PDA

View Full Version : Bedroom Tanks??

Rbacchiega
12-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Do you have one?

We've been tossing the idea up in the air for quite a while, and I think we're going to go with one...

levi1803
12-29-2008, 10:10 PM
I like mine being in my room, so my roommate can't see me looking into it at night with my blue flashlight and my yellow glasses lol. I'm not bothered by noise at all though, but have a feeling some of the noises might bother people. Don't get a pistol shrimp if it does, trust me on that one.

fishoholic
12-29-2008, 10:15 PM
I couldn't stand the noise of one in my bedroom, so no bedroom tank for me.

Rbacchiega
12-29-2008, 10:18 PM
I've been considering one...and frankly I'm pretty sure we're going to. 75 gallon display with herbie style overflows, 30 gallon sump with a 20 gallon fuge. T5 lighting...strictly LPS

LeeR
12-29-2008, 10:40 PM
herbie, eheim return and a tunze nano skimmer.. hardly a hum

Johnny Reefer
12-29-2008, 10:42 PM
My 180 FOWLR is in my bedroom. I have a pistol in there, too. I like it. It snaps a couple of times every hour?...hour and a half? Never timed it. As for the other noises....you get used to it. Except for when something is outa whack. Like the impeller on one of the MaxiJets I have running. Need to replace that soon.

Pleasant dreams :sleeping:,

levi1803
12-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah I kind of like listening to the pistol make his little noises, that's the only way I know he's still in there actually, never see the little bugger.

bignose
12-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Had my nano in my room before I moved. I liked to look at it before I went to bed.

Trigger Man
12-29-2008, 11:24 PM
I thought about it, but I'm a really light sleeper so in the end had my second tank in my home office.

ElGuappo
12-30-2008, 12:22 AM
I have always had a tank in the br as i find the sounds soothing as i sometimes have issues falling asleep.

mark
12-30-2008, 12:30 AM
No. Don't think I spend enough time in my bedroom awake to enjoy one.

Johnny Reefer
12-30-2008, 01:38 AM
No. Don't think I spend enough time in my bedroom awake to enjoy one.
Ya, definitely helps with the computer in there too. Been there before, without. That tank didn't get much attention, other than maintenance.

Cheers,

tang daddy
12-30-2008, 01:39 AM
I have my 120g reef in my room, when people come over they're like man how do you sleep with the waterfall noise?

My answer... it's kinda like watching tv and then the next thing you know it's time to wake up for work. I find the sound of water falling soothing infact I'm so use to it it's hard for me to sleep without the tv on or music playing and ofcourse once I am asleep, I am told I sound like a diesel tractor.....

Another thing with having the tank in my room is I hardly watch actual tv, I only watch movies and surf the net. I just got a seahorse in my sump so I've been busy up at night watching it.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-30-2008, 02:15 AM
My tank is beside my bed and dead quite with a herbie drain. I love having the blue moon lights on all night and being able to be beside the tank at all times.

I live in an open concept loft though where its basically just one big room with a separate bathroom and storage closets...everything else is just in the same room, so the 6' tank acts as a peninsula divider between the bed/living room and kitchen. I can't imagine the place without it. The bed is also a murphy bed that folds up into a cabinet...the fish FREAK out when I raise it up beside them! I find I keep the bed down most of the time now because they hate it passing by the side of the tank.

fiorano
12-30-2008, 06:51 AM
i have a self contained 15 gallon right beside my bed. hardly a noise except the slight hum of the maxijet and thats kinda soothing :)

Myka
12-30-2008, 05:27 PM
I am a SUPER light sleeper, but the tank creates "white noise" more than anything, so it doesn't bother me at all, and my tank is noisy. In fact, I find it helps because it blocks out all the other noises that tend to wake me up (people talking outside, sprinklers coming on, people walking upstairs, etc).

banditpowdercoat
12-30-2008, 06:26 PM
I am a SUPER light sleeper, but the tank creates "white noise" more than anything, so it doesn't bother me at all, and my tank is noisy. In fact, I find it helps because it blocks out all the other noises that tend to wake me up (people talking outside, sprinklers coming on, people walking upstairs, etc).

Thats the same with me, light sleeper. In the bedroom, I need earplugs. But I sleep like a baby when I pass out on the couch by the fishtanks LOL

nanodiva
12-30-2008, 09:32 PM
i have 4 tanks in my bedroom lol i'm used to the noise, i like it actually... i use to have to play a tape of waterfalls and streams now i dont need to lol the filters and stuff lul me to sleep. i have 3 fw and 1 nano sw

e46er
01-18-2009, 02:07 PM
i have my 120 sallt in my room and a 33 planted in my room as well but i can sleep thru anything and fall asleep no matter how noisy it is

justinl
01-18-2009, 04:54 PM
i have a big peacock mantis in my 75 so honestly, no. If the tank was guaranteed silent, i might consider it. maybe.

