PDA

View Full Version : Reef Salt Brand

Tony Vargas
05-15-2009, 02:15 AM
I am currently working on an article on the difference in salt brands. I see that the poll on this site are missing some of the other most popular brands of salt, and would like to start a new poll with the missing brand as well as the brands listed.

In addition, I would like to ask that you please describe what led to your decision. How did you evaluate the salt? What brand you used before and why was the change made. This may seem like a lot to ask, but bear in mine that many other readers will gain a clear understanding why the change was so important.

Here is a current list of the brands available to the Reef hobbyist.

Coral Life
D-D H2Ocean Pro
Instant Ocean
Kent
Oceanic
Oceanic Pure
Oceanic Pure Pro
Red Sea Pro
Reef Crystals
Sifto
Tropic Marin

Thank you all for your assistance with this project.

Aquattro
05-15-2009, 02:53 AM
Sifto? Ya, I use that one. I used Reefer's Best, but the sifto is cheaper. It kills all my stuff, but I've saved tons of money. :)
Your list is not complete....

chandigz
05-15-2009, 03:54 AM
What about seachem marine/reef?

whatcaneyedo
05-15-2009, 05:39 AM
Unless you're specifically after a Canadian opinion you might find this site/link more relevant:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1287118

Sifto? You might want to read this also:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-11/rhf/index.php

Red Coral Aquariums
05-15-2009, 06:08 AM
seachem reef salt

Tony Vargas
05-15-2009, 10:48 AM
I have added a couple of salt brand I had over looked. I am not very familiar with the Canadian market so all your help is appreciated. Let me know what other brands I may have overlooked. This research that I am trying to accomplish will only involve the Canadian market place.

I have also added a voting poll, if you do not want to answer the questions please vote.

Aquattro
05-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Reefers Best. It's missing from the poll. Previously used Kent, found too much precipitation in mixing bucket.

banditpowdercoat
05-15-2009, 01:31 PM
IO here, prety much best bang for the buck, even with dosing

Tony Vargas
05-15-2009, 02:11 PM
I did miss Reefers Best, I tryed up-dating the Poll but it would not let me. Is there a way to get that done? I would like to add Reefers Best and Other.

whatcaneyedo
05-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I use two brands at the same time but your poll wont allow me to pick two. Instant Ocean with a Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate mix because it is inexpensive and has high alkalinity but low magnesium. Then in another mixing container I use Seachem Reef Salt because it isnt that much more expensive and has balanced magnesium and high calcium. I go though 40gal of newly mixed up saltwater every week so cost is a big consideration for me. In the past I've also tried Tropic Marine (too expensive), Kent (unreliable and now unavailable where I live) and RedSea (also now unavailable).

Tony Vargas
05-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Whatcaneyedo, this is very good information, this is what I'm looking for. If you can, just vote for the salt you use the most of.

Thanks,

Johnny Reefer
05-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Reefer's Best for my Reef tank.
IO for my FOWLR.
But my FOWLR isn't really a FOWLR anymore. I have some Shrooms, Palys and LPS in there. I also run ZeoVit on both tanks. Because of these factors, I'm likely going to go with just Reefer's Best once the IO is used up.
Long story, short....Reefer's Best.

Tom R
05-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Instant Ocean

Because it is inexpensive and has high alkalinity but low Magnesium and Calcium.

I add a Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate mix to bring the Magnesium up to (1300 - 1400).

I also add Calcium Chloride to bring the Calcium up to (400 - 450).

Lately I have been doing water changes of 60G on a 525G system once every 6 weeks.

Tom R

Tony Vargas
05-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I want to thank everyone, this is very good information, that can be very useful.

Keep it Coming, keep it coming, more, more, more.

paddyob
05-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Hey you failed to include other great products like meer salts, BioSea and they have one more blend marine something or other. all three by the same company. i use biosea and its awesome. i tried others but this one has had the greatest results in my tank. I used IO at first cause its cheaper than a happy meal, then tried oceanic and SeaChem. of all of them, i found BioSea Mixes consistently, and my corals love it. once i switched to it i knew that was it. tank has never been better.

mseepman
05-15-2009, 05:20 PM
I am now using Reefer's Best because I can get it from J&L. Mixes okay, seems to create a film on top of the mix no matter what I do to try and mix it properly. I find I need to suppliment with this salt.

