PDA

View Full Version : Epic Build, The 750 monster

Pages : [1] 2

Mrfish55
09-12-2009, 05:28 PM
And so it begins, I recently scored a screaming deal on a complete 750 gal FOWLR set-up (1000 gal total volume including sump), included all equipment and even 30+ very nice fish. All the specifics will follow, but first better get pics up before the lynch mob strikes.

Still wrapped from the trip home, but this
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2305.jpg

Is going to go here
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2306.jpg

The tank measures 96lx60wx30h 1" cellcast acylic.

Don't blink, this will go quick as all the livestock along with 400lbs sand and 700lbs LR are currently in temporary holding facilities and need to get back to the big tank ASAP. Demo for the install will start this afternoon.

christyf5
09-12-2009, 05:38 PM
oooh so exciting!!!! We'll have to have another meeting of the Powell River Hardcore Reefers Club. Now this is truly hardcore! :wink:

Can we get a fish list?:biggrin:

PuffLuv
09-12-2009, 05:38 PM
WOW!:shocked!:Can't wait to see it setup!!

JDigital
09-12-2009, 05:59 PM
WHOA!! That looks like a BIG BIG BIG tank... Shame it will only be a FOWLR :wink:

Tom R
09-12-2009, 06:00 PM
This is very exciting

and if it doesn't work out the tank will make a very nice hot tub.

Good luck

Tom R

subman
09-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Don't fowlr's always end up reef's?
:lol:

banditpowdercoat
09-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Both mine seem to be heading that way....

Myka
09-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Oh nice!! I see NO shame in a 750 gallon FOWLR! I wouldn't mind a big FOWLR, but there is no part of me that wants a big reef! :eek:

bignose
09-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Can't wait to see this! Any details on the equipment?

marie
09-12-2009, 08:24 PM
If you need extra salt water when you put this thing together I have approx 60g of new salt water heated and ready to use

Mrfish55
09-12-2009, 09:09 PM

I would love to have a reef this big, however the fish that will be residing in it would make short work of any corals.

Can't wait to see this! Any details on the equipment?

Details to follow shortly, I still have to inventory all that came with it and figure out what will be used.

If you need extra salt water when you put this thing together I have approx 60g of new salt water heated and ready to use

Thanks, I have enough salt to do the changeover, should only need around 300 gal to make it work.

Mrfish55
09-12-2009, 09:21 PM
oooh so exciting!!!! We'll have to have another meeting of the Powell River Hardcore Reefers Club. Now this is truly hardcore! :wink:

Can we get a fish list?:biggrin:

Off hand, the livestock consists of:
1 very large French Angel
1 very large Unicorn Tang
1 Queen Angel
1 stunning Blue Face Angel
1 Asfur Angel
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Hippo Tang
1 Purple Tang
1 Harlquin Tusk
2 Royal Gramma
1 Black Cap Basselet
1 Very large I haven`t looked it up yet
1 Cleaner Wrasse
1 large Bird Wrasse
1 Long Nose Butterfly
2 Don`t know butterfly
4 Green chromis
6 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Flame Angel
1 Flame back Angel
1 Hawkfish

I think there may be a few others that are in hiding right now and all fish are mature, large and some of the nicest looking specimens I have seen, the only two with issues are the Hippo Tang and Long nose Butterfly (Lateral line issues)

Kryptic4L
09-12-2009, 10:18 PM
i blinked is it done yet?

Lance
09-12-2009, 10:57 PM
1 Queen Angel
1 Asfur Angel
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Hippo Tang
1 Purple Tang
1 Harlquin Tusk
2 Royal Gramma
1 Black Cap Basselet
1 Cleaner Wrasse
1 large Bird Wrasse
1 Long Nose Butterfly
2 Don`t know butterfly
4 Green chromis
6 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Flame Angel
1 Flame back Angel
1 Hawkfish

TOO COOL!!!

Call me when you need some help. I'm off until Tuesday.

Mrfish55
09-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Just working out the reno plan, no activity tomorrow as it is my loving wifes birthday and I best make it special! I will be going full at it Monday.

geobee
09-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Congrats on the new tank i would love to have a FOWLR that size, the fish you could put in a tank that size are gorgeous and worthy as the focal point. Are you going to be using sunlight from the window as your lighting?

Mrfish55
09-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Congrats on the new tank i would love to have a FOWLR that size, the fish you could put in a tank that size are gorgeous and worthy as the focal point. Are you going to be using sunlight from the window as your lighting?

No, the window is comming out and the tank is going in, there is a concrete patio with a sundeck above just outside the window I will be closing in a
8x12' section to create a fishroom, technically the tank will be sitting outside the house (also gives the piece of mind that in the event of catastophic failure the 1000gals will be outside and not fill my basement) I will probably install a small window just for ventilation but there will be no natural light for the tank.

fishytime
09-13-2009, 01:45 AM
:shocked!::crazyeye: 1000g eeek! best start makin RO now:lol:Sweet tank man....very envious....

marie
09-13-2009, 01:50 AM
1 Queen Angel
1 Asfur Angel
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Hippo Tang
1 Purple Tang
1 Harlquin Tusk
2 Royal Gramma
1 Black Cap Basselet
1 Cleaner Wrasse
1 large Bird Wrasse
1 Long Nose Butterfly
2 Don`t know butterfly
4 Green chromis
6 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Flame Angel
1 Flame back Angel
1 Hawkfish

I think there may be a few others that are in hiding right now and all fish are mature, large and some of the nicest looking specimens I have seen, the only two with issues are the Hippo Tang and Long nose Butterfly (Lateral line issues)

I don't see any fish on that list that the clarkii's couldn't keep from bothering a large anemone :biggrin:

sharuq1
09-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Wow!!!! I can't wait to see it all up and running.

Mrfish55
09-13-2009, 02:06 AM
I don't see any fish on that list that the clarkii's couldn't keep from bothering a large anemone :biggrin:

If you get rid of those guys what are you going to put in the tank? If you really want rid of them I am sure I can find some space, after all I am dealing with 40sq ft of real estate :shocked: You need to stop by and have a look at this thing it's crazy, can't wait to get it in the wall.

Mrfish55
09-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Wow!!!! I can't wait to see it all up and running.

It was an easy sell once I saw it last week all set up, took all of 10 seconds to seal that deal, I have a few small changes in mind regarding how the equipment will be plumbed. If all goes well I should have it back up and running with the fish back in by next weekend.

marie
09-13-2009, 02:17 AM
If you get rid of those guys what are you going to put in the tank? If you really want rid of them I am sure I can find some space, after all I am dealing with 40sq ft of real estate :shocked: You need to stop by and have a look at this thing it's crazy, can't wait to get it in the wall.

Let me put it this way, if you don't want them they are going to Bobs.

I want to clean up the cube tank and put some of the corals and rock that are in the 175 into the cube tank... making more room for new corals and maybe a bit more swimming room for the fish

I might just stop in monday to have a look....your going to have to start charging an admission fee to your basement :lol:

sitandwatch
09-13-2009, 02:33 AM
Where the heck is Powell River? I need to see this and show the wife and kids.

Good luck it looks like it will be awsome!!

Delphinus
09-13-2009, 03:29 AM
That is an awesome plan to have the tank sit outside like that and then build walls around it to make a fishroom. How cold does it get in winter for you guys?

Mrfish55
09-13-2009, 03:56 AM
Let me put it this way, if you don't want them they are going to Bobs.

I want to clean up the cube tank and put some of the corals and rock that are in the 175 into the cube tank... making more room for new corals and maybe a bit more swimming room for the fish

I might just stop in monday to have a look....your going to have to start charging an admission fee to your basement :lol:

Good idea 2 drink minimum:lol:

Where the heck is Powell River? I need to see this and show the wife and kids.

Good luck it looks like it will be awsome!!

100 miles north of Vancouver, an easy 19 hour drive:lol: you are more than welcome to stop by if you are ever in the area.

That is an awesome plan to have the tank sit outside like that and then build walls around it to make a fishroom. How cold does it get in winter for you guys?

