PDA

View Full Version : its official

StirCrazy
05-20-2009, 11:39 PM
well just removed the conditions for purchasing a house in kamloops today. no more ugly island winters for me :mrgreen:.

now come the hard part, figuring out where to build a tank in the new house. :cry:

Steve

Delphinus
05-20-2009, 11:42 PM
The Island has winters?

Er, I mean .. good luck with the move. :mrgreen:

well just removed the conditions for purchasing a house in kamloops today. no more ugly island winters for me :mrgreen:.

now come the hard part, figuring out where to build a tank in the new house. :cry:

Steve

karazy
05-20-2009, 11:51 PM
what do you mean he sad part? its an opportunity for a new tank!!

StirCrazy
05-20-2009, 11:52 PM
The Island has winters?

Er, I mean .. good luck with the move. :mrgreen:

um, ya, well more like 9 months of rain, wind, and close to zero temps.

and no sun.

did I mention you don't get to see the sun much in the winter here.. ? :mrgreen:

no luck needed with the move, I am not doing it the millitary is.. so I get to sit and drink a beer while packers pack, and movers move, then packers unpack... my kinda moving

StirCrazy
05-20-2009, 11:56 PM
what do you mean he sad part? its an opportunity for a new tank!!

yes, yes it is.. but it is trying to find a place where I can actualy build it the way I want.. idealy I was looking for a place that had a room with a common wall to the family room. I have that but it is the laundry room and the admeral has already determined that the rest of the laundry room is to be built into here sewing room haha..

would have been perfect.. a fish tank built into the wall of the bar attached to the rec room...

Steve

Leah
05-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Umm, I wonder what the weather is like in Kamloops during winter.....if it is bad on the
island. Better save a lot of that beer, you might need more it next winter, he he.

StirCrazy
05-21-2009, 01:52 AM
Umm, I wonder what the weather is like in Kamloops during winter.....if it is bad on the
island. Better save a lot of that beer, you might need more it next winter, he he.

its a little cooler, but much dryer and sunny :mrgreen: I grew up in Alberta so snow doesn't bother me, already looking at snowblowers :mrgreen:

seriously though the dampness here with the winter temps makes it feel much colder. to give you a comparason, when were were in Kamloops a couple months ago itwas -5 at night. it felt warmer than Victoria when it is +5 in the winter. The moisture content in the air is much higher so what you have is it can adsorb more heat faster from your body so it feels colder. also the dampness goes right through anything you put on. dryer air is way more simple to dress for and has a lower heat capacity than moist air so it doesn't cool you as fast.

it is the same as when we talk about the humidex in the summer, the temp is say 25 but it feels like 32. in the winter it is oposit, if you have a high humidity the "feels like" part is lower than the actual temp.

Steve

marie
05-21-2009, 01:56 AM
its a little cooler, but much dryer and sunny :mrgreen: I grew up in Alberta so snow doesn't bother me, already looking at snowblowers :mrgreen:

seriously though the dampness here with the winter temps makes it feel much colder. to give you a comparason, when were were in Kamloops a couple months ago itwas -5 at night. it felt warmer than Victoria when it is +5 in the winter. The moisture content in the air is much higher so what you have is it can adsorb more heat faster from your body so it feels colder. also the dampness goes right through anything you put on. dryer air is way more simple to dress for and has a lower heat capacity than moist air so it doesn't cool you as fast.

it is the same as when we talk about the humidex in the summer, the temp is say 25 but it feels like 32. in the winter it is oposit, if you have a high humidity the "feels like" part is lower than the actual temp.

Steve

The problem with Kamloops is the summers, you can dress for the cold no matter whether its dry or wet... once your down to the skin there is nothing left to take off when it's approaching 40c

StirCrazy
05-21-2009, 03:49 AM
The problem with Kamloops is the summers, you can dress for the cold no matter whether its dry or wet... once your down to the skin there is nothing left to take off when it's approaching 40c

yup and I love the heat. and I think after spending 6 months in 50 to 58 degrees C that will be a nice treat. :mrgreen:

seriously though, I have been in kamloops when it was 42 and rather enjoyed it. besides the house we bought has central air :wink:

Steve

wolf_bluejay
05-21-2009, 04:44 AM
seriously though, I have been in kamloops when it was 42 and rather enjoyed it. besides the house we bought has central air :wink:

Steve

Yup, central air is a must. I just replaced my old one with a heat pump. The sad part -- the old 2 ton compressor would actually NOT keep up with the heat last summer (got to about 42). I grew up here, so it is always funny to watch people fall over from heat exhaustion when they are new here. Outside with 40+ weather and 0% humidity you DO need to drink about 1 liter per hour.

Winters are kinda strange here. Some years, there is a LOT of snow and it stays warm. Others (like last year) stay above +5 for most of the winter and then drop to -15 or so for about 3 weeks and then warm back up.

Anyways, welcome to Kamloops, and if you need any help with a new tank, I'm always kicking around, once I finish my own reno's though :)

Myka
05-21-2009, 04:55 AM
Oh sure...the Interior gets an interesting new reefer, and I moved away! :lol:

StirCrazy
05-21-2009, 04:55 AM
Yup, central air is a must. I just replaced my old one with a heat pump. The sad part -- the old 2 ton compressor would actually NOT keep up with the heat last summer (got to about 42). I grew up here, so it is always funny to watch people fall over from heat exhaustion when they are new here. Outside with 40+ weather and 0% humidity you DO need to drink about 1 liter per hour.

