PDA

View Full Version : Getting In...Gladly :P WTB list.

Fox
11-27-2008, 01:56 AM
I currently have a 33 gal freshwater tank that I would like to upgrade to 90 gal.

I am then going to turn the 33 gal into a saltwater tank.

So that being said my WTB list is as follows:

90 Gal tank and stand (If I cant find a used one I will be picking one up on Boxing day at Big Al's in a month.)
Hood and light for 90 gal
Rena XP3 filter
Heater

and for the 33 gal, I will need everything a saltwater tank requires.

I am starting a lot of reading but I am hoping to find someone looking to unload the equipment (maybe even 30-35lbs of live rock to get me started) that I will need so I can get it in one fell swoop.

Please message me if you are able to help me out.

Thanks in advance!

brizzo
11-27-2008, 03:10 AM
Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with small salt water tanks; but a 90 gallon would be much better off saltwater than freshwater! :D:D:D

Trigger Man
11-27-2008, 03:15 AM
I agree, you'll be thankful later. I found it a lot easier maintaining parameters in my larger tank then the 33g one I had running.

Fox
11-27-2008, 04:19 AM
Hehehe, believe me if I had the startup cash for 90 gal reed I'd be all in but "accounting" (aka the wife) wont give the rubber stamp for that one...heck I managed to convince her to go from a 10 gal to the 33 so I did make progress!

I have had 2 people offer me a Rena XP3...so I am working out those details but I still need the rest...

Thanks in advance!

noirsphynx
11-27-2008, 01:15 PM
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-90-gal-tank-stand-light-W0QQAdIdZ90581477

Fox
11-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks mate! I think that they are asking a bit much tho...I know Big Al's sells the same kit for $549 New and boxing day will be even less. Thats not to say I am not willing to buy a used tank, just that I think that particular one is priced too high...
Thank you very much for the suggestion tho!!!!!

Whatigot
11-27-2008, 02:04 PM
IMO, a 33 gallon will make a sweet reef.
You'll want to upgrade at some point if you love it as much as me ( I started with a 12, went to a 32 and now have a 72/15).

So go on with your bad self and get that 33 going and see how you like it compared to fresh.

Fox
11-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Hehe thanks for the motivation! I can't wait!!!

Fox
11-27-2008, 03:45 PM
In another post someone suggested that newbies should mention what type of tank they are planning to keep. I am planning to have corals(mostly soft) and fish and a peacefull tank at that...I am not sure the requirements but apparently they differ with the type of tank. I guess that knowledge with come with more reading...hehe

Whatigot
11-27-2008, 04:00 PM
With a 33 gallon, it will be much easier to keep soft corals...
sps or stony/hard corals need more light and more flow hence more $$$ for equipment.
There are some stunning soft coral peaceful reefs on this board, a great place to start is to look at the tank journals threads and see what some people have done.
Don't be intimidated by how expensive and ornate some of these systems are, you'll get there on your own time eventually if you get caught by the reefing bug.

There are also some stellar fish for peaceful and lower flow/light tanks (look at royal grammas, chalk bass, wrasses and gobies to start) so I think that a soft coral/peaceful tank is ideal for someone unsure of how far they want to pursue saltwater.

For a tank like the one stated, you would need pc or t5 lighting and about 300-1000 gph turnover in your tank (2 koralia 2's would work great or 2 mj 12's might do it)

A half decent skimmer (like prizm or remora) would work great

You'll find everyone has a different opinion on just about everything so the best is to pick your inhabitants and then build your system to make sure they are healthy and happy via the equipment you pick up from there.

I would consider myself a novice in reefs, only been into it for about 3 years and learn everyday about how much i don't know.

Good luck, happy reading.

Fox
11-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Great advice...some of the best I have had yet! I had someone mention to go at least middle of the road on the skimmer but I wasnt sure what was middle of the road...hehe

Thank you!

Whatigot
11-27-2008, 04:34 PM
You will have people consistently tell you you need better this or better that, they might be right but they might be wrong.

If you are keeping soft corals and s few fish, a skimmer like either of the two I mentioned would be perfect IMO.

I had a prizm running on my old 32 for a year and it worked so well even though it's less than 100$.

Remember that some people have more expendable income than others and forget that some are working with lesser means than others.

I love to things on the cheap, so I am biased in that respect.

Myka
11-27-2008, 05:50 PM
For skimmer, IMO Remora is middle of the road, and I wouldn't bother with anything less. I have a Remora now, and I can say I won't ever buy one again, and they kick the Prism's butt. Remora's aren't nearly as good as the better brands out there. A Deltec MCE-300 is only a bit more money, but a much better piece of equipment. However, the Deltec's are tough to find used.

That Kijiji ad for the 500g tank wasn't a high price at all!! Did you notice it came with an AquaLight Pro? That has two MH lights in it as well as actinic and moonlights. Of course, that's a saltwater fixture. You would be able to grow pretty much any corals you would want with that fixture. Coralife is kinda chinsy crap, but it still does the job. That fixture alone is about $500 I think. Of course if you bought that, live rock, a skimmer, a sump, and a pump would run you quite a bit more. If I was in Edmonton I would scoop that tank up in a heartbeat.

Leah
11-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Don't forget that if while a freshwater tank and you used copper at all, you need to
use something to clean it out. Anybody remember what to use? Its been a while.

