PDA

View Full Version : Hows everyone dealing with the summer heat?

cprowler
08-06-2008, 05:32 AM
Just curious on how everyone was managing, my tank gets up to about 81.8 so I'm just getting by.

I have central AC and use a couple fans but no chiller.

Chaloupa
08-06-2008, 05:39 AM
I have central AC also, and fans, on my SPS tank I have it programmed so that the tank doesn't get too cold and stays around 79-80 all the time...however in my garage I have to use a chiller on that tank as there is no AC in the garage and it gets BRUTAL!

marie
08-06-2008, 05:40 AM
My tank regularily sits at 82 during the day :mrgreen: , I haven't noticed any problems with heat yet but then my sump is in the basement

mark
08-06-2008, 05:46 AM
Have central AC but notice the muffin fans over the sump come on every once and a while (on a controller). Tank stays steady though through summer and winter.

cprowler
08-06-2008, 05:47 AM
last year when I had a mag 9 running and before I setup my manifold for return, skimmer and reactors (see thread) my temp would get up to 83 and shut my MH's off all the time and I had two more fans running.

The manifold and getting rid of some pumps really made a difference.

christyf5
08-06-2008, 05:56 AM
I selected chiller but I also have AC as the room the tank is in can get smoking hot and there is no decent air circulation which causes the chiller to blow fuses quite often. So technically I have AC and a fan both of which are for the chiller (and I often hang out in the tank room on hot days :wink:). I also wish the fuse store gave a discount, at $2 per fuse the summer can get pricey.

EmilyB
08-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Nothing. This is Calgary, we're lucky if we get two hot days a year....:rolleyes: and tank's in the basement which stays cool.

levi1803
08-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Heat? whats that? Crappy summer this year in Calgary. I do have central air though so if it does happen I should be good. :lol:

Snappy
08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Heat in Calgary? What heat? Calgary weather SUCKS.:twised: Coldest summer in years. If I leave the basement window open my tank temp gets down to 72 F and the backto 80 F with the lights on all day. My chiller is not getting used a lot this summer.

fortheloveofcrabs
08-06-2008, 04:04 PM
AC, chiller and fans. I'm not kidding around with heat. My 55g has a 1/10hp chiller and my nano has an ice-probe and computer fan. So far so good :)

That said, it really hasn't been that warm here (aside a few days, and one week) so it really hasn't been a big deal.

Haloreef
08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
My 80g is in the basement and has a chiller on it. It stays at 77 with 2x250 metal halides.
I am currently putting a 220g together. It will have it's own 10'x10' room in the basement. My 80gal will be pulled down and be put in the 220. the chiller is not big enough for the new tank so I will be adding a through wall a/c unit.

OCDP
08-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Basement! My new setup is in the basement, and I now have to keep my heater on as the tank will drop to 73-75 no problemo. It works well for me, because my tank stays at a constant 78 now :)

On my old system running 250w HQI , having the tank upstairs, I was getting 85+ every day. So this is a nice change.

Marlin65
08-06-2008, 10:10 PM
I was at 82 yesterday and thats with a chiller. Turned the lights off for a bit and it is back to normal now. Looks like my chiller is a bit on the small side.:twised:
Should be interesting for me in the winter as I have a air tight wood stove in the same room. One more reason I bought my chiller probably will need to run mine in the winter as well.

JDigital
08-07-2008, 02:26 AM
Basement for me too... no problems yet this summer...might have some problems keeping the temp up in the winter tho.. we'll see.

Robw
08-07-2008, 02:48 AM
I have central A/C and a chiller on my 50gal. Stays around 82-83. In my old house last year I had to use 2 portable A/C units and a chiller to keep things cool.

Delphinus
08-07-2008, 04:14 AM
I have central air but I pop a couple fans over the sumps. If it's not real hot outside the AC wont kick on as much which means, paradoxically, the tanks get warmer when it's say 22 outside than when its 31 outside. I have a couple extra box/muffin fans onhand all the time. I love Princess Auto for that sort of thing. :lol:

Marlin65
08-07-2008, 04:34 AM
I figured my temp jumped to 82* yesterday as my ceiling fan was off. Today with it on we are at a steady 79*
That fan must really be cooling my tank. :biggrin:

Aquattro
08-07-2008, 04:34 AM
I haven't checked the temp yet this year, but I'm upgrading lights this week, so might have to buy a thermometer. If I run into problems, I'll buy a small AC unit for my sump room, as my sump is bigger than my tank and should keep everythng cool.

