'll find out later :razz:

Found the hacksaw, trim off the tab edges. Labour intensive and Matt takes care of that. Yay! It fits where I want it. Matt decides to place cross braces so I can hang it using the spots where I've already put the eyebolts in on the rack. Yay again!

While he's doing this I laugh to myself. He catches me laughing and I tell him that the eurobracing on this tank is quite wide. Wider than I figured. Not wider than I measured because I didn't measure it or take into accoun that there is only a 15" opening that doesn't have glass (ie each eurobrace is 4.5" wide). My reflectors are 14.5" wide. My VHOs are going to be brilliantly shining into the glass of the eurobracing. he just shakes his head.

SMRT.

Ok, time to call it a night. Sheesh.

superduperwesman
02-24-2010, 03:52 AM
Holler... more pics please

christyf5
02-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Of what? Theres nothing in it. At this point I'm afraid I might break the camera, or glue myself to it :razz:

superduperwesman
02-24-2010, 03:58 AM
You could post some pictures of that ahah.

I don't know... it just felt like it should be time for more pictures? GUess I thought it was a lil further ahah

Trim is awesome btw!

christyf5
02-24-2010, 04:01 AM
No, sadly the last thing to do before I fill it with the contents of my 90gal is switch the lighting over. So everything sort of came to a grinding halt while I waited for the light rack to be built.

Currently on my 90gal I have two mogul metal halides. I'll be adding a third and I have that all wired up and ready to go but once I get the lighting off the other tank I pretty much have to move all the livestock over ASAP. So I'm just waiting for my next day off to get that done. Friday is the day....I hope :razz:

JDigital
02-24-2010, 04:06 AM
:rofl2: Oh Christy... you always make me laugh... :mrgreen: Sorry to hear about your troubles though..

What are your plans for the VHOs now?

Lance
02-24-2010, 04:13 AM
:rofl: Good stuff! :pop2:

Lance
02-24-2010, 04:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your fish. That sucks! Actually your whole day pretty much sucked! Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

christyf5
02-24-2010, 04:17 AM
:rofl2: Oh Christy... you always make me laugh... :mrgreen: Sorry to hear about your troubles though..

What are your plans for the VHOs now?

Well at least I haven't lost that ability :razz:

Well yet again, due to my inability to guesstimate anything spatially or actually get out a tape measure, only about 40% of my VHO lighting is making it into my 90gal. The lumenarcs were an upgrade well after I built the hood and I only measured whether they'd fit, not whether they'd fit properly. The VHOs ended up sitting on the reflectors and a goodly portion of the light from them is actually reflected upwards into the hood (it lights the room quite nicely when the front of the hood is off :wink:). So I would imagine if I keep the eurobracing clean in the new tank, probably about 40% will make it in there too.

I was also thinking I might go with blue LEDs. There is a guy here that custom builds LED light strips so I figured I might measure something up and go with that. I actually will measure it this time though. Thats no guarantee that it will fit though.

The ushios are pretty nice without actinic supplementation. I might just go with them too. Who knows at this point? I bought a couple used radiums to try too, just for fun ($20 for a pair). Its really hard to determine anything until you're looking at it. Currently I'm trying to position the three reflectors on the light rack, what a pain in the arse when you only have one to physically work with. I'm just gonna leave it alone until I have all three to fiddle with.

Another thing I realized while looking at the eurobracing is that my wavy sea will likely get cooked all to hell where its sitting currently. So I'll have to take that into account as well when positioning the reflectors.

Its a good thing I'm not in construction. Or better yet, I didn't build the stand. That could have been scary!