This is the easy way for me to make it work, no taking up room in the house and eliminating the humidity issue that comes with this kind of water volume, we don't get really cold winters, the room will be well insulated and properly ventilated.

marie
09-13-2009, 04:09 AM

Lets just say if the temp drops below -5C everyone's whining and complaining about how cold it is and the stores suddenly sell out of long johns :lol:

fishoholic
09-13-2009, 04:32 AM
WOW can't wait to see it up and running. Also glad I don't have to do the water changes for it! :razz:

Mrfish55
09-13-2009, 05:16 AM
WOW can't wait to see it up and running. Also glad I don't have to do the water changes for it! :razz:

Water changes shouldn't be a problem, I will just use the water from the reef when I do that one.

ALBERTA REEF
09-13-2009, 05:30 AM
Apparently you have a very understanding wife to let you get away with a tank that size. This going to be a good thread to fellow along. Good luck! :biggrin:

Mrfish55
09-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Apparently you have a very understanding wife to let you get away with a tank that size. This going to be a good thread to fellow along. Good luck! :biggrin:

I was surprised at how encouraging she was when I mentioned it, I will get moving tomorrow with renos and I better get some more pics up, allready on page 4 and only two pics :doh:

Lance
09-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Happy Birthday Lynn! "Bonne Fete"

Mrfish55
09-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Happy Birthday Lynn! "Bonne Fete"

She says thanks:biggrin:

Mrfish55
09-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Couple shots of the skimmer in action, this was cleaned yesterday morning, I am getting about three cups of liquid stench per 24hrs.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2308.jpg
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2309.jpg

And here is the frankensump hooked up to temporary holding tank, very ghetto.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2310.jpg

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Water changes shouldn't be a problem, I will just use the water from the reef when I do that one.

Good idea. That's how I recycle my reef water change through my fowlr/softie tank.

Anthony

Parker
09-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Looks like it's going to be an amazing set-up!

Keep the updates coming...

marie
09-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Couple shots of the skimmer in action, this was cleaned yesterday morning, I am getting about three cups of liquid stench per 24hrs.

I think you might need to crank the skimmer up a bit, I'm getting nearly 3 cups in a 24hr period

Skimmerking
09-13-2009, 09:20 PM
oh start a new tank when I go away, thanks man.

Mrfish55
09-13-2009, 09:32 PM
oh start a new tank when I go away, thanks man.

I promise to post lots of pics just for you, when do you go? this should be up and running by next weekend.

Lance
09-14-2009, 04:25 AM

I may have to take my two tanks and leave town. I'm being out-hardcored badly. Dave now has about 1500 gals of saltwater and Marie grows SPS faster than the Indo-Pacific!
I can't compete anymore. :sad:
I should find a nice little town where I can start a new Hardcore Reefers Club.

Hmmmmmm. President of the "Buttville Hardcore Reefers Club."
Kinda has a nice ring to it.

mseepman
09-14-2009, 04:32 AM
[QUOTE=christyf5;447395]

So....where exactly is Buttville?:lol:

banditpowdercoat
09-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Roflmfao

Lance
09-14-2009, 06:48 AM
[QUOTE=Lance;447757]

So....where exactly is Buttville?:lol:

Hang a left at Bummington and just a ways down the road past Derriereburg.

banditpowdercoat
09-14-2009, 06:53 AM
[QUOTE=christyf5;447395]oooh so exciting!!!! We'll have to have another meeting of the Powell River Hardcore Reefers Club. Now this is truly hardcore! :wink:

I may have to take my two tanks and leave town. I'm being out-hardcored badly. Dave now has about 1500 gals of saltwater and Marie grows SPS faster than the Indo-Pacific!

Come to my town. Im tired of being the only reefe..ER Tank nut LOL. W-5 once said every 2nd house here was reefers LMAO

Keri
09-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Um, can I come to your house? "Powell River Aquarium" :lol:

I can't wait to see this all put together - so wicked!

chris121277
09-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Very cool set up man.:shocked!:

Mrfish55
09-14-2009, 02:14 PM

Don't sell yourself short Lance, you have two very nice tanks, whats the saying "it's not the size that matters but what you can do with it" They were talking about fish tanks right? If you really want to catch up I have most of the parts to build a 1500 gallon tank, just nowhere to put it, You don't use your garage do you?
Um, can I come to your house? "Powell River Aquarium" :lol:

I can't wait to see this all put together - so wicked!

Welcome to visit anytime, the admittance checks made payable to BC Hydro:silly:

Very cool set up man.:shocked!:

Thanks, can't wait to get it going (I think the fish would appreciate it also) Demo starting today, pictures later.

lastlight
09-14-2009, 03:05 PM
So what are the fish in right now?

Can't wait to see you unwrap that beast!

Mrfish55
09-14-2009, 03:32 PM
So what are the fish in right now?

Can't wait to see you unwrap that beast!

Living in a 200 gal prawn tote:cry: they seem no worse for the wear, I have the sump and skimmer hooked up so volume wise they have close to 400 gallons of life support, nobody is showing any distress and they are all eating well, still want to get the new one up ASAP and transfer everything over. If all goes well I should be ready by the weekend for another marathon switch over.

PoonTang
09-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Very cool. I bet as soon as you power that baby up the gro-op police are going to come a knockin. lol.

banditpowdercoat
09-14-2009, 04:23 PM
You know, I have a HUGE metal box here on the outside of my shop. 8'x10' outside, lined with 18,000W of electric heat. It's my Powdecoat bake oven. Iv'e been waiting for over 3 years for the police..... Guess maybe I COULD start growing hahaha

I used to see the meter reader coming down the road. I'd go out and crank the oven on. The meter spins like mad when thats on. Just waiting to see if they say anything...

muck
09-14-2009, 05:09 PM

They got nothing on you and your "innovative" ways to clean your aquarium.. :lol:

marie
09-14-2009, 05:11 PM
They got nothing on you and your "innovative" ways to clean your aquarium.. :lol:

Too true... someone has to keep us laughing when our visa bills come in :lol:

Lance
09-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Too true... someone has to keep us laughing when our visa bills come in :lol:

OK, maybe I'll hang around then for comedy relief. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Dave. On with the MONSTER BUILD!

bullit67
09-14-2009, 05:48 PM
hope you have stock in a salt company because you will going through alot of salt 100 gallon water changes.

Deffenatly keeping an eye on this one. Love the idea of the outside tank room hope the slab is good and thick/strong

Mrfish55
09-14-2009, 06:52 PM
hope you have stock in a salt company because you will going through alot of salt 100 gallon water changes.

Deffenatly keeping an eye on this one. Love the idea of the outside tank room hope the slab is good and thick/strong

IO is only $40 a bucket and I can get a deal thru the local shop from time to time, I am not worried about the slab, the house was built by an Italian 50 years ago, looks like he intended on building 50 stories high, the basement walls are almost 12" thick.

Pics later, just taking lunch break, wall is comming apart as we speak.

Mrfish55
09-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Today's progress, plan has been changed allready, originally I was going to close in a 6x12' section (leaving 2' around the tank for access) then I got to thinking how much time I spend behind the reef tinkering so the room is now going to be 8x22' there will be 2 1/2' on one side, 4' behind (12" sits inside the wall) and 11 1/2' on the other side (room for a comfy chair and beer fridge:biggrin:) Waiting on the quote from the welder for the stand, have to work tomorrow, more progress on Wed. here are a few reno pics to please the photo junkies.

Here is the window that is comming out
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2311.jpg

Removing stucco, Fun:neutral:
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2312.jpg

And the first wall is up.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2313.jpg

Ian
09-15-2009, 01:24 AM
In a word JEALOUS
just showed the 1st pic to my wife and said I want one of these in our new house this summer
"OK, but where are you going to live"
ouch

Mrfish55
09-15-2009, 03:29 AM
Got the quote on the stand :sad: needless to say I will be building my own, should be ready to move the tank into place by Friday.

lastlight
09-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Are you getting a permit etc or is this a 'just do it'?

I'd love to just start tacking walls to the outside of my place but at the same time I'd love to stay married since nobody else will put up with me! I'm going to enjoy this...keep the build MOVING!

