PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for Aiptasia Control?

subman
09-15-2009, 03:32 AM
There have been a couple aiptasia threads so I thought it would be a good time for a poll!

1. Commercially available Solutions
2. Home remedies
3. Biological control

I was going to list all the different methods and animals but I thought the comments section would work well for that.

fkshiu
09-15-2009, 03:34 AM
Kalk slurry and peppermint shrimp.

mark
09-15-2009, 03:35 AM
Kalk paste made with Mysis juice for the ones I can reach, Peppermint shrimp for the ones I can't.

Had some frag plugs with the little buggers and a little micro torch got them.

naesco
09-15-2009, 03:44 AM
100% success with peppermint shrimp
Just make sure they are peppeermint shrimp and that you acclimate them slowly by the drip method for at least an hour.

ILIKECOUGARS
09-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Try Bergia nudibranches, added 3 to the tank, never to see them again. Then added 4 Peppermint Shrimps which did the job. I would recommend Pepperment Shrimps to eliminate and to control Aiptasia.

Jason McK
09-17-2009, 12:52 AM
I picked all 4 as I think you need to stay on your toes and try everything

J

intarsiabox
09-17-2009, 02:03 AM
Kalk to get the visible ones then added peppermint shrimp and have never seen aiptasia in the tank since.

JPotter
09-17-2009, 04:36 AM
How many peppermint shrimp per water volume or rock amount? I had no noticeable luck with the shrimp..I think all are gone now. Perhaps I had too few.
Has anyone had any success with Berghia?

pelle31
09-18-2009, 12:36 PM
So has anyone used Sodium Hydroxide?

JPotter
09-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I expect any strong acid or base would knock back the anenome..as does very hot water and very hyper/hopotonic saline. The issue seems to be keeping the overall concentration of what you are using low enough and directed acurately enough to not upset or kill other things in the tank plus the issue that "spot" killing is not getting them all so the population continues. What we do chemically/physically is rather like aiming at population control by eliminating all that go through the doors of starbucks and macdonalds...seems like a lot but in reality only a drop in the bucket:(

pelle31
09-18-2009, 04:15 PM
I've never really had an aptasia outbreak,but have had some come in on Rock that was bought here locally. I can't remember the dosage but as I work industrial and we have sodium hydroxide about,I brought some home and mixed it up and nailed those little bastrds with a needle. IME it killed them stone cold dead and they didn't come back! I have used it on rock inside and outside of the tank. No ill effects were seen in the tank as well. Although I did it before I did my WC.

JPotter
09-18-2009, 11:26 PM
If you "mixed it up" what was the concentration? Even if it works I couldn't reach 1/2 of the critters and that is of the ones I can actually see.

pelle31
09-18-2009, 11:57 PM
If you "mixed it up" what was the concentration? Even if it works I couldn't reach 1/2 of the critters and that is of the ones I can actually see.

As I stated above I can't remember off hand what the ratio of water to Hydroxide to use.
I'm sure I have it one of my binders in storage...I'll have to look for it. So you couldn't reach yours.....so how does that translate into "even if it works". Is what your saying it doesn't work?

intarsiabox
09-19-2009, 01:40 AM
The recipe I use with lots of success is:

1 tsp Calcium Hydroxide
2 tbls water
Boil for 40 sec in microwave.
That's it!

pelle31
09-19-2009, 02:07 AM
The recipe I use with lots of success is:

1 tsp Calcium Hydroxide
2 tbls water
Boil for 40 sec in microwave.
That's it!

I think I may have used this one you posted myself. I know there was another one that called for a spice jar and 1 or 2 tablespoons and there was no need to heat,the Hydroxide would heat it up itself. Thanks for posting that recipe!!

intarsiabox
09-19-2009, 04:17 AM
I don't know if the heat is required but I do it anyway just before I squirt the little buggers. I think maybe that because the liquid is boiling hot that it helps kill the aiptasia as well?

dawen
09-19-2009, 04:52 AM
i had a HUGE outbreak, all my rocks were covered with those darn pests, i think it was at least thousands of them, my rocks seems like they were growing hairs,, i use 5 peppermint shrimps (the ones i got from kevin red coral) and i got one copperband, it rid of all my aiptasia from all rocks in 2 weeks