Just found superglue on a third finger. Go me!

christyf5
02-24-2010, 04:20 AM
Sorry to hear about your fish. That sucks! Actually your whole day pretty much sucked! Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

Yeah it did suck. And I didn't even include work, that sucked too! :razz:

christyf5
02-25-2010, 01:36 AM
Got the light rack up today!! Looks like the glass needs cleaning :razz:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/Feb%2024%202010/IMG_8103.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/Feb%2024%202010/IMG_8104.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/Feb%2024%202010/IMG_8105.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/Feb%2024%202010/IMG_8106.jpg

Just for fun I put a radium bulb in there. I picked up a couple used ones at the frag swap last fall. I'm really liking the color, they make my ushios look incredibly yellow :razz:

Yeah safety! :wink: Matt is a bit nervous about the whole light rack thing. I was hoping for something a bit less unsightly but it'll do for now.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/Feb%2024%202010/IMG_8107.jpg

Chase31
02-25-2010, 01:57 AM
looks like your missing a light :p

Lance
02-25-2010, 02:16 AM
Good stuff Christy. Glad to hear you had a better day today. :biggrin:

Tom R
02-25-2010, 02:38 AM
Looking great Christy

PoonTang
02-25-2010, 03:12 AM
Hey! that looks awesome. Almost time to "Populate"

christyf5
02-25-2010, 03:18 AM
Friday is the day :mrgreen:

fishytime
02-25-2010, 03:34 AM
Looking great Christy!.....I bet you cant wait til Friday????? I cant wait either:wink:

christyf5
02-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Yeah I'm sort of thinking about calling in sick tomorrow :razz:

Doug
02-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Looks like its coming along very nice Christy. I always liked my Radiums. On my 225g, I ran 3 400,s and people coming over said it use to look like an exotic reef down south somewhere.

superduperwesman
02-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Looking good!

Probably in here but... why does the light bracket have the 4 legs?

christyf5
02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm going to attach VHO's to the legs. The VHO lighting is still on my 90 gallon tank.

superduperwesman
02-25-2010, 03:03 PM
ooooohhhh... right. Ic now

StirCrazy
02-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Christy, why don't you just put some flat bar between the legs on each end then you can drill mounting holes in the flatbar and move your VHO in towards the center a bit. then it won't be shining through the eurobrace. easy quick fix for your problem.

Steve

christyf5
02-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah, the VHO bulbs also have reflectors in them so I was thinking I could always tilt them on more of an angle than straight down. I'll have to scope it out once I get all the lumenarcs set up.

christyf5
02-27-2010, 03:24 AM
Finally done!! http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/SparklesGreen06/biggrin.gif

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/Feb%2026%202010%20-%20180/IMG_8114.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/Feb%2026%202010%20-%20180/IMG_8116.jpg

Everyone is moved successfully except for a few snails, the powder blue tang and the raccoon butterfly. Both fish will be finding a new home. The PBT has become very aggressive lately with the addition of a lavender tang and I've decided that I will likely add another one but it will be the last fish I add. Hopefully Poontang will take him, if not he might reside in my sump for awhile. I'm hoping to pawn the raccoon off on Marie as she was interested in having him do a bit of cleaning in one of her tanks. He did a wonderful job of ridding my tank of aiptasia and majanos before moving on to zoos (lucky just the fugly ones) blastos, acans and ricordeas. The snails are just in there because there isn't much to eat in the new tank and because I had to quit before I fell over. My back isn't a happy camper.

Tomorrow its epic frag mounting time, time to unload those frag racks :wink:

Delphinus
02-27-2010, 03:29 AM
Looks good! But you can't call it a night before you post a picture of the lavender. :p

marie
02-27-2010, 03:37 AM
I still want him Christy :mrgreen: .

Jason McK
02-27-2010, 03:42 AM
Looks Amazing Christy Love the 2 Islands

christyf5
02-27-2010, 03:48 AM
Looks good! But you can't call it a night before you post a picture of the lavender. :p

The lavender went into the tank early on and I only saw him once hanging out in the rockwork. He hasn't come out since, only the regal (who is too stupid to know what is going on) and the bellus (who is hungry) were out and about.

Lance
02-27-2010, 04:02 AM
Whooo Hoooo! Looks Great Christy!

cordeiro
02-27-2010, 04:43 AM
vary nice.... badda da da da... im lovin it

PoonTang
02-27-2010, 04:52 AM
Awesome work. The aquascaping is Da' Bomb

superduperwesman
02-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Looks good!!

Doug
02-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Mr. Regal....." wow, look at me go now". :lol: Good job Christy.