Mrfish55
09-15-2009, 05:33 AM
Walls are only temporary, there will be no wiring or plumbing and no structural alterations, so no permit required:rolleyes:
Are you getting a permit etc or is this a 'just do it'?

I'd love to just start tacking walls to the outside of my place but at the same time I'd love to stay married since nobody else will put up with me! I'm going to enjoy this...keep the build MOVING!

Skimmerking
09-15-2009, 11:27 PM
I promise to post lots of pics just for you, when do you go? this should be up and running by next weekend.
dude i have been gone since last monday :cry:

Skimmerking
09-15-2009, 11:30 PM
wow you rick my world fella. you are building and im studying advanced ballistics

JDigital
09-16-2009, 12:49 AM
MORE PICTURES! :mrgreen:

bullit67
09-16-2009, 12:58 AM
I dont think a tank room can be too big you wouldnt of been happy with 2 feet on all sides the new plan sounds awsome lots of room for the sump and all the other goodies as well as the beer fridge and hey the fridge can double as a chiller in the summer

Mrfish55
09-16-2009, 01:19 AM
wow you rick my world fella. you are building and im studying advanced ballistics

Sorry, thanks for doing what you do:thumb: If you are ever in my neck of the woods, drinks are on me:drinking:

MORE PICTURES! :mrgreen:

Tomorrow

I dont think a tank room can be too big you wouldnt of been happy with 2 feet on all sides the new plan sounds awsome lots of room for the sump and all the other goodies as well as the beer fridge and hey the fridge can double as a chiller in the summer

It came with a 1/2 horse chiller, more room for beers:biggrin: I think it was wise to do the larger room.

Mrfish55
09-17-2009, 02:35 AM
Pics of today's construction, window is out and the platform was constructed, took three sheets of 1" ply, 7" thick and has supports and cross bracing every 8", once the supporting legs are in place, the bottom will be covered with 3/4" ply, kind of like industrial cardboard, perfectly flat and level, will be adding a layer of foam under the tank as extra precaution. Sits a little higher than I normally like to go but I want to fit the sump underneath and need room for maintenance.

View from what will be the service room.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2314.jpg

Sits opposite the reef
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2315.jpg

The opening from inside the room, is about 8-10" higher to have a access door to clean glass, etc.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2317.jpg

Dez
09-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Wow, I think your build is making everyone drool.....AWESOME!

bullit67
09-17-2009, 02:50 AM
I just noticed the concrete wall you might want to think about sealing it up with a good coating you dont want the salt attacking the concrete. You might have this planned but some people dont know how corrosive salt can be on concrete. I did mine with a product called Varathane "colors in plastics. it is strong flexable and will resist cemicals so salt should not be an issue.

one warning it is not cheap

Lance
09-17-2009, 02:56 AM
Looking good Dave. You're making good progress. That stand looks solid enough to park a tank on! I see you've lost the covered part of the deck. Are you going to extend the roof to get some covered deck back. Or maybe a canopy? On the other hand it's facing east and sun isn't really a problem I guess. Anyway you've got until next spring to worry about that. I'll stop in for a peek when I get a chance.

mseepman
09-17-2009, 03:00 AM
I totally agree with the above statement about coating your concrete. A friend rinsed out his tank (with the last 2" of saltwater in it) beside his sidewalk and within a few days the sidewalk look like it had been attacked from that side. Even though it was watered down.

Otherwise, this build is awesome! I love how you are moving so quickly...keeps me looking several times a day for an update.

Mrfish55
09-17-2009, 03:01 AM
Wow, I think your build is making everyone drool.....AWESOME!

Thanks, hoping to have water in it by the weekend.

I just noticed the concrete wall you might want to think about sealing it up with a good coating you dont want the salt attacking the concrete. You might have this planned but some people dont know how corrosive salt can be on concrete. I did mine with a product called Varathane "colors in plastics. it is strong flexable and will resist cemicals so salt should not be an issue.

one warning it is not cheap

That wall is not concrete, it's wood frame covered in tarpaper (was stucco) It will eventually be finished off, the tank for the most part will be sealed from the house to help control humidity issues usually associated with large tanks, the room will also have a humidstat controlled ventillation fan.

Mrfish55
09-17-2009, 03:11 AM
Looking good Dave. You're making good progress. That stand looks solid enough to park a tank on! I see you've lost the covered part of the deck. Are you going to extend the roof to get some covered deck back. Or maybe a canopy? On the other hand it's facing east and sun isn't really a problem I guess. Anyway you've got until next spring to worry about that. I'll stop in for a peek when I get a chance.

Stand is rock solid, and cost a fraction of what a welded one would have been (would like to have gone metal to save space but $$$$ convinced me wood was sufficient) Stop by anytime, Friday afternoon would be good, roughly around the time we will be moving it around back:lol: Not too concerned about losing the covered deck space, future reno plans will fix that.

Lance
09-17-2009, 03:21 AM
Stand is rock solid, and cost a fraction of what a welded one would have been (would like to have gone metal to save space but $$$$ convinced me wood was sufficient) Stop by anytime, Friday afternoon would be good, roughly around the time we will be moving it around back:lol: Not too concerned about losing the covered deck space, future reno plans will fix that.

I'll be there after work Friday afternoon. Do you have enough bodies? I can probably get 1 or 2 guys if I know what time.

Mrfish55
09-17-2009, 04:00 AM
I'll be there after work Friday afternoon. Do you have enough bodies? I can probably get 1 or 2 guys if I know what time.

Will let you know, have to see what the weather does, the grass down the side (where the tank needs to go) is crazy slippery when wet, and there is one spot with only 5" clearance, dont want to damage the tank, or any helpers!

marie
09-17-2009, 04:02 AM
Will let you know, have to see what the weather does, the grass down the side (where the tank needs to go) is crazy slippery when wet, and there is one spot with only 5" clearance, dont want to damage the tank, or any helpers!

Sounds like a good time for me to stop in with my camera.

I can't help much with lifting the tank but I'm full of good suggestions :mrgreen:

Mrfish55
09-17-2009, 04:14 AM
Sounds like a good time for me to stop in with my camera.

I can't help much with lifting the tank but I'm full of good suggestions :mrgreen:

Let you know when the show starts:lol: and when we have it safetly in place it will be time for :drinking:

robert
09-17-2009, 05:05 AM
Wow Dave, great work :clap2: I wish I could help on Friday, but distance is a bit off limits. :biggrin: Can't wait to see the monster running.

Lance
09-18-2009, 11:37 PM
So, I helped Dave move the tank on to the stand today. This thing is HUGE.
It's Dave's thread, so I'll let him tell the good stuff, but I will say he did a great job on the stand; built rock-solid. Oh, and I got to see the fishes! There is a French Angel that is the biggest Angel I've ever seen. This guy has to be 14" long by 12" high and at least 6" thick. And a Blue Face Angel that is just stunning. All the fish look to be healthy and fat. Awesome collection of fishes!
I am soooooooooooooo jealous!!!!!

Mrfish55
09-19-2009, 12:33 AM
So, I helped Dave move the tank on to the stand today. This thing is HUGE.
It's Dave's thread, so I'll let him tell the good stuff, but I will say he did a great job on the stand; built rock-solid. Oh, and I got to see the fishes! There is a French Angel that is the biggest Angel I've ever seen. This guy has to be 14" long by 12" high and at least 6" thick. And a Blue Face Angel that is just stunning. All the fish look to be healthy and fat. Awesome collection of fishes!
I am soooooooooooooo jealous!!!!!

Thanks for the hand Lance :hail: I will post pics tomorrow, the move went smooth, should start filling it tomorrow, tonight I drink!

Mrfish55
09-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Water test complete, no issues:cool:, started draining for final cleaning and will start refilling this afternoon, room will be wired and insulated tomorrow, hoping to get everyone transferred back early next week.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2318.jpg

fishoholic
09-19-2009, 05:29 PM
WOW, can't wait to see it complete.

bullit67
09-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Looking good like it was built for that spot

bauder1986
09-19-2009, 05:56 PM
wow, this would make my buddy drool even, he's got a 240 and a 340 reef tanks set up and they both couldnt compare to the massive awe inspiring 750 monster! Top rating from me for this tank build!

