PDA

View Full Version : New Store Possibility

Gizmo
03-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Hey All,

I've been seriously looking into opening a store front in Spruce Grove. Part of that would be seeing if folks from the Capital Reigion would think it worth while to make a trip out to the Grove for quaility product and close to JL pricing. Would you rather buy hardware locally or online if the prices were close? Would you be willing to wait a couple of days if your product wasn't in stock vs ordering online?

I appreciate any comments.

Jeremy

fishoholic
03-13-2009, 07:18 PM
If there was something I wanted with a good price on it from your store I would drive out and buy it from you rather then wait on shipping.

vazgor
03-13-2009, 08:22 PM
i would rather buy from someone localy its'that helping the neibor thing as long as the prices were close like with in 10-15% and if i had to wait for shiping well the cheapest would win

Matt
03-13-2009, 10:50 PM
I think there is room for a quality reseller in Edmonton, doing things well. That's not too far away. There isn't anyplace in Edmonton that I'm very enthused with shopping at right now. There isn't room for another weak entry, though.

mark
03-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Had my tank up for awhile and not really looking to upgrade but if I was I'd be shopping for best price. If you could match JL's price (which I imagine would be rather hard) might go for a drive. Most things I do buy aren't really big bucks, then not that frequently (eg bulbs).

Livestock find I get most off fellow Canreefers so not really interested there.

One thing though that might relate, when I'm selling frags surprising how many people will pass when they find out were not on the same side of the city.

rocketlily
03-14-2009, 02:50 AM
I think Edmonton and surrounding areas could use a really well stocked store. I would rather drive to Spruce Grove (from east of Sherwood Park) to pick up hardware rather than do mail order. I would also like to see a store stock more of the unusual livestock such as gorgonians, colorful multi colored zoanthids, acans and more variety of LPS.

Instead of going to a local southside LFS bi-weekly, I would travel to Spruce Grove. Unfortunatly after driving there twice in a row and finding nothing new I would probably not make the drive again.

On another thought, I would like to have a new store become a sponsor of Canreef so we could discuss when the new shipments come in. Would really rather you were in Sherwood Park.

68shelby
03-14-2009, 03:30 AM
If the price is right and you have the stuff I want I would definitely drive to Spruce. That being said compared to the other stores in edmonton how would your pricing match up? Because honestly they are outrageous on some things.

ocean diver
03-14-2009, 03:57 AM
Hey a little off topic, but is Saltwater Fantasies still around?

noirsphynx
03-14-2009, 05:59 AM
I would drive to Spruce(45 mins or so from Bon Accord) for a good deal like J&L offers & unusal, quality livestock. I get frustrated driving into Edmonton and travelling from one end of the city to the next just to see if I can find something I might be interested in(I've done this twice in 3 days). So being a Canreef sponsor(who frequently updates!!) would be a big plus for me as well.

Boomboy
03-14-2009, 06:11 AM
agreed, if you can match jl prices almost, it is worth it, and more hard to find corals and fish, and well taken care of tanks. doesnt have to be big, but to get it locally is what id prefer also.

leezard
03-14-2009, 03:38 PM
First of all, what's JL? Is this a place I should be looking at?

I live in Wetaskiwin and go out of my way to visit AI on a nearly weekly basis at this point -- it's the only thing that brings me to the west end. My husband and I work for the same company -- he's at the shop on the east end of Edmonton and I am in Sherwood Park. While that area would definitely be a world of awesome for convenience, we'd travel the extra bit to get to SGrove if it were worth it....

AI is starting to get frustrating, however, since every time I go for a fish I want, it is not in stock. The only time I lucked out was when a shipment of percs came in, so I bought a pair straight from the box, as they do not go through a quarantine period anyways.

If something weren't in stock, I'd be willing to wait a few days to get it. Not like we have the convenience of popping in as soon as we could anyways. Unless, of course, it were something we needed right away.

If online purchasing were available, I may look at that for hardware.... I'd pick up any livestock, though.

jon.smolders
03-14-2009, 04:04 PM
You would probably get some business from Grande Prairie too, since I have to go to Edmonton to find a store anyway. You would be the last stop before the drive home. Buying livestock is the last thing I do before I leave the city, so yeah... I could shave a half hour off the time the corals/fish are in the car. And I'd probably pick up whatever dry goods I needed at the same time too, since I'm already there. It would also save me from dragging my wife around to 3 or 4 different shops around Edmonton trying to find what I'm looking for.

That being said, we're probably moving back to BC in a year or so. :)

Silentheart
03-14-2009, 10:38 PM
:smile: I would most definatly take a drive to Sprucw Grove for a quality Saltwater Aquarium shop. We need more Saltwater shops in the area.

dvleemin
03-14-2009, 11:23 PM
I would definitely buy local if I could. Not worried about things not in stock - as long as the price is very close I would for sure. And I even live in Sherwood Park. If you carried live goods at close to JL prices I'd for sure drive out.

dvleemin
03-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Hey a little off topic, but is Saltwater Fantasies still around?

Pretty sure they're not.

Gizmo
03-17-2009, 01:01 AM
So I've been looking at lease rates in Spruce Grove and they are REALLY high for a small town. I'll be looking around West Edmonton unless I can find someplace at a reasonable rate in SG.

noirsphynx
03-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Even West Edmonton would be a great location. I'm so tired of going to the south side to see what treasures I can find.

leezard
03-17-2009, 01:40 AM
I'm so tired of going to the south side to see what treasures I can find.

Hahaha. And the south side works better for me!! :)

rocketlily
03-17-2009, 01:57 AM
+1 for the Southside

Red Deer Reptiles
03-17-2009, 09:07 PM
wow cool ideal. just wondering can you keep up to jLs pricing.shipping costs is the 1 reason sw stores are expensive to set up.population density should be the biggest issue for you do you have enough sw fish people in your area to keep you going.to cover store costs,before your store is known to everyone.

Boomboy
03-17-2009, 11:04 PM
both southside and west end works for me, west end being the better. on a side not, make sure you upkeep your tanks so they look great. i really hate coming into a shop and seeing the tanks look like crap, it might take some work but well worth it knowing that if the tanks look great, then there livestock is well taken care of.

mark
03-18-2009, 02:17 AM
looks like neighbours if going to the southside

Marine Aquaria Inc.
2854 Calgary Trail South

subman
03-18-2009, 05:25 AM
looks like neighbours if going to the southside

Marine Aquaria Inc.
2854 Calgary Trail South

and Big Al's, Aquarium Enthusiasts, Little Oceans and Blue World!

bignose
03-19-2009, 12:24 AM
I would definately travel to the west end mind you there isn't much on the North side for stores. hint hint. I don't like paying shipping costs which is why I don't order online. If prices could match jl I would definately buy from your store.

Albertan22
03-19-2009, 01:19 AM
I'd love to see a saltwater store in the Grove :mrgreen: If not the Grove, then west Edmonton would be my next pick. The south side has plenty of stores already, and therefore lots of competition...

animalcrossing
03-20-2009, 08:45 PM
we should sit down and talk i have a few tanks and have done twice the amount of homework and have overseas contacts i do the store thing from my home now and mostly fish for now but corals and supplys are a phone call away call me or pm

dvleemin
04-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Anything happen with this?