Leah
02-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Wow, Christy!! :smilecol:

:dance: Congratulations... tank looks amazing, you are one determined girl. :wink: Ya, girls rock. :bounce:

StirCrazy
02-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Finally done!! http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/SparklesGreen06/biggrin.gif

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/Feb%2026%202010%20-%20180/IMG_8116.jpg

:wink:

um.. I don't see any VHOs on thoes lights.. what are you trying to pull saying your done??:mrgreen:

Steve

christyf5
02-27-2010, 03:08 PM
um.. I don't see any VHOs on thoes lights.. what are you trying to pull saying your done??:mrgreen:

Steve

Well the VHOs are 6ft long, the ones in my 90 are only 4ft so.......

Basically I've run out of money. The ushios are stupid bright on the HQI ballasts and I'm liking the bulbs as they are. When I have more money and the inclination I'll likely add either the VHOs or a LED light bar.

Thanks for the comments guys! :biggrin: It was a long day yesterday. I forgot how much I truly hate aquascaping. I can never replicate my "vision" (especially when some of the rocks have encrusted corals).

christyf5
03-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Got most of my frags mounted. Couple are still in the frag rack as I haven't decided where they belong. A couple I think might be "doubles" so I'll wait them out and see what they do.

Still haven't seen the candy hogfish. I'm starting to get pessimistic. The gramma was out today though and the lavender is starting to feel more comfortable now that there is nobody harassing him.

A better full on photo. We put some of the kitchen together today so I can finally get a decent shot from in front of the tank :razz:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/feb%2027%202010/feb272010.jpg

christyf5
03-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Spent some time on Tuesday night tearing half the tank apart looking for the candy hogfish. I finally found him yesterday, under the catwalk. Fish jerky :cry: I guess he didn't make it over to the tank in the rock, I heard him flipping about in the rock and moved it over quickly but I guess he dislodged himself and landed on the floor and I missed it in the rush to get everything moved over. I'm pretty bummed about that and curse myself once again for my stupidity.

muck
03-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Wooooo.... me likey. :mrgreen:

kien
03-04-2010, 04:37 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/feb%2027%202010/feb272010.jpg

Your hippo looks so small now :-) I'm glad to see he kept his purple though! :lol:

lastlight
03-04-2010, 04:55 PM
That's gonna look sick as it all grows out! Nice job with the rocks.

christyf5
03-21-2010, 06:07 AM
I've been meaning to update this but you know what they way, its worthless without photos. So I finally found time to take some photos :razz:

It didn't take long for the cyano to set in, less than a week I'd say. It came over from the other tank. Didn't help that I had most of the powerheads off for the wrasse, although turning them back on doesn't really blow off the cyano, they're not that kind that is affected by "slow spots". I have both red and green, the tank looks like christmas in a really grungy sort of way. Makes taking photos difficult due to the number of bubbles that refract the light making any picture I take look like complete a$$ so no tank pics until I resolve that (it sucks because the tank looks nice to my eye, I take a photo, its completely overexposed due to the bubbles, then I turkeybaste all the bubbles away, then have to wait for the tank to settle down because there is freaking cyano flying everywhere, then I forget to take the photo. The next day, the bubbles are back. Rinse. Repeat. I'm tempted to chemi-clean the whole thing but I love how hard my skimmer is working and I love my coral coloration so... yeeeah).

The tank also has other issues, namely:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8325.jpg

Who seems to enjoy picking at my midas blenny while he sleeps. I found a rather large lesion on the blennys dorsal yesterday. This morning I found him dead in his sleeping hole, the crab having a nice light snack. I tried skewering him with a fondue fork but he's a crafty bugger.

Oh and these little beauties, I think I know the source of these, my own damned fault:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8335.jpg

I'm hoping the wrasse develops a taste for them.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/Img_8386.jpg
Wow that photo did NOT take well to cropping :razz:

Since last I posted, I've added the Aquatronica ATO that came with my controller. Previously I used my trusty float valve gravity fed by a topoff bucket but I decided to go "high tech" for this one (mostly because the float valve was pretty much done, I replace it yearly). Its working out nicely.

I purchased a vortech mp40 (non-wireless gen1) but haven't added it to the tank yet because 1. not sure where I want it to be, I just can't decide and 2. it didn't come with the little rubber disk for 3/4" glass (that is being shipped to me right now, it just got lost in the shuffle). Yeah I know, new toy and its not being played with. I've already taken both the wet and dry sides apart just for fun :razz:

Ok enough talking, gratuitous photos!