Mrfish55
09-19-2009, 06:10 PM
WOW, can't wait to see it complete.

Soon, I kinda need to get it going quick as I don't want to start having problems with the fish.

Looking good like it was built for that spot

Can you believe that the window came out and the tank slid in without having to modify the opening, there was just enough space to slide some tar paper between the tank and side of the opening with about 1/64" to spare, the tank didn't move at all when full so no stress on the tank (or me!)

wow, this would make my buddy drool even, he's got a 240 and a 340 reef tanks set up and they both couldnt compare to the massive awe inspiring 750 monster! Top rating from me for this tank build!

Thanks, I was sold on it the instant I saw it.

ALBERTA REEF
09-19-2009, 10:17 PM
I have might of missed it. What are the diamentions of that bad boy?

Mrfish55
09-19-2009, 10:21 PM
I have might of missed it. What are the diamentions of that bad boy?

96Lx60Wx30H
Sump is 96X24X24

marie
09-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Are you going to be home tomorrow afternoon Dave?

I really do need to come around and see the new fish

fishoholic
09-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Soon, I kinda need to get it going quick as I don't want to start having problems with the fish.

It's already going quick, great job with the set up.

Skimmerking
09-20-2009, 01:05 AM
wow look at u go

christyf5
09-20-2009, 01:17 AM
Wow, look at you go indeed. This is the fastest fishroom build ever I think :razz:

Awesome progress, can't wait to come see it sometime :biggrin:

Lance
09-20-2009, 01:51 AM
[QUOTE=Mrfish55;449046]
the tank didn't move at all when full so no stress on the tank (or me!)

See, you were worried for nothing.:mrgreen:

Mrfish55
09-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Are you going to be home tomorrow afternoon Dave?

I really do need to come around and see the new fish

Should be home most of the day, just need to pick up some stuff in the morning.

Wow, look at you go indeed. This is the fastest fishroom build ever I think :razz:

Awesome progress, can't wait to come see it sometime :biggrin:

Door is open for tours anytime.

[QUOTE=Mrfish55;449046]
the tank didn't move at all when full so no stress on the tank (or me!)

See, you were worried for nothing.:mrgreen:

I have a tendancy to go overboard on things from time to time :silly:

Mrfish55
09-21-2009, 04:25 AM
Framing is finished, insulation in and started drywall, draining the tank right now so I can prep for filling and start plumbing.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2321.jpg
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2322.jpg

Lance
09-21-2009, 05:26 AM
Ah drywall, don't you just love it............Hanging it, taping it, mudding it, sanding it, priming and painting it. :mrgreen:

Nice progress: Moving right along.

leducreef
09-21-2009, 05:48 AM
if i lived near i would be over in a jiffy
thats wahat i do for a living and for some reason i like it lol drywall and painting lol

Mrfish55
09-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Ah drywall, don't you just love it............Hanging it, taping it, mudding it, sanding it, priming and painting it. :mrgreen:

Nice progress: Moving right along.

if i lived near i would be over in a jiffy
thats wahat i do for a living and for some reason i like it lol drywall and painting lol

I don't mind drywall, should have it taped by beer o'clock tomorrow and painted by Wed.

leducreef
09-21-2009, 06:28 AM
man i got to learn how to type lol

lookin good

marie
09-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Hows the tank coming? If you need a hand transferring fish over I can help :biggrin:

Mrfish55
09-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Hows the tank coming? If you need a hand transferring fish over I can help :biggrin:

Looking like Thursday now, just getting the params on the new water straightened out, help would be appreciated, let you know when.

Mrfish55
09-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Token shot of the kids in the tank
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2323.jpg
And after a marathon painting session last night, almost ready, just need to finish off some trim, Plan is no background on the tank so when you look in it appears deeper than it is (like it needs to look deeper:silly:) Tank is full of water and up to temp etc, just waiting for it to clear some more, hoping to do the switchover this afternoon.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2325.jpg

christyf5
09-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Awesome. Love the color you've painted the room :biggrin:

Mrfish55
09-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Awesome. Love the color you've painted the room :biggrin:

Yes very brite! Looks good with the white trim, and the view thru the tank is just the look I was after, will post more pics after I unwrap the tank.

christyf5
09-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Yes very brite! Looks good with the white trim, and the view thru the tank is just the look I was after, will post more pics after I unwrap the tank.

Definitely! I never even thought about the color of the room vs a tank background. Thats definitely the way to go to avoid having to put a removable background on the tank (which is what I was planning, now the hamster is back on the wheel, plotting :wink:) and so much more interesting than boring white :razz:

lastlight
09-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Now that's a pretty blue!

In the web world I call that #0099FF and I abuse the heck out of it =)

Love the pace of this one. You're doing it fast AND you're doing it well. Lucky kids!

Skimmerking
09-24-2009, 07:42 PM
that is it wow come on man get with the program. get a move on.. just kidding looking great man.

Chaloupa
09-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Eagerly awaiting pics today...? LOVE the blue!

untamed
09-24-2009, 10:04 PM
I painted my fish room blue for the same reason. I am very happy with my decision to leave the back portion of the tank clear as I spend most of my time in the fish room! I think you will also be very happy with that decision.

Mrfish55
09-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Just about wrapped up for the night, that was a lot of work, still need to plumb the skimmer (missing a %#$& fitting, I know its here somewhere, probably find it sometime tomorrow right after I buy a new one!) Everything looked good till the sand went in, pretty cloudy right now but I am sure it will clear up pretty quick, fish all seem happy, will get some pics up later tomorrow as I have to work.

chris121277
09-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Can't wait to see some shot's of this baby with the fish all in it:biggrin:
Just about wrapped up for the night, that was a lot of work, still need to plumb the skimmer (missing a %#$& fitting, I know its here somewhere, probably find it sometime tomorrow right after I buy a new one!) Everything looked good till the sand went in, pretty cloudy right now but I am sure it will clear up pretty quick, fish all seem happy, will get some pics up later tomorrow as I have to work.

Skimmerking
09-25-2009, 07:21 PM

let go man get the pictures going

Phanman
09-25-2009, 08:57 PM
wow just saw this thread... dont know how I missed it but I cant believe how fast your going at it! very impressive workmanship as well!

Look fwd to seeing more pics of you completing this monster build

Mrfish55
09-25-2009, 10:43 PM
let go man get the pictures going

Special for you Mike, as we all know what a Skimmer whore you are and you love the pics, how about a pic of a skimmer! The water supply, air supply and collection cup drain are all plumbed into the wall (air not finished yet) when done all you will see is a foaming cylinder in the corner, all the lines are hidden from view. I am working on LED backlighting so it will be a glowing cylinder of foam :silly:

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2327.jpg

bauder1986
09-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Special for you Mike, as we all know what a Skimmer whore you are and you love the pics, how about a pic of a skimmer! The water supply, air supply and collection cup drain are all plumbed into the wall (air not finished yet) when done all you will see is a foaming cylinder in the corner, all the lines are hidden from view. I am working on LED backlighting so it will be a glowing cylinder of foam :silly:

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2327.jpg

Hahaha that would make this a truly unique build! A glowing 5' tall skimmer!

Skimmerking
09-26-2009, 01:19 AM
omFG yes man you the man .... tanks buddy

bignose
09-26-2009, 01:24 AM
looks like the leg of your stand is leaning out to the left from the tank. Is this just me?

BlueAbyss
09-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Lighting the skimmer is an awesome idea! +1 on the wierd angle of the leg...

I can't get over how fast this is going up! Excellent job and you have some really unique ideas.

Lance
09-26-2009, 02:22 AM
Looking good Dave. Love those blue walls, and the backlit skimmer is a cool idea. By the time I get home you'll have the fish in for sure.

marie
09-26-2009, 03:20 AM
Looking good Dave. Love those blue walls, and the backlit skimmer is a cool idea. By the time I get home you'll have the fish in for sure.

