PDA

View Full Version : Pest refuge anyone? .. little crab to give away

Delphinus
12-05-2008, 05:21 AM
Caught a little red-eyed crab (size of the little BC beach crabs) tonight. I know a couple people have 5gals or whatever for pest critters .. anyone want to spare this guy his fate that he'll face if I'm left to my own devices with him? I have rock in my sumps into which he'll disappear so sumping him isn't an option for me. Or anyone with an eel or octopus want a treat for them?

justinl
12-05-2008, 05:32 AM
I don't mean to hijack, but why does no one ever seem to get small unwanted hitch hiker crabs in vancouver?! My peacock mantis would love you for them!

Delphinus
12-05-2008, 05:40 AM
To be honest the most crab-laden rock I ever got (3 years on, I'm still convinced there are a solid half-dozen of the little buggers in there, I keep finding their discarded molts) came from a well-reputed store in BC. :p

Oh yes, mantis tanks. I forgot to list those.

I'd offer him to my eel but the eel already leaves alone the emerald crabs in the tank with him..

Oxymoron
12-05-2008, 05:48 AM
May I ask how you caught him? I have one I need to catch as well.

Delphinus
12-05-2008, 05:55 AM
The rock he was in, is in my carpet tank, and it's covered in aiptasia. I wanted to move it into my 75g so my CBB can work over the rock. When I pulled the rock out of the water I thought I saw something scurry inside a hole. I couldn't be 100% sure though when I looked it over but then I noticed that one of my abalones was also inside the rock. I tried to see if I could dislodge him to put him back in the other tank but I couldn't. But in so doing I noticed the crab again and I just got lucky in that I was able to get some tweezers on him and flick him out of the hole.

It's almost impossible (well, for me it's impossible) to catch crabs inside the tank, unless they do something dumb late at night like walk up to the glass out in the open. Been able to catch two that way but you have to be fast because once they're onto you there's no hope of catching them.

Diana
12-05-2008, 04:07 PM
To be honest the most crab-laden rock I ever got (3 years on, I'm still convinced there are a solid half-dozen of the little buggers in there, I keep finding their discarded molts) came from a well-reputed store in BC. :p

Ah! That must mean the rock was healthy! I find the more hitchers you get the better the rock ends up looking.... if you can control the lil 'uggers.

Alas, my puff puff and triggers would love that little crabby friend. ;)

BC564
12-11-2008, 05:45 PM
I will take him if your still trying to find a home for him

bleevin
12-11-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't mean to hijack, but why does no one ever seem to get small unwanted hitch hiker crabs in vancouver?! My peacock mantis would love you for them!

If you can give me a sure fire way to catch crabs I've got a couple thumbsized crabs I need to get out of my display tank that you can have.

my2rotties
12-11-2008, 09:48 PM
I would take him too, for my puffer...

mark
12-11-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm looking for something in my macro fuge in Edm