Recovered Pocilipora damicornis
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8356.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8360.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/Img_8353.jpg

Recovered Cyphastrea decadia
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8351.jpg

Current favorite
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/Img_8352.jpg

Second recovered P. damicornis and partially recovering yellow acro
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8363.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8382.jpg

Clams are back in the tank, yep they're being snacked on again. I'm suspecting the regal tang, it was likely him all along. Their mantles are out and healing somewhat so I assume as long as I feed the fat bastard often enough he might leave them alone. Oh and best shot of the lavender tang I could get (fast little bugger).
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8385.jpg

Delphinus
03-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Gorgeous lavender! :)

FWIW. The pellets should starve out that cyano, if you're looking for an excuse to hold off on the Chemiclean for the time being..

christyf5
03-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah I'm hoping they'll get the job done. Just have to be patient I guess :wink:

Lance
03-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Lookin' fine Christy!
After the pellets clean up the cyano it's clear sailing for you. (fingers crossed)
After the issues you've had lately you're due for some good times. :biggrin:

cprowler
03-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Looks like it's going to look spectacular, can't wait for the FTS.

christyf5
03-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Still no FTS, that will have to wait till the sun sets. Got some other pics though :mrgreen:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8361.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8378.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8373.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/Img_8362.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/Img_8364.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8347.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8348.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2020%202010/IMG_8374.jpg

fishytime
03-22-2010, 02:56 PM
lovely little clams there Christy:wink:.....

christyf5
03-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Weird, I could have sworn I posted a FTS in here. Wonder where it ended up? :confused:

fishytime
03-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Weird, I could have sworn I posted a FTS in here. Wonder where it ended up? :confused:

you have two of the same pics in that post.....probably forgot to "copy" or "copied" the wrong link:wink:

christyf5
03-22-2010, 03:31 PM
no that was supposed to be another clam. Damn I gotta get more sleep! :razz:

christyf5
03-22-2010, 03:32 PM
FTS from yesterday. I hope I didn't post it in someone elses thread or something

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/Mar%2021%202010%20tank/Mar212010.jpg

Lance
03-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Hmmmm. Bare bottom and a nice clam!

oops sorry! Couldn't help myself. :redface: My bad!

christyf5
03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
LOL I think you're in the wrong thread Lance. Fishytime's thread is two down :razz:

fishytime
03-22-2010, 04:01 PM
LOL I think you're in the wrong thread Lance. Fishytime's thread is two down :razz:

Hey! that was un-called for:neutral:..........................but true:twised::biggrin:

Lance
03-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Maybe that's the problem. I've read too much of his thread and it's rubbing off on me........(must keep mind out of gutter........ must keep mind out of gutter)

fishytime
03-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Maybe that's the problem. I've read too much of his thread and it's rubbing off on me........(must keep mind out of gutter........ must keep mind out of gutter)

being a perv is not a learned behavior......that is something that is instinctive, so dont blame that on me Lance:razz::lol:

Lance
03-22-2010, 04:11 PM
being a perv is not a learned behavior......that is something that is instinctive, so dont blame that on me Lance:razz::lol:

Oh. Well I guess I may have to check myself into pervs-anonymous. Wonder where Tiger went to?

christyf5
03-22-2010, 04:14 PM
LOL I think Tiger is far past what "pervs-anonymous" could do for him.

fishoholic
03-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Good luck with that! :lol:

:rofl2:

The FTS looks great Christy :biggrin:

Skimmerking
03-24-2010, 08:29 PM

fishy you and Leah are the Can reef's Perv's we all know that:lol:

christyf5
03-29-2010, 03:47 AM
So I was fiddling with the camera in manual mode. That "overexposure" on the top of the larger corals is really frustrating to deal with. I really do need to get a book on photography, if I could just stop spending money on tank stuff for 5 minutes. Anyway, I think this is one of the better tank photos.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/mar282010.jpg