0sprey
01-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I used to have a SW tank in my bedroom... never again. Way too much noise!

PoonTang
01-18-2009, 08:45 PM
I couldnt have a tank in the bedroom. Reef fish need to sleep at night and they would probably complain that the wife and I were making too much noise :twised: Besides I might have performance anxiety if i knew they were "watching" :redface:

BlueAbyss
01-18-2009, 09:04 PM
I plan to start a small tank in my bedroom eventually, probably a 20g AIO with T5 lighting. A place to put incidentals and extras, so to speak.

awa1979
01-19-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't sleep in my bedroom (sofa bed) and sleep in the living room where my tanks are, and even with the noise it doesn't bother me.

I don't hear anything when I sleep, even slept through a fire alarm, that's a little scary though.

JDigital
01-19-2009, 04:42 AM
My 40G cube is in my bedroom.. but so is my computer desk. LOL

I sleep with music coming from a surround sound theater and subwoofer at night..... I don't think the tank will bother me. :mrgreen:

t_hac
01-28-2009, 06:37 AM
I've been considering one...and frankly I'm pretty sure we're going to. 75 gallon display with herbie style overflows, 30 gallon sump with a 20 gallon fuge. T5 lighting...strictly LPS

i had my 55gal in my room with canister filter, air pump 2 koralia ph's and u get used to the sound fast..

but with a sump and fuge and all the pumpage / water movement im pretty sure it would be too loud IMO..

Rbacchiega
01-28-2009, 06:42 AM
I'm pretty sure that with a herbie system and a well designed sump and stand the noise wouldn't be too much of a problem. I usually fall asleep while the other half watches tv so I know the noise wouldn't bother me....and usually the tv is on in the morning when I wake up so I'd assume it doesn't bother him either...

Marlin65
01-28-2009, 03:42 PM
My 40 is in my bedroom about two feet from my head, and I think I need to put in a new pump as the one thats in there is getting a bit loud.:sad:
But I like the water noise reminds me of when I used to live on a boat.

superduperwesman
01-28-2009, 04:05 PM
I had a nano in my room. It's gotta have a quite drain or it drives me nuts and even then if I got anything on my mind the lil bit of noise is enough to keep me up. I don't think I'd have one in my room again unless I had no where else to put it

o.c.d.
01-29-2009, 12:39 PM
I used to have my tank in the bedroom cool for awhile but I found my self springing out of be every time I heard an odd noise Then messing with it in the middle of the night. Tanks and inhabitants can make some really different sound.

Stevey87
08-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Water pump is the only thing that is loud so i set it up with actinic timing so that it's off during the night. The wave makers are on 24 hours but are quiet so that's ok. I have enough flow with wave makers alone so I can afford to turn the pump during night.

I have the tank in my bedroom.

triggereef
08-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Water pump is the only thing that is loud so i set it up with actinic timing so that it's off during the night.

yea i have a 40 gallon fresh water planted tank in my room and its nice, not to much maintenance and the plants make it look really nice.
so if your not looking at doing corals, plant make a nice change.:D

good luck!

Coincidentally
08-28-2009, 06:35 PM
We have a fresh water hexagon in our bedroom, the only issue is when the water starts to evaporate the pump sounds like a waterfall and well you know the sound of water first thing in the morning....makes you get up faster.

BullDog
08-31-2009, 06:19 AM
I've got my little 15 gal fresh water on my dresser (about a meter from my bed). It just has a Fluval 1 internal filter in it, so I can hardly hear it over the two FX5s. Oh, that's right, I've got 75 and 90 gallon turtle tanks in the bedroom too :p. A few years ago, I just had the 75 gal and a 404 running in it. At first, the noise was a bit annoying, but I got used to it. 1.5 years ago, I added the 90 gallon with the FX5, and didn't really notice any extra noise. Then about a year ago I upgraded the 404 in the 75 to an FX5, and didn't notice much of a change in noise.

Now I'm used to it. It's kind of like white noise. If the power goes out, it's too quiet without my 900gph white noise generators :lol: Only time I notice it is when the 24 hour cycle goes off when it's in the middle of the night, and I hear this big *blub blub blub* of the bubbles coming up :p

achillies
09-04-2009, 06:06 PM
i had my 8 gallon sea horse cube on my dressor and then just recently added a 25 gallon salt tank for shits and gigs. i'll try and get some rarer fish in it