Keri
08-07-2008, 05:04 AM
The saltwater tans are in the basement - the only cool part of the house!

fishoholic
08-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Nothing. This is Calgary, we're lucky if we get two hot days a year....:rolleyes: and tank's in the basement which stays cool.

Pretty much the same here, only I'm in Edmonton.

jpdutton
08-07-2008, 07:47 PM
I spent the last five years battling Toronto's summer heat, with pop bottles with frozen water, calling my wife from work to check the temp, shutting of the lights early. This year I decided I no longer want to worry about it and grabed a PCI 1/4 chiller. It works great, much quieter than I expected. The only downside of it is the size of the chiller itself.
I would have liked to try one of the new Profilux Temp Control units but the price was a too hight for me.

a4twenty
08-07-2008, 08:07 PM
i keep my AC at a constant temp ( both in the summer and the heat in the winter ) and have a basement sump that really helps keep the tank temp down.

Delphinus
08-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I find running multiple tanks, at least multiple tanks with halides, pretty much negates the "This is Calgary" factor, basement or no. :( I would imagine that more sane people with fewer tanks have less of a problem in this regard.

Okguy
08-07-2008, 08:27 PM
I have an in wall air conditioner in my living room (where my tank is) but I've always had difficulty balancing the tank temp in the summer because like most in-wall air conditioners there is no real control. I have to turn it on or off manually. Which causes difficulties when I'm away.

Last year I got a little smarter and put it on a timer (to come on during the heat of the day and off in the evening) but that still isn't the best solution because the tank would get too cool when the weather didn't heat up the house.

This year I managed to find a plug-in thermostat and Canadian tire. I works great! I set the temperature and it comes on and off as needed. It was 38 degrees outside yesterday and the combination of the air conditioner and fan across the sump kept the tank temp steady at 79F all day.

I can't find a link to it but it's built by Noma and you can find it in with the light timers. I think it cost $25. It works so well I bought a second one for my portable air conditioner. I now no longer worry about the wicked fluctuations of temperature I get in my tank (especially when I'm away).

Cheers

Oscar
08-07-2008, 10:29 PM
This year I managed to find a plug-in thermostat and Canadian tire. I works great! I set the temperature and it comes on and off as needed. It was 38 degrees outside yesterday and the combination of the air conditioner and fan across the sump kept the tank temp steady at 79F all day.

I can't find a link to it but it's built by Noma and you can find it in with the light timers. I think it cost $25. It works so well I bought a second one for my portable air conditioner. I now no longer worry about the wicked fluctuations of temperature I get in my tank (especially when I'm away).

Cheers
Does it work with the portable? We finally broke down and got a portable unit but I am not sure that the thermostat timer would work.

We have no other air conditioner. My tank has ranged from 79 to 82F. It has an add-on Ice Cap variable rate fan that kicks up its speed when the air over the tank warms up. Seems to work since the room temp has been hovering around 80F recently.

Okguy
08-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Does it work with the portable? We finally broke down and got a portable unit but I am not sure that the thermostat timer would work.

It works with our portable. One way to check is to test your air conditioner with a basic timer (you porbably have one for your aquarium). If you can get it to go on and off using a timer, you can probably use the plug-in thermostat.

HTH

Der_Iron_Chef
08-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I find running multiple tanks, at least multiple tanks with halides, pretty much negates the "This is Calgary" factor, basement or no. :( I would imagine that more sane people with fewer tanks have less of a problem in this regard.

It's true...Tony's basement makes me sweat!

Oscar
08-07-2008, 11:20 PM
It works with our portable. One way to check is to test your air conditioner with a basic timer (you porbably have one for your aquarium). If you can get it to go on and off using a timer, you can probably use the plug-in thermostat.

HTH

I will try this evening, great solution if it works.

Reef_Craze
08-08-2008, 07:04 PM
I float large RO/Di Ice cubes that also act as top off. One cube can bring temp down 2-3 degrees C.

michika
08-08-2008, 10:02 PM
OMG are you other Calgary people in the same Calgary I am in. I have been roasting all summer long!

Tank is running with a chiller, and I am running with ice and cold beverages.

EmilyB
08-08-2008, 11:53 PM
:lol:I guess it helps we have a walk-out basement. Just open the doors in the evening and turn on a fan if it gets that warm. Which it did yesterday.

JDigital
08-09-2008, 03:05 AM
OMG are you other Calgary people in the same Calgary I am in. I have been roasting all summer long!

Tank is running with a chiller, and I am running with ice and cold beverages.

