PDA

View Full Version : Damn Heaters!

AndyL
11-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Oi vey... Heaters are really starting to p*ss me off...

Had one start to get finicky yesterday (cutting in at about 76, running the temp up to 82-83 then turning off). So I yanked it (good quality Won Bro's titanium - so not cheap chinese junk), Tossed another one in; check it a few times last night and this morning - all working fine... Come home tonight to the temp alarm screaming. GFCI has tripped. Try to reset, blows immediately, unplug the new heater - GFCI resets.

I'm running two undersized heaters, that's usually been enough to avoid these issues (and gives me more time to find these sticky relay issues) - however tripping the GFCI and taking 2/3rds of the tank's systems down was a new trick...

Maybe it's just my luck, but somehow I've never managed to find heaters that works consistantly... The won bro's have treated me well (given they're now 3 years old - most have been sitting idle for 18 months (had 20+ from breeding systems)) except even they've getting a bit unreliable; luckily they've always failed "off" thus far.

Anyone found a truly foolproof heater? I'll probably keep my dual undersized as a backup - but it's time to find a heater that I'm not going to feel the need to replace continually.

Andy

trilinearmipmap
11-05-2008, 02:46 AM
I am amazed that heaters are so unreliable, considering they are such a simple piece of equipment.

I haven't found a heater I can count on. Won, Finnex, Aquamedic titanium, Ebo Jagr - all have failed on me.

My current setup is two Stealth heaters, one in the sump controlled by an Aquamedic controller, the controller set to 80 degrees and the heater set to 82 degrees. The second one in the tank as a backup set to 75 degrees.

If the controller fails "on", the heater will stop when it reaches 82 degrees. If the heater fails or if the controller fails "off", the backup heater will kick in at 75 degrees. If my return pump fails, the in-tank circulation pumps and the in-tank heater will keep the tank at 75 degrees.

Aquattro
11-05-2008, 03:49 AM
I have 2 heaters, I've been using them for, hmm, must be five years now...Won Bros and some glass thingy.

marie
11-05-2008, 04:04 AM
I hope you guys keep having heater failures because then statistically I never will. I've never had a heater problem in my 16 yrs of reefkeeping (knock on wood)

and I use those glass thingys too

*Edit* I haven't been using the same heater for 16 yrs, that particular one was attached to the hood for my 20g tank which I no longer use. My oldest heater I bought used in 2000

Marlin65
11-05-2008, 04:16 AM
I have had three fail in the last month so you should be good for a bit longer.:lol:

lorenz0
11-05-2008, 04:26 AM
i have never had an issue with ebo jagers. really they are the only heater i trust in my tanks.

but running 2 that are reccomended for the tank is always a good idea. just because they aren't being over worked and die on you.

EmilyB
11-05-2008, 04:42 AM
And then, for me Ebo Jagers were the only heaters to fail...go figure...I honestly don't know what's in there now...

spreerider
11-05-2008, 04:46 AM
i have had a few failures but one i have had for over 11 years, and its just a cheap walmart brand chinese junk.
Im trying a stealth and so far its had no problems.
I have heard that heater cables have almost no failure, the type people used to use alot in planted tanks, the only part that can fail is the thermostat and since you use a dedicated thermostat to control the heater cables you get high quality on both.

Jason McK
11-05-2008, 05:37 AM
The answer to your heater problems
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45555

J

michika
11-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah well let me tell you, a 2 undersized heater set up is no better then a single set up or a 3 heater set up.

Tom R
11-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I use 3 heaters connected to a controller. I now have a ProfiLux controller and 2 x 250W and 1 x 200W heaters on a 525G system. Prior to the ProfiLux Controller I used a Medusa Heater Controller. I was struggling with the same problems heaters quitting and heaters sticking on. My LFS suggested the Medusa and it solved all my problems. I have even bought other peoples broken heaters that were stuck in the on position and used them until they quit altogether. All heaters fail sooner or later.