Since last I posted I picked up a squamosa clam (cream color with brown stripey bits), he's very camera shy and doesn't like to position himself in any sort of photogenic state so just imagine what he looks like until I can get him to behave himself. Currently he is between the two islands, I don't think he likes all the flow, but his mantles is out and happy. Oh I did manage to get a photo, here he is in all his glory!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8430.jpg

I also got an orange shoulder tang. I've wanted one of these for about 3 weeks. LOL, they weren't even on my radar until the LFS got one in that was a yellow juvenile with the beginnings of the "shoulder" marking. Of course by the time I realized I wanted it, it was sold. Then last week they got an adult in and promptly put it in their display tanks :confused: This week I had them order one in for me. Yay me! Course the lavender went to town on it. Nothing major, just chasing and waving their butts at each other. Of course they're both Acanthurus. I'm usually really good about researching new livestock. For some reason I was thinking the Lavender was a Ctenochaetus (don't ask me why as its clear as day, looking at the two of them). Anyway, its day 3 and things are calming down and the shoulder tang is out and about. Every once in awhile the two of them race by and then it calms down again.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8502.jpg

I installed the vortech. I think the bearings in the dry side are going as there is quite a bit of chatter when you ramp it up past about 50%. I keep it as low as it can go or its just too noisy. It gets the job done and all the fish love that corner of the tank to get their exercise in the current. I'm hoping to replace the wet side as soon as the money tree starts budding again. I've been pruning it rather liberally lately :razz:

I'm also trying out some N/P Biopellets. I'm hoping they'll take a bite out of the cyano (which you can see in almost every bloody photo...:2gunfire: ). I don't recommend the phosban 550 reactor for this. It seems the TLF people are pretty short sighted in the design and its for slow flow for phosban only. I've had to modify it (removing the top plate and flipping the bottom plate so that the tube part dangles at the bottom, then put a piece of mesh at the top to slow the flow exciting to build up some pressure inside to get everything moving) as well as put ridiculous amounts of flow through it to get the pellets to jostle about. Oh well, thats what I get for trying to save a buck I guess.

Gratuitous eye candy! As you can see, I have some cyano (just a bit :rolleyes:) and some flatworms. Don't look any closer than that. *sigh*

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8470.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8488.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8435.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8422.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8432.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8434.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8478.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8500.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8523.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8498.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8521.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/March%2028%202010/IMG_8539.jpg

mseepman
03-29-2010, 04:48 AM
Christy, your tank is looking great! I find taking pictures one of the most frustrating parts of reefing as I just can't get it, but your pics are looking good! If I may ask, what is the fish in your second to last photo. It looks to be an angel but with all your SPS I was doubting it.

Anyways, I get to Nanaimo about every 6 or 7 weeks for business and would love to see your tank some day.

Chaloupa
03-29-2010, 05:33 AM
OMG Christy, your tank is looking so absolutely AMAZING!

christyf5
03-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Christy, your tank is looking great! I find taking pictures one of the most frustrating parts of reefing as I just can't get it, but your pics are looking good! If I may ask, what is the fish in your second to last photo. It looks to be an angel but with all your SPS I was doubting it.

Anyways, I get to Nanaimo about every 6 or 7 weeks for business and would love to see your tank some day.

Sure, give me a shout when you know you're coming and we can set something up :biggrin:

christyf5
03-29-2010, 03:09 PM
OMG Christy, your tank is looking so absolutely AMAZING!

Thanks Sarah! I'm hoping in about a year or so my tank might be on par with yours :biggrin:

Lance
03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Looking fine Christy! Isn't all that extra real estate fun? The pellets will clean things up for you. I had some cyano and within a week of starting the pellets it was gone.
PS: How's "Ol Purple Pants making out with the two new Tangs? He was king of the castle for so long methinks he might be a little put out. Of course the new tank helps, he probably doesn't think of it as his yet.

christyf5
03-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Looking fine Christy! Isn't all that extra real estate fun? The pellets will clean things up for you. I had some cyano and within a week of starting the pellets it was gone.
PS: How's "Ol Purple Pants making out with the two new Tangs? He was king of the castle for so long methinks he might be a little put out. Of course the new tank helps, he probably doesn't think of it as his yet.