I prefer to use Marine Environment or Biosea, but I have to ship it in from Edmonton and mixing the 2 part Marine Environment gets to be tough with my tanks being as small as they are. Both of these mixed really well and I didn't find much if any need to suppliment.

Started with IO but it left the mixing bucket filthy and never mixed well.

muck
05-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Welcome to Canreef Tony!!

P.S. If you would like to add some more salt brands to your poll let me know. I can add them for you.

Reefer Rob
05-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Instant Ocean

For the price, I've never had any problem with it, and I see a lot of successful reefs run with it.

Tried Seachem: Terrible, coated my mixing tank with calcium carbonate, started STN on a couple of acros

Tried TMP: Didn't notice any difference in coral health after 3 buckets, but I liked not having to correct levels

marie
05-15-2009, 09:18 PM
I've been using IO for the last 15yrs without any problems and I don't see any reason to change :biggrin:

muck
05-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I've been using IO for the last 15yrs without any problems and I don't see any reason to change :biggrin:
Jeepers with the growth rate you are getting on your fuzzy sticks I wouldn't change a damn thing either!! :razz:

Skimmerking
05-15-2009, 10:02 PM

Me too for INSTANT OCEAN going on 8 years

im not as old as Marie is.. 15 years you old maid:razz:

Tony Vargas
05-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Welcome to Canreef Tony!!

P.S. If you would like to add some more salt brands to your poll let me know. I can add them for you.

Muck,

It would aid this poll if you can please add the additional brands for me and “other” for any salt brand that may be over looked.

In addition, thank you for the welcome.

Thank you for your assistance.

Tony Vargas
05-15-2009, 11:09 PM

From what I’ve gathered Marie, you must have an awesome tank, any photos?

marie
05-15-2009, 11:11 PM
From what I’ve gathered Marie, you must have an awesome tank, any photos?

Umm, 1 or 2 kicking around :redface: :lol:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45755

marie
05-16-2009, 12:04 AM

im not as old as Marie is.. 15 years you old maid:razz:

Remind me to buy you the book "How to win friends and influence people" for your next birthday, Mike :razz:

Myka
05-16-2009, 01:01 AM
IO here, prety much best bang for the buck, even with dosing

Yep. I've tried quite a few other brands, but have noticed no difference in livestock, and I still had to dose...so...?

saltynuts
05-16-2009, 02:40 AM
IO for me.
but would like to try d-d h2ocean but can,t find it in edmonton.

fencer
05-16-2009, 03:43 AM
Josh had some H20 in his store

iansfishy
05-16-2009, 03:52 AM
started with IO and slowly went into H2O which is what I use now, but a nagging voice in my head is telling me Im getting screwed $$$. I never had a problem with IO or even the one bucket of reefcrystals I used, kinda considering going back to IO, or at least mixing half IO and half H20. the savings in a year are pretty substantial.

MikeP
05-16-2009, 06:00 AM
I'm not sure if this is relevant to the reason behind this thread but I heard that IO/Reef Crystals was bought out by another company. Has anyone else heard this? If it's true will there be any changes that us reefers should know about?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-16-2009, 08:22 AM
I've been using both Ocean Pure Pro & Instant Ocean without any problems that I can pinpoint as being caused by the salt.

One of my good friends has been using IO for years with excellent results & phenomenal SPS growth. (ie. Good enough for Marie, good enough for my reef tank).

So many reefers I've heard who keep switching to the newest, more expensive brands have had lots of problems with their tanks.

Personally, I think a lot of the problems reefers encounter are due to our "need" to change things just for the sake of change. When things are doing fine in our tank, we still feel the need to switch salts, upgrade equipment, etc. rather than let our corals tell us when a change is needed.

While I do not do frequent water changes, when I do one, its usually 100 to 120 gallons & I cannot justify the price of premium salt, like H2O, when my corals are "happy" with the regular salt.