I believe the fish are in now...I'm kicking myself for missing all the fun :redface:

Mrfish55
09-26-2009, 04:07 AM
omFG yes man you the man .... tanks buddy

Thought you would like that one, still lots of work to go, I will get more pics up on Sunday.

looks like the leg of your stand is leaning out to the left from the tank. Is this just me?

You would lean too if you were holding up 7500lbs:boink: In fact the leg is leaning but is not supporting anything, It will be trimmed and straightened when the skirting goes on.

Lighting the skimmer is an awesome idea! +1 on the wierd angle of the leg...

I can't get over how fast this is going up! Excellent job and you have some really unique ideas.

Thanks, once in a lifetime opportunity to do it the way I dream, I want it done right once, no re-do for me.

fishoholic
09-26-2009, 04:11 AM
I will get more pics up on Sunday.

Thanks, once in a lifetime opportunity to do it the way I dream, I want it done right once, no re-do for me.

Makes sense to do the dream the right way :biggrin: But what's this business about having to wait until Sunday for more pic.'s! :razz:

Mrfish55
09-26-2009, 04:12 AM

Fish are in and they look much happier, I am hoping to get the rest done in the next few days.

I believe the fish are in now...I'm kicking myself for missing all the fun :redface:

I don't know about fun, I was up till 1:00 making sure everything was good, Happy I double checked everything as the power bar for the heaters was plugged in but not turned on! One small leak on one overflow, but an easy fix. you will have to stop by and check it out, even I am impressed and that is hard to do:lol:

Mrfish55
09-26-2009, 05:10 AM
Makes sense to do the dream the right way :biggrin: But what's this business about having to wait until Sunday for more pic.'s! :razz:

Have to work :neutral: this obsession comes at a cost, I think I need a couple more jobs what with all the space in the new fishroom, can't very well be filling that with non fish related stuff now can I.

fishoholic
09-26-2009, 05:34 AM
Have to work :neutral: this obsession comes at a cost, I think I need a couple more jobs what with all the space in the new fishroom, can't very well be filling that with non fish related stuff now can I.

Hummmm... going to work to pay for everything, or showing us pic.'s......I don't know....:razz: :lol:

sharuq1
09-27-2009, 03:19 AM
It's almost Sunday :smile: (pics, pics, pics)

Mrfish55
09-27-2009, 03:47 AM
It's almost Sunday :smile: (pics, pics, pics)

LOL How about a couple of teaser livestock shots, I don't have lights hooked up yet so there not the best.

No Idea what this is, but very colorfull and active
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2293.jpg

Very large French Angel, looks like he runs the tank.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2295.jpg

Queen Angel
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2299.jpg

And my personal fav. Blue Face Angel
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2303.jpg

Mrfish55
09-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Oh, lets not forget the 6 foot tall glowing skimmer, little early to tell but it looks like the lights more than double the performance:silly:

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2349.jpg

BlueAbyss
09-27-2009, 04:14 AM
I think that colorful active fish is some type of soldierfish or squirrelfish.

fishytime
09-27-2009, 04:17 AM
I was gonna say hamlet of some sort??? Very nice looking assortment of other fish there too I must add.:biggrin:

marie
09-27-2009, 05:06 AM
My 2 clowns can have their house packed up and ready to go as soon as you give the word :mrgreen:

Delphinus
09-27-2009, 05:29 AM
The lit skimmer is a neat idea but I wonder if you'll find you'll be scraping coraline out of it more frequently because of that..

Nice fish!!!!

marie
09-27-2009, 05:32 AM
The lit skimmer is a neat idea but I wonder if you'll find you'll be scraping coraline out of it more frequently because of that..

Nice fish!!!!

Oh sure somebody always has to come up with a downside :razz:

bauder1986
09-27-2009, 05:40 AM
that is the neatest looking skimmer in western canada. Way to make something that takes out the garbage for you look cool! and those fish are amazing! There is no way in hell you could have corals in those tanks with those angels in there thats for sure!

Mrfish55
09-27-2009, 06:22 AM
My 2 clowns can have their house packed up and ready to go as soon as you give the word :mrgreen:

As soon as everything is settled in and I get everything finished (don't even have lights on it yet) will let you know, probably next week :biggrin:

Mrfish55
09-27-2009, 06:28 AM

Nice fish!!!!

Thanks, not worried about coraline, I couldn't get that stuff to grow if my life depended on it:lol:

that is the neatest looking skimmer in western canada. Way to make something that takes out the garbage for you look cool! and those fish are amazing! There is no way in hell you could have corals in those tanks with those angels in there thats for sure!

Thanks, trying to make this as clean and quiet a setup as possible, still lots of little things to do and then I will post pics of the details. No plans for corals right now but Marie has a giant anemone she wants rid of so we will see how that fares.

bauder1986
09-27-2009, 06:51 AM
a retirri anenome?

imisky
09-27-2009, 07:03 AM
Oh sure somebody always has to come up with a downside :razz:

get some UV LEDs for the lighting :) i wonder if that will effect the skimming at all or water clarity

Skimmerking
09-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Oh, lets not forget the 6 foot tall glowing skimmer, little early to tell but it looks like the lights more than double the performance:silly:

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2349.jpg

Dude where is the flucks capacitor for it, what type of moon fuel does that take...

I like it thou.

fishoholic
09-27-2009, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=Mrfish55;450670]
No Idea what this is, but very colorfull and active
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2293.jpg

He looks like similar to a pork fish. But different colouration.
http://www.deepseaimages.com/dsilibrary/data/579/22003_0526_114201aa_1.jpg

The Codfather
09-27-2009, 03:37 PM
High fin snapper

Midknight
09-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Beautiful tank. But need a FTS.:wink:

bauder1986
09-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Beautiful tank. But need a FTS.:wink:

+1 but you might have to cut a hole into the wall so you can stand in the yard to get the picture of the whole thing!:razz:

Mrfish55
09-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Terrible pic but here is the first FTS, trim matches the reef on the opposing wall, only diff is this one will have a small door along the top to have access to clean the acrylic. Need to figure out lighting plans and still need to complete the wiring so I can loose the extension cords.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2367.jpg

christyf5
09-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Damn that is one fine looking tank. Nice job!! :cool:

Ok so now we need individual photos of each fish :razz:

Skimmerking
09-27-2009, 04:39 PM
man that angel is huge man in that tank holy crap. what are you going to do withthe top piece there. what type of door.

marie
09-27-2009, 04:39 PM
How on earth did you manage to drag yourself off to work knowing that is waiting for you at home? :lol:

Mrfish55
09-27-2009, 04:48 PM
man that angel is huge man in that tank holy crap. what are you going to do withthe top piece there. what type of door.

Yes that French is HUGE, the door will be flush mount and get painted the wall color so it blends in, will try and get that done today.

How on earth did you manage to drag yourself off to work knowing that is waiting for you at home? :lol:

Just have to look at the pile of reciepts from putting this together, been an expensive summer between this and the new shop, looks like early retirement will now be 2030!!

Lance
09-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Dave, it looks AWESOME! I can't wait to get home and see it in person.

chris121277
09-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Nice job!
I know it's already been said but......Holly Crap thats a big fish!!!

If you have a panoramic setting on your camera you could take a awesome FTS

bignose
09-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Damn your tank is nice mrfish55.:faint:

mseepman
09-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Very nice job...glad to finally see an FTS.

lastlight
09-27-2009, 07:26 PM
I'd find a way to work from home! How much rock is that?! Really digthe layout.

Leah
09-27-2009, 07:50 PM
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgr een::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Mrfish55
09-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Very nice job...glad to finally see an FTS.

Thanks, I will try to get some better pics in the next few days, think I might take a day off, this has been long days non stop for two weeks now.

I'd find a way to work from home! How much rock is that?! Really digthe layout.

Rock is roughly 700lbs, the rock in the display tank consists of about 10-12 very large pieces (one nearly 100lbs itself) and the sump has a few chambers full of smaller pieces.

fishoholic
09-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Rock is roughly 700lbs, the rock in the display tank consists of about 10-12 very large pieces (one nearly 100lbs itself) and the sump has a few chambers full of smaller pieces.

Wow, that's crazy, it looks fabulous though.