Actually he could care less. I think he's pretty happy with all the extra feedings I've been giving the tank lately for the new fish (and to keep him from chomping at the croceas). I'm not so sure the red stuff is cyano. Its pretty tenacious and is wavy in the current like red wheat fields. Anyway, I finally got the pellets set up "properly" so we shall see if they get the job done or not.

cprowler
03-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes, looking good!

I was thinking the same thing in a year or so...look out.

Parker
03-29-2010, 04:07 PM
I finally got the pellets set up "properly" so we shall see if they get the job done or not.

Did you end up branching off your return?

christyf5
03-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Did you end up branching off your return?

I did, didn't take any photos though, its pretty standard, kind of ugly as I had a heavy hand with the PVC glue (no water is escaping from those fittings!). I see what you mean about maybe needing a valve going to the tank though, I think if I add another reactor or something I will be pushing it and need to add that valve to slow the water going to the tank.

christyf5
04-24-2010, 04:24 AM
Requisite Tank Photo:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/April%2023%202010/april232010.jpg

The tank is coming along, still have the cyano and the green slime algae. I'm about . <--this close to chemi-clean-ing the tank. Those NP biopellets just aren't doing much. I still scrape the glass every 3 days or so.

Corals are doing well. My croceas are still nice light snacks for the regal tang. I notice he's started in on my teardrop maxima as well. Jackass.

My husband was in a building mood so I got a nice workbench for the tank room.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/April%2023%202010/IMG_8619.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/April%2023%202010/IMG_8618.jpg

I just coralsnow/MB7'ed the tank before taking that photo in case you were wondering :wink: I'm also trying that to get rid of the cyano.

Anyway, the tank room is totally coming together and for probably the first time in my reefing history, I actually feel organized! Crazy stuff!

Side effect of the organization. I thought I'd move my computer from one side of the tank to the other so I could put it on that bench (previously it sat on the catwalk on the right hand side of the tank. This required the move of the USB cord that connects my aquatronica to the computer. Somehow the USB plugged into the other powerbar trips the whole thing and everything turns off. Using a different USB slot I can get it to "not trip" but then the controller doesn't recognize anything and doesn't send information to the computer. After unplugging it from the powerbar, everything is hunky dory but I can't check any temperature or pH graphs on the computer, nor can I check on the controller remotely because the program doesn't recognize the controller. Sadly, returning the USB cord to the exact same spot it was working in previously doesn't fix the problem. Awesome. :rolleyes:

Delphinus
04-24-2010, 06:05 AM
Tidy looking fish room, and to my eyes at least the tank looks great. Steady on !

Tom R
04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Hi Christy

I love the Fishroom and new Work Bench.

I started to use the NP Pellets 3 weeks ago and I am also showing Cyno so keep us posted on how the Coral Snow and the MB7 works.

Tom R

Lance
04-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Nice.

Wish I had room for a fish room. :sad:

Leah
04-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Your tank is incredible Christy...love the Bellus. :biggrin:

fishy you and Leah are the Can reef's Perv's we all know that:lol:

Really you don't say.

I am pretty sure it is guilty by association. :wink:

Mike if my memory serves me right, it is you who asks all the Girly's if they have webcam or facebook. :razz:

Zoaelite
04-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Christy the tank is looking top notch!

Love the clean look in the back room, I would feel much to "Mad Chemist" to cause any good for my reef in an environment like that :lol:. I'm contemplating setting up a dosing pump like you have going on there, would you recommend it? I just can't keep my ALK constant for some reason so my SPS growth has been minimal at best.

PoonTang
04-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Hey Christy the tank and the fish room look awesome. Just let me know if you think your clams need a rest from that nasty ole tang ;)

fishytime
04-25-2010, 01:12 AM
agreed the fish room looks great.....*also wishes he had a fish room*.......and that red ric (is it?) is freakin amazing!

fishoholic
04-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Tank is looking good and the fish room looks great, hopefully you'll be able to figure out the computer stuff and fix the problem.

PoonTang
04-25-2010, 01:32 AM
The computer probably has too much smoke in it. Mabey try lettingsome out :twised:

kien
04-25-2010, 01:46 AM
oh man... I too bow to the fish room! :hail: If only.. instead I have to resort to use the dining room which doesn't always go over well with the life partner.