PDA

View Full Version : QT tanks. Seriously, WTF??

christyf5
10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
So I come home from vacation Saturday and my tailspot wrasse has popeye. My tanksitter says he was googly eyed Thurs, ate Friday but didn't eat on Saturday. Sunday morning I race off to get some maracyn (suggested by wetwebmedia) I fish him out of the tank to treat him in a QT on Sunday. Wake up to a dead fish this am:sad:

I don't think I've ever successfully treated a fish in a QT tank, ever. Not that I've done it that much. I usually don't have much success in actually seeing the problem, finding the fish, getting him out of the tank into the QT but the few times I have, they ALWAYS die!!

Is it just me? do QTs really suck? How big of a tank should I be using?

Ugh, so frustrating. I LOVED that fish. And how the hell did he get popeye in the first place??? Arggghhhh!!! :sad::sad:

marie
10-26-2009, 03:32 PM
So I come home from vacation Saturday and my tailspot wrasse has popeye. My tanksitter says he was googly eyed Thurs, ate Friday but didn't eat on Saturday. Sunday morning I race off to get some maracyn (suggested by wetwebmedia) I fish him out of the tank to treat him in a QT on Sunday. Wake up to a dead fish this am:sad:

I don't think I've ever successfully treated a fish in a QT tank, ever. Not that I've done it that much. I usually don't have much success in actually seeing the problem, finding the fish, getting him out of the tank into the QT but the few times I have, they ALWAYS die!!

Ugh, so frustrating. I LOVED that fish. And how the hell did he get popeye in the first place??? Arggghhhh!!! :sad::sad:

I have never lost a fish in a quarantine tank...but then again if they have health issues once they are placed in the display they are on their own so maybe I haven't lost a fish in quarantine becausee they start out basically healthy

targa81
10-26-2009, 03:45 PM
I've had the same experience with fish dying when you remove them from the display tank. I think that when they are already sick and you add the stress of catching and removing them that finishes them off. I've found QT most useful with new arrivals to prevent others from getting sick. My fish occasionally get Ich and my Blueface had ane eye infection but both instances were cleared up by attention to water quality and maybe my UV.

globaldesigns
10-26-2009, 03:57 PM
I don't quarantine anything... and must say that I haven't had any real issues. I guess I am just lucky.

Lance
10-26-2009, 04:37 PM
IMO removing a sick fish from the DT is not a bad idea. Firstly it may stop the spread of illness to other fish. Secondly, the ailing fish will probably get picked on by others. Thirdly, if the fish is ill it is already stressed, and at least by placing it in a QT you can treat it appropriately.

kien
10-26-2009, 04:46 PM
QT'ing is one of those religeous debates. Some swear by them some swear against them. If we polled we'd probably find it a 50/50 debate. QT'ing has never worked for me for any illnesses I've contracted so I gave up on it years ago..

A few years ago I used to have yellow striped snapper that swam very quickly round and round the tank. He would actually swim very close to rocks and my urchin. One day He got popeye, I suspected that he hit his eye on something, like maybe the urchin or a rock and it got infected. I left him in there. No one else got it. His eye eventually fell out and he lived with one eye for a year until he outgrew my tank and I sold him. One eye Willy is still alive and well in a buddy's predator tank.

sphelps
Quarantines can be useful for new purchases to help them adapt to aquarium life and allow for initial observation to prevent disease and pests from entering the display. However the quarantine still needs to be of adequate size for whatever species and fully established, meaning it runs all the time and not just setup when you need it. Removing fish from the display to a quarantine should be a last resort.

Popeye is not usually a killer, more than likely the stress involved caused the fish not to eat and then moving it put the stress level over the top resulting in death. I've seen popeye many times, I just leave it alone. More often than not the fish recovers completely, worst case is they loose vision in the one eye but still survive, very rarely do I see a fish die from it and if this is the case it's usually a result from no longer being able to compete for food with the new disability.

ponokareefer

That sucks to hear about your bad luck. I set up a quarantine tank a while ago, and happy I did as some fish have gotten sick in the quarantine tank prior to going into the display. If the quarantine tank isn't set up appropriately, they can be worse than the display tank. You should use a tank of at least 20% of the size of your display tank. So, if you've got a 100 gallon tank, you should have a quarantine tank of at least 20 gallons.
There definitely is stress on the fish when you remove them from the main tank and into the quarantine, but better the one fish dies than all the fish in your main system.

