PDA

View Full Version : possibly considering dwarf lionfish for my SPS tank

kwirky
08-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm humming and hawing whether a dwarf lionfish, like a fu manchu, would be appropriate for my 45g SPS tank. I think the flow's too high for one, and I think it'd eat all my small left-handed & fairy hermits

Any feedback?

i have crabs
08-04-2008, 04:06 PM
ive never had a dwarf lion but the bigger types ive had never did well in a tank with lots of flow, which a sps tank would usally have,also ive never had any hermits get eatin

Redoc
08-04-2008, 05:57 PM
I had a dwarf fuzzy that liked to nestle down in soft corals. I never had a problem with flow it would just find a place where it was happy.

J.Lloy
08-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I had a fuzzy dwarf and I never saw him go after any hermits or snails, the only thing I don't think I would gamble with would be any shrimp, or small fish.
The flow was medium rate and mine did like to jump.

mark
08-04-2008, 07:12 PM
old thread with a Lionfish link (here)
(http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27599&highlight=lion)

Stab_Master_Arson
08-05-2008, 02:58 AM
I just bought a dwarf fuzzy for my tank. It won't eat...much. I think I might have to go to petcetera and by feeder fish or something to entice it. You should be warned. I knew that fuzzy's were picky, but I wasn't prepared for this much stubbornness. it pretty much leaves everything alone though (coral etc). It just perches itself on a rock and waits for something to float by, then it investigates. The long term effect it might have in the reef will remain to be seen but I know somebody that kept a dwarf in their reef for years and it was very pleasant and hardy.

reefshark
08-05-2008, 07:55 PM
I just bought a dwarf fuzzy for my tank. It won't eat...much. I think I might have to go to petcetera and by feeder fish or something to entice it. You should be warned. I knew that fuzzy's were picky, but I wasn't prepared for this much stubbornness.

Try ghost shrimp(freshwater), shrimp are more the natural diet of fuzzies and please don't use goldfish what ever you do, the scales cant be digested and well eventually kill your lion. To feed the shrimp, just take a piece of fishing line and small sinker and put the sinker around an inch from the end of the line, then you can put the shrimp on the line (just shove it through the shell) and dangle the semi live shrimp in front of it. It should take the shrimp readily after a few days you can start offering frozen mysis and small krill.

reefshark
08-05-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm humming and hawing whether a dwarf lionfish, like a fu manchu, would be appropriate for my 45g SPS tank. I think the flow's too high for one, and I think it'd eat all my small left-handed & fairy hermits

Any feedback?

As long as you offer some hiding places for it to get out of the flow and out of the light then it should be fine. As for the hermit crabs it should leave them alone. but any shrimp and small fish that are big enough to fit in its mouth will probably go missing:lol:

karazy
08-05-2008, 08:08 PM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php

this is a good page in my opinion

Stab_Master_Arson
08-06-2008, 03:17 AM
Try ghost shrimp(freshwater), shrimp are more the natural diet of fuzzies and please don't use goldfish what ever you do, the scales cant be digested and well eventually kill your lion. To feed the shrimp, just take a piece of fishing line and small sinker and put the sinker around an inch from the end of the line, then you can put the shrimp on the line (just shove it through the shell) and dangle the semi live shrimp in front of it. It should take the shrimp readily after a few days you can start offering frozen mysis and small krill.

thanks. DO you know where I can purchase ghost shrimp? After work today, I bought some guppies and it hunted and ate them like a pro. I will try that "fishing method" though. Quite genius. :)

reefshark
08-06-2008, 04:01 AM
thanks. DO you know where I can purchase ghost shrimp? After work today, I bought some guppies and it hunted and ate them like a pro. I will try that "fishing method" though. Quite genius. :)

Theres the tricky part, it was hard finding a place that sold them pet zoo ( I think that was the name of the place beside price smart on Fraser hwy in Langley) sold them but they are now closed (Why such a nice place), and pet land in Langley also sold them sometimes to. other then that check with your local pet shop they might be able to order them in. It took about 2 dozen before my Dendrochirus zebra was fully on frozen food.

corpusse
08-06-2008, 04:23 AM
unless you have them species specific tanks you DONT want to feed them fish. How can they tell feeders from friends?

I have one in my reef along with smallish fish. Right now he could not eat them eventually he might be able to but I want to make him not want to. Thus I feed him PE mysis and that is all he eats. I feed him in the morning a few times week before the lights are on. He will not eat during the day and is afraid of even the clowns when feeding time comes around.

