PDA

View Full Version : Economy Crunch!!!

dsaundry
02-14-2009, 10:05 AM
So with the current economic situation, here is the poll.
Do you plan to spend more less this year on equipment livestock etc??

Duffer2
02-14-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm shutting it down! As a project engineer it's never good when the company cancels all the projects. No projects = no work = no fun fishy time!

whatcaneyedo
02-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Prince George has been going down hill for the last 3 years. We new this was coming long before the media started yacking about it. But I've already got everything I need equipment and livestock wise. The rest can be purchased with the money I make selling frags locally. :biggrin: So my system is pretty self sustaining at this point.

On the other hand the new truck I've been wanting will have to wait another two years or so...

michika
02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
My current tank okay as it is, and only requires two or three purchases a year to continue as is, salt, frozen food products, bulbs. We've changed our spending habits, and so far we are spending less on our 180g, but using that difference to put towards our basement reno & 1000g build. Overall I am spending less, but I'm spending what I do spend differently. For the record I clicked "way less" because I was previously spending a lot more, however my tank has come to the point where it doesn't need anything right now.

In general I can't really say I feel any sort of crunch yet, however I do feel additional pressure to be debt-free overall.

Cameron
02-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Increased volatilitity in the markets makes it easier for me to make more money. I admit I am spending more than before.

BMW Rider
02-14-2009, 03:54 PM
No plans to change what I'm doing now with my tanks. At least not due to economic factors.

My job as a firefighter is very secure despite the economy. In fact I'm in a position now where I'll be making some wage gains in the near future due to promotions and pennding contract settlement. Plus, we are currently looking to hire over 200 new recruits in the next year, so I have no concerns for my job.

When times were booming, we were on the tail end of the deal, but now is when its good to be in my proffession.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Certainly have been spending and will continue to spend much less. Not just on the aquarium though. Actually so far not at all on the aquarium...I have been spending more. But we have cut back with the travel mostly. Used to make sure we took a vacation each month (sometimes just close by like Whistler and other times to places like South East Asia) but this is going to have to stop for a while. I get paid in US dollars and by a US company, so I have taken a HUGE paycut this year.

It is looking like we may be moving back to the US relatively soon too :(

MikeP
02-14-2009, 05:48 PM
My job has been iffy for a while because the new management are a bunch of fools but I wasn't spending any less. Last week they laid me off after 16 years :mad: so I have no choice but to spend less.

Mrfish55
02-14-2009, 05:58 PM
I will spend way less this year but only because last years fish expenses included upgrading to a new 300 gal, in fact if I sell off surpluss equipment and put that towards the fish I will spend nothing out of pocket this year.

chandigz
02-15-2009, 03:52 AM
The only way I will be spending less is if the tank fills up. I'm an independant painter and am very optomistic with the island economy. Been as busy as usual (to busy actually), things still look good here. Next purchases will be black tang, chevron tang, clams, and coral, coral, and more coral. I figure, if we all stop spending it hurts our economy, so keep it going. If things slow down I will deal with it then. Good luck everyone.

awa1979
02-15-2009, 03:54 AM
I am only buying essentials right now to keep the tank running, and delaying some purchases, and am not buying any new livestock or supplies for the time being.

My income has gone down, so its food or fish and well I need food more then new fish.

Keri
02-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Hopefully Less (in theory....but i've never been good at that!)

Things are kind of scary right now financially, no new setups are planned...plus I've got renos to do allready from humidity issues due to the damn tanks!

I'm happy to let the livestock I have right now grow and we'll see what happens

christyf5
02-16-2009, 11:12 PM
I've been gearing up for an upgrade and stockpiling equipment, just have a couple more things to go, this year has been stellar for spending so far. Hopefully I'll be able to cool it soon. I'm sure you guys have seen my spending exploits on the board :rolleyes: :wink:

Mikee
02-16-2009, 11:25 PM
More or atleast the same. I just setup a horsie/pipefish tank about 4 months ago. Right now im still getting OT every day if i want :). But both reef and horsie tank are setup and everything is bought for the reef tank.. right now im just sitting back and letting things grow with that tank. With the horsie tank i plan to add another pair and some other pipefish and whatever else i find that would look nice and is safe coral wise.

Ian
02-17-2009, 03:07 AM
I plan to spend about the same...I am going to be building a 90-100 gallon this year but since I just got into the hobby last year..things won't change too much...I just keep buying more stuff anf talking nice to my wife

superduperwesman
02-17-2009, 05:44 AM
I'm shutting it down! As a project engineer it's never good when the company cancels all the projects. No projects = no work = no fun fishy time!

What kinda engineer? What company? P. Eng?