PDA

View Full Version : LF "rare" zoo's

Jordan_Oreo
09-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey, I am looking to add to my collection of zoo's . I am looking to buy some of the more "rare" ones. If anyone has any for sale please PM me.
Thanks

mseepman
09-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Have you taken a look at www.wickedfrags.com

They are a sponsor here and everyone says they have great products and cust. service.

moppy
09-18-2009, 09:24 PM
I just wanted to say that these guys (although they have really nice prodcuts and good service) are WAY< WAY< WAY overpricing their stuff and we need to stop paying these ridiculous prices. Taking a colony that was bought for $20 and breaking it into 20 pieces and charging $30 per frag is a big rip off. Just thought we should start taking a bit of a stand as prices are going up fast because we are willing to pay it, not because it's worth it.

note: this is about wicked frags at all, it's a lot of the dealers that are over charging for frags

Atomikk
09-18-2009, 10:06 PM
moppy,

These colonies are not bought for just 20$. Trust me, I know the ins and outs of this. I am not going to go into the specifics, but most online retailers do not pay those prices, and then chop-shop them into a million frags.

Prices are actually normal and not inflated. If you want to look at inflated prices, venture to any online vendor in the USA. It is not even close.

sphelps
09-18-2009, 10:14 PM
I just wanted to say that these guys (although they have really nice prodcuts and good service) are WAY< WAY< WAY overpricing their stuff and we need to stop paying these ridiculous prices. Taking a colony that was bought for $20 and breaking it into 20 pieces and charging $30 per frag is a big rip off. Just thought we should start taking a bit of a stand as prices are going up fast because we are willing to pay it, not because it's worth it.

note: this is about wicked frags at all, it's a lot of the dealers that are over charging for frags
Do everyone a favor and stick to the $20 colonies of brown zoos if that's all you need, but don't bash good vendors who provide true collectors with the products they desire. It's not overpriced if someone buys it, simple as that.

edikpok
09-18-2009, 11:56 PM
I will have to agree with moppy. Some of the prices are way overcharged - for example $7 for 1 polyp of zoanthid???? Yes, it is pretty but $7???

You see people here selling full colonies for cheaper than some of their frags...

Binare
09-19-2009, 12:28 AM
If you want it buy it, if you don't then don't... Its that simple. I want to buy a new bmw m5, can I afford it? No. Am I gonna sit here and get mad cause its overpriced? I could but what's the point? Will I pay 7 per polyp? Yup if its what I want, if not, then no... Its that simple ;)

bignose
09-19-2009, 02:01 AM
My last order was expensive but my frags were amazing. They were ~30-$45 per frag which sounds expensive but I'll definately buy there again.

edikpok
09-19-2009, 03:49 AM
I don't really know about "moppy" but I am not getting mad...I am just giving my opinion....I just do not see why chargin so much for small frags.... Needless to say that some of the frags on their website look beautiful though!

Drock169
09-19-2009, 07:37 AM
I must admit, i've paid lots for some of the frags I've purchased, and I've had some of those frags die. But if you really want something you end up paying for it, I spent 225 for 1 frag plus shipping years ago and dont regret it at all, I still have the coral and its still my favourite. If I want a frag and I think there price is reasonable I'll pay it. If i think its too expensive then I wont buy it and cross my fingers something similiar pops up at the LFS.

moppy
09-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Yup, it's also just my opinion and I don't buy those rip-off frags but I have to tell you, I know what people are paying for a lot (maybe not all) of their zoas and what they are reselling them for and it is far too much. Sure, if you want to pay that much, go for it, doesn't mean it isn't overpriced.

Looking at the responses to my opinion, it is fairly obvious why people are overpricing yet still selling a lot of their zoas. Hope it still OK to state my opinion (based on price facts that I KNOW!).

whatcaneyedo
09-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Its all marketing: fancy names, descriptions and back stories. I sell a lot of frags locally of this colony (it grows like a bad weed) which I call "Doug's Zoa's" because I got them from a local guy named Doug. I ask between $5 and $10 for 10-30 polyps. Or you can buy something that looks exactally the same to me from one of the online dealers called Sunshine Zoas for $5 per polyp. I've got a lot more examples if anyone wants to hear them...

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/zoas.jpg

Zoaelite
09-19-2009, 08:04 PM
If you want fantastic zoa frags then I would say Wickedfrags is the way to go if your willing to spend the money (Quality isn't cheep). That or keep an eye out for members selling zoas on here (Have to be open for shipping as most members here are from Western Canada). That being said, I'm low on my frag stock and will be cutting some new ones right away here. Search up my posts I have tones of photos of the colonies, possibly there's something that interests you (and no my frags are not $45.00 per).
EDIT- http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55482 Here's a few of them under actinics, since this photo I have aquired another 7 colonies.
Levi

UnderTheSea
09-19-2009, 09:18 PM
LOL people complaining about $7 per polyp. Have a look around and you will see a variety priced over $20 / polyp. It's all supply and demand.

$20 / colony?

I purchased 2 colonies of African Blue zoas each at $150

For what it is worth, ask the company you are purchasing from if the frags are from grow outs or they are cutting into the mother colony.

intarsiabox
09-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Retailers will sell their products for as much as the market will support, they are in business to make a profit otherwise they wouldn't be in business for very long. Fellow reefers are in it for the pleasure and the challenge of growing new colonies. So if you can find a group of people to trade or buy from then everyone saves a little money and you get a more varied collection. Not to say that I don't buy from retailers because they always have something I just can't pass up!