PDA

View Full Version : Porcelain vs. Pom Pom

VFX
05-21-2008, 04:50 PM
I have a Red Polka Dotted Porcelain Crab (just less than 1 inch in width) and would love a Pom Pom too.

Do these guys live in peace together in a 34 gallon, 20" cube tank?

Other invert inhabitants...

1 Cleaner Shrimp
5 Sexy Shrimp
5 Left Handed Hermits

Whilst we're on the subject of inverts...

How will a Red Fire Shrimp fare in there? Will he attack my Sexy's?

Cheers!

VFX.

ElGuappo
05-21-2008, 05:00 PM
i have two porcelin and a pompom together with a sallylightfoot. also 2 cleaner 2 fire and a camel backed shrimp . all in a 34 g and they all do fine. its just a matter of having enough hiding places. pompom was mising a anem last time i saw him but he is doing fine. plus i have hermits aswell. i have recently started to use more flake food and the sally LOVES it. cant him him away . i have noticed that both my porcelins are missing a claw but they are growing back now. i have added more rock since i noticed this and chalk it up to not enough hiding places.

JUST 2 PENNIES FOR YOU .

Ps i dont recall ever seing them on the same side of the tank ever.

VFX
05-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Wow! That's a lot of crustaceans!

Good to see them all living in harmony!

I have just over 30lbs of LR in my tank with loads of nooks & hiding places so fingers crossed!

ElGuappo
05-21-2008, 05:39 PM
yes its lots i think the reason i get away with it is i have a PH behind my rock wall to blow out debris and many are content to sit in the flow there. which is why i rarely see them. the porcelins really like it behind the wall.

VFX
05-21-2008, 06:06 PM
My Porcelain takes advantage of the fact that I need more flow! She loves the crevasses between the rocks where debris settles.

She's gonna hate me when I install another PH & hook everything up to a wave maker! :)

ElGuappo
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
My Porcelain takes advantage of the fact that I need more flow! She loves the crevasses between the rocks where debris settles.

She's gonna hate me when I install another PH & hook everything up to a wave maker! :)

she'll only hate you for a day then get used to the new flow and love it m sure. i swear there is no such thing as too much flow as mine sit an inche from the koralia.

VFX
05-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Which Koralia do you have?

Mine are only 1's

ElGuappo
05-21-2008, 08:00 PM
i have 1 behind the rock wall and a nano on the rock face. i usually only run 1 of the 2 PH's built into the cube. just for skimming and filtration. i dont like the flow they give.

VFX
05-21-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm just using 2 Koralia 1's & the standard return pump on my cube. It's a Solana not a RSM so I don't know how they compare.

I just see a couple of areas where the flow isn't quite reaching & also would like some randomness to the flow overall.

BTW - What are your the Pom Poms eating? Are they just picking up debris or do you actively feed them?

ElGuappo
05-21-2008, 09:34 PM
i have never fed him he drags his anems in the sand picking up food andpicks through that. i would never be able to find him to feed him. i havent seen him in 3weeks. i only see him at night and rarely.

VFX
05-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the info ElGuappo.

Great that 6 yrs plus into the hobby & I'm still learning!

Just need to find some Pom Poms with their nems still attached now :)

ElGuappo
05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
i wouldnt think it possible to stop learning in this hobby there is just soooooo much to learn.:rolleyes:

No worries.

VFX
05-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Totally true!

:biggrin:

dsaundry
05-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey Viv; I tried to pm you but cant...send me a pm and I will be able to I think.