At the REEF NETWORK swap meet Jason Mck had a Medusa for sale, this would solve your problem once and for all.

Tom R

Marlin65
11-05-2008, 03:40 PM
And then, for me Ebo Jagers were the only heaters to fail...go figure...I honestly don't know what's in there now...

Same for me I think i have gone through at least a dozen over the last 10 years.

fkshiu
11-05-2008, 03:43 PM
External controller is the safest way to go. Going to be setting up a Ranco soon so I can practice what I preach.

AndyL
11-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Same for me I think i have gone through at least a dozen over the last 10 years.

My luck with ebo is bad too - got an old 50w in the 10g and it's been pretty good, however I have a habit of breaking the glass ones; thus I tend to shy away from them (Only took getting zapped a few dozen times...). Seem to recall there was some discussion once of the black ebo's being good - the green ones being crap.

I know some of the RC won bro's heater rant threads talk about adding a plug to the heater line (removing the won controller) and running it through a controller - but that bothers me a bit... Just how reliable are those controllers?

Actually now that I think about it - anyone know much about the won digital heaters? I've got the old dial type, last time toirtis ran a group order there was some talk about the digital ones being more gooder :mrgreen:?

Snaz
11-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Visi-Therm Stealth Heater
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12060

Shatterproof fully submersible. Only downside is there is no "On" light. I have been running this fine for sometime, anyone have issues with this line of heathers?

Black Phantom
11-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I've got two of the black 250 Ebo Jagers in my sump and after five years they are still going strong.
As a matter of fact, I accidentally submerged them (didn't read instructions close enough):redface: and six months later when I realized my mistake they were still going strong.
Go figure

AndyL
11-08-2008, 03:00 PM
The difference between the ebo's submersible and non submersible versions - was the year of manufacture... Basically there was a rule change with UL listing - resulting in the "do not submerse past this line" requirement; heaters didn't change in design any... Just the rules changed... So they're still the old submersible design, but due to requirements - they're not allowed to claim that you can submerse them.

Found out some of my problem is actually appearing to be partly HVAC related... Closed off the vent and things are going better (may not have been all heater related problems over the last few days).

mike31154
11-08-2008, 03:46 PM
i have had a few failures but one i have had for over 11 years, and its just a cheap walmart brand chinese junk.
Im trying a stealth and so far its had no problems.
I have heard that heater cables have almost no failure, the type people used to use alot in planted tanks, the only part that can fail is the thermostat and since you use a dedicated thermostat to control the heater cables you get high quality on both.

Hmm, heater cable... light bulb shining above head... I just installed some in-floor resistive heating cable in a small area I'm tiling at my living room bay window. Now I'm thinking when I set up my 90 gal with basement sump, why not incorporate something like that under the sump or even under the tank? This type of cable has its own sensor & thermostat and I'm sure with a little ingenuity, could be controlled with an additional sensor/controller for the water as well.

I plan to tear out my L-shaped kitchen counter and set up the tank on a new beefed up counter dividing the Kitchen & DR which is currently an open area. I was going to tile the counter with granite tile except under the tank which would have been just wood/plywood with a foam pad maybe. Now I'm thinking tile the entire surface and add the heating cable under the granite. Wouldn't use a foam pad then since that would act as an insulator blocking heat transfer to the tank. Alternatively,or in addition, a heating cable could be added under the sump in the basement. Voila, redundancy and no more dependence on finicky in tank heaters.... Caveat... just a 'little' more expensive than an aquarium heater, he he... How 'bout it, am I on to something here??

Here's a link to the co. that manufactures the system I have in the Living Room. Available at Home D. There's another system available which is a mat with the heating cable woven into it. The True Comfort system is a separate cable you need to install in a zig zag pattern with clips. Both are covered with a thin layer of mortar prior to applying the covering of choice which can be anything from tile to wood.

http://truecomfortsystems.com/