For instance, I just did a 120g water change (representing a 50+% water change by volume) last weekend with IO salt and my corals are all fully expanded and the sps have lots of polyps extended. Several SPS that browned out due to transportation & Interceptor stress a few weeks ago have now recovered their colour and are showing great polyp extension. I dose Magnesium, Calcium, and Iodine regularly. Usually use Liquid Reactor as well.

Even if I use a premium salt, to keep up all the trace mineral levels, I would have to do frequent water changes or continue dosing.

Here's the math behind my reasoning. Many reefers do a monthly 10% water change. That removes 10% of the accumulated buildup of nutrients and adds 10% new water. Unless that 10% new water is supersaturated with all the minerals to replenish the depleted levels in the old 90%, you're going to have to dose anyways (via Ca reactor, pump, or other means). Therefore, I kind of think that paying a huge price premium for salt with optimum Ca & other trace minerals is NOT cost effective if you're going to have to continue dosing anyways within a few days of doing a water change to maintain mineral levels. I would rather pay less for a decent salt like IO and save my money for livestock & other reef-related expenses.

That is why I have NEVERr been tempted by these super expensive premium salts.

Sorry for the essay.

Anthony

steve fedyk
05-16-2009, 02:11 PM
I started with tropic marin but the store I go to dosen't carry it any more. Then I switched to reefer best because I,m giviing zeovit a good try and figure I would follow they're instruction and use all they're product.

RSM
05-16-2009, 08:32 PM
I have been using reef crystals. I like how there is no need to dose anything especially with my busy schedule. It keeps things at natural levels. I dont keep many SPS, so there is no need for higher levels of Ca or Mg.

Myka
05-16-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Anthony. Here's my thinking:

I use IO, and when I do water changes I dose my fresh saltwater before adding it to the tank to 440 cal, 11 dKH alk (IO is 11 dKH on its own), and 1360 mag, and if I do weekly 15-20% water changes I don't have to dose the tank directly at all. Before I do my weekly water change my cal will be 400 ish, dKH will be 8 ish, and mag will be 1348 ish, and after the water change cal will be about 415, 9 dKH alk, and 1350 ppm mag. So there isn't a very large swing in the levels, and I don't have to dose the tank directly.

RuGlu6
05-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Switched from KZ Reefers Best to a D-D H2O due to a luck of Magnesium in KZ Reefers Best.
My water change is only 5 gal and don't want testing and dosing, so this justifies premium salt.

Aquattro
05-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Switched from KZ Reefers Best to a D-D H2O due to a luck of Magnesium in KZ Reefers Best.
My water change is only 5 gal and don't want testing and dosing, so this justifies premium salt.

And I just had my water tested for Mg and it was mid 1300's using RB salt. Go figure.

Tony Vargas
05-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Thank you all for all this very valuable information.

Tony Vargas
05-17-2009, 04:13 PM
I would like to thank all the people who have voted. I’m providing everyone here a link to a similar Poll taken in the UK for analysis. http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=303447 As you can see from the results they are very different, over 75% of the Pollies use pro salts, are they wrong?

Furthermore, I’m curious as to why is it that some people purchase salt brands that require buffering (be it calcium, magnesium or alkalinity), instead of purchasing a good quality salt that is balanced from the start?

Wouldn’t it be more cost effective to purchase quality salt from the beginning and not concern yourself with products that require alteration of its water chemistry?

