PDA

View Full Version : rs80 or rs100? need reviews fast, thanks!

bv_reefer
05-22-2008, 03:09 AM
hey guys, i phoned in ocean aquatics today and all they had in was the rs135, obviously overkill, wendell mentioned however that the rs80's and 100's are coming in as of next week, and i finally saved up to get one :mrgreen: , what i'm wondering however is whether the extra few bucks is worth kicking over for the rs100? i'm wondering about ppl's experience with this because of the short and wide body design of the 100, thanks in advance-

by the way it's a 33 gallon(sps dominant) and i should also throw in the fact that i'm starting zeo and need a skimmer that'll comply well with this system-

dreef
05-22-2008, 03:29 AM
I'd look to the future,and get the bigger model.don't get me wrong the 80 would be more than enough for you.I luv my euro..they really pull out the nasty noog.Never know when you'll get a bigger tank......

Sebae again
05-22-2008, 03:40 AM
The 100 has a larger pump . I have one on my 90 gallon and it works great. for the extra $ 30 or so it's absolutely worth it. So when you upgrade to a 90 gal in a year or so, you're all set.

bv_reefer
05-22-2008, 03:56 AM
thanks, just the reviews i'm looking for..so.. is it fair to say that the larger pump on the rs-100 gives it a little more efficiency?

Myka
05-22-2008, 04:18 AM
is it fair to say that the larger pump on the rs-100 gives it a little more efficiency?

Well it is rated for a bigger tank. ;) But ya, it is definately a tad more efficient. The RS-100 is my favourite model.

sphelps
05-22-2008, 04:37 AM
I wouldn't say the larger pump would be more efficient, in my experience smaller pumps have higher air to water ratios. I believe this is partially why larger skimmers tend to use multiple smaller pumps rather than one bigger pump. Of course the the larger pump will bring in more air but uses more power, so you can't make any claims about efficiency without at least knowing the air flow and power consumption of the pump.

Personally I would probably go with the 80, it's smaller which would probably be better considering space may be a concern with a 33 gallon aquarium and because I've seen a few 100s and 135s have problems containing air bubbles, again a big concern if a small sump is being used. Going bigger isn't always better, the larger pump on the 100 will likely cause more turbulence in the small body and since euro-reefs don't have diffuser plates it may not be as effective at skimming less stable proteins.

bv_reefer
05-22-2008, 06:58 AM
I wouldn't say the larger pump would be more efficient, in my experience smaller pumps have higher air to water ratios. I believe this is partially why larger skimmers tend to use multiple smaller pumps rather than one bigger pump. Of course the the larger pump will bring in more air but uses more power, so you can't make any claims about efficiency without at least knowing the air flow and power consumption of the pump.

Personally I would probably go with the 80, it's smaller which would probably be better considering space may be a concern with a 33 gallon aquarium and because I've seen a few 100s and 135s have problems containing air bubbles, again a big concern if a small sump is being used. Going bigger isn't always better, the larger pump on the 100 will likely cause more turbulence in the small body and since euro-reefs don't have diffuser plates it may not be as effective at skimming less stable proteins.
thanks can't explain how much that helped!
i actually found an rc-80 for a decent deal, what do you think about these as opposed to RS's? i noticed as you mentioned the use of multiple smaller pumps, such as on the RC's..

sphelps
05-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Never actually seen an RC80 but the RC models are definitely better than the RS, they have better craftsmanship and use the better Ehiem pumps. They can be used external, is that your plan?

andresont
05-22-2008, 04:37 PM

Same thinking here...
I don’t know why so people tend to overlook air intake, imo this is the most important detail in the skimmer’s performance, second would be quietness and power consumption.
For a sub $800 I would buy a skimmer with at least 600L/hr air intake, quiet and easy to clean, if the unit is more then a $1000 it must produce at least 1200 L/hr of air intake and would consume less then 90W or so of energy.

So disregard fancy names and marketing; check and compare the specifications. :smile:

albert_dao
05-23-2008, 01:07 AM
EuroReef has seriously dropped the ball as a company. I'd look elsewhere :)

bv_reefer
05-23-2008, 02:27 AM
the thing i like about them is all the great reviews they're getting, and you seldom hear about typical cheap skimmer problems like how sensitive they are to water level and clogging needle-wheel, etc. then again the next best thing would be the smallest BK, overkill for my tank no doubt, so anyone gonna chime in for the RC's?

