PDA

View Full Version : Tank Preference

ElGuappo
07-15-2008, 11:32 PM
What type of tank are you most fond of. vote for more than one if it applies.

Brent F
07-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Glad to see "reef" is winning out and not something like FOWLR. CanReef is so much easier to remember than CanFOWLR or CanNormalFW would be.

Pier Pressure
07-21-2008, 09:47 PM
I think most people prefer the reef because there are so many different kinds of creatures you can add to it. Of course this makes it really challenging, too, as the creatures tend to eat each other from time to time...

sphelps
07-21-2008, 10:10 PM
I have a hard time understanding why someone would prefer "Normal FW (plastic plants, Castles)"

I realize many have these but do they honestly prefer them?

karazy
07-22-2008, 12:19 AM
i think people enjoy FW because its fun, there are some very neat breeding habits, and SW is just generaly too hard and too expensive for some people

Myka
07-22-2008, 01:12 AM
i think people enjoy FW because its fun, there are some very neat breeding habits, and SW is just generaly too hard and too expensive for some people

Freshwater planted tanks are often more difficult to care for than reefs. Many people who have kept both would agree. Reefs have a lot more guidelines than planted tanks do. I can completely ignore my reef other than top offs and feeding for 3 months, and everything will be fine. Do that to a planted tank? BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

ElGuappo
07-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Freshwater planted tanks are often more difficult to care for than reefs. Many people who have kept both would agree. Reefs have a lot more guidelines than planted tanks do. I can completely ignore my reef other than top offs and feeding for 3 months, and everything will be fine. Do that to a planted tank? BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Agreed

Delphinus
07-22-2008, 04:56 PM
+1. I tried reading up on the tricks of the trade for really nice planted FW tanks and the information was overwhelming. Nitrate-phosphate ratios and all kinds of seriously high level stuff that I just didn't really have the interest in to take it to that level. These people spend way more time learning and doting on their tanks than do their reeftank counterparts, and .. well .. I like reefs better. :lol:

kwirky
07-24-2008, 06:59 PM
I remember when I switched my 120g reef to a 120g heavily planted tank thinking it'll be less work. Man was THAT a mistake.

Now only if I could figure out how to get plastic plants to breed. Hmmmm...

brandy
07-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi:
This was what my uncle (already quit out of this SW hobby awhile ago) keep telling me when I was thinking about getting into it: "SW is a challenge but the beauti of reef/coral you created is the most reward for."
So I guess, without reef, the SW hobby is just a difficult keep-up with not much rewards.

Stab_Master_Arson
08-06-2008, 03:42 AM
I prefer a reef with minimal fish. Mainly softies and some lps which I keep to certain kinds due to their aggressiveness.

I LOVE Brain corals. But unfortunately I haven't found he right one yet.