PDA

View Full Version : My Purple Hornet Zoanthids WONT OPEN

paddyob
04-22-2009, 10:40 PM
I bought purple hornet Zoos on sunday and they have not opened yet. i was told they came in rough but should be ok. bought them due to rarity. maybe they are rare for this reason. anyhow... wondering if anyone has had these zoos before... or a similar problem with zoos? any suggestions for me? all my other zoanthids Are doing good.

Rbacchiega
04-22-2009, 10:42 PM
sometimes it takes zoanthids a while to open up. I had some that didn't open for a couple weeks and then all of a sudden they were out and happy. Keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't withering away...

Ryan
04-22-2009, 10:46 PM
WHAT!!!!! I seen those when i was in there a week ago and he wouldnt sell them to me!

They are very nice Zoa's did you get the big piece they came in on or did you get some smaller frags.

naesco
04-22-2009, 10:49 PM
I bought purple hornet Zoos from aquarium illusions on sunday and they have not opened yet. i was told they came in rough but should be ok. bought them due to rarity. maybe they are rare for this reason. anyhow... wondering if anyone has had these zoos before... or a similar problem with zoos? any suggestions for me? all my other zoanthids Are doing good.

Did you carefully inspect to ensure that there are no parasites hiding between the zoas. If not do so now so that your other zoas do not become infected.

xtreme
04-22-2009, 11:00 PM
WHAT!!!!! I seen those when i was in there a week ago and he wouldnt sell them to me!

They are very nice Zoa's did you get the big piece they came in on or did you get some smaller frags.

Sorry to hijack but I am curious, are these the real purple hornet's or the look a likes? Is there more available?

Ryan
04-22-2009, 11:02 PM
I never seen them before so kind of took his word for it. I seen them and then went online after and they looked like purple hornets. i didnt get a good look at the skirt though. Maybe the OP could post a picture for us.

They looked really good in store and all of them except for 2 or 3 polyps were open when I seen them on thursday.

paddyob
04-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Did you carefully inspect to ensure that there are no parasites hiding between the zoas. If not do so now so that your other zoas do not become infected.

When you say parasite... what would it look like... there is a little pod like critter... kinda shiny running on it and has been since i got it.

paddyob
04-22-2009, 11:42 PM

i only got a frag thats on a piece of slate. i have other nice zoos and seem to be ok so im worried they have not opened.

Boomboy
04-23-2009, 12:01 AM
i too saw them but i thought they were blue steel zoas, anyways, didnt look like they were going to make it when i saw em so i didnt by them. but kinda thinking about it. good luck with them, they will probably die sorry bud. they were in rough condition, hopefully you can get at least one polyp to live.

paddyob
04-23-2009, 12:36 AM
i too saw them but i thought they were blue steel zoas, anyways, didnt look like they were going to make it when i saw em so i didnt by them. but kinda thinking about it. good luck with them, they will probably die sorry bud. they were in rough condition, hopefully you can get at least one polyp to live.

they were not open when i was there... They Showed me a pic in a reef magazine and said that was them. hmmm. whats the difference?

Boomboy
04-23-2009, 12:47 AM
maybe you were looking at different ones.

paddyob
04-23-2009, 01:34 AM
maybe you were looking at different ones.

Always possible but it was one of the guys who grabbed the mag and showed me. either way. seems like a fungus is developing. guy at the shop said other ones have already died and the supplier said "he has got a couple calls about that" what can you do... even the best shops sell you **** From time to time. its how they stay in biz and we keep shopping. ha ha. ill be bitter if they die... regardless Of species

Ron99
04-23-2009, 02:08 AM
Try some iodine dips. 5 to 10 minutes every other day for 2 or 3 days. I had some white fungus developing on some palys and it cleared it right up. Worth a shot.

paddyob
04-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Try some iodine dips. 5 to 10 minutes every other day for 2 or 3 days. I had some white fungus developing on some palys and it cleared it right up. Worth a shot.

I removed all the fungus like stuff by hand in an attempt to stop it. ill try an iodine dip tonight. any brand better to use then Others?

noirsphynx
04-23-2009, 02:16 PM
I lost mine too but I'm not convinced they were PH. They much more resembled AOI on zoaid.com. I also looked up Blue Steel zoa's and these ones weren't as blue as the BS, they were more purple like the AOI.

paddyob
04-23-2009, 03:22 PM
I lost mine too but I'm not convinced they were PH. They much more resembled AOI on zoaid.com. I also looked up Blue Steel zoa's and these ones weren't as blue as the BS, they were more purple like the AOI.

Unfortunately i may never know what mine are for sure if they dont open.

Ron99
04-23-2009, 03:44 PM
I removed all the fungus like stuff by hand in an attempt to stop it. ill try an iodine dip tonight. any brand better to use then Others?

I'm not sure if any one is better than the others. I used Seachem Reef Dip. It says it has stuff to help with the coral's slime coat in addition to the iodine so maybe that is a bit better than plain Lugol's.

paddyob
04-23-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure if any one is better than the others. I used Seachem Reef Dip. It says it has stuff to help with the coral's slime coat in addition to the iodine so maybe that is a bit better than plain Lugol's.

Easy? assume product comes with good instructions?

Ron99
04-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Easy? assume product comes with good instructions?

Yes. Just take some water from the tank in a container, add the appropriate amount of Reef Dip (I actually used about 2.5 times the recommended amount which won't hurt the corals for the short exposure) and drop them in there for 10 minutes or so. Shake them off and put back in tank.

mseepman
04-23-2009, 04:16 PM
There's some pretty big threads out on RC about using vitamin C to help zoas do well. some people there mentioned that this cleared up all fungus issues as well. Maybe check some of that out.