Originally mine did not eat so I bought him 3 peppermints and he ate them. After that it was Mysis or bust so he learned it was food. Now just a few short weeks later he's fat grown quite a bit and is starting to become a bit more bold during the day. He perches and is visable but doesn't move around much. At night and in the morning he is swimming around. However unless he could swallow a fish in one bite I don't see him able to hunt and kill a small fast fish like a wrasse.

Here's a couple pics of mine note the mysis beside.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/andrewkw/2pointO/lion2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/andrewkw/newlion2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/andrewkw/IMG_7162.jpg

justinl
08-06-2008, 05:20 AM
good thing you didn't get a fu manchu... their survival rate sucks. read that reefkeeping info sheet link in its entirety. That single link is just about the best link on the web on all lionfish care. jmo. It also has a very good section in it about weaning lions on to frozens.

Also just wanted to point out for reefshark that freshwater shrimp are far from a natural diet for a saltwater predator. feeder shrimp and fish are fine, but as mentioned, no goldfish. the shrimp, mollies and guppies seem to be the best. Feel free to mix it up a bit. Obviously a saltwater organism qould be infinitely better, but will probably be stupidly expensive by the end. It probably will not eat hermits... if it does then that's a problem since it will probably choke on the shell. hope you dont have any fish in that tank any smaller than the lion.

the key to weaning is to make the fish hungry enough to try something else. that means that you have to realize that lions have very slow metabolisms and often they can go for weeks without food. their natural behaviour is to gorge themselves at a single time, then hide in a hole for a long time. Do not feed feeders often... no more than one molly twice a week... or else you run the risk of ending up with a live food junkie.

edit: oh you will also want to try a variety of foods from krill to mysis to chunks of herring or silversides, etc. in the weaning process this is just to see what it likes best. Long term, it is vital because a single type of food will cause health problems. choose at least two, much more preferably three or more. Lots of people only feed krill for example and this causes liver failure (or was it lockjaw...? nothing good anyways).

reefshark
08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Aw come on now Justin, True enough that yes the fresh water shrimp are not their natural diet but cost wise for getting them on the frozen food items like plankton, krill and mysis, unless of course you have no cares with money then sure go spend the money on saltwater shrimp. :wink:

And yeah I agree a mono diet isn't the way to go your fish will live longer on a varied diet. As for the amount of food i feed my juv. zebra lion every other day as they grow they need more food, as adults twice a week is fine. Lions are often found with fatty liver disease from over feeding.JUST BECAUSE THEY BEG DON'T MEAN THEY NEED IT:lol:

corpusse
08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Aw come on now Justin, True enough that yes the fresh water shrimp are not their natural diet but cost wise for getting them on the frozen food items like plankton, krill and mysis, unless of course you have no cares with money then sure go spend the money on saltwater shrimp. :wink:

And yeah I agree a mono diet isn't the way to go your fish will live longer on a varied diet. As for the amount of food i feed my juv. zebra lion every other day as they grow they need more food, as adults twice a week is fine. Lions are often found with fatty liver disease from over feeding.JUST BECAUSE THEY BEG DON'T MEAN THEY NEED IT:lol:

How many times are you going to feed them shrimp? Once twice, maybe 3 times? Just spend the money on salt water shrimp. If anything it will give you the incentive to get them off the shrimp and onto frozen foods.

You're basically feeding them the salt water shrimp so they won't starve and to lesson the stress when they are first moved. In the grand scheme of having a lion in your reef tank spending $30 instead of $5 on shrimp is hardly going to kill you.

Stab_Master_Arson
08-08-2008, 03:14 AM
Good news. Since i forgot to go to petcetera afterwork I decided to give the krill a go again. I tossed in 3 pieces by the powerhead and the lionfish ate all three pieces. hopefully it is cured of it's pickyness.

kwirky
08-08-2008, 09:18 PM
ok so the discussion is sounding a little promising. I'll hold off on getting the fish until I have the time available to ween it off live food.

Ian
08-12-2008, 07:51 AM
I have had mine for about 6 weeks now and no issues at all. It hides most of the day but comes out in the evening and at night. It has not bothered a single resident of my tankbut that being said it is a little under half grown so we'll see what happen as it matures.

Mine is a pig. It wouldn't eat for the first day or two but then I offered him mysis with a little garlic and that was it. He now eats as many mysis as I will give him. I just use a turkey baster to put them in his line of sight and sit back and watch the show.
Easily my favorite fish in my tank