PDA

View Full Version : Paint background or not?? PICS inside....

Piscez
05-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Hey guys, Please help me decide wether to continue with my blue paint back ground or scrape it off and leave it "el naturelle", thanks

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll35/20Works4me/Aquarium/BLuePaint.jpg?t=1243553630

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll35/20Works4me/Aquarium/BluePaint2.jpg?t=1243553924

Leah
05-29-2009, 12:23 AM
I think the blue background looks amazing!

Piscez
05-29-2009, 12:39 AM
I think the blue background looks amazing!

Thanks! It's Tremclad (Canadian Tire) "Dark Blue" gloss tin.

alamo
05-29-2009, 12:55 AM
I personally like it with the blue painted background.

christyf5
05-29-2009, 01:49 AM
Love the blue! :mrgreen:

noirsphynx
05-29-2009, 01:54 AM
That's a beautiful color blue, definitely go blue.

365seasons
05-29-2009, 02:17 AM
+1 the blue looks brilliant ;)

Blom
05-29-2009, 04:07 AM
I would say leave it natural just to argue the point but I cant, cause the blue looks great. I may do it myself now :mrgreen:

TheMikey
05-29-2009, 06:17 AM
I bought one of those dual sided black/blue aquarium wallpaper things that any generic pet store sells. Initially it was black, but there's nothing better than that blue.

Myka
05-29-2009, 06:33 AM
I say paint it!! I think all tanks should have the back wall painted. i like the shade of blue you have picked out. I'm not a fan of the lighter blue that a lot of people use, especially fish stores. Personally, I prefer a black background. As much as I understand the idea behind the blue background looking more natural I don't like how the blue takes away from the purple coralline and the blue fish. So I opt for black which I think makes all the colors jump right out, and it hides overflow boxes really well. :)

BlueAbyss
05-29-2009, 09:11 AM
I think the blue makes the rockwork stand out (nice job, BTW).

mike31154
05-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Looks real nice, but I have to say, I'm in the au natural camp. Then again, my next set up will be viewable from 3 sides, only one short side, the one with the overflow, will be anywhere near a wall. If you're painting glass tank sides, might as well go for the old plywood except for the front build. In the end, it needs to look good to you and your family. We're just looking at a photo, you have to live with it every day. Very nice blue.

Piscez
05-30-2009, 05:45 AM
Thanks guys for all the response, quite a majority in favour of the blue, going black was a consideration as suggested but I just like the blue so much better and when I had my 33 gal it came with some film type paper background blue on one side and black on the other, granted the blue fish didn't stand out as much with the blue back ground but all the other fishes colours really popped more with the blue vs the black. I also always really liked the deepness of that blue and interestingly enough this paint colour matches that paper blue as close as it gets IMO. One could mix blue tones all day trying to achieve a natural ocean look and never succeed with all the hues the ocean brings but this colour really gives some depth. With having a white wall background and the wife not wanting me to change to any aquarium relative wall colour I find that the back of the tank's appearance a little lost somehow. I hate it when I get on the fence about trivial things!!!! :drinking:

lastlight
05-30-2009, 06:25 AM
Between natural and blue I'd definately choose natural.

Black is a must in my opinion. I went to great lengths to finally get my overflow interior black as well. Painted with same paint as back of tank then I siliconed a piece of glass against it so it never contacts the water in my overflow.

BlueAbyss
05-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Black would be my choice over blue every time also.

Leah
05-30-2009, 12:35 PM
I was wondering did you use a roller to paint it? I have a blue plastic background I bet
the paint would look way better. And did you cover the top of the tank in anyway before
you painted. I was worried to paint the house because of the fumes. I am guessing this
is no big deal.

Myka
05-30-2009, 02:59 PM
There was a thread like this a while back and instead of it being "natural vs blue" it was "black vs blue", and black won. :D

Leah, I've used bother rollers and paint brushes to paint my tanks. It takes 2-3 coats to get a good non-translucent color going. The only shabby thing is that is does scrape off easily when you're messing around behind the tank. It's easy to touch up though! :)

Piscez
05-30-2009, 04:58 PM
I was wondering did you use a roller to paint it? I have a blue plastic background I bet
the paint would look way better. And did you cover the top of the tank in anyway before
you painted. I was worried to paint the house because of the fumes. I am guessing this
is no big deal.

I used a foam brush, the blue plastic has a tendancy to lift from the glass espcially if you get some water back there, where as obvious the paint doesn't allow that, but to each their own. I do have glass covers which I put on as a precaution but I realy don't think it's neccessary. I happen to have a window close by for good ventilation and it dries very quickly. I needed 3 coats. As Myka mentioned it's easy to scrape off any way. Thanks again everyone I appreciate your input the colour really is a personal choice, I was more at odds with leaving it natural or painted.

Leah
05-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks~Piscez

Jack
05-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Use latex based paint instead, it works great. Tremclad has a lot of harsh fumes.

geobee
06-01-2009, 03:37 AM
I'd go black over blue, but blue over natural, honestly its whatever you prefer!

ElGuappo
06-01-2009, 06:25 AM
i have only painted the back of one of my tanks and i like it because it hides all the wires, AC70 HOB refuge, etc.

banditpowdercoat
06-01-2009, 12:04 PM
My tanks are all black backgrounds

JDigital
06-01-2009, 04:10 PM
I have painted all my tanks except 1 (which was my 20G)..

75G is Blue (adhesive vinyl.. Thx yeeg)
10G Contest Tank was black
20G Refuge on my big system is painted an off white, to promote algae growth
187G will be black
30G Cube gets painted today. Black.

Piscez
06-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Thanks guys, well I did go ahead and complete the blue background and I'm really liking it especially as the matures and the look evolves, here's a final pic:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll35/20Works4me/Aquarium/Fullbluebackground.jpg?t=1244857322

There's a red striped section that is just a reflection from the blinds on the opposite window