Hope they live for you.

paddyob
04-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Yes. Just take some water from the tank in a container, add the appropriate amount of Reef Dip (I actually used about 2.5 times the recommended amount which won't hurt the corals for the short exposure) and drop them in there for 10 minutes or so. Shake them off and put back in tank.

Ill start tonight. thanks alot. i really hope its not too late. ill let you know what happens. kinda spider web looking stuff. agh

Ron99
04-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Good luck!

paddyob
04-24-2009, 12:23 AM
So today i did my first ever coral dip. a friend of mine gave me some seachem Reef Dip. i used a cap to about a gallon. soaked for 15 Minutes. the fungus may be too much but who knows. saving these beauties is all i can think about. ill be on a quest if i lose them. crossing fingers and hoping it pans out.

midgetwaiter
04-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Man I hope these pull through for you, they're so nice. Shaun lost his, turns out he had a 3 foot long elucid worm in his tank. He said the bastard actually grabbed the rock they were on and dragged it back to it's burrow.

paddyob
04-27-2009, 06:45 AM
Its official. my purple hornets Have died. not too happy as just threw away My money. wont be spending much more at local stores... not that i can blame anyone... but stuff is more affordable on line and less of a loss if poor quality. and hey... since discovering canreef . keep sharing and trading between us and start leaving the more delicate things in the ocean. i am gonna push canreef To anyone not on here. Lesson learn

paddyob
04-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Deleted

Ryan
04-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Aquarium Illusions (this is where you bought your Zoa's was it not) has thier own coral farm and sells their frags pretty cheap. Even if you bring your frags down to 5 or 10 dollars whats that going to accomplish? People are still going to go there because of the convinience plus whether you want to admit it or not eventually your going to need a LFS sooner or later.

I assume you bought the bigger piece. I seen it and almost every polyps was open when I was looking at it. Its too bad you killed it, that was a nice piece.

subman
04-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Aquarium Illusions (this is where you bought your Zoa's was it not) has thier own coral farm and sells their frags pretty cheap. Even if you bring your frags down to 5 or 10 dollars whats that going to accomplish? People are still going to go there because of the convinience plus whether you want to admit it or not eventually your going to need a LFS sooner or later.

I assume you bought the bigger piece. I seen it and almost every polyps was open when I was looking at it. Its too bad you killed it, that was a nice piece.

You must be on AI's payroll! I support all the LFS in Edmonton but to say that there frags are cheapis simply not true! :sad:
I buy 90% of my frags from other canreefer's and they are always cheaper and in great condition.

Paddyob I'm sure you didn't KILL IT as Ryan put it but we have all had thing that died and I'm sure you did everything you could to keep it alive, sometimes it's just not meant to be!

Drock169
04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
I know how it feels to lose an expensive zoa frag, my PPE frag i got from wicked frags didnt make it, it never opened for me in any of the 3 tanks I put it in and then developed an infection. I dont blame dave though it just part of the hobby.

paddyob
04-28-2009, 12:43 AM
mine was a $30 Frag. was not open when i bought it.

paddyob
04-28-2009, 12:47 AM
You must be on AI's payroll! I support all the LFS in Edmonton but to say that there frags are cheapis simply not true! :sad:
I buy 90% of my frags from other canreefer's and they are always cheaper and in great condition.

Paddyob I'm sure you didn't KILL IT as Ryan put it but we have all had thing that died and I'm sure you did everything you could to keep it alive, be!

Ryan sent some dumb crap To my email too. . blocked Him

paddyob
04-28-2009, 12:53 AM
It is partially my fault for buying it in the shaPe it was. They Should not have sold them. and dude i got a green bubble tip on here. $20. No retailer would sell that low. plus the free stuff on here for trades. can reef is great.

midgetwaiter
04-28-2009, 01:46 AM
It is partially my fault for buying it in the share it was. but AI Should not have sold them.

I usually avoid this kind of thing but I can't let this one go. You knew they were in a bad state, Shaun told you he was worried about them. It's not like you weren't provided all the information you needed to make an informed decision.

Don't try and play this like you weren't told there could be a problem.

paddyob
04-28-2009, 08:18 AM
I usually avoid this kind of thing but I can't let this one go. You knew they were in a bad state, Shaun told you he was worried about them. It's not like you weren't provided all the information you needed to make an informed decision.

Don't try and play this like you weren't told there could be a problem.

My previous post admits it was partially my fault. you see... shaun Is my friend. i dont want to be angry or upset at someone i know. i admitted fault

paddyob
04-28-2009, 02:15 PM
After a discussion with somebody i respect, i admit my frustration has gotten the best of me and that the retailer in question took alot of the brunt. i apologize to anyone who was indirectly, or. directly affected. they know who they are and there is no reason to list them. any comments? PM Them to me. i will respond .

Ryan
04-29-2009, 05:11 AM
Ryan sent some dumb crap To my email too. . blocked Him

HAHAHA are you still mad about me not wanting to sell you my wrasse. Aww its ok Wes has taken him and he had PM'd me about him after about 1min posted so dont get ****y with me. I still got the PM's to show you were the one who contacted me and I sent you packing.

shaun Is my friend
Thats not what I heard today when I talked to Shaun, maybe you should go in and talk to him. BTW its not partly your fault, it is your fault. If you were in anyway uneasy about these frags living you shouldnt have bought them. You knew what they were and what kind of shape they were in when you bought them.

No subman I am not on the pay roll but I support and push any vendor that has good stock, great customer service and great prices. No you cant get frags as cheap as you can from your buddy on canreef but sometime you have to go out of the pool to get odd & unusual.

Doug
04-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Ok guys. Take the crap to pm please.
Sorry but the threads closed.