reefmutt
05-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Tony, Thanks for getting this poll started.
I am happily surprised to see how well D-D H2Ocean pro salt is doing considering it has only been on the market for around 2 years.
Obviously, I voted for it as I distribute it in Canada AND use it exclusively in my 300 gallon sps tank at home.
I've used many salts in the past with mixed results. Instant ocean being on of the most commonly used by me, with perfectly fine results. I've also used Biosea, Kent and reef crystals.
Being a salesman as well as a hobbyist puts me in a funny position..
Here's what I like about H2Ocean pro:
Great magnesium levels, which lead to more stable calcium levels. And better stability over all.
It's not buffered too high or over fortified with calcium, so precipitation issues are reduced.
It has very good consistency from batch to batch.
Most of all, though, because it is produced from dried sea water, I find that the corals really thrive in it. They do better than just survive and grow. This salt provides all of the minor trace elements and minerals found in the ocean.
Where I see the biggest potential benefit is in my corals resistance to unexpected adverse conditions, should they arise.
Super healthy corals will handle a heat wave, for example better than corals that are just doing ok. They will handle stress due to lights being left on by a faulty timer, or from a pesky fish that suddenly takes a liking to a certain coral, or a skimmer that stops working while you are away for the weekend.
In the long run, a more expensive, fortified salt may even save you a few bucks since you probably wont have as many unexplained coral deaths.
Within 3 months of setting up my tank, I had many healthy and thriving sps in my tank and I think that the success I had early on was because of the quality of the H2Ocean salt.
Sorry for the essay and the sales pitch- take it with a grain of salt!
But, its all true!

Matt
Xenia North America

marie
05-17-2009, 09:50 PM
I would like to thank all the people who have voted. I’m providing everyone here a link to a similar Poll taken in the UK for analysis. http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=303447 As you can see from the results they are very different, over 75% of the Pollies use pro salts, are they wrong?

Furthermore, I’m curious as to why is it that some people purchase salt brands that require buffering (be it calcium, magnesium or alkalinity), instead of purchasing a good quality salt that is balanced from the start?

Wouldn’t it be more cost effective to purchase quality salt from the beginning and not concern yourself with products that require alteration of its water chemistry?
For me I started using IO because it was the only thing available to me at the time and I keep on using it because of the price, it is still cheaper then other salts after adding the cost of the extra Mg and cal

Tony Vargas
05-18-2009, 01:45 AM
For me I started using IO because it was the only thing available to me at the time and I keep on using it because of the price, it is still cheaper then other salts after adding the cost of the extra Mg and cal

Marie,

Thank you for your cander, it’s good to see that it’s all about practicality. It’s all about, what makes it convenient to the hobbyist!

Therefore, your decision is more about price and not about product. If the price were more in line, would you try other salt brands? In addition, if you were to try other salt brands, which would, they be?

Veng68
05-18-2009, 02:05 AM
If I knew were to track down all of the components (without buying 500+ pounds of the stuff) ...... I'd make my own salt.

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=233&t=271

Cheers,
Vic

marie
05-18-2009, 03:41 AM
Marie,

...If the price were more in line, would you try other salt brands?...

Probably not. After all, as I have said earlier, I have been using IO with no problems for 15 yrs and to be honest I'm not sure what "better" results I could get from a different brand of salt.

Myka
05-18-2009, 03:57 AM
I'm in the same boat as Marie having used IO since the early 90s. I've tried others, and haven't noticed any improvement in any organisms, so I always go back, plus as Marie said it's still cheaper to buffer the IO than buy premium salt. The only salt that calls my name these days is D-D H2Ocean simply because it is natural seasalt. That is my only draw to it. I am considered trying it out, but I have 1 1/2 buckets of IO to use up right now.

I just moved to this area, and around here D-D is $85 and IO is $65, so the price is closer than BC where D-D $80 and IO is $40-45. Both IO and D-D make similar amounts of mixed product seawater. I know I definitely have a hard time paying $65 for IO!! :eek: So I guess that's also a draw to D-D. ;)

Stuart Bertram D-D
05-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Tony, Thanks for getting this poll started.
I am happily surprised to see how well D-D H2Ocean pro salt is doing considering it has only been on the market for around 2 years.

Matt time flies when you are working and enjoying yourself - but not that fast.

The salt has actually only been in Canada for about 12 months and in many shops less than 10 months so an even better result to be so high in the poll after such a short time.

I must say that over here in the UK there are not so many people that would use a non reef salt, (pro salt), if they were serious reef keepers and they had loyalty to the Instant Ocean brand they would be using Reef crystals as the pro salt from the same company or Instant Ocean for a fish only tank.

The UK poll only shows 5.75% using Instant Ocean compared with 15.88% using Reef Crystals and this trend is reflectected in the other brands manufacturing both a fish salt and a reef salt.