Mrfish55
09-30-2009, 02:05 AM
Couple random fish shots
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2388.jpg
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2394.jpg
From the back of the tank
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2387.jpg

Lance
09-30-2009, 02:29 AM
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! I drove by today for a look-see but your car wasn't home.

christyf5
09-30-2009, 02:36 AM
*sigh* those fish are just awesome!!!! :cool:

lobsterboy
09-30-2009, 03:17 AM
yeah that MAC angel looks great, awesome job.

I hope this tank turns out to look like the guys from the new life specturm tank, full of colorful fish. !!!! :mrgreen:

Mrfish55
09-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! I drove by today for a look-see but your car wasn't home.

Sorry, had to work, should be home most of tomorrow, stop and have a :drinking:

*sigh* those fish are just awesome!!!! :cool:

Thanks, they look better in person and tons of personality, I am pretty happy with how it is comming together.

yeah that MAC angel looks great, awesome job.

I hope this tank turns out to look like the guys from the new life specturm tank, full of colorful fish. !!!! :mrgreen:

Not familiar with the new life tank, I am going to let things settle in for a bit and then I have a few fav's that will be added.

fishytime
09-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Hey Dave...I may have missed it, but did you figure out what your mystery fish is? (the big one at the top of your last pic)

Chaloupa
09-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Looks amazing! Can't wait to visit the "Powell River Aquarium"!

The Codfather
09-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Doug, it's a high fin snapper.

christyf5
09-30-2009, 04:18 PM

lol totally!!! :lol:

Mrfish55
09-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Hey Dave...I may have missed it, but did you figure out what your mystery fish is? (the big one at the top of your last pic)
Doug, it's a high fin snapper.

Lets go with that

Come visit any time, but I believe I am boardering on some new form of mental disorder, thinking of applying to the Government for a couple million $ for research. I think I am calling it the "Marine Rehabilitaion From Insanity Safe House" or MRFISH

Lance
09-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Come visit any time, but I believe I am boardering on some new form of mental disorder, thinking of applying to the Government for a couple million $ for research. I think I am calling it the "Marine Rehabilitaion From Insanity Safe House" or MRFISH

Or maybe you have Disorder: Aquarium Viral Encephalitis; also known as DAVE, which is a viral inflammation of the brain caused by close proximity to large bodies of salt water.

Mrfish55
09-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Or maybe you have Disorder: Aquarium Viral Encephalitis; also known as DAVE, which is a viral inflammation of the brain caused by close proximity to large bodies of salt water.

:lol::silly: That sounds about right!

Lance
09-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Just got back from Dave's and I AM IN LOVE!...... Not with Dave of course.....:lol:
People, this tank is AWESOME! It is huge, and the fish are incredible. Dave's done a great job with the rock work too. Large pillars of rock, yet lots of open space for the fishes.
When I first started out in SW, it was all about the fish. Then I gradually got more and more interested in corals, until the fish became almost secondary. BIG fish, in a big tank like this, are so much more interesting. With the large fishes cruising about and interacting, you don't even notice that there's not a single coral, or shrimp or clam. Who needs corals with a tank like this. Great job Dave!

Skimmerking
10-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Dave where are the pic's here man come on

Mrfish55
10-04-2009, 05:37 PM
New this morning, no lights, indirect lighting from the window in the room behind.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2406.jpg

christyf5
10-04-2009, 05:45 PM
wow that looks freakin awesome!! :cool:

Mrfish55
10-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Couple random fish shots, I will get some equipment pics later, but there is not much to see as it is basically just a sump full of live rock and a giant skimmer.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2413.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2415.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2416.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2417.jpg

Mrfish55
10-04-2009, 05:52 PM
wow that looks freakin awesome!! :cool:

Thanks, but like most here the pics do no justice, I am hoping to get some nicer pics once I have the lighting straightened out, thinking about T-5's with one halide for that shimmer effect.

lorenz0
10-04-2009, 05:53 PM
man, you have some nice fish in there. time to add some coral

Mrfish55
10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
man, you have some nice fish in there. time to add some coral

No coral in this one..................................yet, I have the 300 reef on the opposing wall with the coral for now.

Skimmerking
10-04-2009, 06:19 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM pictures Mmmmmmmmmmm No SKimmer pictures:cry:

lol

Mrfish55
10-04-2009, 06:35 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM pictures Mmmmmmmmmmm No SKimmer pictures:cry:

lol

Fine! hows this? tank is 5' deep and skimmer is another 4' behind that. I think the tank has cleared up nice, looks best first thing in the morning before the fish do the daily sand sift looking for scraps.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2411.jpg

Skimmerking
10-04-2009, 07:16 PM
your tank is 5 feet wide OMG

lastlight
10-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Omg now that is clarity! You are one lucky...guy ;)

Mrfish55
10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
your tank is 5 feet wide OMG

LOL yes, 8ft long 5ft wide and 30"high

Omg now that is clarity! You are one lucky...guy ;)

Amazing the clarity acrylic gives you, this tank is 1"thick and you can look from one edge 8' out the other end clear as day.

sharuq1
10-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Beautiful fishies!

Mrfish55
10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Finally got the lights the way I want, 2x175w Venture bulbs/Lumenmax reflectors and 6' VHO run by Icecap660 (1x10k and 1x super actinic) all attached to frame I welded up, the wires for the end caps run on the inside of the tubing for clean look. I wanted to make it brite and bring out the color in the fish without overdoing it and encouraging algae growth, so far I am happy with the look.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2460.jpg

Anem and clowns from Marie settled in nice.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2459.jpg

And couple random tank shots, everyone is doing well.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2457.jpg
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2452.jpg

Lance
10-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Nice job on the lighting. The best thing about a FOWLR, (besides the fish), is no heat issues with the lighting.

Mrfish55
10-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Nice job on the lighting. The best thing about a FOWLR, (besides the fish), is no heat issues with the lighting.

It also helps to have 1000 gallons of water! takes a bit to raise or lower the temp, I am finding no temp change at all with the lights set up the way they are.

banditpowdercoat
10-28-2009, 09:21 PM
WOW, I can't belive how well that lights up the tank. Great Job :mrgreen:

sphelps
10-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Sweeeeet!
http://www.penguinhuggle.com/chat/smileys2/drool3.gif

Gotta love those big FO's

marie
10-29-2009, 12:28 AM
So are the other fish are leaving the anemone alone and is the female clown behaving herself?

JDigital
10-29-2009, 12:56 AM
and where exactly in the FTS are maries' clowns and nem? It's like playing "Where's Waldo".... :lol:

That Angel is sooo big... when u think of how big the tank is... haha!

Mrfish55
10-29-2009, 01:03 AM
WOW, I can't belive how well that lights up the tank. Great Job :mrgreen:

I am quite pleased with the lighting and the light rack turned out real nice, once finished off most of the wires will be completely hidden.

Sweeeeet!
http://www.penguinhuggle.com/chat/smileys2/drool3.gif

Gotta love those big FO's

Thanks, now if only I can convince the camera to take a pic worthy of the tank.

Mrfish55
10-29-2009, 01:12 AM
So are the other fish are leaving the anemone alone and is the female clown behaving herself?

You should have stuck around for the show, it was priceless. They have settled in nice and I think being in the presence of much larger fish has humbled her a bit, the solitary Ocellaris that was hanging out at that end of the tank decided to re join the rest of the group, they won't leave the nem except when it's feeding time. The nem has moved to the back side of the tank up high between the rocks, I will leave it to find a spot it is happy with.

and where exactly in the FTS are maries' clowns and nem? It's like playing "Where's Waldo".... :lol:

That Angel is sooo big... when u think of how big the tank is... haha!

They are on the left side of the tank on the back side, hopefully it moves out front but it makes no difference to me as I spend just as much time in the back as I do out front. I should try to get a shot of the angel when he/she is front and center, actually looks smaller in the pics due to the depth of the tank (all rockwork is 3' away from front panel to leave lots of swimming room)

plutoniumJoe
10-29-2009, 02:03 AM
The tank looks great. I love the light rack! It gives me new ideas for my own. One question though if you are running the wires inside how do you deal with the potential humidity/rust issue with the inside of the steel? Do you just paint inside as well, if so how?

