PDA

View Full Version : Tank Builders

rjengen
10-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Hey guys, new to the site & SW...a vet with FW (for what ever that's worth :redface:) Anyways...First things first I guess and a tank is on the top of the list. I've thought about converting one of my FW tanks, but I can't bring myself to tearing down a tank and displacing my buddies, they're happy and that's all a guy could ask for. I'm looking for a 70-90g main, and plan on building a sump myself, so...who do you guys recommend in town for tanks that are reef ready...ei: easy to get along with, fair price, and (God forbid) straight up warranties on their craftmenship. I'm in Grande Prairie, planning on comming down next week or so to pick it up, so if you guys could save me travel time running around the city checking everyone out it would be much appreciated. Thanks, and I hope to have a journal started on the build soon!

noirsphynx
10-25-2009, 03:01 PM
I've gone through Aquarium Illusions (http://www.aquariumillusions.com/) more than once.

Richer
10-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Check out Marine Aquaria. I've seen quite a few of the custom tanks they've built for their customers and have always been impressed by the workmanship.

Dez
10-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Check out Marine Aquaria. I've seen quite a few of the custom tanks they've built for their customers and have always been impressed by the workmanship.

+1, and welcome to Canreef.

Parker
10-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Check out Marine Aquaria.

I've gone through Aquarium Illusions (http://www.aquariumillusions.com/) more than once.

Both use the same tank builder - Concept Aquariums - Concept does great work, I'm very pleased with my tank. Make sure you get quote from both Marine Aquaria and Aquarium Illusion. No point in paying more when they are built by the same people.

rjengen
10-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Both use the same tank builder - Concept Aquariums - Concept does great work, I'm very pleased with my tank. Make sure you get quote from both Marine Aquaria and Aquarium Illusion. No point in paying more when they are built by the same people.

Good to know...asked for a quote from both stores so hopefully I can get the ball rolling for my trip down there.

Dez, I just finished going through your tank build, you have some great idea's man, total inspiration man! The boss lady is going to hate me with what I have brewing in my head

Dez
10-25-2009, 10:20 PM

Actually I am quite sure this has changed as of quite recently. I don't think Concept Aquariums exists anymore. So now the tanks are made by different people. Talk to Josh at Marine Aquaria. He's a super nice guy.

Dez
10-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Dez, I just finished going through your tank build, you have some great idea's man, total inspiration man! The boss lady is going to hate me with what I have brewing in my head

Thanks. Any questions, feel free to PM me. I've learned a lot from the great people from this board along with other research. But the combined experience from others is second to none. Welcome again to Canreef.

Boomboy
10-25-2009, 11:28 PM
AI prices on tanks are ridiculously overpriced you can build your own for cheaper than going through them, they had a smaller cube and its was on sale for 1200 normally 1500 i got mine for 400 dollars. not even close. yes building yourself is kinda scary but just look around, but other than that i would definatly go with Marine Aquaria instead.

Parker
10-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Actually I am quite sure this has changed as of quite recently. I don't think Concept Aquariums exists anymore. So now the tanks are made by different people. Talk to Josh at Marine Aquaria. He's a super nice guy.

I didn't know things had changed.. Thanks for the heads up and correcting me Dez.

mseepman
10-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Okay...now I'm starting to get stressed...I've been trying to prepare for ordering a custom tank and after researching things like crazy, I came to the conclusion to use one of either Aquarium Obsessed in Toronto or Concepts in Edmonton. Both quoted on the tank directly to me (no LFS involved) and now I hear that both have closed shop.

When did Concepts close? Why? Any info would be great!

Dez
10-26-2009, 04:38 AM
Okay...now I'm starting to get stressed...I've been trying to prepare for ordering a custom tank and after researching things like crazy, I came to the conclusion to use one of either Aquarium Obsessed in Toronto or Concepts in Edmonton. Both quoted on the tank directly to me (no LFS involved) and now I hear that both have closed shop.

When did Concepts close? Why? Any info would be great!

