PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Sedra's

andestang
12-04-2008, 04:39 AM
Been having trouble with my Sedra 5000's on my euroreef skimmer. They quit working after about half a day, give or take (not usually at the same time). I've taken them apart and cleaned everything with vinegar and even tried the guts out of another sedra from another euroreef I have sitting around and the same thing. I can usually get them going if I unplug them for 5-10 minutes or so. Anyone ever have similar conditions ? I'm hoping a don't need a couple of pumps at once :rolleyes:

untamed
12-04-2008, 04:48 AM
If you have the spare Sedra, try replacing the volute. If the impeller is wiggling because of sloppiness in the hole in the volute, the impeller may be rubbing inside and generating heat. If you still had the problem when you used a different impeller, then the pump body or the volute has to be the problem.

Delphinus
12-04-2008, 05:26 AM
Can't remember, did you mesh mod them?

I had the same problem with mine. Noticed the magnet of the impeller wasn't perfectly cylindrical after about 2 years. Who knows, maybe it would have happened anyhow eventually and just the meshmod sped it along or maybe it was just the meshmod that contributed to the uneven wear and tear.

Anyhow if that's the case you may need a new impeller.

trilinearmipmap
12-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Here is a known problem with Sedra's I have read about and experienced with the Sedra 5000 on my (ex) Euroreef.

The impeller has a magnetic material which is a powder inside the plastic impeller casing. After a couple of years the impeller swells up until it starts to bind inside the motor, then you need to buy a new impeller.

foreverfortune
12-04-2008, 07:36 AM
this si why i needed replacement of mine, turns on and off every so often, bought a new pump and realized that my impeller was swelled compared to the new one, this could have been the problem, havent tested it yet

andestang
12-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Can't remember, did you mesh mod them?

I had the same problem with mine. Noticed the magnet of the impeller wasn't perfectly cylindrical after about 2 years. Who knows, maybe it would have happened anyhow eventually and just the meshmod sped it along or maybe it was just the meshmod that contributed to the uneven wear and tear.

Anyhow if that's the case you may need a new impeller.

No, but I was seriously thinking about it. Been trying to get my hand on a small amount of the stuff.

andestang
12-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Here is a known problem with Sedra's I have read about and experienced with the Sedra 5000 on my (ex) Euroreef.

The impeller has a magnetic material which is a powder inside the plastic impeller casing. After a couple of years the impeller swells up until it starts to bind inside the motor, then you need to buy a new impeller.

Thanks, I'll pull them apart again(such fun :confused: ) and see if I can tell. Anyone know who carries parts for these pumps ?

Delphinus
12-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Drop by sometime :p I have a tiny amount kicking around. Sold my ASM so no skimmer currently that I can meshmod anyhow.

Wendell (OceanAquatics) has Sedra parts. I've gotten both the pumps and replacement impellers from him in the past (both regular pump impellers and needlewheel impellers)..

mark
12-04-2008, 05:15 PM
where ever you get parts from this post (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47106&highlight=sedra) seems might have to be careful to get the right ones

andestang
12-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Drop by sometime :p I have a tiny amount kicking around. Sold my ASM so no skimmer currently that I can meshmod anyhow.

Wendell (OceanAquatics) has Sedra parts. I've gotten both the pumps and replacement impellers from him in the past (both regular pump impellers and needlewheel impellers)..

Thanks Tony, that would be great - hoping its a worthwhile mod.

andestang
12-04-2008, 06:32 PM
where ever you get parts from this post (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47106&highlight=sedra) seems might have to be careful to get the right ones

Thanks, ya I read over that post. I found that out when I was considering up-grading to a pair of 7000's awhile back.