PDA

View Full Version : Cool series of pics. Hermit out of shell.

DJ88
06-21-2003, 02:36 AM
I figure this little guy wanted to change shells and got blasted away from his old home to be stranded due to the current in my tank. Watched as it in vain tried to get to the middle of the open sand for it's home time and time again to be blasted back against the rocks by the flow. Finally I pushed a shell its way and in it went. :D Cool huh?

http://members.shaw.ca/canreeftank/pix/hermit.jpg

Beverly
06-21-2003, 02:38 AM
Cool huh?

Very cool :cool: You must really love the stuff that goes on in your reef :smile:

Trevor Robertson
06-21-2003, 02:38 AM
great pictures, have never caught my guys switching shells yet. Have been close but never seen it.

DJ88
06-21-2003, 02:44 AM
Trevor,

I figure that the current was so strong when it went to switch that it was caught by the force of it and was plastered against the rocks. I saw it do this a couple of times trying to get to the shells. Was funny to see. Like a leaf on the breeze. :D

Beverly,

I just treat all the animals in my tank with the same care that I extend any pet or thing in my care. Now if my Dottyback was still around that hermit would have been toast in 2 seconds.

Beverly
06-21-2003, 12:37 PM
I just treat all the animals in my tank with the same care that I extend any pet or thing in my care.

I guess I do too. Whenever I see a snail that's overturned on the sandbed, I pick it up and place it on some rock. Prevents a lot of untimely deaths.

Delphinus
06-21-2003, 03:28 PM
Darren are you a fan of Sherman's Lagoon at all?

Since your hermit has a penchant for running around naked, you could name him Hawthorne... :lol:

StirCrazy
06-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Whenever I see a snail that's overturned on the sandbed, I pick it up and place it on some rock. Prevents a lot of untimely deaths.

I stopped doing this.. my figuring is that I woulden't be there to turn it over in the ocean. on the same tolkin though, if my actions ( cleaning or such) cause it to fall and it lands upside down then I will turn it over.

Steve

BC_Grl
06-21-2003, 04:05 PM
awesome pics, Darren! :mrgreen: That is so cool.

sumpfinfishe
06-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Great images Darren :cool: , I have seen this twice in my reef, but never thought of getting out the camera :exclaim:

cheers, Rich