PDA

View Full Version : Babies!

Malibu
06-25-2009, 07:33 PM
One of my platies had babies! I thought a couple of the adults might be preggers, but I wasn't sure (new to tropicals) and it appears that one of them must have been because I have a baby swimming around. Only one, so I'm assuming the rest must have been eaten.

I have a couple of plants that I was going to trim because they're tall and coiling at the top, but I'm thinking I'm going to leave them for now to give the little guy some shelter. I took out my moss "mop" because it was just making a mess of my tank and I have no intentions of putting it back in (I think it was java moss?)

Anyway, short of another moss plant, any suggestions? I'm fairly certain 2 are very pregnant and ready any minute now!

ElGuappo
06-25-2009, 09:41 PM
you can use a couple layers of marbles. the small gaps inbetween work well from what i have read. you couls also pack some leafy plants (crypto, java fern) really tightly together so its like a jungle.

365seasons
07-03-2009, 05:24 PM
If you throw the pregnant platy in a breeder, turn the lights out, and throw in some food, she will pop pretty quickly (if she's ready). They need to feel safe.

Then you can get fry food and keep the babies in the breeder until they are functionally swimming.

It will give them all a much better chance of surviving in the plants that you do have.

Good luck!