PDA

View Full Version : Custom Sump vs. Megaflow Series

Dobber
04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
If you had a custom sump built specifically for your tank for around the same price or cheaper than a megaflow series sump, which would you choose.

fkshiu
04-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Custom all the way. Those megaflow sumps are badly dated for modern reef use in that their trickle filter/bio-ball chambers are no longer necessary. There's also little to no room for a refugium and its tricky to install equipment such as a bigger skimmer or phosphate reactors.

You can build a custom sump out of an old aquarium for far cheaper that will be far more flexible.

Chaloupa
04-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I'd go custom all the way!! For sure! Way more options.

Nate
04-06-2009, 04:28 PM
I suggest Eshopps reef series. Newly avail in Canada. Filter socks, large skimmer chamber...relatively good pricing (much better than megaflow!)

And you dont wait ages for someone to build you a custom one!

Nate

fkshiu
04-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I suggest Eshopps reef series. Newly avail in Canada. Filter socks, large skimmer chamber...relatively good pricing (much better than megaflow!)

And you dont wait ages for someone to build you a custom one!

Nate

I built mine in an afternoon with an old 55 gallon aquarium and a few pieces of scrap acrylic. Total price with less than $50. Some people simply use a big rubbermaid tote.

There's no magic to a sump - when you think about it a "sump" is just a container to hold extra water; it doesn't have to have any more than that.

Atomikk
04-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Custom all the time. It will suit your needs not what they perceive to be your needs.

Here is mine..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Atomikk/South%20Millway/P1010166.jpg

Mrfish55
04-07-2009, 01:11 AM
I used a #4 megaflow for the store set-up and it is a P.O.S. dont waste your $$ on one of those, thin acrylic bows like mad when half full of water, go custom or look at the Oceanic sumps, comparable for price and better constructed.

Funky_Fish14
04-07-2009, 03:33 AM
Custom ofcourse!

(Lol @ no-sump option! Haha).