Mrfish55
10-29-2009, 03:13 AM
The tank looks great. I love the light rack! It gives me new ideas for my own. One question though if you are running the wires inside how do you deal with the potential humidity/rust issue with the inside of the steel? Do you just paint inside as well, if so how?

Believe it or not the humidity in the room is not bad (top of tank and sump are covered and skimmer is vented to outside) I never sealed the inside of the tubing but did seal the end of the rack where the wires come out with silicone so in theory the unit is sealed and moisture should not be able to get into it. Even if it does rust a little I don't think it will cause any issues.

Ryan
10-29-2009, 04:37 AM
Thats a nice tank. i like how open it is and how its not the typical reef tank you see on here everyday.

Is that Queen Angel really that yellow?

Mrfish55
10-29-2009, 05:24 AM
Thats a nice tank. i like how open it is and how its not the typical reef tank you see on here everyday.

Is that Queen Angel really that yellow?

Thanks, and yes the queen really is that yellow with neon blue highlights, I have the white balance on the camera set so what you see is pretty close to what it is.

Chin_Lee
10-29-2009, 05:36 AM
Very impressive and you are making me very very very very very very very jealous

lastlight
10-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Not painting the background sure worked out amazingly well for you. Still in awe of those massive rocks...you could go into business selling that off by the pound and stay pretty busy lol.

How many watts are the mh bulbs?

Mrfish55
10-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Very impressive and you are making me very very very very very very very jealous

Thanks, I love the look on peoples faces when they see it in person for the first time.

Not painting the background sure worked out amazingly well for you. Still in awe of those massive rocks...you could go into business selling that off by the pound and stay pretty busy lol.

How many watts are the mh bulbs?

SELLING!! I just set it up, if I ever do sell I am not touching the thing, anyone buys this they can move those boulders themselves (I think the heaviest weighs in just over 100lbs and is covered with Forams (those feel pretty good when you drive them into your hands/fingers/forearms/belly, and any other part of your body you touch) not to mention handling care when working around acylic)
Using the wall as the backdrop turned out better than expected, especially like the different shades it develops as the lighting plays on it.
Believe it or not the lights are only 2x175w, must be the reflectors making it so bright as it is looks brighter than the reef and it is running 3x400w

Skimmerking
10-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Dave the tank looks great man.

untamed
10-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Love the N. unicornis! (I assume that is what that is...I can't see the blue spines) "he" looks larger than mine, with a more developed horn.

Mrfish55
10-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Dave the tank looks great man.

Thanks Mike, just about done, need to tile the floor and do the skirting on the tank.

Love the N. unicornis! (I assume that is what that is...I can't see the blue spines) "he" looks larger than mine, with a more developed horn.

He/She is huge and fat, guessing 14-16"long and the blue spines are there just not showing in the pic.

untamed
10-29-2009, 10:13 PM
He/She is huge and fat, guessing 14-16"long and the blue spines are there just not showing in the pic.

Yes, he/she is larger than mine. How long have you had it? Mine might be 10", but I've only had it for about a year and a half.

Mrfish55
10-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Yes, he/she is larger than mine. How long have you had it? Mine might be 10", but I've only had it for about a year and a half.

I have only had it 6wks (came with the rest of the livestock that was in the tank when I bought it) the former owner added it 5 years ago and I do not know how big it was then, not the most colorfull fish but definately one of the more active.

Mrfish55
10-31-2009, 04:21 AM
Well those clowns from Marie wasted no time making themselves feel at home, spent the last hour laying eggs.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2466.jpg

marie
10-31-2009, 04:25 AM
Well those clowns from Marie wasted no time making themselves feel at home, spent the last hour laying eggs.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2466.jpg

Now reach in and try to move them :razz: .
They are very productive, sometimes there have been 2 batches of eggs on the go at the same time...poor little male is run ragged trying to look after them :lol:

Ryan
10-31-2009, 04:26 AM
Clarkii females have been known to share a male. I feel sorry for that little guy... like one women isnt bad enough lol.

Lance
10-31-2009, 04:31 AM
Poor Bastard!

Keri
10-31-2009, 07:21 AM
OMG I forgot about this thread and the BEST part is I can fastforward right thru and read it all! I love it, it looks so awesome! Congrats!

Mrfish55
11-10-2009, 01:33 AM
OMG I forgot about this thread and the BEST part is I can fastforward right thru and read it all! I love it, it looks so awesome! Congrats!

Thanks, It's getting to be quite the attraction, you should try to make it up for the next reef tour and see it in person.

Keri
11-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Thanks, It's getting to be quite the attraction, you should try to make it up for the next reef tour and see it in person.

I will definately try, I saw that there was one yesterday but Drew was working :(

Lance
11-10-2009, 01:38 AM
I will definately try, I saw that there was one yesterday but Drew was working :(

Yesterday's meet didn't happen because of ferry trouble. Rescheduled to Nov. 29th.

Keri
11-10-2009, 01:39 AM
Yesterday's meet didn't happen because of ferry trouble. Rescheduled to Nov. 29th.

Oh! I should be off that day, if Drew is also I'd like to come :)

Lance
11-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Oh! I should be off that day, if Drew is also I'd like to come :)

The more the merrier. A few are coming over from the Island as well.

bauder1986
11-16-2009, 08:37 PM
I think its time for an update on this tank!

chris121277
11-16-2009, 11:37 PM

I agree.....maybe a video clip of thows giant fish?

Mrfish55
11-17-2009, 02:23 AM

I do not have a video camera, so a video at the moment is out, I will try and get some pics in the next day or so, no real changes as I have been suffering with the flu the last couple weeks.

lastlight
11-17-2009, 04:29 AM

Dude that is the most creative misspelling of "those" I've ever seen =)

chris121277
11-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Dude that is the most creative misspelling of "those" I've ever seen =)

Oops lol.....didn't even notice that, but thanx for noticing
(Spell check was invented for me)

Aquaria
11-19-2009, 12:17 PM
im new to all this just setting up my first tank 46G bow your tank makes my mind wander, my g/f would murder me because if i did that i couldent ask :P ill be down in van city to visit my bestfriend, mabey me and my g/f could see it. might make it more possible to convince her in the future haha.
i mean she would have to see its awsomeness first hand right?

Mrfish55
11-19-2009, 07:35 PM
im new to all this just setting up my first tank 46G bow your tank makes my mind wander, my g/f would murder me because if i did that i couldent ask :P ill be down in van city to visit my bestfriend, mabey me and my g/f could see it. might make it more possible to convince her in the future haha.
i mean she would have to see its awsomeness first hand right?

This is certainly one of those tanks that needs to be seen in person, the pictures just don't do it any justice, I am not exactly in Vancouver, it would be a full day trip to get here (2 ferries) If you are up to the trip you are more than welcome to come see it.

Mrfish55
11-20-2009, 02:31 AM
Got home from work today, lost the Aussie Tusk and the male Blue Chin Trigger, the 10 hour power outage looks to be taking it's toll despite running back-up gen and monitoring everything till 4 this morning, a few others are looking seriously stressed and I have a number of sps in the reef looking pretty questionable, kinda sucks as the reef was really starting to turn around. :(

Lance
11-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Got home from work today, lost the Aussie Tusk and the male Blue Chin Trigger, the 10 hour power outage looks to be taking it's toll despite running back-up gen and monitoring everything till 4 this morning, a few others are looking seriously stressed and I have a number of sps in the reef looking pretty questionable, kinda sucks as the reef was really starting to turn around. :(

No way! This is horrible news.

marie
11-20-2009, 03:07 AM

Oh geez :sad: , If you need a place to keep stock until your back on track, I have a 60g cube tank with no fish at the moment and lots of sand bed space in the big tank for corals

Mrfish55
11-20-2009, 03:34 AM
Oh geez :sad: , If you need a place to keep stock until your back on track, I have a 60g cube tank with no fish at the moment and lots of sand bed space in the big tank for corals

Thanks for the offer, I will do a water change tomorrow and give things a few days to settle down, tank is looking a little cloudy right now, I will run some tests tomorrow to see what I can do. Sad part is I was home and able to get the gen going right away, makes you wonder what would have happened if I wasn't home.