We had 2 weeks of rain in June.. i should know, I sat home from work, because the jobsite was too wet to work.. haha.. It has not been a stellar summer by any means IMO.. However the last few days, have been 'warm'.. :lol:

michika
08-09-2008, 03:19 AM
It is 28 degrees IN my house...warm is putting it mildly!

Marlin65
08-09-2008, 04:31 AM
The saltwater tans are in the basement - the only cool part of the house!

Is this where your hair gets all bleached out like the teak decks of your sailboat. These salt water tans you speak of.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Marlin65
08-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Were back to rain so no more heat for us.:razz:

Patrick1
08-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Ice Cold Beer

Treebeard
08-14-2008, 09:05 PM
And lots of it!

Things are starting to heat up here (finally!). I splurged 9 bucks for a clip-on fan at Canadian Tire and will try pointing it into my sump.

Ice Cold Beer

REDNECK_REEFER
08-14-2008, 10:28 PM
I was going to buy a chiller until I saw the prices, and they add heat to your room as well!!! I opted to go for a large portable a/c unit from cosco. It cost me 450 and puts out 12000btu!! or you could spend 1500 - 2000 on a comparable chiller. I personally like to be comfortable when viewing my tank. so A/C is the way to go for me!!:mrgreen:

Treebeard
08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
A/C is nice but get ready for a shock when you get your hydro bill! :mrgreen:

I was going to buy a chiller until I saw the prices, and they add heat to your room as well!!! I opted to go for a large portable a/c unit from cosco. It cost me 450 and puts out 12000btu!! or you could spend 1500 - 2000 on a comparable chiller. I personally like to be comfortable when viewing my tank. so A/C is the way to go for me!!:mrgreen:

PoonTang
08-15-2008, 12:24 AM
I did the same thing too, bought a AC unit from costo to do my kitchen/familyroom where the fish are. It was all good until I upgraded my lights and now I have found out the hard way that the AC and Tank and Big Screen TV are all on the same circuit. Cant run them all without blowing the fuse.
:cry:

michika
08-16-2008, 04:24 AM
I am still roasting...the water in our taps doesn't get cold enough to even have a cold shower to cool down. :(

Mikee
08-16-2008, 05:10 AM
36 degrees today in BC, ouch! lucky for AC and fans :D my tank doesnt get above 83F.

EmilyB
08-16-2008, 05:12 AM
I am still roasting...the water in our taps doesn't get cold enough to even have a cold shower to cool down. :(

Now that is odd, I've never had no cold water in Calgary, just a few seconds in.

michika
08-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Even our crawl space is hot.

The fantastic thing about this summer is that when the chiller is running it doesn't feel like its pushing out air, it feels kind of cold.

The water is cool, but not cold. Its 26 this morning. We usually keep the door open, the dog gated, and a fan pulling colder air in.

JDigital
08-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I can't remember, but are you in a condo/apartment michika?

Johnny Reefer
08-17-2008, 04:05 AM
Were back to rain so no more heat for us.:razz:
Well, that didn't last long :biggrin:.

I was going to buy a chiller ...., and they add heat to your room as well!!!
Running two 1/4 horse chillers for two systems in a condo. Place gets to 84F +. Whew. Someone pass the Nestea, please.

EmilyB
08-17-2008, 05:47 AM
Just curious, how many of you react to the thermometer and not the tank inhabitants?

Chaloupa
08-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Just curious, how many of you react to the thermometer and not the tank inhabitants?

Used to, not anymore I just take notice of it...and don't worry like I used to. It was too stressful watching it go up and down...but when you actually look at how the corals and fish are...they just don't care as much.

michika
08-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Mainfloor condo.

I usually ignore the heat, but when its 25+ I can't really ignore it. As long as the system is colder the 84 I'm okay with that. On the other hand I personally watch the thermometer because I don't do well in the heat.

christyf5
08-17-2008, 03:50 PM

Definitely the tank inhabitants, I know what my tank can take and what it can't and usually freaking out just makes it worse with my too quick solutions. Heat swings are the worst for a tank esp big ones and in that case a slow fix is better. I usually try to have my fingers in the tank every day (usually have to massage the ultralith stones anyways) so I can tell whether my chiller has blown a fuse or not :razz:

marie
08-17-2008, 03:54 PM

I have one tank that doesn't have a thermometer on it and I can go for a month without checking the other 2 . Having said that when the heat gets to the point where I feel a need to turn the AC on (usually when it goes above 25) then I check on the big tank to make sure the temp hasn't gone too high.

