PDA

View Full Version : DIY Zeo or Ultra Lithe Reactor

Chowder
09-11-2008, 05:15 AM
I got tired of shaking my phosban reactor to aggitate and clean the Zeolithe. I decided to make a pump still reactor out of my phosban reactor. To do this I bought some 1/2 inch acrylic rod , a 1/2 barbed plug, some 1/4 inch white plexy and weld-on 16.
This is what I ended up with......

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/IMG_2673.jpg

I started by drilling out the center hole in the lid to 1/2 inch to receive the 1/2 inch rod. I ended up loosing the barbed fitting on the out side of the lid. I had to file the hole a little so the rod would move smoothly in the hole.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/IMG_2671.jpg

I then took the two round red pieces from inside the reactor and drilled the holes in the center to 1/2 inch. I saw the flanges off on the one side of each piece so I could glue them flush together. I glued them together because I thought it would be more durable that way since they are made of brittle plastic. I then took a 1 inch hole bit and drilled a 1 inch washer. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the middle of it. I cut the 1/2 inch rod into a 14 inch length. I glued the two red pieces together then glued it to the rod . I glued the white washer behind it as a extra support.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/IMG_2670.jpg

I then started to drill the hole in the phosban tube. I drilled it out to 5/8 to fit the 1/2 inch barbed plug. I worked my way up to 5/8 by drilling a number of smaller holes untill I got to 5/8. I did this slowly because I was scared the acrylic tube would crack quite easily. I had to file the hole a little for the plug to fit. I glued it into place with weld-on 16. The reason for the barbed fitting in the bottom is to create flow from the bottom up.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/jkhchris/IMG_2672.jpg

I have not actually tested it yet in my tank. I will be setting it up in the next day or two and will let you know how it works. I am quite sure that there will be water comming out the top from around the rod. Similair to the actual Zeo reactors. Hope this helps someone .

Chris

Delphinus
09-11-2008, 05:25 AM
What a great idea. Good luck with the testing!

Jason McK
09-11-2008, 06:00 AM
Look'n good Chris. I don't think it will mater if water leaks from the top. the first gen Zeo Reactors just over flowed

J

Chowder
09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks Guys. I am going to try and get it up and running tonight.

Jason McK
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Try? come on. you can do it!

christyf5
09-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Wow cool idea, its a pain shaking that phosban reactor every day, one of the hoses would always dislodge and it would leak all over the place. I can't wait to hear how it pans out :biggrin:

Chowder
09-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I had the same problem those fitting are just not ment for that.

Chris

Chowder
09-12-2008, 02:41 AM
Got the reactor up and running tonight. Everything works like it should. There is no water comming out of the rod hole. I do not have much flow going threw it though. Just changed the whole Lithe out and can't run it at a higher flow yet. The only thing I would change is for some reason I did not extend the rod to the bottom of the reactor. The bottom red brackets stop on the 1/2 inch barbed plug and make it a little uneven. It would be solved if the rod was extended to the bottom. The plunger is a little hard to start but flows easily up and down after the first inch. So far I am pleased with how it works.

Chris

hecks220
09-12-2008, 05:32 AM
I shake mine every day or other day. It's actually a great arm and shoulder work out! Shake and bake

FlamesFan
04-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Any update on the reactor? Was thinking of making one, please lemme know the cons if there have been any.

Chowder
04-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Works great still using it. Only problem is when you get the flow up it does leak threw the top where the rod is. The other problem was the rod noyt being extended to the bottom as mentioned in the earlier post. I am pleased with it though.

Chris

FlamesFan
04-03-2009, 03:12 AM
Works great still using it. Only problem is when you get the flow up it does leak threw the top where the rod is. The other problem was the rod noyt being extended to the bottom as mentioned in the earlier post. I am pleased with it though.

Chris

Cool thanks man.