PDA

View Full Version : How long can a tank go without power for? FYI: power outage in Coq, Burnaby and NW

jus68
02-03-2009, 11:38 PM
How long can a tank go without airation?

I have a 75gal reef and the power has been out for an hour. I'm not too concern about the temperature but the power is estimated to be back on in 3 hours. So I go buy a battery operated airpump???

For those that live around Coq, Burnaby, New West, here's the area affected:
http://www.bchydro.com/outages/orsMapView.jsp?outageid=448755

0sprey
02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Three hours isn't too long, I've had power out for that long without any repercussions... but if you're nervous about it, you can achieve the same effect by taking a pitcher of water out of the tank and pouring it back in a few times.

banditpowdercoat
02-03-2009, 11:49 PM
I've had power out here for atleast that long. Everything fine. But the bucket and splash some water around in the tank every once in a while is a great idea

agent77
02-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Thats the best way and you should do it about every two to three hours . As long as fish aren't going to the top gasping you should be fine . Good luck

ElGuappo
02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
i usually run an extension cord from my car (via inverter) and run an air pump with stone.

i was notified of a full day without power due to upgrades so now i have a little generator i got for $100 at CT. i could run 3 tanks and a tv and DVD off it. I think its 1000 W

o.c.d.
02-04-2009, 12:57 AM
If you have a cordless drill you can mod a kitchen spatula to fit the chuck and spin or run out and buy a real paint mixer that fits your drill. That assuming you have one. Or siphion tank water in bucket and pour back in like a surge devise. Same as the pitcher method just upscale. I bought a battery back up that switches on when the power goes out so if I'm not hm it will still turn on, it will keep a single powerhead on for long long time esp the low watt units. Then for extra back up I have a generator.

brizzo
02-04-2009, 01:15 AM
If you have a cordless drill you can mod a kitchen spatula to fit the chuck and spin or run out and buy a real paint mixer that fits your drill. That assuming you have one. Or siphion tank water in bucket and pour back in like a surge devise. Same as the pitcher method just upscale. I bought a battery back up that switches on when the power goes out so if I'm not hm it will still turn on, it will keep a single powerhead on for long long time esp the low watt units. Then for extra back up I have a generator.

Bahahaha. Who needs powerheads when you can use a paint mixer!

And then the builds appear for whirlpool tanks....