After 12 months in the UK market H2Ocean is coming in at 36.5% which is an unbelievable result for the salt.

We hope that a few more people over there can get easy access to the product to see how good the results are from their corals.

Stuart

leducreef
07-11-2009, 05:15 AM
io is on sale for 38 bucks at petsmart right now

no_bs
07-11-2009, 05:54 AM
We use IO with RO. With prety good results.

BlueAbyss
07-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Well, I fudged my vote... I had intended on starting my tank with the H2Ocean Pro, but got antsy... and paid 100 bucks for a bucket of IO in Prince Albert. Funny how just over an hour away in Saskatoon (as Myka stated) that same bucket of IO is only 65 bucks... I should have had a bucket of H2Ocean Pro shipped, would have worked out to the same amount as my bucket of IO.

That said, my next bucket will be the D-D product, since my 25% weekly water change amounts to 2 1/2 gallons and I like the higher calcium and mag that it seems to offer... I have yet to start adjusting these with my IO (no livestock yet) but I can already see issues forming with dosing in a small tank, if the tank is a heavy user of calcium and magnesium.

Aquattro
07-11-2009, 03:56 PM
I started with tropic marin but the store I go to dosen't carry it any more. Then I switched to reefer best because I,m giviing zeovit a good try and figure I would follow they're instruction and use all they're product.

Pretty much the same reason here. But I agree with most, if you've been using IO for years, probably no good reason to change. I started this hobby around 1991, and really the only decent salt was IO. I used it, everyone I knew used it, including all the tanks I admired. By the time I learned how to grow SPS, I was in the trend of using IO (switching to Kent every now and then for higher Ca), and I got great results. Most of the longer term members here can recall the stupid growth I got, as well as many of the other SPS guys (Jamie, Marc, Shao, etc). Most used IO and got tremendous growth. Heck, the whole magnesium thing didn't even come about until the last few years. I never supplemented anything in my make up water, doing monthly 15% water changes. My Ca reactor would quickly balance out any defecencies, and my Ca always tested over 400, alk over 9, and Mg was just never a concern.
Based on this experience, if I were not using RBZ to support my attempt at the Zeovit method, I would use IO and not even consider switching.

StirCrazy
07-11-2009, 04:55 PM

because there is no such thing.. salt levels are a personal choice.. find one that is exactly NSW values for a reasonable price and I will buy it. do you know of a salt off hand that is consistantly
380Ca, 1380Mg, 11Dkh alk, for the main levels and then has all the other naturaly orcurring levels in the other traces?

I don't so I buy one that is the closest with the minimal amount of woth.. which is IO . I leave the Ca alone as it is usaly 380. I prefure a higher alk so I bump it up to 12 Dkh and then I make sure the Mg is proper.

all the pro reefs usaly have Ca levels that are to high and have you ever tried picking Ca particles out of salt mix.. its not fun...:wink:

also the issue is that all the driferent brands are some ones opinion of what they feel the salt should be alot of them are not even based on real oceans but rather on the latest chemical level trends in the hobby.

Steve

Aquattro
07-11-2009, 06:40 PM
The problem with any "perfectly balanced, proper levels salt" is that as soon as you add it to your tank, it changes. If you have a healthy tank with corals that are growing at a constant rate, without supplementation, you'll have noticeably less everything in 24 hours. So, you have to supplement the tank regardless, whether that's with 2 part mixes, kalk reactors, Ca reactors, etc, you must replace what the corals consume. Water changes alone will not suffice in a fully stocked reef.
So if I have to monitor and maintain levels in the tank, I'm not so concerned with the levels of the 10 or 15 % new water I add, it will adjust with my maintenance routine.

icecool217
07-12-2009, 08:13 PM
for those that buys IO salt, as stated by leducreef, it's on sale at Petsmart. Here is an additional $5 off $25 coupon.

http://petsmart-mail.com/P/v3/CouponWrapper.asp?E=835;784227;623389990;25;02&R=T1_CPN_50078&A=1007&ci=50078

Red Deer Reptiles
07-13-2009, 05:04 AM
tony? did you think of adding bio sea salt or marine environment salt to your list.just a thought.dan

