PDA

View Full Version : Ich?

Tigerarmy
07-12-2008, 02:59 AM
I just bought a couple of false percs from Gold's and when I got them home one seemed to look like it's molting for lack of a better word? and it has a few white spots that are only visible from a side angle? Could it be ich? If so, how do I treat?

Monti-Man
07-12-2008, 03:27 AM
In molting do you mean like skin sluffing off?

If so get it into quarintine as you are probably dealing with Velvet.

Here is a link to it and see if it matches up with is going on
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/fishdiseases/a/aa102797_3.htm

Tigerarmy
07-12-2008, 03:33 AM
Cryptocaryon sounds like what it is. A sort of clear mucus/ skin coming off top fins and 3 spots of white on back of body.

Tigerarmy
07-12-2008, 03:39 AM
I guess scarlet cleaner shrimp will eat it off, and I just happened to buy one today with the fish lol. So, I should be ok then right?

Monti-Man
07-12-2008, 03:55 AM
Ick doesn't involve skin coming off. That is velvet and will wreck havoc in your tank.
It may also have ick in regards to the white spots but velvet is what makes there skin slough off.

I would quarintine him/her and treat it myself as velvet can make its way through your tank rather quickly. So can ick mind you:cry:

Just my 2 cents worth

Tigerarmy
07-12-2008, 04:06 AM
It's more like a halo around him of clear skin that seems to trail him......and I dont have a qt tank made or available......Are there any other options?

Monti-Man
07-12-2008, 04:11 AM
Oh thats sooo not good.
I think that link that i gave you gives you some info on how to treat but i think your only option with that is to quarintine.

Maybe someone else will chime in, in regards to treatment or other ideas.

Tigerarmy
07-12-2008, 04:24 AM
What would I need to set up a QT? A whole second saltwater setup?

sharuq1
07-12-2008, 04:57 AM
Qt tank: just a bare tank, no rock, heater, if needed a pvc pipe to hide in. Can also include a filter (sponge or hob) with used filter material in it for an instant cycle.

Do you have any other fish in the system? If qt-ing and medicating is not an option you could always try adding garlic to their food every time they are fed for a period of time (hopefully someone on here would know how long is best). I have some garlic stuff at home for that purpose that you are welcome to borrow. I also have an "emergency" sponge you can have if you do end up running a qt and need that instant cycle.

Tigerarmy
07-12-2008, 05:03 AM
There are 3 other fish in there one galaxy damsel? blue devil and another false perc. I was reading there that I could give him a freshwater bath....or that my cleaner shrimp would help.....but if you wouldn't mind me borrowing that garlic that would be great. When's a good time? Should I still try and setup a QT tank?

marie
07-12-2008, 05:26 AM
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a rubbermaid container with a heater and a powerhead.
If you have an old hang on back filter hanging around you can keep the sponges for it in the sump of your main tank and when you need to set up a hospital tank, the sponge is already seeded with necessary bacteria to process ammonia (Just don't run carbon in the filter if you need to medicate)

If what you have is marine velvet then the only treatment that worked for me is copper.

Also google brookynella, it could very well be that

Red Coral Aquariums
07-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Set up a quarantine as Marie said but use water from your display. Medicate and make sure you have a constant temp and some air/flow. Do small water changes from water out of your main tank 5% x2 times a day. When he clears up acclimate (even though it will be nearly the same water minus the medication) it into the main tank. Keep us posted.
Kevin

ElGuappo
07-12-2008, 07:51 PM
i just set up a 10G QT tank a week ago it contains only a korialia nano a heater and rock.

my clowns developed something that was eating away at thier gills and fins. i dosed with maracyn for five days now its 5 days later and their about 5 days from getting back in the display. i have been doing bi weekly 15% waterchanges.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2661296207_a2621f9f8a_b.jpg

Tigerarmy
07-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks, I checked them again this morning and it seemed to be all cleared up? I got a cleaner shrimp in there...but other than that i have no other explanation as to why he looks good all of a sudden? Thanks anyways though