So to answer your question its not the tank inhabitants but how hot I'm feeling that makes me react :lol:

Johnny Reefer
08-18-2008, 04:03 AM
The 1 month old Lifegard Time & Temp I put on my FOWLR says it's at 45.1F. I know my chiller isn't THAT powerful. POS Time & Temp.

Brent F
08-18-2008, 04:13 AM
I live in Calgary where it rarely gets hot outside and have central air as well. Tank never gets hot.

PoonTang
08-18-2008, 04:23 AM
Definitely the tank inhabitants, I know what my tank can take and what it can't and usually freaking out just makes it worse with my too quick solutions. Heat swings are the worst for a tank esp big ones and in that case a slow fix is better. I usually try to have my fingers in the tank every day (usually have to massage the ultralith stones anyways) so I can tell whether my chiller has blown a fuse or not :razz:

Ok so how hot is too hot? and doesnt it take a little while for the bleaching to occur? so that by the time the coral looks sick its too late?

BC564
08-18-2008, 04:55 PM
I came home yesterday to find my tank in the high 80's.........some corals didnt like it much and you could tell just looking at them.........I put some ice cubes in the sump and lowered the temp. the corals perked up with in 30 minutes......I have someone at home today to keep an eye on it.....

digital-audiophile
08-18-2008, 05:31 PM
My tank is in the basement so even during the hottest days it never really gets over 81Deg.

Last summer I tried a nano on the upperlevel but gave up becuase I could not keep it below 85 on hot days.

Canadian
08-18-2008, 07:41 PM
My SPS tank has hit 88 the last few days but the majority of the corals appear fine. The only thing that looked like it hated it was the popsicle pocci that had some RTN two weeks ago after I moved my tank. But it was already stressed so I'm not surprised that the added stress of the heat caused it to start bleaching.

superduperwesman
08-18-2008, 09:31 PM
I use a fan on a timer with the light but sometimes it almost gets to cold on cool days

christyf5
08-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Ok so how hot is too hot? and doesnt it take a little while for the bleaching to occur? so that by the time the coral looks sick its too late?

I dunno, routinely my tank sits at about 78-79. The tank has gone up to 85 a couple of times this summer when the chiller fuse has blown and I haven't had any losses. Too hot = when it feels like bathwater. Usually I put my hand in and go ahhhh, nice. When its too hot I go argggh! stupid chiller! you suck!!!! and my husband rolls his eyes :razz:

The bleaching doesn't necessarily occur as the temp rises, sometimes it occurs on the way back to cool. Depends on how fast/slow you "fix" the temperature issue.

landshark
08-21-2008, 12:17 AM
I use a window A/C unit to keep cool. It has a built in thermostat. Set the temp, and walk away. My tanks only raise max. 1deg. on the hottest days. At around $200, it's an inexpensive way to keep one and all happy.

BC564
08-21-2008, 12:23 AM
bucket of ice in the sump.......used as a controlled auto top off and has a cooling effect.......

PoonTang
08-21-2008, 03:27 AM
I dunno, routinely my tank sits at about 78-79. The tank has gone up to 85 a couple of times this summer when the chiller fuse has blown and I haven't had any losses. Too hot = when it feels like bathwater. Usually I put my hand in and go ahhhh, nice. When its too hot I go argggh! stupid chiller! you suck!!!! and my husband rolls his eyes :razz:

The bleaching doesn't necessarily occur as the temp rises, sometimes it occurs on the way back to cool. Depends on how fast/slow you "fix" the temperature issue.

Yes, my tank normally sits around 79 like yours but gets up to 82 during the day when the MH is on. Hit 85 3 days in a row last week but no sign of harm so far. I reeeealllly dont want to run a chiller if i can get away with it.

spanky
08-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Calgary has had some really idiotic weather this year, 2 days ago it was 33.7c , thank god it cools down at night. I have two ten dollar desk fans blowing in the back of my 28g nano-cube HQI when the mh's go on. and they do a good job. Usually i only use one, but with the hot weather ive had both of them going. I add maybe 1L of water a day, but water is cheap compared to a chiller. Max temp with the fans is 81 on the hottest of days.

Johnny Reefer
11-25-2008, 01:21 PM
The 1 month old Lifegard Time & Temp I put on my FOWLR says it's at 45.1F. I know my chiller isn't THAT powerful. POS Time & Temp.
My bad. My Pink Tail Trigger had chewed through the sensor cord :redface:. Anyway, just for the record. Can't claim that Time & Temps are pieces of poop after all.