The Codfather
11-20-2009, 03:41 AM
Sorry to hear, but it's just a bump in the road. Things will turn around, I don't want to hear any more nonsense of a tank for sale. Your too far in now to let something like this discourage you.

christyf5
11-20-2009, 03:45 AM
Aww that sucks!! I hope things look better tomorrow!

lastlight
11-20-2009, 03:50 AM
Sorry to hear that. How can the power blipping off for a few minutes do that though? Does that mean you can't for example shut the return off a few minutes to clean a pump? Doesn't seem to add up?

I don't recall pictures of SPS in there. So this will be a full reef?

Mrfish55
11-20-2009, 05:53 AM
Sorry to hear, but it's just a bump in the road. Things will turn around, I don't want to hear any more nonsense of a tank for sale. Your too far in now to let something like this discourage you.

Too far in is an understatement! I am sure everything will straighten itself out, they went thru much worse on the move, must have been the dip in temp as I could not run heaters without tripping the gen.

Aww that sucks!! I hope things look better tomorrow!

So do I, power has allready gone out twice tonight, just came back on, thought we should be good after last night but looks like another long night.

Sorry to hear that. How can the power blipping off for a few minutes do that though? Does that mean you can't for example shut the return off a few minutes to clean a pump? Doesn't seem to add up?

I don't recall pictures of SPS in there. So this will be a full reef?

Power was out for 10 hours, tanks were without power for about an hour while I was getting the gen and extension cords set up. No corals in the big tank, I have a 300 reef on the opposing wall. I did not do anything different than other times I have lost power and never encountered problems before, must be one of those tests to find my breaking point! Thinking a newer larger gen is in order so I can run everything. On a positive note, the kids got to sit with a flashlight and watch clown babys hatch out last night, with all the pumps off and no circulation they all gathered around the light, looked to be a few hundred of them.

lastlight
11-20-2009, 05:59 AM
Now that's magical!

Hey with a tank that size you have no breaking point anymore. Taking it out I think would be a lot slower than your build.

Tom R
11-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Sorry to here of your misfortune. I hope all works out for you. Having local support from other REEFERS in the area (Marie & Lance) is important.

A couple of years ago when we had that major wind storm that took out all those trees in Stanley Park, a number of the local REEF NETWORK members goto together and discussed Disaster Planning. Many of us partnered off with 1 or 2 others who lived close together, who could support each other and share thew plan. There were a number of different plans discussed as the size of the systems required different plans.

My system being 525G required me to buy a generator capable of running my Amp Master main pump and 2 X 250W heaters. I set it up in September and test it for about 2 hours and then leave it in the ready mode hopping never to use it.

A DISASTER PLAN is only good if you actually test it and it works. We have so much invested in our systems that running without a well tested DISASTER PLAN is very risky.

Tom R

Your Generator should run your main circulation pump and at least a couple of heaters to be of any use.

Lance
11-22-2009, 01:41 AM
How are the tanks doing today? Do you need any salt or anything?

lastlight
11-22-2009, 01:46 AM
I know this doesn't apply here but people with smaller systems and a vehicle can just run a few items off the idling car. I know my truck outlet is 400W so I'd run my Dart and one heater. I could do that for a LONG time and already have everything I need (50 foot extension cord).

Mrfish55
11-22-2009, 02:04 AM
How are the tanks doing today? Do you need any salt or anything?

I'm good for salt, tanks are looking better today, at least they have cleared up, still a few corals in the reef that may have to be fragged as they are losing tissue at the base.

Lance
11-22-2009, 02:13 AM
I'm good for salt, tanks are looking better today, at least they have cleared up, still a few corals in the reef that may have to be fragged as they are losing tissue at the base.

Good to hear. (Except for the corals of course).

Mrfish55
12-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Everyone has recovered from near disaster, so I finally added my clown trigger. Was an interesting show when the snapper watched dinner swim away (note to self, do not add new fish thru same hole in top that food goes in)
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/ClownTrigger.jpg

Veng68
12-07-2009, 09:54 PM
LOL that would be a pretty expensive meal :)

Cheers,
Vic

Lance
12-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Hey Dave. I just read something interesting:
"Every drop of seawater contains 1 billion gold atoms".

If you could process the gold from your 1,000 gallons you could probably get enough gold to buy enough salt to fill it up again. :lol:

marie
12-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Hey Dave. I just read something interesting:
"Every drop of seawater contains 1 billion gold atoms".

If you could process the gold from your 1,000 gallons you could probably get enough gold to buy enough salt to fill it up again. :lol:

Bored by any chance Lance?? :lol:

Lance
12-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Bored by any chance Lance?? :lol:

Yup. Joan's at work; raining out; tank maintenance all done; got no money.:sad:
Besides, I've got to get to my post count up, so I can be popular and knowledgeable. :lol:

Skimmerking
12-20-2009, 11:29 PM
well you have the post count up i will say that the other things wellllllllllllll nice guy tries hard bottom 3rd.

lol

banditpowdercoat
12-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Yup. Joan's at work; raining out; tank maintenance all done; got no money.:sad:
Besides, I've got to get to my post count up, so I can be popular and knowledgeable. :lol:

HAHA, Not gettin any closer!!!!

ANd I'm really intrigued about this Gold thing

Lance
12-20-2009, 11:39 PM
well you have the post count up i will say that the other things wellllllllllllll nice guy tries hard
lol

Nice guy, tries hard. I can live with that. :biggrin:

Mrfish55
12-21-2009, 01:23 AM
Of course there is gold in the water, wouldn't be epic without it now would it? You really should be doing something constructive like building your post count!

Funky_Fish14
12-21-2009, 02:14 AM
MrFish:

Wow this really turned out awesome! I thought I had posted in here but turns out I didnt lol, because I've read through it before. You did an amazing job and congrats on the awesome score of a tank! Acrylic sure can be awesome hey? Im really pleased with my acrylic tanks!

Hope most(all) of the fish are doing ok!

Cheers,

Chris

Mrfish55
12-21-2009, 01:51 PM
MrFish:

Wow this really turned out awesome! I thought I had posted in here but turns out I didnt lol, because I've read through it before. You did an amazing job and congrats on the awesome score of a tank! Acrylic sure can be awesome hey? Im really pleased with my acrylic tanks!

Hope most(all) of the fish are doing ok!

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks, was never really a fan of acrylic (had one years ago) but I guess you really do get what you pay for, the build quality on this tank is spectacular. Only one small hicup after a power outage, everyone is doing well, still thinking about how I want to finish the room off.

Mrfish55
01-04-2010, 09:38 PM
The last planned addition to the tank, finally added my Emporer, was a little concerned how it would go as he is quite small but allready has become the ruler of the tank, funny watching the jumbo French run and hide when the Emporer gets in one of his moods (come to think of it perhaps he is a she:lol:)
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2533.jpg
And a group shot to show how small it really is
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_2534.jpg

Lance
01-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Nice score Dave. He/she is a beauty. Wifey is happy I bet. Hard to believe Frenchie is afraid of it; could gulp it down in one bite.

Mrfish55
01-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Nice score Dave. He/she is a beauty. Wifey is happy I bet. Hard to believe Frenchie is afraid of it; could gulp it down in one bite.

Yes she is pleased, I was concerned how the addition would make out after the gongshow when I added the trigger, so when I put this guy in I fed the tank at one end and added him at the other end, he immediately went over and chased everyone away from the food, sure has made the whole tank more lively.

christyf5
01-04-2010, 10:27 PM
LOL well at least you didn't add him through the feeding hole :razz:

PoonTang
01-04-2010, 10:45 PM

LMAO
Hmmm new fish, might just call for another trip to the Powell River Public aquarium. Lookin good Dave.

Mrfish55
01-05-2010, 12:48 AM

Ya, won't be doing that again

LMAO
Hmmm new fish, might just call for another trip to the Powell River Public aquarium. Lookin good Dave.

Thanks, pretty happy with this tank, seriously considering shutting down the small tank though, only thing stopping me is my bubble coral, had that one too long to part with.