BlueAbyss
07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm curious about these 2 part salt mixes... why do they come as 2 parts? Are they liquid?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-13-2009, 06:50 PM
The problem with any "perfectly balanced, proper levels salt" is that as soon as you add it to your tank, it changes. If you have a healthy tank with corals that are growing at a constant rate, without supplementation, you'll have noticeably less everything in 24 hours. So, you have to supplement the tank regardless, whether that's with 2 part mixes, kalk reactors, Ca reactors, etc, you must replace what the corals consume. Water changes alone will not suffice in a fully stocked reef.
So if I have to monitor and maintain levels in the tank, I'm not so concerned with the levels of the 10 or 15 % new water I add, it will adjust with my maintenance routine.

Yup, totally agree. The amount of chemically "perfect" salt you add with water changes first gets dilluted with the remaining old water & then gets depleted by the corals, clams & coraline algae that suck it up quickly in a growing reef tank.

Perhaps with a nano tank & weekly water changes, I could justify the added expense of the really "good" salts, but with just under 500 gallons of sw in the display & sump tanks, that is just not feasible.

Besides, my friend Marie (as I think I mentioned before) uses IO & probably has the fastest coral growth rates of anyone I know.

no_bs
07-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Wow $100 for a pail of IO. Wish we could get it out there for less. $39 all the time.

TonyR
07-20-2009, 12:41 PM
When adjusting a non balanced salt you do have to take into account ionic balances though. A balanced salt will have the correct chloride/sodium/sulphate ions. Adjusting a non balanced salt might throw the ionic balance out of wack. Short term not a problem but if using two part additives long term you could shift ionic values out of desirable ranges.
Using a balanced salt will help bring ionic levels back into line via regular water changes.

banditpowdercoat
07-20-2009, 03:02 PM
When adjusting a non balanced salt you do have to take into account ionic balances though. A balanced salt will have the correct chloride/sodium/sulphate ions. Adjusting a non balanced salt might throw the ionic balance out of wack. Short term not a problem but if using two part additives long term you could shift ionic values out of desirable ranges.
Using a balanced salt will help bring ionic levels back into line via regular water changes.

And which salts are ballanced?

TonyR
07-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Hiya
Any salt that when mixed delivers levels at or close to NSW. IO for instance needs adjusting so that means adding chlorides,sodium and Sulphates from the bucket.
So we mix up our salt to 1.025, check the levels and find we are low. We then add Calcium chloride,Sodium Bicarb/carbonate and Mag Chloride/Sulphate to the mix. Chlorides then get bumped up thus increasing salinity, sulphates and sodium(due to the Sodium Bicarb) also increases.
Now add to that a two part additive regime and one could find those ionic levels slowly creeping up over time.
As for a balanced salt then H20 pretty much hits the spot with regards to NSW levels out of the bucket.
Ive never been a fan of two part dosing due to the fact that without water changes chlorides, sodium etc can become elevated over time. How long might it take? I couldnt tell you but seeing as you cant tell or test then its pretty much a lottery imo.
The chlorides used in H20 are slightly lower, this allows for the addition of chlorides such as Magnesium Chloride or Calcium chloride if you choose to use as a two part method for your Ca/Alk regime.

TonyR
03-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi peeps

I realise that its been a while but thought you all might be interested in a recent article by Practical fish keeping (a very popular aquatic magazine in the u.k)

5 salts were tested, these being D-D H2O,Reef crystals,Tunze,Tetra and Red sea coral pro.

The salts were tested by an accredited laboratory and D-D was found to have a formula that was closest to Natural sea water with no additives needed to buffer the salt.

Further reading can be found here although the full article is only available in the magazine which may not be available in Canada.:sad:

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/h2ocean-given-practical-fish-keeping-magazines-best-test

All the best Tony

burtonpj48
03-19-2010, 09:23 PM
I currently use salinity, aquavitro salt. Its actually really good, I was using d-d h20cean, I like it too. Althou aquavitro has very good element levels. The only thing i dont like about aquavitro, is the salt has to be in the display for about 30 min to 1hr, after a 24 hr aeration, for it to clear up.