PDA

View Full Version : nano Skimmers?

Steve-O-
04-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Hello i was searching JL for a hang on skimmer and i saw 2

Rio Nano Hang-On Protein Skimmer
and
Red Sea Prizm Hang-On Skimmer

Now im looking for somthing for my 10g that works well and isn't to expensive anyone know how well these skimmers perform?

paddyob
04-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Prizm Would be over kill. i run the rio nano On my 20 And it is too much. you dont need to skim a small tank so i have found from time to time i turn mine off as my tank does worse with 24-7 Skimming. but i highly recommend the rio nano.

Steve-O-
04-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Prizm Would be over kill. i run the rio nano On my 20 And it is too much. you dont need to skim a small tank so i have found from time to time i turn mine off as my tank does worse with 24-7 Skimming. but i highly recommend the rio nano.

Nice thanks for the info, do you mean i should maybe hook it up to a timer let it run a few hours a day or should i run it a couple days a week just wanna keep my tank as healthy as possible :) this site been so helpful so far thanks for all the info!!!
Also how often do u change those filters in the Rio?? i read 4-5weeks so if it doesnt run much should get longer life from the filters or the same lifespan??

TheMikey
04-11-2009, 12:41 PM
If you're putting 10-12 lbs of live rock in your 10G and running a low bioload (probably 2 fish + CUC) you won't need a skimmer as long as you do consistent water changes.

paddyob
04-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Dont use a timer. just run it a few days to clean and then off for a few. timer wont work as it does not self prime. i use HBH Carbon pad for filter. change only when "obviously" ready. its awesome but unnecessary for even my 20. but if you want one... try the rio nano

raisemyrent
04-13-2009, 05:05 AM
I agree, I run the rio nano and it workes well.. I am obsessed with skimming, so we wont go there, but it is enough. I mess with the skimmer often, so every now and then it doesnt work (because it takes a while to get going again)... I used the carbon filter whiloe I was breaking the tank in and all the ammonia was high and nitrites, and then it got firty and I threw it out and never replaced it.

I ran an 8 gal for years with a very similar set up... it works so long as you have proper live rock, as mentioned before.

paddyob
04-13-2009, 05:30 AM
I had trouble setting it but finally contacted rio direct. the included instructions were bunk but the rep gave me instructions and it runs without an issue. it kept losing its siphon and stopping. but once its set... which is a two minute fix it never stops.

Steve-O-
04-13-2009, 07:41 AM
thanks for all the info i got 10lbs of LR and 20lbs of sand in my 10g im gonna order the skimmer anyways seems like a good buy. Gonna setup a small fuge as well, thanks again for all the info i have pics ill post them tomorrow.

RuGlu6
04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
There is never enough skimming imo, so i would get the biggest skimmer that your system can take.
The worst thing can happen is you get cleaner water rich in O2.
i run two skimmers on my 60 gal tank Deltec (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/DD-P0600E/Deltec+MCE-600+Protein+Skimmer.html) rated up to 120 gal and Tunze (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/tz-ps9015/Tunze+DOC+Protein+Skimmer+-+9015.html) rated from 58 to 500 gal (!?) And i like 'em both.

Snaz
04-13-2009, 01:05 PM
There is never enough skimming imo, so i would get the biggest skimmer that your system can take.
The worst thing can happen is you get cleaner water rich in O2.

There are some who think skimmers remove more than waste. Some of those proteins, sugars and other complex carbon chains removed could potentially be used by the tank's inhabitants. Many reefers especially nano reefers prefer regular water changes over skimming.

raisemyrent
04-13-2009, 04:09 PM
I had trouble setting it but finally contacted rio direct. the included instructions were bunk but the rep gave me instructions and it runs without an issue. it kept losing its siphon and stopping. but once its set... which is a two minute fix it never stops.

is ther a achance that you could pass that on? mine skims well, but I cannot get rid of the micro bubbles...

paddyob
04-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Biggest possible is not good advice for a 10 Gallon. do a little research with local fish store too.

paddyob
04-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Push venturi tube all the way down. tighten the nut that is on tube. lift venturi so bubbles "just" start. everytime you adjust the tube you need to tighten the nut. i leave water level at highest setting and flow about 3/4 Closed. produces dry foam and thick green sludge in cup. these instructions came from Rio direct. the flow is all you should really need to adjust. too wet is probably to much flow causing bubbles to rise too quickly. let me know if that helps. i swear by this product

paddyob
04-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Hard to get rid of completely. possible you may need to try a different filter as the custom are cheap. try HBH Carbon pads. cut to size. change as needed. i went this way originaly as got the skimmer when first came out and replacement filters were hard to find.

raisemyrent
04-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Thank you, I modded it accordingly and it works much better. Microbubbles were reduced, but still present. they're becoming a pet peeve of mine. I am planning on adding to the baffle between the 2nd and last chamber at the bottom to see if I can stop the, because this would increase the velocity through there, which may drag more bubbles. Also, I checked the pictures and I didn't have the first badffle (short one) in properly... so that made it better. Also, I have the little plug on the side of the intake removed, but I may put it back in hopes of reducing microbubbles.

I don't use the carbon, I did during break-in and then threw it out and never looked back. I did reduce he flow as my nano provides as much turbulence as I need.

Also, I cut off about an inch off the inverted funnel that brings the skimmate to the collection cup, as I found that most of the gunk ended up in the tueb and not in the cup. It works well. I have neglected thinking about what this does to the bubble column.

One last nthing, I don;t get the super glueing what to what (needle to shaft?) to make it quieter. Coudl somebody explain with puppets?

Kryptic4L
04-24-2009, 07:58 AM
i would say if those are your two choice's pass. I've read many times that its a waste, and the prism is downright noisy and never adjusts properly.