Mik_101
05-23-2008, 04:18 AM

I doubt that
One of the higher end skimmer no doubt buddddd.

hecks220
05-23-2008, 04:50 AM
love my rs80 on my reef. used it on a tank just a little bigger than you got, and it pulled out tons of skimmate. great product...in my opinion over skimming can be bad as well when you have filter feeding invertebrates..

sphelps
05-23-2008, 04:59 AM

They've made a bit of a business change by now selling retail direct from the manufacturer. It's made wholesalers drop the product meaning most retail stores will not be carrying them anymore (such as J&L).

Not exactly a smart move in my opinion, manufacturers shouldn't sell retail but what are you going to do. I don't think the company will be going anywhere just may be harder to find retailers in Canada.

fkshiu
05-23-2008, 05:48 AM
Yup, from what I've heard they've yanked all retail support in Canada - get the leftover stock while you can!

It's their company and their product, but I not sure this is such a good move on their part.

bv_reefer
05-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Yup, from what I've heard they've yanked all retail support in Canada - get the leftover stock while you can!

It's their company and their product, but I not sure this is such a good move on their part.

i know JL doesn't get them anymore, but i hear that ocean aquatics and others are getting them in quite frequently, long story short i'm gonna buy that RC80 ASAP, thanks for all the comments :smile:

bv_reefer
05-23-2008, 06:50 AM
before this thread slows down, i gotta ask, whos running there RC external and do you get less power out of the pump when running the sedra off a Tee off the return as opposed to taking directly out of the water?

albert_dao
05-23-2008, 08:47 PM
I doubt that
One of the higher end skimmer no doubt buddddd.

... Sure thing man.

Mik_101
05-23-2008, 08:57 PM
:p... Sure thing man.

digital-audiophile
05-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Albert is my lord and saviour. I take his word as gospel. :)

As far at the euroreef goes, I like mine despite what the compnay may be doing on a distribution basis, they make a good skimmer for the price you pay.

mine will suit me just fine until I decide to upgrade to a BK.

albert_dao
05-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Personally, I think everyone looking to get a skimmer should just wait til Interzoo is over. Lots of SWEET stuff coming out of Europe this quarter.

zulu_principle
05-24-2008, 03:11 AM
Great skimmer and great support to consumers.

For some its a business, for others they work in the industry. Does there move maximize the profit potential for retailers, no. But,

OA will continue to carry this skimmer until something at the price point with equal or better quality is available.

From my discussions with Euro-reef you can also expect to see more models in the future.

All the best.

Wendell

Matt
05-24-2008, 03:28 AM
I've got an RS-80. It seems to be OK. Better than the undersized model I purchased as a stop-gap.

<hijack>The ER skimmers state emphatically that the output tube must be above the water line, but I find that makes mine too noisy, so it gets submerged. If you have one, how is it set up?</hijack>

bv_reefer
05-24-2008, 06:15 PM
I've got an RS-80. It seems to be OK. Better than the undersized model I purchased as a stop-gap.

<hijack>The ER skimmers state emphatically that the output tube must be above the water line, but I find that makes mine too noisy, so it gets submerged. If you have one, how is it set up?</hijack>

above the water line?? but from the pics i see the output is about level with the water pump?

albert_dao
05-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Great skimmer and great support to consumers.

For some its a business, for others they work in the industry. Does there move maximize the profit potential for retailers, no. But,

OA will continue to carry this skimmer until something at the price point with equal or better quality is available.

From my discussions with Euro-reef you can also expect to see more models in the future.

All the best.

Wendell

My impression of ER is that they won't make it through 2009 :)

lalala

Mik_101
05-26-2008, 05:21 AM
My impression of ER is that they won't make it through 2009 :)

lalala

Is it by any chance your jealous because of people with euro reefs? :wink::lying: i thinkkkk you areeeeeeee.. hahahaha btw lalalala(no hard feeling)

albert_dao
05-26-2008, 07:07 PM
... Dude, what planet do you come from? :D

FYI, I have an Elos NS500 and a BK Mini 160 back at home. Definitely no E-Penis envy here, I assure you.

bv_reefer
05-26-2008, 11:52 PM

FYI, I have an Elos NS500 and a BK Mini 160 back at home. Definitely no E-Penis envy here, I assure you. hahaha, wow two most random comments i've seen in months:lol:.. hey albert how are the Elos skimmers anyways? i see it's about the same $$ as an rc, so i just assumed there comparable skimmers, do they use the same needle-wheel design?

BTW he's from planet Serbia-

Mik_101
05-27-2008, 04:14 AM

FYI, I have an Elos NS500 and a BK Mini 160 back at home. Definitely no E-Penis envy here, I assure you.

Gondor primulan JT I come from mars DUDE.... Sтa ви дeлaтeъ ti i tovj zutianci .
Not everyone hear is a "business" guy hear.