PDA

View Full Version : Filter sock or no filter sock?

trilinearmipmap
09-15-2008, 04:03 AM
I've never used a filter sock because I figured they would collect a lot of gunk. However my sump seems to be full of gunk and I noticed a lot of the TOTM's on Reef Central use filter socks. Just wondering how many people are using filter socks vs. not using them, and why.

marie
09-15-2008, 04:18 AM
I've never used a filter sock because I figured they would collect a lot of gunk. However my sump seems to be full of gunk and I noticed a lot of the TOTM's on Reef Central use filter socks. Just wondering how many people are using filter socks vs. not using them, and why.

I've never used them because I'm lazy and it seems like removing gunk should be a skimmers job :mrgreen:

Lord know I paid enough for my skimmer, I figure it should be washing my dishes as well :lol:

Marlin65
09-15-2008, 04:23 AM
I use them changed weekly. My sump is nice and clean other than the sponges that grow there.:smile:

banditpowdercoat
09-15-2008, 04:25 AM
sometimes i do, sometimes i dont. havn"t figured if i likr thrm or not

christyf5
09-15-2008, 04:25 AM
I use them, it keeps the gunk out of my sump. Doesn't do much for the main tank really, the detritus still piles up. If I could only get the fish to crap directly into the sock my tank would be fantastic :razz:

Lance
09-15-2008, 04:29 AM
I use them. Change every 3 to 4 days.

fkshiu
09-15-2008, 04:30 AM
As long as you're diligent enough to swap them out regularly they do a great job of catching crud and other particulates before they have a chance to turn into DOCs. A lot less crap in my sump since I started using them.

mark
09-15-2008, 05:06 AM
they do collect a lot of gunk, that's a good reason to use them. Figure if the gunk not being taken out by the sock it's just staying in the tank.

untamed
09-15-2008, 05:18 AM
they do collect a lot of gunk, that's a good reason to use them. Figure if the gunk not being taken out by the sock it's just staying in the tank.

That gunk is somebody's food!

I don't use them, but I do rinse out one of my sumps every week. The other sump gets partially vaccuumed every year or two.

Delphinus
09-15-2008, 06:17 AM
I use them in one tank but primarily for microbubble control.

I find it a huge pain to remove them and wash them. They are pretty disgusting after a week. And I hate that everytime I take it out, I'm killing about a billion copepods, brittle stars, bristleworms, etc. etc. etc. so I spend a ridiculous amount of time picking those off and tossing them back into tank, all the while cursing myself for caring too dang much.

Not sure whether to vote "yes" or "no" since it's only 1 tank I use them on. I don't really notice a difference in overall water quality. However the tanks I don't use them on, one of them I hose out every few months (it's a 20g tank so easy enough to empty and clean), and the other is a huge brown goo accumulation device and probably *should* be hosed out every few months - been a more yearly occurence in that one - and it's gruesome when it comes time to do it.

So pros and cons for sure.

wickedfrags
09-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Have used them for a long time and I have yet to see a "significant" downside.

They keep my beckett cleaner, I pull 2000GPH through a 4' sump without micromubbles and my sump has not the slighest amount of detritous in it after 4 years.

sphelps
09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't use filter socks but I do use mechanical filtration before the skimmer. As far as I know a skimmer will remove dissolved organics, so using filter socks or something similar will not hurt the performance of your skimmer, in fact it should improve it since it will stay cleaner longer.

Reefer Rob
09-15-2008, 03:37 PM
I've been using a filter sock on one of my overflows for about 9 months now, and I could never go without it now. Love that crystal clear water!

Oscar
09-15-2008, 04:28 PM
I voted yes but I actually use floss ahead of the skimmer not a sock. There is not a practical place to attach a sock on this AIO ahead of the skimmer.

I have used a sock on the skimmer output to lessen microbubbles. It sort of worked but I think I will try again with a different sock.

PoonTang
09-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I only use one when i know that i am going to create a big dirt storm in the DT by doing some aquascaping or something. I only leave it in for a day or so. Normally i run without one.

Trigger Man
09-15-2008, 08:21 PM
I use them and love them, my water stays nice and clean. The only downside is I am kinda lazy and hate having to clean them every 3 to 4 days.

trilinearmipmap
09-15-2008, 11:40 PM
It looks like a fairly even split.

For now I will avoid the filter sock and re-direct my sump flow so the overflow spills directly into the skimmer pump intake and the skimmer output goes outside of the skimmer compartment in the sump. Considering putting a filter sock on the skimmer output though.

Mikee
09-15-2008, 11:52 PM
I never used a filter sock and hope i never have too. Seems like to much work having to clean it out..

bigmac
09-16-2008, 12:44 AM
I love my filter sock! The only problem is that I have to clean mine every two to three days. I usually disconnnect it, plan to clean it, leave it for a couple more days, then remember, clean it, and reinstall. Therefore I only run it for two to three days per week.

Anyone know who has any in Calgary for sale? Last I checked the LFS's were all out.

yannicksjh
09-16-2008, 12:45 AM
I have a dual overflow, so one overflow drains into two 4"socks and the other one drains right into my skimmer. It is a pain to clean them out every 3 to 4 days but i like how it keeps my water crystal clean and eliminates alot of micro bubbles in my sump. Overall, my sump stays very clean since the skimmer cleans out most of the water drained into it but still pulls out tons of gunk.