mike31154
10-26-2009, 04:47 PM
I have tempted fate by not quarantining new additions but have been fortunate so far. Haven't added anything in quite some time now, so figure I'm safe. However, one of the first inhabitants of my system over two and a half years ago has recently developed two bulbous, cancerous looking growths on his caudal fin, close to where it merges into the body. Started as one little ball now there are two fairly large growths. It's a Blue Devil Damsel, despised by many but supposedly very hardy. I've always liked the electric blue colour and despite his occasional aggression, I never had any real problems with him. Most of his tank mates now outmuscle him anyhow, so he's not much of a problem at all.

So what do I do with this guy? Although I have the equipment to set up a QT, I highly doubt I can catch him so it's unlikely I'll be able to quarantine him anyway. Really don't relish the idea of tearing the rockwork apart to try and capture the dude. Other than these ugly growths on the fin, he acts perfectly normal, eats well, swims well, no behavioural changes whatsoever since he's developed this disease. I am somewhat concerned that whatever he has may end up infecting other fish, but so far no sign of that either.

banditpowdercoat
10-26-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't have a QY+TR either. Just lost 5 fish due to an Ick outbreak in one tank, and possibly the same in the other?? 5 fish in one tank, 1 in the other, and a 2nd came down with white spots (regal Tang) but the spots have dissapeared. I dunno if a QT tank would have helped? I too agree on the added stress of catching(which can be stress on owner too) and the new tank. Is not the best for the fish. Making the present aquarium as peacefull as can be, removing bullies, lights out, etc. Problem is treating with chemicals in a DT. I am soo petrified of killing my inverts and corals too, that I don't use anything.

christyf5
10-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Well his eyes were soo poofed out I was worried he'd lose both of them if he survived. They were both severely swollen.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever lost a fish if I QT on the way in (which I don't, haven't in years anyways due to lack of space) it was just a matter of do I take him out now and try to help him, or let him be in the tank possibly getting stuck in the rocks to rot if he croaks?

Oh well, I suppose I could have treated the whole tank. From what I read it was poor water quality that likely triggered it (although I'm not really sure wth that means). I have rampant green cyano and the cure for it is the same as what was supposed to cure the fish: erythromycin.

fishytime
10-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Sorry about your fish Christy:neutral:. We grossly underestimate the stress putting a net to a fish causes. I compare it to hooking the fish with a rod and reel. Conservationists and wildlife officers have long known that a small percentage of properly released game fish die from a build up of stress induced lactic acid. Fish simply cant get rid of LA like warm blooded creatures. When you go in and try and net a fish you are not only stressing your "target" fish, but every other fish in the tank as well. Then if your fish survives the QT treatment process, you stress him out again catching him and putting him back in the display.

RuGlu6
10-26-2009, 06:10 PM
QT for new fish YES!
QT for the ones that in the display tank NO! too much stress + infection+net scratching

mark
10-26-2009, 06:35 PM
I've done the QT thing and lost fish as well. First time believe was a NH3 spike (can rise surprisingly fast) on a newly set up QT.

Last time I tried QT was for a new fish. I placed a Potters in my 20g fuge that had been set up for awhile. I isolated it from the display (thought if something did show up, would just toss the macro), added a heater, SS65, monitored ammonia and still the fish died after about 3 weeks.

Really believe in the idea of the QT, just not having much luck with them.

aussiefishy
10-26-2009, 06:35 PM
The QT issue should NOT be up for debate. It should be used for all new livestock and existing wounded/sick specimen Period.

The poped-eye sickness was induced due to environmental stress factors. ie: existing wound on eye, chemical imbalance in saltwater causing immunodeficiencies at the eye site. the best way to treat poped eye, in my opinion, is to use freshwater dips.

certainly, there will be additional stress induced to the specimen when catching it. but on the contrary, what is the chances for the fish to survive without intervention?

My experience tells me it is far, far cheaper to have a new or wounded specimen die in your QT than watching your main tank inhabitants die off one after another slowly.