Sent PM

Rahim101
10-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Concept Aquriums has closed thier doors for good.
They are ordering ALL thier tanks from Bow Valley Aquariums in Calgary.

eugene
10-26-2009, 06:15 PM
i dont claim to know of the cheapest places around but there is a little store on the northwest side of edmonton called aquarium designs unlimited. all the tanks that they make are made from acrylic so they give a lifetime warranty on them. the guys who are in there are pretty easy going and fun to deal with. i really like to stop by and see what new stuff they bring in every once and awhile.:razz::biggrin:

Ryan
10-26-2009, 07:58 PM
After spending all that money for their new building that surprises me they closed up shop.

sphelps
10-26-2009, 08:04 PM
After spending all that money for their new building that surprises me they closed up shop.
Doesn't surprise me :nono:
They started out with high potential but I think the higher price combined with garbage service and warranty honor may have played a small role, I know a few very dissatisfied customers.

rjengen, if you're just looking for a standard RR tank just check out the local stores in Edmonton, almost all of them should have a few setups in the range you're looking for. Big Als, Aquarium Illusions, and even chain stores like Petland to name a few. Shouldn't have a problem finding what you need off the shelf, you don't need to have one custom made.

eugene
10-26-2009, 08:25 PM
aquarium designs doesnt use either of those companies for their tanks i think the company is called tenecor

Dez
10-26-2009, 09:17 PM
aquarium designs doesnt use either of those companies for their tanks i think the company is called tenecor

Marine Aquaria also uses Tenecor for acrylic tanks. They can do custom as well!

rjengen
10-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Just an update for you guys...First thanks for the inputs. I got in touch with Kevin at Red Coral in Calgary (16hr round trip to pick this tank up when it's ready...yikes!!!) and he's going to be putting the tank together for me. I was a little picky about the size of the tank, but other then that I've given him pretty much a clean canvans to work off of...in otherwords...make it look nice!

It's going to be a 75g (ish) with starphire front, eurobraced top, polished and beveled corners. Bottom is going to be drilled for the sump, and a closed loops system, and the back will be tinted black. So here's to my happy dance :lol:

lorenz0
10-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Good choice for the shop your going with. I purchased my custom from red coral a year ago and am very happy with the quality of the tank. Sounds like your getting almost exactly what I purchased but taller (i went 48x18x16) and with all the same features. Two things i would suggest is black silicone being used and get an external overflow rather than an internal which i wish i did. Its worth the trip and i am sure you will be happy with the tank. here are a few pictures of what your tank will look like (but taller):

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/lorenz000/IMG_0007-4.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/lorenz000/IMG_0004-3.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/lorenz000/IMG_0005-2.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/lorenz000/IMG_0004-4.jpg

rjengen
10-29-2009, 06:39 PM
That's so funny, I was sent pictures of your tank as an example the other day from kevin...I dig it man!

Ryan
10-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Just an update for you guys...First thanks for the inputs. I got in touch with Kevin at Red Coral in Calgary (16hr round trip to pick this tank up when it's ready...yikes!!!) and he's going to be putting the tank together for me. I was a little picky about the size of the tank, but other then that I've given him pretty much a clean canvans to work off of...in otherwords...make it look nice!

It's going to be a 75g (ish) with starphire front, eurobraced top, polished and beveled corners. Bottom is going to be drilled for the sump, and a closed loops system, and the back will be tinted black. So here's to my happy dance :lol:

I used to live in GP as well. I would make trips to edmonton and sometimes calgary so I feel your pain. If you can make a 2 or 3 day trip its worth hitting up all the stores down here just to look around.

lorenz0
10-29-2009, 08:40 PM
That's so funny, I was sent pictures of your tank as an example the other day from kevin...I dig it man!

thanks, but trust me when i say that the external overflow is worth it. unless you put it in the corner aquascaping is a huge pain in the butt and you need something to add flow for those corners.

I do plan on getting another tank built and will be going back to kevin for it

eugene
10-29-2009, 09:58 PM
:razz::razz::razz:it looks like you have already made your decision. congrats. i spoke with my cousin in st paul last night about the store aquarium designs that i had mentioned in a previous post, what he told me was that concept aquariums and aquarium illusions were the same company, and that aquarium designs told him that they have a lowest price guarantee especially when dealing with tenecor tanks. i guess they gave him direct pricing from tenecor and on top of that looked after the fees and stuff so my cousin would have actually spent more going to tenecor directly. he was saying that the guys at aquarium designs went as far as getting a tenecor rep on the phone while he was in there to get prices and auarium designs matched the price got him a bunch of extra stuff and shipped it to him in st paul. he couldnt say enough good about these guys so i am going to check it out myself. it sounds like the best deal out there to me. anyways i know you have already made a decision but since i paid for a long distance phone call i figured that i would post the information that i found out. maybe it can help in future purchases. if your like me i work for my money so if i can get a better deal on what i think is a better product ....
anyways congrats i gotta admit im a little jealous it looks like a reallt nice tank from the pics that were posted of the tank like yours.

busypencil
11-03-2009, 05:28 AM
Aquarium Illusions are having their sales soon check with them.