Alberta-newb
09-16-2008, 05:32 AM
I use one on my overflow and another on my skimmer output. Since I'm lazy I bought 6 and swap them out every 4 days, when the last set is dirty they all go into the washing machine with just bleach. I check each one as they're swapped just to make sure I'm not killing too much. Did find that hitchiker crab last week that I've been hunting for the last month...guess he decided to go "over the wall" on his own.:mrgreen:

Patrick1
09-16-2008, 04:31 PM
I am going to say I am a very firm believer in filter socks.
From what people in the industry have told me filter socks are intended to be used for 1-2 days then replaced with a clean sock. The reason for this is they are mechanically filtering out larger loads of waste (100 micron) then sponges etc. You remove the waste filled sock before Nitrates etc start to emit from the trapped rotting waste.

To make it less of a hassle for myself I have 10 or more socks so I only have to wash them once every 2 weeks with turning them all inside out and rinsing them with Prime it takes me about 5 minutes worth of work.

Since changing to a sock system my skimmer works a tenth as hard as it did before. I have zero Nitrates etc. I have added more live stock to my system with out waste build up. And eliminated the pest algae. I also have no build up of waste residue on my sump bottom and they system runs with a lot less noise.

So that’s how things have been going with my socks. Seems to work for me but I am not you.

Oscar
09-16-2008, 05:16 PM
This has been a very enlightening discussion. Other than carbon and Phosban I have only used a sock at the skimmer output to reduce microbubbles. It was of mixed success.

Below is a photo of the back of my tank when it was first being tested for leaks. You can see that there are 2 overflows. From left to right chamber 1 = now full of LR rubble, Chamber 2 = skimmer which empties into Chamber 3, Chamber 3 = refugium, Chamber 3 = return pump and heater.

Any ideas on how to use socks at the overflows? Currently using floss with marginal success.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20/prairie56/DSC_3261.jpg

Patrick1
09-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Yes cut a piece of plexi to fit where, (I think thats a filter sponge) is and cut a circle to fit the sock. From the top the sock rim should rest on the plexi.

Oscar
09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Yes cut a piece of plexi to fit where, (I think thats a filter sponge) is and cut a circle to fit the sock. From the top the sock rim should rest on the plexi.

hmmm...That is probably heading in the right direction. I currently have my LR rubble in that chamber. On top of which are my carbon and Posban bags. And sitting on top of those is a temporary piece of plexiglass drilled with a series of holes. That allows the overflow water to disperse over the media bags.

(Apologies for hi-jacking this thread)

whatcaneyedo
09-18-2008, 05:04 AM

I find it a huge pain to remove them and wash them. They are pretty disgusting after a week. And I hate that everytime I take it out, I'm killing about a billion copepods, brittle stars, bristleworms, etc. etc. etc. so I spend a ridiculous amount of time picking those off and tossing them back into tank, all the while cursing myself for caring too dang much.

Not sure whether to vote "yes" or "no" since it's only 1 tank I use them on. I don't really notice a difference in overall water quality. However the tanks I don't use them on, one of them I hose out every few months (it's a 20g tank so easy enough to empty and clean), and the other is a huge brown goo accumulation device and probably *should* be hosed out every few months - been a more yearly occurence in that one - and it's gruesome when it comes time to do it.

I'm the same. I only use them for microbubble control and because of all the time I spend picking brittle stars and pods out they add another 30 min to my tank maintenance each week.

naesco
09-19-2008, 02:21 AM

I find it a huge pain to remove them and wash them. They are pretty disgusting after a week.

"And I hate that everytime I take it out, I'm killing about a billion copepods, brittle stars, bristleworms, etc. etc. etc. so I spend a ridiculous amount of time picking those off and tossing them back into tank, all the while cursing myself for caring too dang much

Great to hear that I am not the only one.

Atomikk
09-19-2008, 08:10 PM
"And I hate that everytime I take it out, I'm killing about a billion copepods, brittle stars, bristleworms, etc. etc. etc. so I spend a ridiculous amount of time picking those off and tossing them back into tank, all the while cursing myself for caring too dang much

Great to hear that I am not the only one.

This is why I don't use filter socks. They are high maintenance tool for waste removal from your sump.. and nothing else. If you employ one or two powerheads in the sump, you won't allow the detritus to settle and will be expelled from the sump. Also, you can get hermit crabs to eat the detritius.

Patrick1
09-19-2008, 08:25 PM
This is why I don't use filter socks. They are high maintenance tool for waste removal from your sump.. and nothing else. If you employ one or two powerheads in the sump, you won't allow the detritus to settle and will be expelled from the sump. Also, you can get hermit crabs to eat the detritius.

Huh? I am pretty sure mine removes the waste from my tank before it hits the sump. I am not too keen on swirling waste around to be pumped back in to my tank. Really I am sure the 15 seconds every other day I spend to change mine over isn't that time consuming. Anyways to each there own, but don't hack socks they do a good job if used correctly.

Doug
10-07-2008, 01:20 PM
If I expelled my detritus from the sump, it would go back into the tank, where I have mucho current to expell it into the sump. :lol: Not sure of the senario here.

Over the years, I have tried having the skimmer remove detritus from the sump. Yea, that works well and I have run some large skimmers. So I guess let it build in the sump with designed baffles to contain it for cleaning or use socks. One way or the other, one has to manually remove the detritus.

So I,m now trying socks, for the first time in 35 yrs. :lol: Cleaning them is a pain but no worse than trying to get that crap from one,s sump. For those that use bleach in a washer, {my wife,s going to love that one}. I wonder about using bleach to clean something going back into my tank. However I see some here and many on RC doing such.