The QT have saved me so much money in the past 5 years, that i am convinced this is the best practice to be employed at all times.

globaldesigns
10-26-2009, 07:01 PM
I agree but also disagree on the use of a QT...

In my case, I buy my fish solely from one person now... This LFS is setup in such a way that he doesn't sell a fish before its time... This store treats where necessary, but also makes sure that the fish is healthy and eating before leaving... For example, he won't let no angel leave before 2-3 weeks, Morish Idols, he is very good at getting them to eat pellets... He has probably the best success rate for keeping fish alive after giving them to the customer.

You all may know who this LFS is in Calgary... But because of his practices I don't do the QT, this allows me to invest more $$$, time and the space for the main system.

If you don't have the luxury that I have with purchasing livestock, then I can see a QT being beneficial for new purchases.

Just my 2 cents.

christyf5
10-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Sorry about your fish Christy:neutral:. We grossly underestimate the stress putting a net to a fish causes. I compare it to hooking the fish with a rod and reel. Conservationists and wildlife officers have long known that a small percentage of properly released game fish die from a build up of stress induced lactic acid. Fish simply cant get rid of LA like warm blooded creatures. When you go in and try and net a fish you are not only stressing your "target" fish, but every other fish in the tank as well. Then if your fish survives the QT treatment process, you stress him out again catching him and putting him back in the display.

Oh I totally agree, however in this case he was just laying there. The process of netting the fish (from the outside observer) was fairly easy and uneventful. However, he perked up after transfer to the QT and looked quite stressed before eventually settling down (into eventual death I suppose). I dunno, sometimes I believe that QT tanks are just ammonia factories and I really believe that between the ammonia (I didn't test it) and the stress of the new environment likely caused his demise. Then again, he was just laying there in the display tank too. Ultimately we can only speculate.

fishoholic
10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
I have mixed feelings, for most things I suspect QT is more stressful on the fish then the QT med.'s or hypo is good for them. I lost a tang that was eating and looking ok and was 2 years old but he had ich. My other fish were stressing him out so a freind agreed to take him after the ich was gone. I Qt'd him and did a hypo treatment for a few weeks, the fish was stressed out the whole time and towards the end he stopped eating. The last day of QT and we were going to take him to our friends tank I came home from work to a dead fish :sad:

On the other hand if I had started QT earlier (or QT'd new fish in the first place) when I went through the marine velevt I most likely would of been able to save most of my fish. Instead I left it too long (because I didn't like QT) and had most of my fish die.

StirCrazy
10-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Quarenteedning a fish that is already in the system is a waist of time and usaly what kills them. sorry for being blunt.

the purpose is to use them befor you put the fish into the tank so you know you are not bringing anything forgen into your system, if you get a fish that is sick in your display, usaly by the time you see it it is to lait to treat as Christy found out. so now you take a fish that is compromised and chase it around, move it into a new enviorment and what happens..

Most of the time if they fish is going to recover the display will be the best place for it to do so, if it is going to die, it will and it will provide food for the worms and such as in a thriving reef, I would be surprised to ever see a fish that dies in the night again.

Personaly I don't quarenteen on the way into the display tank either as the fish are the secondary objects in my tank and I keep a very low fish load, so if something happens it usaly isn't a big deal as I don't keep anything real exotic. my 90 for example had a tang, 6 chromis, a flame angel, and... I can't remember if there was anything else in it for the last couple years..

now for people who go out and spend 3 or 400 on a fish.. hell ya quarenteen for a month :mrgreen:, but I just can't be bothered to keep a temp tank around for the once and a while I might buy a fish.

Steve

MitchM
10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
I'll use a QT tank if I'm going to be treating with hyposalinity - that's it.

If I'm buying a new fish (which I haven't for a number of years now), I'll make sure it's been in the LFS tank for a few weeks, and that I know how the LFS tanks are maintained.

IME, popeye has always gone away on it's own and a few water changes probably helped out.

Mitch

dsaundry
10-29-2009, 05:16 AM
I use my Qt tank when I aquire a new fish etc, i will watch it for about a week and then introduce it to the regular tank, any fish I have had that has shown any signs of illness is usually too far gone to be saved. But I won't usually introduce a new fish until I have seen how it goes for about a week or so.