Fox
11-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Interesting...Is there copper in the filters somewhere? I don't think I have anything else in the tank that would have copper in it other than a submersible filter...I suppose the heater might as well but would be copper be exposed to warrant contaminating the tank walls?

Fox
11-27-2008, 08:31 PM
That Kijiji ad for the 500g tank wasn't a high price at all!! Did you notice it came with an AquaLight Pro? That has two MH lights in it as well as actinic and moonlights. Of course, that's a saltwater fixture. You would be able to grow pretty much any corals you would want with that fixture. Coralife is kinda chinsy crap, but it still does the job. That fixture alone is about $500 I think. Of course if you bought that, live rock, a skimmer, a sump, and a pump would run you quite a bit more. If I was in Edmonton I would scoop that tank up in a heartbeat.

I am not going to pretend I know anything about lighting but that certainly seems like a good value but I dont know if its right for what I want to do...It would be good if I was going to make that tank the SW tank but I dont need that kind of lighting for my FW...

mseepman
11-27-2008, 09:03 PM
That coralife Fixture sells for $600 all by itself at J&L. I bought it for $1000 locally before I knew J&L existed.

If you are going to do the 33 gallon tank...my strong recommendation would be to put T5HO lighting above it. That way, you have the potential for enough light for almost any coral you want and in the long run, it's bulbs last longer and are much cheaper to replace. You'd pay off your investment pretty quickly.

I may get shot on here for saying this but here's a link to an Odyssea fixutre...not the best quality but not terrible either and it's CHEAP for beginners who very likely will change their equipment not too long after they first start.http://www.aquatraders.com/36-156w-ho-t6-light-fixture-advance-1.aspx
If I had known that I could buy an Odyssea fixture when I started for 1/4 what I paid for a "not much better" Coralife fixture then I would have more money now for the better equipment I want.

Again, that's just my 2 cents.

Myka
11-27-2008, 10:29 PM
^ Good advice.

Fox
11-28-2008, 01:27 PM
I am having issues with the Aquatraders website...When trying to go to the checkout it says that the certificate is expired and I am just wondering if anyone is having the same problem or if they have dealt with this company recently without issues. Just makes me nervous is all...Is there a place in or around Edmonton that I might be able to pick up that light?

noirsphynx
11-28-2008, 01:47 PM
I am having issues with the Aquatraders website...When trying to go to the checkout it says that the certificate is expired and I am just wondering if anyone is having the same problem or if they have dealt with this company recently without issues. Just makes me nervous is all...Is there a place in or around Edmonton that I might be able to pick up that light?

I checked out the site and it's working fine for me. As for a 36" fixture with 4 HO T5 bulbs w/ moonlights I doubt you'll find brand new for that price but I could be wrong. Reason I say this is because I bought an 18" (http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/2284/Nova-Extreme-T5-18%22-Saltwater/) fixture with only 2 bulbs & no moonlights for $80 locally.

Fox
11-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Wow $50 for shipping...I think I will have a look around locally first or see if I cant find a used one...

Fox
11-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Still looking for 90 gal tank and stand (had a few hits) but nothing panned out...

Still need Skimmer and powerheads and light (although I will probably pay the $50 shipping charge if I cant find one...) as well.

Cheers!

baker_jeff
11-29-2008, 03:11 PM
I have a Maxijet 1200 powerhead, $10.

Fox
11-29-2008, 03:19 PM
I will take it...any idea how many I would need for a 33 gal tank? Will one suffice?

I am hoping to be picking up an XP3 filter this weekend too so I maybe we can coordinate for me to come then...I am just waiting for a message saying its been found and unpacked :P

Fox
11-30-2008, 04:35 PM
So it appears I may have a physical lighting limitation.

As I mentioned before, I have a 33 gal tank. The light that is on there now is a 28" inch fixture and I have yet to see a light that is 28" for sale on the sites I have been to, in the posts I have read or in the stores I have checked...

I got this tank second hand from a friend and I wondering if it is so old that I wont be able to find adequate lighting to fit the canopy.

Am I not looking hard enough or am I out of luck?

Fox
11-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Double post please delete.

baker_jeff
11-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Do you think you could take a picture of the canopy so we can see what you are working with?

Jeff

Fox
11-30-2008, 05:14 PM
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/BradMulders/?action=view&current=IMG_7917.jpg

The problem is that it doesnt just sit on the top...it has a raised ridge that it fits over that ensures that doesnt slip...

Fox
11-30-2008, 09:43 PM
So I might have a solution to my lighting Issue...

I went to Aquarium Illusions to pick up a powerhead from Baker Jeff (Thank you sir) and they suggested that I remove the canopy all together and have them some glass to sit on the top instead of the canopy and then I can put any light that fit on it...

So I am getting a quote...

But I am not sure about it yet and I was wondering if anyone has a similar setup and how it works for them.

baker_jeff
12-01-2008, 12:11 AM
I have your glass sir!!! LOL

I have a 30" glasstop they made for my last tank, it will need the sides trimmed a bit but they can do that for you! I can bring it with me and meet you there some weeknight when the guys I know are working, maybe they'll do it for free. Anyways, it's yours if you want it.

Jeff

Fox
12-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Sweet!! What are the measurements exactly...The ones I gave them for the quote are 35 1/4" X 11 5/8". I might not even need it cut if its close.

I presume that its not just one solid piece tho right...Even as I think about how he explained it, he didnt mention any kind of hinged piece's for feeding...

Odd...just odd.

baker_jeff
12-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Oooh, your tank is wide. Mine was only 30x12.