I can imaging, in the gulf they were making us drink 3L/ hour and we were only allowed to work 20 min out side then 40 min in an air conditions space relaxing as it was almost 70 with the humidity.

he for snowfalls, how often and how much at a time on average (for a normal winter)....... I am trying to decide which snowblower to buy this fall :mrgreen:

Steve

StirCrazy
05-21-2009, 04:58 AM
Oh sure...the Interior gets an interesting new reefer, and I moved away! :lol:

interesting.. hmmm I'll take that as a complament I hope. :mrgreen:

the interesting part thought is what I am going to do for work.. as I haven't got a clue LOL.. I figured I would just be retired till after christmas then look for something.. I am getting my class 1 this summer just incase though.

Steve

wolf_bluejay
05-21-2009, 05:14 AM
I can imaging, in the gulf they were making us drink 3L/ hour and we were only allowed to work 20 min out side then 40 min in an air conditions space relaxing as it was almost 70 with the humidity.

he for snowfalls, how often and how much at a time on average (for a normal winter)....... I am trying to decide which snowblower to buy this fall :mrgreen:

Steve

Well, the 40 is not to bad once you get used to the 0% humidity. I spend some time in a place that was about 30C and 100% hum. It was horrible. And I hate to use this term, but you'll get "snot rocks" for the first little while.

As for the snow blower -- unless you have a really big driveway, don't bother. There was one year a while back that we had about 4 feet of snow over the winter. But, the worst lately was last year where we had about 12" over 3 days. I have a tiny driveway I I don't even own a real snow shovel. I used my daughters play snow shovel to take care of the walk. I guess the norm is that you have to shovel a few inches about 5 times a winter.

Myka
05-21-2009, 05:19 AM
Interesting as in one of the more knowlegable peeps on the board.

I got my Class 3 last September and worked all winter on the oil rigs. Now that was good money! I got laid off along with 95% of the oilfield in mid-March. Couldn't find a Class 3 job, so I got my Class 1 a month ago. Still tough to find a decent paying job with little experience. Don't count on the Class 1 getting you good income...it's tough to do when you have no experience. About 75% of the companies won't even look at your resume if you have less than 2 years experience, and most of the companies that will hire people with little or no experience are P&D peddle runs (hand bombing...very tough work). I was lucky enough to find a job that pays the same as peddle runs, but I don't work near as hard. :D I transfer trailers from yard to yard across the city for Maple Leaf. It's a lot of getting out and coupling/uncoupling, so it keeps me fit, which I like, but it's not slave labor either!! :lol:

StirCrazy
05-21-2009, 05:26 AM
Don't count on the Class 1 getting you good income...it's tough to do when you have no experience. About 75% of the companies won't even look at your resume if you have less than 2 years experience, and most of the companies that will hire people with little or no experience are P&D peddle runs (hand bombing...very tough work). I was lucky enough to find a job that pays the same as peddle runs, but I don't work near as hard. :D I transfer trailers from yard to yard across the city for Maple Leaf. It's a lot of getting out and coupling/uncoupling, so it keeps me fit, which I like, but it's not slave labor either!! :lol:

I got a in.:wink: was told if I get my class 1, I can have a job driving regional (between west coast and alberta) when ever I want to start, just not sure if thats what I want to do yet. got a line on driving school bus also, but also wanted it to cover any other class as there are a few jobs I am looking at that want you to have a class 3 to drive the work trucks.. but I may just go back to school. I am lucky in the way that I have my pension from the millitary so I don't have to make a killing just a deicent wage.

Steve

Myka
05-21-2009, 05:55 AM
Ya I want to make a killing. ;) I'm young, I need to. :lol: I had all sorts of ins, but when it really came down to it there is such a slow up in the economy right now that my ins didn't work. Ha!

wolf_bluejay
05-21-2009, 06:51 AM
I got a in.:wink: was told if I get my class 1, I can have a job driving regional (between west coast and alberta) when ever I want to start, just not sure if thats what I want to do yet. got a line on driving school bus also, but also wanted it to cover any other class as there are a few jobs I am looking at that want you to have a class 3 to drive the work trucks.. but I may just go back to school. I am lucky in the way that I have my pension from the millitary so I don't have to make a killing just a deicent wage.

Steve

I always get a chuckle out of the whole school bus driver thing -- they say the number one requirement to driver school bus is "grey hair" (I know most of the drivers around here). Plus -- it may sound crazy (and don't quote me), but it always helps to mention salt water reefing to one of the guys that you talk to about being a school bus driver wink wink, nudge nudge. The hours do suck a bit (early mornings) but those that do actually like the work they do. That, and the Kamloops/thompson school district runs one of the largest bus fleets around as it's pretty big geographically.

reef bound
05-21-2009, 05:16 PM
I may have missed it, but where did you end up in Kamloops? Was it the Dallas place or some other one? Wherever, WELCOME!

StirCrazy
05-21-2009, 11:34 PM
I may have missed it, but where did you end up in Kamloops? Was it the Dallas place or some other one? Wherever, WELCOME!

nope, just relized I never posted where LOL.

ya it is in Dallas but on the river side of the hi-way off the pat road turnoff.

Steve

StirCrazy
05-21-2009, 11:35 PM
I always get a chuckle out of the whole school bus driver thing -- they say the number one requirement to driver school bus is "grey hair"

hmm, I am realy starting to resemble that requirment :cry:

Steve

reef bound
05-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Nice choice, on the river side. You'll get lots of sun over there.

Bugsy
05-22-2009, 02:13 AM
One thing you won't have to worry about is the weather this year so far. If it does not warm up soon you won't have to use that central air.....:mrgreen:

Best of luck in your new location.....:biggrin: