PDA

View Full Version : Feck - Plumbing woes...please help!

Myka
05-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Ok, dumbass here made a boo boo. My 90 is drilled in the bottom with a corner overflow, and dumbass here isn't used to a bottom drilled tank, so didn't take this into consideration when building the stand. The stand is finished now, so I'm hesitant to rip it apart (glued and screwed arg), but I have 2x4s on end (so 3 1/2" thick) right where the tank is drilled. #$%*@$%&@!!!!! So...I'm trying to figure out some brilliant idea to make this work with as little effort on my part. :lol:

The only two options I can think of are; rip the stand apart and move the framing, OR silicone a chunk of glass in the bottom of the overflow to cover up the holes, and drill the back of the tank. The second idea is pretty stupid...but it's easier. :lol:

Any thoughts?

AndyL
05-02-2009, 04:58 PM
slimline bulkhead and a false bottom on the stand? Basically lift up the tank a bit higher - so you can squeeze the plumbing through into a better spot... (Don't worry - we've all done it :D)

Aquattro
05-02-2009, 05:10 PM
I'd redo the stand.

Lance
05-02-2009, 06:06 PM
I'd redo the stand.

Ditto

Myka
05-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Ya ok, I will modify the stupid stand. :| It's the right way to do it...besides, I like the idea of being able to have the drains with no elbows to get plugged up. This tank is drilled so close to the edges though that I can't even fit a single 2x4 on end (1 1/2") under it. I will have to move the corner post over. It will look a little funny when it's opened up and the post isn't in the corner, but I don't have much choice. It's an AGA stand, and the tank is drilled only taking that 3/4" of the 1x4 into consideration. What dumb@$$ would do that? Don't people know these AGA stands are wussy? :lol: I might just redo it entirely, and design it to be a bit wider so I can at least fit the one 2x4 all the way to the corner. Haha thinking out loud here...yep gonna redo the whole thing.

slimline bulkhead and a false bottom on the stand? Basically lift up the tank a bit higher - so you can squeeze the plumbing through into a better spot... (Don't worry - we've all done it :D)

I actually did think of this too, but the stand is exactly the height I want it to be.

es355lucille
05-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Myka you will be a lot happier if you do re-do the stand.

I know its a PITA to re-do something that you have just completed.

We have all been through this at one time or another!

Myka
05-02-2009, 09:42 PM
I tossed the entire thing, and started making a new one. Dang...shoulda sold the stand before I wrecked it!! Makes the tank kinda expensive now. Coulda bought a brand new Reef Ready for the money... GRR. Now that's a **** off since I'm already a bit disappointed in the build quality of this tank. Plus the cost of the materials I've already put into the stand.